How Trump spent the war years

Republicans leading candidate for President

IT WAS THE spring of 1968, and Donald Trump had it good. He was 21 years old and handsome, with a full head of hair. He'd avoided the Vietnam War draft on his way to earning an Ivy League degree. He was fond of fancy dinners, beautiful women, and outrageous clubs.

Most important, he had a job in his father's real estate company and a brain bursting with moneymaking ideas that would make him a billionaire.

"When I graduated from college, I had a net worth of perhaps $200,000," he said in his 1987 autobiography Trump: The Art of the Deal, written with Tony Schwartz. (That's about $1.4 million in 2015 dollars.) "I had my eye on Manhattan."

More than 8,000 miles away, John McCain sat in a tiny, squalid North Vietnamese prison cell. The Navy pilot's body was broken from a plane crash, starvation, botched operations, and months of torture.

The stark contrast in their fortunes was thrown into sharp relief this month when Trump belittled McCain during a campaign speech in Iowa. "He's not a war hero," Trump said of McCain. "He's a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren't captured."

Please tell us about Hillary's military service, or Bubba's, or Bernie's

Now, Webb is the guy you dems should be backing. He has a good record, is a good man, and would give the GOP a good fight.

But you fools are stuck with the hildebeast and she will complete the destruction of the dem party that was started by obozo.

I didn't see Hillary mocking the heroism of POWs........that would be the leading Republican

Thats not what he said, not even close. but you libs lie, its what you do. We understand.

IT WAS THE spring of 1968, and Donald Trump had it good. He was 21 years old and handsome, with a full head of hair. He'd avoided the Vietnam War draft on his way to earning an Ivy League degree. He was fond of fancy dinners, beautiful women, and outrageous clubs.

Most important, he had a job in his father's real estate company and a brain bursting with moneymaking ideas that would make him a billionaire.

"When I graduated from college, I had a net worth of perhaps $200,000," he said in his 1987 autobiography Trump: The Art of the Deal, written with Tony Schwartz. (That's about $1.4 million in 2015 dollars.) "I had my eye on Manhattan."

More than 8,000 miles away, John McCain sat in a tiny, squalid North Vietnamese prison cell. The Navy pilot's body was broken from a plane crash, starvation, botched operations, and months of torture.

The stark contrast in their fortunes was thrown into sharp relief this month when Trump belittled McCain during a campaign speech in Iowa. "He's not a war hero," Trump said of McCain. "He's a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren't captured."

Now, Webb is the guy you dems should be backing. He has a good record, is a good man, and would give the GOP a good fight.

But you fools are stuck with the hildebeast and she will complete the destruction of the dem party that was started by obozo.

I didn't see Hillary mocking the heroism of POWs........that would be the leading Republican

Thats not what he said, not even close. but you libs lie, its what you do. We understand.

Whatever, he was wrong. If you don't agree with Mr. McCain's politics, that's one thing, but to pick on his military service record is a low blow. Also, as another poster pointed out, McCain is not even running for any elected office, so that was a bit pointless and quite childish, but I wouldn't expect many of the posters here to understand what "childish" and "petty" means.

Also, as another poster pointed out, McCain is not even running for any elected office, so that was a bit pointless and quite childish, but I wouldn't expect many of the posters here to understand what "childish" and "petty" means.

McCain fired the first shot. Trump was hitting back.

Whatever, he was wrong. If you don't agree with Mr. McCain's politics, that's one thing, but to pick on his military service record is a low blow. Also, as another poster pointed out, McCain is not even running for any elected office, so that was a bit pointless and quite childish, but I wouldn't expect many of the posters here to understand what "childish" and "petty" means.

to the other american captives in Viet Nam, McCain was known as songbird because he told the north vietnamese everything they asked for. His arms were broken when he bailed out, not by his captors. He was shot down because he did not follow the flight pattern that day and flew lower than he was ordered to.

what Trump said was neither childish or petty. but what you posted fits both.

to the other american captives in Viet Nam, McCain was known as songbird because he told the north vietnamese everything they asked for. His arms were broken when he bailed out, not by his captors. He was shot down because he did not follow the flight pattern that day and flew lower than he was ordered to.

It most certainly IS childish and petty and much more so than anything I've said on the matter. This is what I mean about the lot of you who post here. You are all nuts.

It most certainly IS childish and petty and much more so than anything I've said on the matter. This is what I mean about the lot of you who post here. You are all nuts.

well, you are right about one thing. politics is childish and petty. But you are very naive if you think only one side does it.

well, you are right about one thing. politics is childish and petty. But you are very naive if you think only one side does it.

Did I make that claim anywhere? No. I did not. What I am saying is that if Mr. Trump has a problem with Mr. McCain's politics, then that is what he should be addressing and not his military record.

Interesting . . . here is what one of Mr. McCain's fellow POWs had to say about him.

John McCain s fellow POW amused by Donald Trump s remarks - Washington Times

Asked if there was any chance Mr. Trump would get his vote, he chuckled and said, “No.”

He also called Mr. McCain one of the toughest men he’s ever seen.

“He was one of the most injured prisoners I ever saw in that prison camp — seven broken bones when he was shot down, and they were twisting his broken bones and tortured the poor guy,” he said. “And yet one of the toughest guys I’ve ever seen.”

Yes...that is what he said with a sarcastic sneer

That is the Republicans leading candidate

see post # 248. you are full of shit.

Also, as another poster pointed out, McCain is not even running for any elected office, so that was a bit pointless and quite childish, but I wouldn't expect many of the posters here to understand what "childish" and "petty" means.

You know, he could hit back by making points about some crappy programs McCain has supported and other things to do with his politics. I just think that bringing his military record into it is pretty low down and dirty. This is one of the things that I do NOT like about Donald Trump, why I would not and do not trust him or take him very seriously. Mr. McCain's military record stands for itself. He IS considered to be a hero. He was a POW in a war in which Donald Trump never even served. If he wants to be taken seriously, he should probably make an apology because he made a mistake there and if he is serious about being president, that could change people's minds.

Post #248 is my post. :)

Post #248 is my post. :)

I know and you accurately cited the quotes. I want the idiot winger to read them.

You know, he could hit back by making points about some crappy programs McCain has supported and other things to do with his politics. I just think that bringing his military record into it is pretty low down and dirty. This is one of the things that I do NOT like about Donald Trump, why I would not and do not trust him or take him very seriously. Mr. McCain's military record stands for itself. He IS considered to be a hero. He was a POW in a war in which Donald Trump never even served. If he wants to be taken seriously, he should probably make an apology because he made a mistake there and if he is serious about being president, that could change people's minds.

well why don't you go on his website and give him your valuable advice?

well why don't you go on his website and give him your valuable advice?

I probably should. Someone needs to give him advice. :D

That post does nothing to help your case

Did I make that claim anywhere? No. I did not. What I am saying is that if Mr. Trump has a problem with Mr. McCain's politics, then that is what he should be addressing and not his military record.

Interesting . . . here is what one of Mr. McCain's fellow POWs had to say about him.

Asked if there was any chance Mr. Trump would get his vote, he chuckled and said, “No.”

“He was one of the most injured prisoners I ever saw in that prison camp — seven broken bones when he was shot down, and they were twisting his broken bones and tortured the poor guy,” he said. “And yet one of the toughest guys I’ve ever seen.”

Thank you, I had not seen the WT article. Nice to know someone who knows what the hell they're talking about spoke up.

Thank you, I had not seen the WT article. Nice to know someone who knows what the hell they're talking about spoke up.

I see you are new! Welcome! Enjoy the nuthouse! :D

You voted for a guy who called all the military baby killers and terrorists, so obviously this isn't a standard to you

Forum List

Back