How Would You Describe What's Happening Here?

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
Is the citizen in the wrong or is the authoritarian in the wrong?

What say you, and why?

A commenter had the best response to the cop:

"you dont look like you should be a cop"

Nope. Cant defend the cop here

Show your ID and end the conversation.

Then you report him to the police commission.

My answer: the policeman. I can't get past the fact that the officer had no reason to pull him over. On the plus side it ended with the young man asking, “Am I free to go?” and the officer saying yes. I've heard of worse endings.

And that'll get him what?

Police department take a dim view of anything that would cost them a potentially lucrative civil suit. Particularly when it's recorded on camera.

The department would have to throw the officer under the bus.

Is anyone in the wrong in this scenario...if so, then who?

First, no video clip tells the full story of any encounter. I wouldn't condemn anyone based on a YouTube clip without subsequent verification. But, if the officer did indeed say what he said in the context shown, he made a widely prejudicial and stupid statement.

The best way to handle stupidity in this type of situation is as non-confrontational as possible. Then use the system that is in place to deal with it.

Document as much as possible and use your evidence to make a case against the officer who acted stupidly.

And that'll get him what?

Police department take a dim view of anything that would cost them a potentially lucrative civil suit. Particularly when it's recorded on camera.

The department would have to throw the officer under the bus.

If he just gave the information like you suggest, there would be no reason to believe there would be a costly civil suit. The cop would have gotten away with harassing the man, and be more likely to do the same the next time. Cops have rules they are supposed to follow. That bad cop didn't follow them. Any cop who would defend his actions is also a bad cop. Follow the rules. Being a cop doesn't make you God.

We know there are cops who go over the line with violence and Racism. But there are far more who do their very difficult and dangerous jobs very well. But with "gotcha" video, we only see the bad actors.

We know there are cops who go over the line with violence and Racism. But there are far more who do their very difficult and dangerous jobs very well. But with "gotcha" video, we only see the bad actors.

Cull the bad cops instead of supporting and defending them, and cops might regain the respect that those bad actors destroyed.

I would describe it as a segregationist black poster obsessed with race and in denial of the fatherlessness that leads to the propensity of black males getting into trouble and thereby generating a profile that warrants apprehension.

Sure you would describe it that way, but you're nuts. The cop was fishing without a license.

First, no video clip tells the full story of any encounter. I wouldn't condemn anyone based on a YouTube clip without subsequent verification. But, if the officer did indeed say what he said in the context shown, he made a widely prejudicial and stupid statement.

The best way to handle stupidity in this type of situation is as non-confrontational as possible. Then use the system that is in place to deal with it.

Document as much as possible and use your evidence to make a case against the officer who acted stupidly.
Seems you've been programmed, and programmed well.

That's some damn good code.

I would describe it as a segregationist black poster obsessed with race and in denial of the fatherlessness that leads to the propensity of black males getting into trouble and thereby generating a profile that warrants apprehension.

Sure you would describe it that way, but you're nuts. The cop was fishing without a license.
I wasn’t even talking about the video. I commented on the OP and his motive for the thread.

I wasn’t even talking about the video. I commented on the OP and his motive for the thread.

OK -------See #13

OK -------See #13
Has nothing to do with my post.

OK -------See #13

All your posts are nuts.

OK -------See #13

All your posts are nuts.
No, they’re usually very pointed.

Forum List

Back