I am an ex convict and I have the right to vote. Is that a problem for you? If so why?

I've said way more than I intended to share. And that leads to my one true downfall.... alcohol.

At this point I'm at the mercy of the board to not be a dick with the information I've stupidly shared.

I'm out.......

Runaway Train is near the top of all movies I have watched but only rates two and one half stars and should have won multiple Oscar's.

What did you do steal an old lady's purse? You pussy....
I tried to kill the moron that stole my drug money. Then I beat his dad half to death for interfering.
Did you steal the drug money from someone else?
No, I was dealing. I was a scumbag thug. He tried to rip me off and in my infinite wisdom I thought putting him in my trunk and taking him out in a cornfield to break his legs was a good idea. We were both in our late teens and his dad got involved. He brought a gun instead of the cash. He was too scared to use it so I beat him down with a bumper jack from a car. They snitched on me of course so after I bailed out I went over to their house with molotov cocktails and fire bombed their house.
I got 5 to 15 years. Spent nearly one year in the hole because of my anger issues. Then found God, which I now believe is a hoax, then turned my life around.

ANYONE can change
To be honest I am sympathetic to your OP. You should have the right to vote once you served your time.

I disagree. Merely serving out your time is not enough. I feel there must be evidence of rehabilitation, and contrition, before those rights are restored.
I disagree with your disagreement. Once you have served your time you shouldnt be punished further. Not only is that unfair but who should sit in judgement regarding your level of rehab or contrition? Prisons dont rehab for starters.

I tried to kill the moron that stole my drug money. Then I beat his dad half to death for interfering.
No, I was dealing. I was a scumbag thug. He tried to rip me off and in my infinite wisdom I thought putting him in my trunk and taking him out in a cornfield to break his legs was a good idea. We were both in our late teens and his dad got involved. He brought a gun instead of the cash. He was too scared to use it so I beat him down with a bumper jack from a car. They snitched on me of course so after I bailed out I went over to their house with molotov cocktails and fire bombed their house.
I got 5 to 15 years. Spent nearly one year in the hole because of my anger issues. Then found God, which I now believe is a hoax, then turned my life around.

ANYONE can change
To be honest I am sympathetic to your OP. You should have the right to vote once you served your time.

I disagree. Merely serving out your time is not enough. I feel there must be evidence of rehabilitation, and contrition, before those rights are restored.
I disagree with your disagreement. Once you have served your time you shouldnt be punished further. Not only is that unfair but who should sit in judgement regarding your level of rehab or contrition? Prisons dont rehab for starters.

I should have qualified my statement a little. Certain felonies I would agree with you. However, some crimes are serious enough that they preclude you from regaining your rights without serious, documentable effort. When you have demonstrated through your illegal behavior that you don't care about the rights of others, you clearly don't deserve yours.

ANYONE can change

I should have qualified my statement a little. Certain felonies I would agree with you. However, some crimes are serious enough that they preclude you from regaining your rights without serious, documentable effort. When you have demonstrated through your illegal behavior that you don't care about the rights of others, you clearly don't deserve yours.
How would you justify taking away a persons right to vote after they have served their time for said crime? You would have to make that part of their original sentence which had nada to do with their crime unless it was voter fraud. Dont get me wrong. I would rather shoot rapist, child molesters and murderers instead of housing them which would effectively keep them from voting ever again.

ANYONE can change

Voter Fraud = Stuffing the Ballot.

How would you justify taking away a persons right to vote after they have served their time for said crime? You would have to make that part of their original sentence which had nada to do with their crime unless it was voter fraud. Dont get me wrong. I would rather shoot rapist, child molesters and murderers instead of housing them which would effectively keep them from voting ever again.

Voter Fraud = Stuffing the Ballot

ANYONE can change

How would you justify taking away a persons right to vote after they have served their time for said crime? You would have to make that part of their original sentence which had nada to do with their crime unless it was voter fraud.

First off I want to thank Westwall for cleaning up my stupidity.

With that out of the way I have to agree with asslips, sorry too drunk to spell it right lol,

I think only voter or political crimes should preclude you from retaining your voting rights.
Gun rights is another story. If I were not me and I was looking from the outside in there is no way in hell I would agree to a person, like me sadly, getting their gun rights back.
I did hire a lawyer earlier this year and tried to petition the court to hear my case for expungement but it was a fruitless endeavor. It has been since 1985 that I committed my offences but some things, while forgiven, can't be washed under the rug. I get it.
Just like I wouldn't want a pedophile to be released, others justifiably so, don't trust me.

It is a price to pay for my poor choices but my voting rights? Who exactly does that threaten or harm?

You are the victim of racism. Many blacks are arrested and convicted of felony's in a purposeful attempt to reject them as potential voters. If it were otherwise the war on drugs would have been called lost a long time ago and it would not still be the useful tool it is to disenfranchise blacks. You are just collateral damage.
I'm white

Fun facts, or ironic, about prison life....

Guns & Roses was popular while I served my time. The administration took this popularity to new heights a couple years after I got there. On Tuesdays, new orientation days, they would parade the "new meat" through two cell blocks on their way to a private block that they stayed in for the first 30 days. During this "parade" they played Welcome to the Jungle over the loud speakers for the whole prison to hear.

On Sundays, linen change days, we got one hour of open cells to mingle & bullshit with other prisoners. The hour always concluded with Lynard Skynard, Free Bird.

I'm sure that people who have been wrongly accused and forced into a plea agreement to avoid incarceration would love to have the right to vote and SHOULD have.

What did you do steal an old lady's purse? You pussy....

ANYONE can change

And how long will that take – when is one considered to be ‘contrite enough’; and what constitutes ‘evidence of rehabilitation?’

Propensity toward recidivism is not ‘justification’ to continue to keep from an ex-offender his right to vote.

Fun facts, or ironic, about prison life....

Guns & Roses was popular while I served my time. The administration took this popularity to new heights a couple years after I got there. On Tuesdays, new orientation days, they would parade the "new meat" through two cell blocks on their way to a private block that they stayed in for the first 30 days. During this "parade" they played Welcome to the Jungle over the loud speakers for the whole prison to hear.

On Sundays, linen change days, we got one hour of open cells to mingle & bullshit with other prisoners. The hour always concluded with Lynard Skynard, Free Bird.
Clearly potential 8th Amendment violations.

You are the victim of racism. Many blacks are arrested and convicted of felony's in a purposeful attempt to reject them as potential voters. If it were otherwise the war on drugs would have been called lost a long time ago and it would not still be the useful tool it is to disenfranchise blacks. You are just collateral damage.
I'm white

I know. Sadly that doesn't matter. There is no good reason to continue to disenfranchise ex offenders after they have met all the obligations of their sentence other than to disenfranchise blacks and keep them off the voter registration rolls.

Blacks are far more likely to get into trouble with the law. It is useful for many politicians to keep them from voting by reinstating them after they have done their time and their probation.

Whites are much more likely to have their voting privileges restored. Check with the county clerk in the jurisdiction of your offense and conviction.

Last edited:
So let's look at what the democrats are doing in that state.

Is it political?
Most likely yes. Hard to say it isn't.

What is the likely outcome?
Those interested in things bigger than themselves may vote. For the first time in their lives they may feel that their voice matters. Where is the downside to this? If they actually care it's a win for society, it means that they feel invested in something larger than themselves. It means they are on the road to recovery from whatever ailed them.

Will they likely vote for one party? Probably but if we want to win I'd rather win with a winning message than by oppressing the vote out of fear of the results.

Of course it is political- but that doesn't change that it is also the right thing to do.

Those votes are unlikely to affect any election- why would we expect ex-cons to vote at a higher rate than the rest of the voters? But if their votes do make a difference- well that is what votes are supposed to do.

Denying the vote to ex-cons- when 50% of our potential voters can't even be bothered to cast a ballot doesn't make any sense at all.

Oh and Gramps- good job on turning things around.

I happen to know a young man who is working in a good union construction job because of skills he learned while in the system- and he is working 50 hours a week and commuting 20 hours a week- and taking night classes.

I think we should do everything we can to encourage those who have done their time to participate in society- and succeed.

I'm white

I know. Sadly that doesn't matter. There is no good reason to continue to disenfranchise ex offenders after they have met all the obligations of their sentence other than to disenfranchise blacks and keep them off the voter registration rolls.
You just had to play the race card, didn't you?

More fun prison facts....

The movies are full of shit. The two closest movies I've seen to the reality I experienced were Alcatraz & The Green Mile.
Rape is rare because there are so many lifers that risking time in the "hole" for a new piece of ass is unheard of.
Showers are more closely guarded than your wife's purse.
The "hole" is not really a hole. It is a tiny cell with a concrete bed and a toilet that the guards control so as to watch for contraband.
The food is worse than the movies portray.
Cells were 4x10 and housed 2 men.
When I first got there racial segregation was required in cells.
My ex wife brought me pot in balloons in her bra (waitedl for the camera to turn to grab & swallow) but I could never puke them back up after visits. (The details are NASTY but the money was crazy)
Violence was probably worse than most movies
MANY guards were easily bribed
A good education is available
Lifting weights, basketball & smoking were the only outdoor activities allowed.
Yard (outdoor activities) & showers were only allowed 3 times a week unless you were on kitchen detail. Then it was everyday. Kitchen detail was highly sought after for this fact.
Lights on was every morning at 4:30 and you HAD to be up with your bunk made by 5 am.
TV & radio was only permitted on headphones.
Starcrunch was more valuable than cash
People finding God in prison is real & not a hoax.
Prison guards could be worse than ex wives
Fooling the prison guards was easier than fooling a child.

This is all based on my experience in Hutchinson State Penitentiary from 1986 to 1990. The prison was built in the 1800's and still had stone "whipping posts" in the yard. It was an experience that changed my life and one that I look back on as the defining moment in my life.

I talk a lot of shit on USMB but in the end I don't mean to be mean. I like all of you and have enjoyed interacting with you over the years. I may be a conservative & you a dumbass liberal but I toast my final glass of southern comfort to all of you & say thanks for the laughs.

I'm white

Blacks are far more likely to get into trouble with the law. It is useful for many politicians to keep them from voting by reinstating them after they have done their time and their probation.

Whites are much more likely to have their voting privileges restored. Check with the county clerk in the jurisdiction of your offense and conviction.
The original intent of blocking their votes was indeed a race issue but come on now....

We have a law here in KC still on the books from the 1800's about owning pigs as pets. It's not that the law is ridiculous, which it is, it's that it's so old no one cares or even thinks about it. Who do you know champions the rights of prisoners?

Yeah thought so.
And fuck you USMB for crashing on my drunk night when I'm all about spam posting!

I'm white

You just had to play the race card, didn't you?

No skin off my butt. :lol:

Forum List

Back