If Jesus Christ materialized in front of you and proved to you that he is the son of God...

Daddy Dearest

It is ridiculous to think that any God worth his name would let his son go through horrible pain to atone for the sins of other people. How absurd and weird would it be if a boss tried to shame his employees by whipping his son in front of them, which by no logic at all would make up for their previous laziness?
The devil is strong in this one

Daddy Dearest

It is ridiculous to think that any God worth his name would let his son go through horrible pain to atone for the sins of other people. How absurd and weird would it be if a boss tried to shame his employees by whipping his son in front of them, which by no logic at all would make up for their previous laziness?
The devil is strong in this one
The devil is strong in all humans

...would you follow him?

Uh Sweetie ... If you mean Jesus, as in the Holy Bible ...
The Second Coming of Christ is not where and when you would want to be, if you didn't choose to follow ... :auiqs.jpg:

And if we happened to miss something, and it was the Third Coming of Christ ...
Jesus' feet would touch the ground and He would establish His Kingdom on Earth, never to return to Heaven.
He would also be sitting in Judgement of all who stand before Him with all the Saints and Angels covering his six.

Options might be a bit limited as to what someone could choose to do at that point.

Paul and Jesus believed they lived in the end times
Where in the bible does it say that?
Jesus told his followers that some would not taste death before the end. Paul told people not to bother to marry as time was so short. He was convinced that Jesus' resurrection was the first and the end had already come.
I haven't seen any scripture that claims that Jesus thought that he lived in the end times. I believe Jesus said that nobody, not even him, knows when the end will come.

Put atonement aside for a moment. Jesus was in trouble long before that for announcing, "Sins are forgiven. Repentance for the forgiveness of sins." The religious leaders of the day insisted that Jesus had no right to say such a thing, that only God could forgive sins, and Jesus had no right to tell anyone his/her sins are forgiven. People believing "Sins are forgiven" could have a monetary effect on Temple practices and contributions.

Jesus came with that new Covenant, the Good News that sins are forgiven. In Biblical times, Covenants were sealed with blood. What Jesus did, instead of ceasing and desisting with this message, was to keep at it to the point he was sentenced to death. He could have simply walked away, returned to his work as a carpenter, but "Sins are forgiven" is a vital message for all.

He could have simply walked away, returned to his work as a carpenter
With a thought, Jesus could have summoned an army of angels (not that he would have needed them) and made the whole world worship him. He didn't. He allowed himself to be tortured and butchered as a sacrifice to our Heavenly father to pay for our sins.

Jesus told his followers that some would not taste death before the end. Paul told people not to bother to marry as time was so short. He was convinced that Jesus' resurrection was the first and the end had already come.
I haven't seen any scripture that claims that Jesus thought that he lived in the end times. I believe Jesus said that nobody, not even him, knows when the end will come.
Matthew 16:28

With a thought, Jesus could have summoned an army of angels (not that he would have needed them) and made the whole world worship him. He didn't. He allowed himself to be tortured and butchered as a sacrifice to our Heavenly father to pay for our sins.
When did Jesus say he had to pay for our sins?
To my knowledge - never.

Matthew 16:28
That verse says that some people will be living on Earth when Jesus returns. It doesn't say that Jesus thought that he was living in the "end days" of mankind.

To my knowledge - never.
And that started me thinking. Jesus always said, "Your sins are forgiven." He never said, "Your sins will be forgiven after the great atonement." It was always present tense during his life. Sins are forgiven. What is so obvious now--that sins are forgiven--was a shocking idea in Jesus' day.

With these words, Jesus did bring about atonement, because who among us has any wish to approach God carrying along our sinful acts. Because sins are forgiven, we can rush into the Father's arms, we can draw ever closer to Him. God never needed to punish anyone, let alone Jesus.

Let's not get it wrong. There are consequences for sin, which is why God wishes us to avoid sin--which we can do by following His law, His Way. The Good News: Sins are forgiven; Repentance for the forgiveness of sins. We are all blessed.

Forum List

Back