If you're working for minimum wage your financial problems are yours alone

On our local news today, they were interviewing a woman who came to the US twenty five years ago, overstayed her six month visa, and had four kids.

She was bemoaning the fact that she was afraid she could possibly be deported.

Well, that's what the translator said she said .... she's been in the US 25 years, never held a job, been on government assistance for 25 years, and never even learned to speak English.

You get what you earn in this life.

You are lying.

On our local news today, they were interviewing a woman who came to the US twenty five years ago, overstayed her six month visa, and had four kids.

Well, that's what the translator said she said .... she's been in the US 25 years, never held a job, been on government assistance for 25 years, and never even learned to speak English.

link?
www.foxnews.com

It was just on 5 minutes ago.....

link?
www.foxnews.com

That's not a link. It's a crime if true. Fox lol

You are lying.
I'm saying he's wrong or "Fox" is lying...

link?
www.foxnews.com

No, you low education types wouldn't understand anyway....or care....

Your boss didn't kill your ambition.
Your boss didn't make you fail your education.
I didn't kill your ambition.
I didn't make you fail in school.

If you're an adult working for minimum wage it is YOUR irresponsible choices that led you there.

All interesting points. However, somebody has to do these jobs. What do you do when they aren't done? no food being picked? No grass verges being mowed? No toilets being cleaned, or other premises. You get a third-world country. Nothing wrong with giving people a liveable wage. Also, don't forget that those minimum wages help keep inflation down. If everybody got paid $100,000 interest rates would go through the roof - supply and demand....everybody would have enough to buy shit, so sellers would put up prices due to scarcity..
Your missing the point. Your station in life is your responsibility irregardless of how much money you make. As to low wages on high demand jobs.....Stop filling them with illegals and the pay will go up for American workers unless the farmer is just gonna say fuck it & let his crop rot.

Untrue. We are at what is commonly known as "full employment" in this nation. Wages suck for a reason other than labor supply.

What could it be?

1. Huh? You want to ignore the over supply of cheap illegal labor that got into the construction trades over the past 30 years?

2. Obama care is another reason changing a few million full time jobs to part time.

But we know you want to also ignore that

3. Temporary jobs..they have been rising before Obama but have excelled during the recession.

4. We live in a global economy now..the only way for states to get jobs is to go to right To work..or states like Washington who rely heavily on government Defense jobs and military retires.

A lot of reasons...but CEO pay is not one of them..

Complete garbage.

Complete facts you live in an alternative reality..I live in the fly over country world remember...

From the huffpost..I got a million more examples.. If you want to try me, Quit trying to sell people short and need the nanny state will you fool?

All you need is Ambition..

From Homeless to Lawyer: One Woman’s Amazing Journey
May 25, 2010 | Updated May 25, 2011

Gina Furia Rubel Citizen journalist, attorney and publicist, a.k.a. The PR Lawyer
Nikki Johnson-Huston, Esq. has an amazing story. She has gone from being homeless to being an award-winning young attorney in Philadelphia.

Nikki grew up in a life of poverty. Having moved from Detroit to Southern California, she found herself homeless by the time she was nine years old along with her mother and brother. After living in various shelters, on the street, in motels and being fed in soup kitchens for nearly a year, Nikki was sent to live with her disabled grandmother who although poor herself, gave Nikki a chance at a normal life. By the time she was a senior in high school, it seemed like life had turned around. Nikki earned a college scholarship to St. Joseph’s University in Philadelphia. But like she was told on the first day of college, “Look to your left and look to your right, the person next to you won’t be here in four years.” So, true to form, Nikki failed out of college after her first year. But what is truly remarkable is that Nikki persevered - went back to St. Joe’s in their night school program and on to Temple University’s Beasley School of Law. She is now a successful lawyer who hopes to pay it forward.

Sometimes you need more than that. You need the right breaks at the right time. There are many people who work hard and honestly their entire lives, and still die poor.

I don't understand why people feel the need to attach a moral failing to honest work if it doesn't pay a lot.
And don't give me that "they never got a break" bullshit.
I'm an excon.

Good for you. Not everyone has the right combination of work ethic and opportunity and breaks.
Work ethic is certainly within one's control, right?

It's the only thing that is. Many people have a great work ethic, work hard all their lives, but still die poor in financial terms.

Than they've made poor choices somewhere else in their life,like having six kids.

Last edited:
From the huffpost..I got a million more examples.. If you want to try me, Quit trying to sell people short and need the nanny state will you fool?

All you need is Ambition..

From Homeless to Lawyer: One Woman’s Amazing Journey
May 25, 2010 | Updated May 25, 2011

Gina Furia Rubel Citizen journalist, attorney and publicist, a.k.a. The PR Lawyer
Nikki Johnson-Huston, Esq. has an amazing story. She has gone from being homeless to being an award-winning young attorney in Philadelphia.

Nikki grew up in a life of poverty. Having moved from Detroit to Southern California, she found herself homeless by the time she was nine years old along with her mother and brother. After living in various shelters, on the street, in motels and being fed in soup kitchens for nearly a year, Nikki was sent to live with her disabled grandmother who although poor herself, gave Nikki a chance at a normal life. By the time she was a senior in high school, it seemed like life had turned around. Nikki earned a college scholarship to St. Joseph’s University in Philadelphia. But like she was told on the first day of college, “Look to your left and look to your right, the person next to you won’t be here in four years.” So, true to form, Nikki failed out of college after her first year. But what is truly remarkable is that Nikki persevered - went back to St. Joe’s in their night school program and on to Temple University’s Beasley School of Law. She is now a successful lawyer who hopes to pay it forward.

Sometimes you need more than that. You need the right breaks at the right time. There are many people who work hard and honestly their entire lives, and still die poor.

I don't understand why people feel the need to attach a moral failing to honest work if it doesn't pay a lot.
I'm an excon.

Good for you. Not everyone has the right combination of work ethic and opportunity and breaks.

It's the only thing that is. Many people have a great work ethic, work hard all their lives, but still die poor in financial terms.
I would say a great deal more than that is in our control. Did you get to where you are because you were lucky or unlucky?

If you're an adult working for minimum wage it is YOUR irresponsible choices that led you there.
well, do you argue that their choices up to that point have something to do with where they are now?
For example, If instead of going into the navy and earning my degree when I was 18 I had decided to stay home and party like my friends did. Would I still have been retired from one good job right now, collecting a retirement that is honestly more than according to statistics the average person makes working, and working at a second career now that again pays about twice what the average national average is for yearly income. Or would I be like them and still working for the average yearly income with no expectation of retiring until social security comes along.
At the time I made that decision, any of my friends could have done the same, and ended up the same as me some 40 years later, but their decision 40 years ago is why they are not in the same position as I am.
Ive never worked harder than any of them, I dont think I have had as tough a job as some of them, but the degree and the initiative puts a lot of weight behind you during your working years.
Yes, for many their bad choices are why they are minimum wage workers today.

I'm an excon.

I would say a great deal more than that is in our control. Did you get to where you are because you were lucky or unlucky?
A combination of luck, circumstance and work.

I'm an excon.

It just devastates you lefties to give people credit for their own successes.
IE, you didn't build that. There just has to be luck in there somewhere that replaces something.

link?

It was a local news broadcast --- I think I said that.

Thus, no link.

You are lying.

Excuse me?

And, you know this how?

2. Obama care is another reason changing a few million full time jobs to part time.

But we know you want to also ignore that

Long story: I try to be short. I know a guy. Financial Advisor for one of the big ones. After election when market went up I asked about Trump. Basically he said he has MANY small business clients. Topic went to how they feel, He said they were considering expanding hiring?

I said how many? why?
He said "ALL of them", ASAP. ObamaCare changes are biggest issue. Meaning if things work out.........there could be some jobs next year. Come on Trump. Please don't continue Obama blow up of Federal Debt. We want it all FOR FREE.
Hate to break your bubble, but congress will repeal Obamacare but nothing will change until at least 2018, after the mid term elections. This will give congress time to workout the replacement plan and avoid the fallout at midterm. No one knows what that plan will look like. It may or may not be better than Obamacare. No one has seen it so we don't. So if these businesses are going to start hiring next year because they think repealing Obamacare is going make any difference in the near future, they are making a big mistake.

It doesn't have to be repealed all at one time. It can be torn down limb by limb starting with the employer mandate. Hopefully they will eliminate the citizen mandate at the same time. Government should not be in the business of telling people what they have to buy or what benefits they have to provide to their employees. That's as un-American as it gets.

The problem seems to be that most posters see things as black or white, when in fact things are many shades of grey. the money& the power keep us fighting each other, while they do what works best for them.

I'm an excon.

Really? Because anyone who believes in luck cannot believe they are in control of their own destiny. Do you believe you control your destiny?

Look... if circumstance changes, your response changes, right? How is that not controlling your destiny.

link?
www.foxnews.com

Fake news, dupe.

link?
www.foxnews.com

Fake news, dupe.
It wasnt on MSM.....so it's real....

well, do you argue that their choices up to that point have something to do with where they are now?
For example, If instead of going into the navy and earning my degree when I was 18 I had decided to stay home and party like my friends did. Would I still have been retired from one good job right now, collecting a retirement that is honestly more than according to statistics the average person makes working, and working at a second career now that again pays about twice what the average national average is for yearly income. Or would I be like them and still working for the average yearly income with no expectation of retiring until social security comes along.
At the time I made that decision, any of my friends could have done the same, and ended up the same as me some 40 years later, but their decision 40 years ago is why they are not in the same position as I am.
Ive never worked harder than any of them, I dont think I have had as tough a job as some of them, but the degree and the initiative puts a lot of weight behind you during your working years.
Yes, for many their bad choices are why they are minimum wage workers today.
And suddenly you get disabled, sick, have an accident, dupe.

Forum List

Back