Is Duck Dynasty the beginning of a Hot Religious War?

The right of free speech simply means you can't be arrested or imprisoned by the government for expressing your opinions or beliefs. It doesn't guarantee you there will be no consequences for doing so. You can be fired if your employer thinks your opinions don't reflect well on him/her. Phil has the right to say what he said, and A&E has the right to fire him for doing so.

It was very unwise of Robertson to express racial bigotry and homophobia in the media. It was even more unwise of him to treat gay crew members on his show badly. He wasn't hired to stoke controversy and now that he has, he will lose the forum to do so. Already, sponsors and retailers are dumping him. They too are exercising their rights.

You can exercise your right to free speech and you won't be arrested or imprisoned, but if you're going to insult, defame, and denigrate entire groups of people, you will find that free speech can be very costly.

What the fuck are you talking about? Seriously?

oh, she is simply ignorant. Plus she does not know what free speech is.

Hot Religious War? Is that kinda like the Lingerie Football League? If it is I'm all for it:)

Not even a tiff. Only religious war coming is the one that's been here for some time now. Islam vs Everybody Else.

"Magneto's right. There's a war coming, you sure you're on the right side?" - "X-Men"

Did you think that was just a silly comicbook movie? By putting those sorts of sentiments in sci-fi, fantasy, or other fictional depictions you can comment a lot on what's going on in the world without being accused of playing politics. Just as the ancients wrote stories about real events (albeit heavily altered to suit a story-form,) we do it today with movies. Every movie had a writer or writers. And people write about what they know and see around them. The entire X-Men movie line is about Magneto's war against humanity. Let's see, what other ongoing event features few vs the rest of the world?

Get it?

Last edited:
Nope. Another display of Fauxrage of course.

Throughout its history, the United States has characteristically remained a country of two things: a country of immigrants, and a country of unmatched religious diversity. And yet when compared with the rest of the world – where these two very factors alone have so often engendered horrible religious wars and decades of enduring conflict – the history of religious conflict in the United States seems almost nonexistent.

http://www.stanford.edu/class/e297a/The History of Religious Conflict.htm

In the United States today, with the passage of the NDAA, totalitarian spy networks, allowing boys to use girls bathrooms, militarization of the police forces, the paramilitary besiegement and occupation of Boston, the imperial arrest and seizure of Adam Kokesh, --- and ... many many other troubling signs of the United States Constitution being usuurped and replaced by Despotic Doctrines and the Presidency having fully abosrbed all powers of Congress, we must wonder ...

:eusa_eh:

Does no one else find this part entertaining? SPIES!! NDAA!! MILITARIZATION!! PARAMILITARY!! [I]COED BATHROOMS[/I]!!!!!!

Them rethuglikans have been trying to figure out how women pee for a long time. So they finally put spys in the women's restroom to find out. This is not unusual for repubs to be cornfused about basic things in life.

Hell these rethug idiots think Jesus is the creator and founder of Duck Dynasty.

Hey, if it looks like a duck. Quacks like a duck. Then what the fuck is it but a duck?

Jesus lubs him sum DUCKS.

But it is so FUNNY to hear you right wing red necks protecting you some more multi millionaires.
I am real sure they care greatly about you and your pocketbook. The pocketbook mostly.
Please don't stop spending money on them. Please.

What an ignoramus....

:lol:

Who cares about reality TV? It's all trash watched by people with no lives of their own. The sad thing is, it seems that in today's lefty PC society, the new entitlement is the right NOT to be offended. And what's worse is, it only matters on who is being offended, and who is doing the offending. Had the duck guy been a Muslim, the mindless left would have been praising him for sharing his ideas and beliefs.

The right of free speech simply means you can't be arrested or imprisoned by the government for expressing your opinions or beliefs. It doesn't guarantee you there will be no consequences for doing so. You can be fired if your employer thinks your opinions don't reflect well on him/her. Phil has the right to say what he said, and A&E has the right to fire him for doing so.

It was very unwise of Robertson to express racial bigotry and homophobia in the media. It was even more unwise of him to treat gay crew members on his show badly. He wasn't hired to stoke controversy and now that he has, he will lose the forum to do so. Already, sponsors and retailers are dumping him. They too are exercising their rights.

You can exercise your right to free speech and you won't be arrested or imprisoned, but if you're going to insult, defame, and denigrate entire groups of people, you will find that free speech can be very costly.

Actually, she gave pretty good description of what free speech actually means. You cannot run around saying whatever you want and expect that your employer will look the other way - especially when talking about controversial matters.

If that dental assistant lady from wherever can lose her job for looking attractive to her boss, then Phil can lose his job for insulting gay and black people.

Throughout its history, the United States has characteristically remained a country of two things: a country of immigrants, and a country of unmatched religious diversity. And yet when compared with the rest of the world – where these two very factors alone have so often engendered horrible religious wars and decades of enduring conflict – the history of religious conflict in the United States seems almost nonexistent.

'Unmatched religious diversity...' :)

When I first moved here to Missouri I was looking for a synagogue to start attending. Within walking range (as frum Jews do going to synagogue) there were over 200 churches. All Christian, and not one synagogue. Nearest being 14 miles away and Reform at that which I don't subscribe to. So much diversity. :)

When I first moved here to Missouri I was looking for a synagogue to start attending. Within walking range (as frum Jews do going to synagogue) there were over 200 churches. All Christian, and not one synagogue. Nearest being 14 miles away and Reform at that which I don't subscribe to. So much diversity. :)
I hope you're not blaming Christians for that....seems it's a Jewish issue.

Indeed. and ODD that Christains for the most part support the Jewish State of Israel. Odd.

Actually, she gave pretty good description of what free speech actually means. You cannot run around saying whatever you want and expect that your employer will look the other way - especially when talking about controversial matters.

If that dental assistant lady from wherever can lose her job for looking attractive to her boss, then Phil can lose his job for insulting gay and black people.
Only those whom are insulted are in charge of being insulted. ODD you give the man so much power when he doesn't posses it.

Onward Christian soldiers. Gonna kill me some lieberals. Right skooker? Who you gonna shoot next?

The usual...
shoot-foot.gif

The Duck Dynasty Religious Wars ...

Classy.

I know, right? It's like "fine wines available at Wal-Mart".

Last edited:

Not at all, sorry if I gave that impression. But we used to have an orthodox synagogue in town, but not anymore. I realize places to worship is a matter of supporting whatever worshippers exist, and not havnig a Jewish one is because there aren't enough Jews in the area like. It just struck me as a bit silly to have so many within walking distance when that population can't be more than a thousand or so.

Maybe 2nd amendment meant that Jep's wife would be leading the revolution. She is pretty hot.

duck-dynasty-miss-america-e1371095180122.png

Last edited:

Not at all, sorry if I gave that impression. But we used to have an orthodox synagogue in town, but not anymore. I realize places to worship is a matter of supporting whatever worshippers exist, and not havnig a Jewish one is because there aren't enough Jews in the area like. It just struck me as a bit silly to have so many within walking distance when that population can't be more than a thousand or so.

If I remember correctly the first synagogue in America was built in St. Augustine. Love that city!

I remember being thrilled that I found it on my journeys. I do believe it was the first. I could be wrong.

But it's pretty cool.

Forum List

Back