Is Government the problem...or the scapegoat?

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
"Government", as Fox and the right wing love to make into a noun to hate, is NOT the problem. It is the scapegoat. We have many millions of miserable people in this country. They are angry, depressed, bitter, lonely, whatever. And a drug dealer....er, doctor, is more than happy to push a private sector profit tablet (pill) on them to fix it.

But as much as many say "If it werent for the dad gum gubmint, I'd have_______" (Fill in better life goal), would it REALLY be that much better/easier for them? REALLY? Doubtful. See, people dont realize that for what they pay in taxes, they get far more in return. Thats another thread altogether, but, its true. The people with the most wealth WOULD be the biggest targets of crime...and they'd need an entire group of bodyguards if not for law enforcement. Like old days, when kings and royalty had to take groups of armed men with them to protect them, or build castles.

Anyway, most people arent multi-milionaires. Most people pay a fair amount in taxes. Some people pay very little taxes, and those people live shitty lives. I wouldnt trade less taxes for their lives. Funny.

Seems the more people pay in taxes....the better standard of living they have. Hmmmmmm.

No, govt is not the problem. It is the scapegoat for misearble, bitter people who are emotionally bankrupt and have come to realize that more money doesnt mean more happiness.

"See, people dont realize that for what they pay in taxes, they get far more in return."

Thank you for explaining the problem so succinctly. This is exactly why we have a $16 trillion debt. Getting "far more in return" than we paid for.

Gimme gimme gimme, and make that guy over there pay for it. Or borrow from China and Japan to gimme what I want.

Last edited:
Government IS the problem.

When someone says, "Gimme gimme gimme", a politician never says, "NO!!!"

I think government is the symptom. The people are the problem. We are no longer a moral and virtuous people and cannot be governed by our Constitution.

The rants are "government is the problem" then Republicans take over government, break it and then say "see".

Democratic Party: Tax and spend.

Republican Party: Borrow and spend.

"If elected, here is the list of presents I am going to shower on you. And I am going to make the other party stop spending so goddam much!"

"See, people dont realize that for what they pay in taxes, they get far more in return."

Thank you for explaining the problem so succinctly. This is exactly why we have a $16 trillion debt. Getting "far more in return" than we paid for.

Gimme gimme gimme, and make that guy over there pay for it. Or borrow from China and Japan to gimme what I want.

See....what poor people need is stability, a safety net. Their lives suck, and the pay little in taxes. But, they get a modest safety net.

What rich people need is protection. In any other time in history, their lives would need 24/7 protection from several armed men, due to simply having wealth. Today, the rich dont need that. They have a military and police to protect their incredible standard of living. And thus, they pay for just that.

The middle? They get a bit of both. A safety net should they fall. And, some protection for what they have aquired. This is the hardest working of the three groups.

And yes, the reason we have a huge debt is that the government gives back far more than it takes. We need to slash some of that protection for the rich, and some of that safety net for the poor.

How about a 1 for 1 for 1 deal? $1 in defense cuts + $1 in entitlement cuts + $1 in tax increases. Every single dollar of each must be met with the other 2. Eventually, we'll be balanced.

No. What poor people need is to become wealthier.

Without poor people, who would clean toilets, take trash, flip burgers, etc, etc, etc? We have a lot of shitty jobs out there that need to be done, and they are jobs that by nature cannot pay much.

A society where everyone is rich does not and cannot exist.

You say "become wealthier" like its an option, or just something to do like making breakfast.

No. What poor people need is to become wealthier.

Without poor people, who would clean toilets, take trash, flip burgers, etc, etc, etc? We have a lot of shitty jobs out there that need to be done, and they are jobs that by nature cannot pay much.

A society where everyone is rich does not and cannot exist.

You say "become wealthier" like its an option, or just something to do like making breakfast.

People are only limited by their own fears and biases.

Apathy is the real problem. We get the government we deserve. Oh, by the way, participation on an Internet message board without requisite IRL involvement is the apex of apathy.

I'd trade for less taxes and more of my own money that I work for. Screw the govt.

You're such an anarchist. Screw the big bad government, that 'a boy, tell 'em like it is!!!! Geeeeet er done!!!!! Yahooooo!!!!!

Talk about a shitty deal? How about that 12 trillion govt has unloaded on us over the last 10 years? And we're supposed to feel sorry for this irresponsible behavior? Lol.

I'd trade for less taxes and more of my own money that I work for. Screw the govt.

You're such an anarchist. Screw the big bad government, that 'a boy, tell 'em like it is!!!! Geeeeet er done!!!!! Yahooooo!!!!!

That's not anarchist behavior to demand a govt be responsible and accountable....to which we have neither. Not sure how you surmised that incorrect deduction.

That's not anarchist behavior to demand a govt be responsible and accountable....to which we have neither. Not sure how you surmised that incorrect deduction.

Hegelian dialectic - definition of Hegelian dialectic by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

"Screw the govt" is why. That exact attitude lost your side the election. So...you say "screw" the military? Your local cops? Your firemen? Your teachers? "Screw 'em"?????

A good parent demands their kids be "responsible and accountable". But they dont say "Screw my kids".

Your radical right wing side lost the election, and you folks are being brainwashed into an anti-government hatred that is leading you all down a dangerous path to extinction of your ideology.

Forum List

Back