Is Medicare Marxist?

Do you think Medicare is a Marxist program?

• Yes

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters

MPS777

Oct 20, 2017
To begin, I believe it’s worth noting that “redistributive” government “programs” such as ‘poor laws’ and public education (or even Roman ‘bread and circuses’) predate Karl Marx. But it seems that since Karl Marx’s writings about government/workers seizing control off all private enterprise, a lot of people have equated any redistributive government intervention in social issues as “Marxist”. Now what I’m curious about, is how prevalent this view is amongst people, or if perhaps they draw some kind of philosophical line between what kind of government “program” is Marxist, and what isn’t. So I figured a way to test my curiosity would be to run a poll using the classic government program of Medicare.

Sources I've read assert that on average people draw between 3 and 4.4 times as much value out of the program as they put in. Source:
Did You Really Pay For Your Medicare Benefits?
I think it counts as redistributive in that the gap must be filled somewhere (whether by taxing some people more, or by our grandkids paying the debts). So my poll question is simple really: in your opinion, is Medicare a Marxist program?

To begin, I believe it’s worth noting that “redistributive” government “programs” such as ‘poor laws’ and public education (or even Roman ‘bread and circuses’) predate Karl Marx. But it seems that since Karl Marx’s writings about government/workers seizing control off all private enterprise, a lot of people have equated any redistributive government intervention in social issues as “Marxist”. Now what I’m curious about, is how prevalent this view is amongst people, or if perhaps they draw some kind of philosophical line between what kind of government “program” is Marxist, and what isn’t. So I figured a way to test my curiosity would be to run a poll using the classic government program of Medicare.

Sources I've read assert that on average people draw between 3 and 4.4 times as much value out of the program as they put in. Source:
Did You Really Pay For Your Medicare Benefits?
I think it counts as redistributive in that the gap must be filled somewhere (whether by taxing some people more, or by our grandkids paying the debts). So my poll question is simple really: in your opinion, is Medicare a Marxist program?

It's a terrible, terrible program.

Is it Marxist? Well, not according to the 10 planks.

So if you get sick and are a senior citizen pro life ends right there correct? Just die. Many middle class workers whom you disdain could not afford their medical bills without it. So it's life or death? Which is it?

...is Medicare a Marxist program?
Whatever it is, it's very popular with those who have it.

And that's what should matter.

I have never thought of it as popular! It is mandatory. One is automatically assigned to Medicare and if you opt out you forfeit your SS also. You must still pay premium so, a co pay and a deductible. Now this is after making forced contributions your entire working life!

Medicare is not free and isn't Marxist. I paid into Social Security for 50 years. When I reached age 65 I was placed on Medicare, which pays part of my medical expenses. Medicare takes $109.00 from my Social Security every month.That is not freeloading.

I have Medicare for emergency hospital if ever needed, and VA for everything else.

I paid into Medicare for 51 years. That is not freeloading. That is not an entitlement.

Anyone who thinks it is marxism is a purveyor of Russian fake news.

Last edited:

I have never thought of it as popular! It is mandatory. One is automatically assigned to Medicare and if you opt out you forfeit your SS also. You must still pay premium so, a co pay and a deductible. Now this is after making forced contributions your entire working life!
It's very popular with seniors. These two health programs more popular than ACA

And it allows for dynamic free market competition in the form of Medicare Supplements, Medicare Advantage Plans and Prescription Drug Plans.

Which is why we should all have it.

And it allows for dynamic free market competition in the form of Medicare Supplements, Medicare Advantage Plans and Prescription Drug Plans.

After you have all paid into it for 30 years you shall have it. Oh. But you want yours without the hassle of actually paying for it right?

After you have all paid into it for 30 years you shall have it. Oh. But you want yours without the hassle of actually paying for it right?
Do you know how the Medicare/Medicare Advantage/Medicare Supplement system works?

Do you know how the Medicare/Medicare Advantage/Medicare Supplement system works?
Tell me!

Tell me!
Here ya go.

Maybe you're one of those people who's happy paying higher premiums, co-pays and co-insurance to pay for those who can't afford health insurance, including those whose costs are much higher because they didn't have access to preventive and diagnostic services.

That's up to you, but I don't think it's very smart economics.

Tell me!
Here ya go.

Maybe you're one of those people who's happy paying higher premiums, co-pays and co-insurance to pay for those who can't afford health insurance, including those whose costs are much higher because they didn't have access to preventive and diagnostic services.

That's up to you, but I don't think it's very smart economics.

I was right.

Forum List

Back