Judging Obama's Handling of the Budget and the Economy Fairly

Given the historical, global financial meltdown Obama inherited, he did pretty much the only thing he could do: He stood back and let the Fed pour $4.5 TRILLION into markets to stabilize the disaster. He had little choice. And it took 9 years or so for markets to fully stabilize.

I give him an "Incomplete" for his handling of the economy. There's no way of knowing what he would have done, for better or worse, under more normal circumstances. He did nothing magical to stabilize markets, he did nothing magical regarding the stock market boom (that was the Fed's $4.5T), but he did nothing terrible, either.

Given the historical, global financial meltdown Obama inherited, he did pretty much the only thing he could do: He stood back and let the Fed pour $4.5 TRILLION into markets to stabilize the disaster. He had little choice. And it took 9 years or so for markets to fully stabilize.

I give him an "Incomplete" for his handling of the economy. There's no way of knowing what he would have done, for better or worse, under more normal circumstances.

Or how much worse his "new normal" would have been if the voters hadn't booted 63 Dems (holy shit!!) from the House in 2010.

I give him an "Incomplete" for his handling of the economy. There's no way of knowing what he would have done, for better or worse, under more normal circumstances. He did nothing magical to stabilize markets, he did nothing magical regarding the stock market boom (that was the Fed's $4.5T), but he did nothing terrible, either.
An honest answer.

I would totally disagree with that. First of all, I don't know that he had any control over the fed. I don't think he and the Reserve work hand in hand.

You said he did nothing terrible either, but only a few sentences before you said there was no way of knowing what he was going to do better or worse. Well as far as business is concerned, that's on unstable business environment. Businesses are timid of investing money when they don't know what could possibly be ahead.

Obama closed down the Gulf, he closed down car dealerships, he closed down roll-your-own smoke shops, speaking of which, he closed down Indian Reservation cigarette sales via mail, he closed down electric power plants, he attacked Boeing, he sent his goons to Gibson Guitar and raided them twice, he forced insurance companies into how they spend their money, he attacked banks and credit card institutions.

So I have no idea how you conclude he didn't do anything terrible to businesses. He was the most anti-business President in our lifetime.

He was the most anti-business President in our lifetime.
From your end of the spectrum, that's what I would expect.

Bush left behind the worst and most complex financial/business disaster of our lifetimes, but he was better.

Okay, sure.

Bush left behind the worst and most complex financial/business disaster of our lifetimes, but he was better.

Okay, sure.

There were a lot of hands in that cookie jar. Bush didn't force banks into much weaker lending practices, but he didn't do much to stop it either.

Bush didn't attack businesses like DumBama did. There is a difference between businesses not doing well because of the economy and businesses not doing well because they are targeted by a power hungry President.

Okay, sure.

Bush wasn't anti-business.
Obama was anti-business.

Do you disagree?

Okay, sure.

There were a lot of hands in that cookie jar. Bush didn't force banks into much weaker lending practices, but he didn't do much to stop it either.

Bush didn't attack businesses like DumBama did. There is a difference between businesses not doing well because of the economy and businesses not doing well because they are targeted by a power hungry President.
Yeah, he only left a crater where our economy once stood.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Okay, sure.

Obama was anti-business.

Do you disagree?
Bush was certainly more pro-business ideologically than Obama, whose "you didn't build that" speech was stunning in its naivete, ignorance and tone-deafness.

But Bush was short-sighted, cheering on mortgage and banking industries that were running amok, behavior which led to the Meltdown. In principle, he was with them; but in reality, he enabled them.

Results are what matter, and Obama had little chance to really prove anything.

Okay, sure.

Obama was anti-business.

Do you disagree?
Bush was certainly more pro-business ideologically than Obama, whose "you didn't build that" speech was stunning in its naivete, ignorance and tone-deafness.

But Bush was short-sighted, cheering on mortgage and banking industries that were running amok, behavior which led to the Meltdown. In principle, he was with them; but in reality, he enabled them.

But Bush was short-sighted, cheering on mortgage and banking industries that were running amok, behavior which led to the Meltdown.

You bet. The stuff Bush did, raising the GSE's subprime mandate from Clinton's 50% of purchases to 55% was stupid and his American Dream Downpayment Act was beyond stupid. Much dumber than Obama suing Chicago banks for not writing enough crappy mortgage loans, back when he was a community organizer.

Between Obama's massive expansion of anti-business regulations, his "all of the above" solution to our energy issues, which was really handouts to "green energy" and attacks on useful fossil fuel energy, 8 years of examining the Keystone Pipeline before finally, as we all knew he would, turning it down, constant anti-business rhetoric, and on and on. I can't think of one pro-business action he took.

Can you?

Thank God for that. Cap and Trade would have been a cluster-fuck of massive proportions.
And his 54 MPG CAFE idiocy. We'd have all been walking to work.

Thank goodness the American people saw the writing on the wall and booted 63 (holy shit!) Dems from the House in 2010. Otherwise we'd be talking about a lost decade, like the Japanese.

Okay, sure.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Thank goodness Obama arrived to fill that crater with $9.3 trillion worth of hundreds, eh?

Okay, sure.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Thank goodness Obama arrived to fill that crater with $9.3 trillion worth of hundreds, eh?
Much of that, if not most, was due to Bush's Great Recession, which killed federal revenue along with some 8 million jobs.

But I'm proud of you. You're doing your job of being a conservative. Ignore that the right once again dropped a nuclear bomb on our economy and then did nothing but bitch and moan at the left for taking too long to clean up their mess.

:itsok:

Okay, sure.

Bush set Obama up with TARP. Obama gave us ObamaCare and the Obama Stimulus...the first was a job killer and the second under performed so badly they had to bullshit us on the numbers with "Jobs Saved or Created"!

What I found telling about Obama was what his next big policy goal was going to be...passing Cap & Trade legislation. THAT would have been devastating to the US economy!

Okay, sure.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Much of that, if not most, was due to Bush's Great Recession, which killed federal revenue along with some 8 million jobs.

But I'm proud of you. You're doing your job of being a conservative. Ignore that the right once again dropped a nuclear bomb on our economy and then did nothing but bitch and moan at the left for taking too long to clean up their mess.

:itsok:

At least most Republicans are willing to admit Bush Fd up, but share the blame. You on the left are just BUT BUSH! BUT BUSH! failing to acknowledge the bubble and eventual bust was in the works for years before Bush even thought of running.

Bush was swayed by the positive numbers coming out about minority home ownership, and wanted to jump on the bandwagon. It was a huge mistake on his part. But again, it wasn't any of his programs that started it.

it took Jimmy Carter & Obama to give us Ronald & Donald. the best thing that ever happened to Republicans was to get their teeth kicked in in 2008 & 1976.

Coming from you, that means he hit the nail on the head!

Bush didn't force banks into much weaker lending practices
Actually, he induced banks into much weaker lending practice.

To be to totally accurate, the Bush administration did not stop the then-existing policy of pressuring/enticing lenders into lowering credit standards. But Bush did call attention to the dangers of what Freddie and Fannie were doing with home loans, and Congressional Republicans tried to impose tougher regulations on them, but Democrats blocked all of their efforts.

Obama suing Chicago banks for not writing enough crappy mortgage loans, back when he was a community organizer.
Obama never sued for crappy mortgage loans, racists call them "crappy" because to racists no minority is EVER qualified for a loan, or anything else for that matter.

Forum List

Back