land for sale?

Isn't your husband disabled?

You're going to pack it up and move to the boonies and live off the land with a disabled husband...and you have no survival skills?

Wow.

Get a place with a good well. If you're going to live off the land, you need to be able to grow a big garden, and have pasture for animals. Good luck.

Well, I don't intend to totally live off the land, but I do think a garden is a given. I also want chickens and possibly a goat. And I think it would be nice if we could go hunting nearby, though I realize my son or I would be the one's doing the hunting, I don't think my husband can hold a gun steady enough. My husband has parkinson's and I think the extra work with his hands and no pressure would actually be good for him, and it doesn't have to be perfect. He used to be a painter as in art. He can still do it, though not as well. And yes, we need a place with a good well, we'll probably have the houses built, small one's. Or one house with a mother in law apartment. I don't want too much land, 5 acres should be fine. I'm not looking to go into farming and make a living off of the land, only to subsidize our lifestyle. And I want to be able to use a wood stove. I live in the city right now and our winter energy bills are up to $600 a month. We can't burn in our woodstove unless it's our only source of heat so that's out. I was jealous when I saw my friends utility bills for her house built in the early 1900's. $200 for EVERYTHING. Of course her house is a lot smaller than ours. We definitely need to go with a smaller house. I also wouldn't mind finding a group of people that do live off the land that would be willing to help us to learn.

Of course all this right now is talk. I'm just sick of not being warm because out county won't let us use our woodstove and I also would like to have chickens as I love fresh eggs but that can't be done in our city on our lot. I think I liked it better before we became a city.

Lots of reasons to build small, then. A smaller house is easier to keep up and heat, especially with wood or coal, than a huge McMansion. Chickens are a good idea, and a goat (or goats) are also nice, easy keepers. If you want a goat for milk, though, remember you won't get milk without babies every year.
Here's a really good resource, old but very applicable, and it's a free download. It's called the "Have More Plan".

The "Have-More" Plan - Free eBooks Download

thanks for the ebook, I'm gonna have my husband put that on my kindle.

Waddya think you are going to find on a political discussion forum? Real estate listings? Do your own research and come back and tell us about your personal shangra-la.

Okay, my husband is getting ready to retire. We are looking at the complete collapse of our monetary system due to debt that we can't possibly pay (American's debt, not ours). So we are considering purchasing some land off in the boonies hoping we can live off the land in our old age. Any suggestions as to where we could retire? Where we could find land with water that was cheap enough and in a good area? Someplace we can put a couple of small homes on, one for us and one for our adult child who is disabled? Preferably someplace close to where we could go hunting for food. Would be cool if there was someplace close by that we could go fishing and it all has to cost about $200,000 or less.

Is this impossible? Any suggestions? We would prefer to stay in our state due to our other disabled child who is in a home and we want to be close to him too.

Also suggestions...my husband is considering closing out his VIP account (most call it a 401K) due to the government threatening to take it over. My husband would then invest that money in the land, a home or improvements on the land and we'd live on social security and Boeing's retirement plan for as long as that lasts. Does anybody think this is a good idea or bad idea? Why or why not?

how old are you?

do i think this is a good idea.... hell no.

Alaska is the last frontier here in the US but 9 months of winter and - 40 degree weather sure gets old. I wouldn't head up there to retire, it's a younger game. I would think Costa Rico or Belize great fishing and climate but I have never inquired about hunting and/or firearm ownership. Geez, this sure doesn't sound like to good an idea to me. I mean someplace rural would be great with chickens, rabbits are good food producers to. I grew up raising and eating goats but I don't mind not eating goat meat anymore.

Climate has to be a big consideration. Do you mind the snow and cold weather? If you can deal with that then what's been said about Idaho and Washington State is good. Central Oregon is good and if you get closer to the coast the climate is not to cold but you do get 4 or 5 months of rain and/or drizzle.

Nevada has not state income tax, is hot but livable. We used to just go out at night for shopping and such to beat the heat. You will need water which you will have no problem with in a rural desert town but hunting will be limited. Raising your own food would be OK though.

Washington State and Alaska have no state income tax either. Sorry for rambling but you have posed a tough question and I have just posted my thoughts as they have come to me. I grew up raising about 75% of our own food meat and vegetables and I tell you what it was a full time job. We were up a couple of hours before school taking care of our livestock and we worked until dark everyday after school. We also worked every weekend that we were not hunting or fishing. It's a tough life.

With yourself and two disabled people to care for I would in noway think that one person would have the time it would require to make this work. Maybe if you were 20-30 years old and didn't mind working dawn to dark 7 days per week but damn sweetheart this is a tough thing to pull off.

I would seriously consider getting on the edge of town somewhere in a cheaper state to live in Arkansas, Missouri someplace like that. The cost of living would be less, your 200,000K would be sufficient to set yourself and your family up comfortably and raise some rabbits and chickens for food. Gardening would also be a lot easier in the milder climates. Food stamps with two disabled people to care for and no shame for asking for them because of the disabilities would go a heck of a lot farther then trying to live off of the land would. Living off the land in Alaska is still a very difficult thing to pull off and it's about the only place left that offers what you describe.

Last edited:
Alaska is the last frontier here in the US but 9 months of winter and - 40 degree weather sure gets old. I wouldn't head up there to retire, it's a younger game. I would think Costa Rico or Belize great fishing and climate but I have never inquired about hunting and/or firearm ownership. Geez, this sure doesn't sound like to good an idea to me. I mean someplace rural would be great with chickens, rabbits are good food producers to. I grew up raising and eating goats but I don't mind not eating goat meat anymore.

Climate has to be a big consideration. Do you mind the snow and cold weather? If you can deal with that then what's been said about Idaho and Washington State is good. Central Oregon is good and if you get closer to the coast the climate is not to cold but you do get 4 or 5 months of rain and/or drizzle.

Nevada has not state income tax, is hot but livable. We used to just go out at night for shopping and such to beat the heat. You will need water which you will have no problem with in a rural desert town but hunting will be limited. Raising your own food would be OK though.

Washington State and Alaska have no state income tax either. Sorry for rambling but you have posed a tough question and I have just posted my thoughts as they have come to me. I grew up raising about 75% of our own food meat and vegetables and I tell you what it was a full time job. We were up a couple of hours before school taking care of our livestock and we worked until dark everyday after school. We also worked every weekend that we were not hunting or fishing. It's a tough life.

With yourself and two disabled people to care for I would in noway think that one person would have the time it would require to make this work. Maybe if you were 20-30 years old and didn't mind working dawn to dark 7 days per week but damn sweetheart this is a tough thing to pull off.

I would seriously consider getting on the edge of town somewhere in a cheaper state to live in Arkansas, Missouri someplace like that. The cost of living would be less, your 200,000K would be sufficient to set yourself and your family up comfortably and raise some rabbits and chickens for food. Gardening would also be a lot easier in the milder climates. Food stamps with two disabled people to care for and no shame for asking for them because of the disabilities would go a heck of a lot farther then trying to live off of the land would. Living off the land in Alaska is still a very difficult thing to pull off and it's about the only place left that offers what you describe.

You're right about Alaska being tough, but some of us love it and don't mind the challenge. My folks lived in Nevada and I will tell you, it is no picnic to garden or raise livestock. Water is pretty scarce in lots of places and the recent droughts have affected everybody there.
My suggestion would be some place with a moderate climate, low taxes, and as far away from major urban centers as you can get and still be comfortable. The Southeastern US, or maybe around the Continental Divide. Don't be afraid to prepare yourself for a bumpy ride.

While I applaud the idea of people being more independent, having a garden, solar panels, etc etc. I think you really need to think long and hard about this. It sounds like you are the only fully functioning person in your family, and you alone would be responsible for the care of 3 other people. Farms take a lot of work, animals, plants, all of the is very time consuming. When my grandma turned 65 she sold her small farm and moved in with my uncle, she simply couldn't handle all of the work on her own, it was very labor intensive and hard on her.

Okay, my husband is getting ready to retire. We are looking at the complete collapse of our monetary system due to debt that we can't possibly pay (American's debt, not ours). So we are considering purchasing some land off in the boonies hoping we can live off the land in our old age. Any suggestions as to where we could retire? Where we could find land with water that was cheap enough and in a good area? Someplace we can put a couple of small homes on, one for us and one for our adult child who is disabled? Preferably someplace close to where we could go hunting for food. Would be cool if there was someplace close by that we could go fishing and it all has to cost about $200,000 or less.

Is this impossible? Any suggestions? We would prefer to stay in our state due to our other disabled child who is in a home and we want to be close to him too.

Also suggestions...my husband is considering closing out his VIP account (most call it a 401K) due to the government threatening to take it over. My husband would then invest that money in the land, a home or improvements on the land and we'd live on social security and Boeing's retirement plan for as long as that lasts. Does anybody think this is a good idea or bad idea? Why or why not?

Your plan has a major flaw. It is based on a monetary collapse but then depends on federal and pension retirement. If there is a monetary collapse those resources won't be there.

Living off the land is hard work 7 days a week just for basic necessities. You're better off living near some small town in a mild climate and living as cheap as you can while stockpiling the rest in some sort of liquid assets (gold, silver, grain, simple grain machinery, lifestock). If no collapse occurs you'll be happy knowing you're alive and prepared while living simply. If a collapse occurs you'll have items of value that you can barter for the necessities you can't provide for yourselves.

well you are probably in a pretty good location already. I'm sure there are some fairly remote areas in your state. and i guess it all depends just how completely you plan on living off the land. going into it completely is quite a task. and there are a lot of things to consider. think of having no supermarket to go to, what would you do? but if you want to supplement a conventional existence there are a lot of things you can do without too much difficulty.

Growing crops - remember, the growing season is only so long. then what do you do after? you get maybe 4 months out of the year to grow, so you have to stagger your planting and start out with cold weather crps like peas, radish, parsnips, some lettuce, beets. then move into your beans, spinach, and all the late spring and summer vegetables. then have the fall harvest stuff like squash, potatos, brussel sprouts. you want stuff you can freeze and can and stuff that will keep well in a root cellar. a good root cellar is very important. also stagger your crops. they mature at a set time. so to ensure you always hae a harvest, plant a few rows. a few weeks later plant a few more. then a few weeks later, a few more. i'm just starting to play around with hydroponics and growing indoors during the winter.

hunting, you always have to abide by the hunting season. but taking even one deer can last you a pretty long time. 2-3 depending on the size and how many you have to feed can last the whole winter. fishing, you have to catch a lot of fish to make it through a winter.

things like goats and chickens are pretty essential. for the eggs and milk. and they are very hardy. you just have to protect them from predators.

supplementing is very doable. going totally off grid is a challenge. you need to keep warm too. cutting enough wood for a winter is a real chore. you'll need at least 8-10 chords. there is a lot to think about. start out modest and work your way up. as you start to get into it, it can be a lot of fun. it;s all about having the time and ability and nerve to try it.

I can get more specific on a lot of things if you want.

Cutting enough wood to last all winter would be almost impossible. Even with the right machines which cost thousands of dollars it is still a huge amount of work. Buying a few cords of wood and supplementing with propane or electric heat is more feasible. Pellet stoves are also popular here and the pellets can be purchased at many outlets. I don't have one so I do not know what the cost/BUTs would be.

The biggest thing that strikes me is that one person will have their hands full taking care of the place and two disabled people. That right there is likely a full time job which would not leave a lot of time or energy for heavy labor which living off of the land entails. I would seriously think of locating on the edge of town in a rural area where other folks raise animals and have yearly gardens where you would also have basic utilities available.

A person can get a nice 2 acre place with a house and add a decent 5th. wheel trailer or regular tow trailer under an aluminum RV cover for what you have available in your budget. In the right area you would have your pick of places starting at what about 90K or so for a place that isn't devolved real well. Spending a bit more will get you a better house maybe a stand alone garage or metal building along with your couple of acres. All a travel trailer for another residence for a single guy would need is a sewer hook up, water and an extension cord with 35 or 50 amps of service. The sewer hookup can also be worked around with a portable tank or a Macerator sewage pump .

Last edited:
Composting toilets.

Sun-MarCompostingToilet.jpg

Cutting enough wood to last all winter would be almost impossible. Even with the right machines which cost thousands of dollars it is still a huge amount of work. Buying a few cords of wood and supplementing with propane or electric heat is more feasible. Pellet stoves are also popular here and the pellets can be purchased at many outlets. I don't have one so I do not know what the cost/BUTs would be.

The biggest thing that strikes me is that one person will have their hands full taking care of the place and two disabled people. That right there is likely a full time job which would not leave a lot of time or energy for heavy labor which living off of the land entails. I would seriously think of locating on the edge of town in a rural area where other folks raise animals and have yearly gardens where you would also have basic utilities available.

A person can get a nice 2 acre place with a house and add a decent 5th. wheel trailer or regular tow trailer under an aluminum RV cover for what you have available in your budget. In the right area you would have your pick of places starting at what about 90K or so for a place that isn't devolved real well. Spending a bit more will get you a better house maybe a stand alone garage or metal building along with your couple of acres. All a travel trailer for another residence for a single guy would need is a sewer hook up, water and an extension cord with 35 or 50 amps of service. The sewer hookup can also be worked around with a portable tank or a Macerator sewage pump .

another thing i'd consider is one common house vs a few houses. you have 3 houses you are heating 3 houses. 3 times the wood.

another thing i'd consider is one common house vs a few houses. you have 3 houses you are heating 3 houses. 3 times the wood.

Excellent point.

Really, Sheila,
I have to agree with what the others are telling you. It's a lot of work for one person to keep themselves going, living rough. I you had to work for three, especially with separate housing, it would be pretty much physically impossible for even the most hearty youngsters. We are not the people our grandparents were. Particulary with health issues like you all face, being closer to medical care would be an important consideration. Just think what it would be like to be snowed in and need to get out quickly? But don't let us squash you too much. If you really want something, dang...go for it!

Your plan has a major flaw. It is based on a monetary collapse but then depends on federal and pension retirement. If there is a monetary collapse those resources won't be there.

Living off the land is hard work 7 days a week just for basic necessities. You're better off living near some small town in a mild climate and living as cheap as you can while stockpiling the rest in some sort of liquid assets (gold, silver, grain, simple grain machinery, lifestock). If no collapse occurs you'll be happy knowing you're alive and prepared while living simply. If a collapse occurs you'll have items of value that you can barter for the necessities you can't provide for yourselves.

My plan has a lot of flaws, it's all just talk right now and to get ideas from other people. Suggestions as to which small town and why?

Really, Sheila,
I have to agree with what the others are telling you. It's a lot of work for one person to keep themselves going, living rough. I you had to work for three, especially with separate housing, it would be pretty much physically impossible for even the most hearty youngsters. We are not the people our grandparents were. Particulary with health issues like you all face, being closer to medical care would be an important consideration. Just think what it would be like to be snowed in and need to get out quickly? But don't let us squash you too much. If you really want something, dang...go for it!

I guess the biggest thing I want is a smaller house in an area with fewer regulations. If I have an RV I darn well want to be able to park it in my driveway. If I want a fire in my fireplace I don't want to have to pay a fine. I think utility taxes are ridiculous. If I want to have chickens, I don't want to be told I can't have them. Definitely need to find a place in the country but maybe not too much in the country.

My plan has a lot of flaws, it's all just talk right now and to get ideas from other people. Suggestions as to which small town and why?

I am dismally unqualified to make suggestions as to where you might settle in the Lower 48I've lived up here since '88 and only rarely venture Outside. I have already made my decision and will be doing things the hard way, for my personal satisfaction. I even look forward to running my B&B the "hard" way after testing a lot of things out on my smaller cabin and barn.
I will tell you, don't let being a woman be a daunting factor. You have a lot of other important considerations, too. Some chickens and goats, maybe a pig or beef cow, a nice garden, all that is well within you capabilities. Just think of having your own veggie and cheese omelet, with a big side of home made sausage or bacon...all done yourself.

I don't know about *thousands* of dollars to cut enough wood for a winter...you get your permit (I don't know how much it costs, but it isn't much), and a chain saw, and a truck.....if you already have the truck then really your only expense is fuel...and time. The chainsaw, if you don't have one, costs anywhere from $200 up.

I don't know about *thousands* of dollars to cut enough wood for a winter...you get your permit (I don't know how much it costs, but it isn't much), and a chain saw, and a truck.....if you already have the truck then really your only expense is fuel...and time. The chainsaw, if you don't have one, costs anywhere from $200 up.

I was thinking a bit bigger.

Forum List

Back