Liberals Obliterated by Founding Fathers on Guns

But still, you are agreeing the the right to bear arms (all arms not just firearms) is not absolute.

Can we establish this much?

krist, what a cluster F this thread is.

on a positive note, I would hope all flag hugging "dont tread on me" teabillies realize they are being taken to the bank. Washington's quote in the OP is not what he said, it been twisted to meet the right wings demand for what ever the F they are all worked over for the time being.

In all honesty, I could care less what any of those men said in 1776 or later. What I do care about is my family's safety in America. And right now, I dont feel my family is safe with this weird gun obsession we have and this insentient need to hold the US Constitution like its a passage of the King James Bible.

OT: I have told you all I work for NASA in the past. I have some awesome Space X Dragon ISS resupply launch swag to give away. There is a launch on March 1st. Inbox me if you are interested. I dont mind sharing with the masses.

Fantastic Post. :clap2:

But I assume you do not support the right to bear nuclear arms. And if my assumption is correct then even you, a passionate patriotic supporter of the 2nd Amendment, concede that the right to bear arms should not be absolute. And once you cross that bold line, all that's left to do is to redraw the line where you think it makes sense. So where do you draw the line? RPGs? Tanks? 50cal machine guns? etc...

You seem like an educated man who has given this considerable thought, so I look forward to hearing what you have to say about that.

Firearm: A small arms weapon, as a rifle or pistol, from which a projectile is fired by gunpowder. Firearm | Define Firearm at Dictionary.com

Arms: (plural) a weapon, esp a firearm
-- World English Dictionary

Does that include an AR-15? or an AK-47?

I think it would.

Yeah, those aren't machine guns. Machine guns are automatic, which are effectively banned nation wide. Semi-automatic rifles shoot one bullet each pull of the trigger. What's wrong with that.

Why don't you want to ban the #1 most used gun in all gun murders, the handgun. The gun used in Colombine massacre with 93 shots fired from a pistol.

You're going after the gun that is rarely used, 5% of gun murders.

Firearm: A small arms weapon, as a rifle or pistol, from which a projectile is fired by gunpowder. Firearm | Define Firearm at Dictionary.com

I think it would.

Yeah, those aren't machine guns. Machine guns are automatic, which are effectively banned nation wide. Semi-automatic rifles shoot one bullet each pull of the trigger. What's wrong with that.

Why don't you want to ban the #1 most used gun in all gun murders, the handgun. The gun used in Colombine massacre with 93 shots fired from a pistol.

I'm not convinced either way about whether we need more gun laws, fewer, or if it's about right the way it is. But what is abundantly clear to me is that there is considerable disagreement concerning what is actually protected by the 2nd Amendment. Academically, it sounds pretty absolute to me when I read it back. But we've already agreed that it's ludicrous to support the right to own your own nuclear submarine. So if the written protection of the right is absolute, but everyone agrees that's absurd, where does that leave us? Until we get serious about amending the Constitution to remedy this disconnect, we will be subject to the decisions of the court.

I think it would.

I'm not convinced either way about whether we need more gun laws, fewer, or if it's about right the way it is. But what is abundantly clear to me is that there is considerable disagreement concerning what is actually protected by the 2nd Amendment. Academically, it sounds pretty absolute to me when I read it back. But we've already agreed that it's ludicrous to support the right to own your own nuclear submarine. So if the written protection of the right is absolute, but everyone agrees that's absurd, where does that leave us? Until we get serious about amending the Constitution to remedy this disconnect, we will be subject to the decisions of the court.

Is a nuclear submarine a firearm?

The 2nd Amendment does use the term firearm. It says the right to bear arms shall not be infringed. I'd say a nuclear sub qualifies as "arms" and I question the sanity or honesty of anyone that tells me it doesn't. Are you suggesting that at the time it was written, the 2nd Amendment wasn't intended to include canons, for example?

The 2nd Amendment does use the term firearm. It says the right to bear arms shall not be infringed. I'd say a nuclear sub qualifies as "arms" and I question the sanity or honesty of anyone that tells me it doesn't. Are you suggesting that at the time it was written, the 2nd Amendment wasn't intended to include canons, for example?

They were talking about personal small arms as demonstrated by their use of personal small arms.

They were talking about personal small arms as demonstrated by their use of personal small arms.

The 2nd Amendment doesn't specify "personal small" arms. Where are you getting that from? Somewhere else in the Constitution? Federalist Papers? Jefferson memoirs? What?

Forum List

Back