Louisiana Governor knows this will increase his popularity

Should the 10 Commandments be displayed in public schools in America?

• Total voters
It shows that the Supreme Court was wrong. Just as the Stone vs. Graham decision is wrong and one day should be overturned.
You know what the constitution is, and hopefully have read it. The government is not allowed to establish a religion anywhere in this country. Any religion, anywhere.

You know what the constitution is, and hopefully have read it. The government is not allowed to establish a religion anywhere in this country. Any religion, anywhere.
I have not stated that, I have not argued that, I have not inferred that, nor stated an argument contrary to anyone that has said such.

You do know, and I hope you understand this, that the government can not, in any way shape or form, prohibit the free exercise of religion, by the people. I do hope you have read the 1st amendment and understand this. I can explain it to you if you have any sort of tiny problem comprehending what the 1st amendment, means.

I have not stated that, I have not argued that, I have not inferred that, nor stated an argument contrary to anyone that has said such.

You do know, and I hope you understand this, that the government can not, in any way shape or form, prohibit the free exercise of religion, by the people. I do hope you have read the 1st amendment and understand this. I can explain it to you if you have any sort of tiny problem comprehending what the 1st amendment, means.
Putting the ten commandments in public schools isn't being done by "the people." The Governor did that. Is a governor part of the government or not? It seems like mighty similar words to me.

If all religions are allowed the same displays, there is no problem at all. But when it is the only thing allowed to be displayed, you have a problem.

Yes, the 10 Commandments are represented on one of the friezes decorating the US Supreme Courthouse. It is one of many friezes decorating that building showing law and law givers.

Actually there's at least 3 depictions in the Supreme Court building.

It’s just a posting of 10 tenets from Christianity. Are non-Christians being forced to consume these in the context of Christianity?

The Democrats are going to lose on this one. There are “bigger fish to fry” and Democrats are going to tie state tax dollars up in courts fighting this one out. Even if they win the battle in court they are going to lose politically.

That's not true, the 10 commandments predates Christianity.

First Amendment violated on its face. This is settled law.

A reminder, Louisiana is ranked #47 in education. Is this an effective use of tax dollars to help that issue?

Roe was considered settled law at one time, how'd that work out? And it's not a violation of the 1st Amendment.

Roe was considered settled law at one time, how'd that work out? And it's not a violation of the 1st Amendment.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

How does that violate the 1st Amendment.
More than 40 years ago, in Stone v. Graham, the Supreme Court overturned a similar state statute, holding that the First Amendment bars public schools from posting the Ten Commandments in classrooms.

The Supremes said it not me. The first says "Congress" but state governments make laws too.
Besides, I get the feeling that they are setting up targets for vandalism. How would that make you feel?

Our country was founded on the Ten Commandments. There is no other religion we used to develop our laws. The only problem we have is people who think we must destroy our founding and then elevate other religions to the same level or above Christianity.

Yes, let's display the Moslem Koran view of homosexuality and the punishment of. I am all for that.
This nation was founded by Christians who framed our Constitution with tolerance for all religions and even atheists and agnostics. Somehow, that’s not good enough for some people.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

1st, congress has no input in LA laws, and exactly what religion do you think is being established?

So the U.S. still was not founded on the 10 commandments and you're cherry picking a paragraph doesn't change that.

The First Amendment is very clear, "Congress Shall Make No Law Respecting An Establiment of Religioin or The Free Excerise There of...." There is no State Sponsered, State Sanctioned, State Funded religion in this country. Not every student in Louisiana is a so-called "Christian", he is using the state to push a certain religion and that is wrong

Forum List

Back