Many hunters use AR15s...

If you are a "hunter" and you have to use an AR-15, you suck at hunting and need to stick to hunting in the butcher's market.

why do you put "hunter" in quote marks?

my husband tells me that an AR- (which is the company name Armorlite) 15 comes in many different calibers. He says it is a popular hunting weapon for the same reason it is a popular military weapon. it doesn't jam even when dirty and is reliable. Just what he said. I don't know personally, but I trust him on these issues. Personally think the key is in making sure magazines can't hold more than 10 shots. tighten up background checks, keep guns away from people who shouldn't have them and raise the age of purchase to 21.

then see what happens.

sometimes you need a scalpel to fix things and not a hatchet.

I put "hunter" in quotation marks because many people who say they are hunters, that have to use an AR-15 along with super expensive scopes and everything else, aren't really hunters. They have taken the nut out of the process, especially in this day and age where 99% of deer hunters aren't hunting because it is a necessity to feed their family.

you know, I don't approve of hunting. I wouldn't kill an animal. but my husband, who spent a good chunk of his life working with animals, loves to hunt. he only kills what he'll eat or give to food banks. he's not an a-hole who kills more than his tag and leave it. I don't like it. I don't get it. but he's responsible about it.

for the record, he doesn't use an AR-15 to hunt. but he understand that some people like it.

I put "hunter" in quotation marks because many people who say they are hunters, that have to use an AR-15 along with super expensive scopes and everything else, aren't really hunters. They have taken the nut out of the process, especially in this day and age where 99% of deer hunters aren't hunting because it is a necessity to feed their family.
I am no fan of killing animals for any reason, but violent criminals who prey upon the innocent and helpless, I have no sympathy for.

I keep hearing this talking point...AR15s aren't good for hunting. This talking point is patently false. It is advanced by people who know nothing about guns or hunting. AR15s are accurate, in a hunting caliber, easy to work on, and simple to customize. They will eventually supplant the bolt action rifle in the same way the bolt action rifle supplanted the lever action rifle and the lever action rifle supplanted the single shot.

Link to list of Youtube AR-15 Hunting Videos

good varmint gun

out here they are legal for deer

personally i think they are too light for deer

Lived down south for one year....not real hunting. Ugly. No snow.

Nobody beats Texas in hunting.
upload_2018-2-28_20-13-4.png

upload_2018-2-28_20-13-21.png

upload_2018-2-28_20-13-41.png

upload_2018-2-28_20-13-58.png

upload_2018-2-28_20-14-18.png

This barely scratches surface...

I am not against people owning an AR....but for hunting there are an infinite number of better choices. What an ugly gun.

I am not against people owning an AR....but for hunting there are an infinite number of better choices. What an ugly gun.
The prey almost never sees the gun that kills it... Aesthetics don’t really matter.

I keep hearing this talking point...AR15s aren't good for hunting. This talking point is patently false. It is advanced by people who know nothing about guns or hunting. AR15s are accurate, in a hunting caliber, easy to work on, and simple to customize. They will eventually supplant the bolt action rifle in the same way the bolt action rifle supplanted the lever action rifle and the lever action rifle supplanted the single shot.

Link to list of Youtube AR-15 Hunting Videos

How could the AR-15 NOT be an excellent hunting rifle? I mean, if it isn't good for hunting, then what possible good could it or its military version be for combat and war? Combat is no different than hunting, the only difference is the nature of the target you hunt.

Those exotics are canned hunts...another joke. Probably hand fed. Then shot. Big whoop. And the hunters are so proud of it. Hilarious.

Granted, but there has never been a case to my knowledge that an AR-15 has been used in self defense by a civilian. I have no problem with the police using them to save lives, either. But, to imply that I need an AR-15 for self defense is totally delusional.

Here's one.

Three armed criminals, home invasion

Must have been an invisible Ar-15. Probably a "cloaking device"

Three armed men vs one...I wouldn't want anything but an AR15. Wouldn't you?

And before you say "that's unlikely"...it's significantly more likely than the mass shooting you would use to justify banning it.

I am no fan of killing animals for any reason, but violent criminals who prey upon the innocent and helpless, I have no sympathy for.

And what the hell does that have to do with my post and hunting?

Paying to hunt is for unskilled hunters. Like shooting fish in a barrel. But if it strokes their tiny little egos then so be it.

You just made an argument against them yourself. Why buy an AR-15 then if you are handicapped while hunting to have to use it in a similar fashion to normal hunting rifle?

Because I can use an AR15 in dual roles...home protection and hunting.

And it is modular, I can keep the lower and buy an upper in 300 blackout for deer hunting. (we have pretty good sized deer in Missouri)

Plus, I learned the platform inside and out when I was in the Army, including repair. I have a lever action 45 Colt that I would never consider repairing myself...driving out rolled pins to disassemble would be the first of many hindrances. But my AR, I can have it disassembled in minutes with the bare firing pin laying in my hand.

And, it is far easier to customize. The problem with discussing these things with you is you don't know the unfathomable depth of the knowledge you do not possess. You think one just grabs a rifle off the shelf, puts any old bullet in it and it's good to go. I would have to explain length of pull, maximum point blank range, bullet types and weights, charge throws, rifling turn rates and why a 1 in 8 might be better than a 1 in 9 or even 1 in 12 for an AR.

Suffice it to say, anything you can do yourself saves you a pile of money, and when it comes to length of pull, you used to be forced to permanently alter the stock to adjust to a shorter LOP meaning my 5'2" wife and I couldn't share a firearm...or fathers and sons/daughters..prior to the adjustable six position stock.

You don't need an AR-15 to protect your home, and the right to bear arms doesn't say an AR-15 is covered.
The first amendment doesn't specificlly mention your name...

I like to hunt squirrel with my Weatherby Mark V .378 Magnum. It blows the squirrel to bits, goes through the oak tree behind it, through the maple behind it, then through the engine block of the car parked behind it down the road. Real good squirrel gun---- never took more than one round to get any squirrel yet. :mm:

You just made an argument against them yourself. Why buy an AR-15 then if you are handicapped while hunting to have to use it in a similar fashion to normal hunting rifle?

And it is modular, I can keep the lower and buy an upper in 300 blackout for deer hunting. (we have pretty good sized deer in Missouri)

Plus, I learned the platform inside and out when I was in the Army, including repair. I have a lever action 45 Colt that I would never consider repairing myself...driving out rolled pins to disassemble would be the first of many hindrances. But my AR, I can have it disassembled in minutes with the bare firing pin laying in my hand.

And, it is far easier to customize. The problem with discussing these things with you is you don't know the unfathomable depth of the knowledge you do not possess. You think one just grabs a rifle off the shelf, puts any old bullet in it and it's good to go. I would have to explain length of pull, maximum point blank range, bullet types and weights, charge throws, rifling turn rates and why a 1 in 8 might be better than a 1 in 9 or even 1 in 12 for an AR.

Suffice it to say, anything you can do yourself saves you a pile of money, and when it comes to length of pull, you used to be forced to permanently alter the stock to adjust to a shorter LOP meaning my 5'2" wife and I couldn't share a firearm...or fathers and sons/daughters..prior to the adjustable six position stock.

You don't need an AR-15 to protect your home, and the right to bear arms doesn't say an AR-15 is covered.

It doesn't have to. I'm a citizen of the United States.

I'm sure most gun nuts NEED 30 shots to kill a deer.

And here is another one.

My deer rifle will accept a 30 round magazine, and it is bolt action. Mossberg MVP 308.

My bolt action shotgun takes a detachable magazine as well, up to 10 rounds of 12 gauge. Marlin Model 55.

Look them up

So please, feel free to continue to display your ignorance, but read the rest of the thread while you're here.
I've got one in .223 and .308 like yours... still haven't gotten around to taking the 308 out of the box yet (3yrs) lots of other sticks occupying my attention I guess. I very much like that they take my AR-10 and AR-15 mags...

Just remembered, I glass bedded the .223 MVP a couple years back & it improves the stick... You take the action out & it's kind of appalling how flimsy the plastic "bedding" cradle is even for a budget gun. Fill the whole bed in with Devon up to the barrel nut and you'll turn it into a middling level stick with a 1/2 way decent trigger.

It doesn't have to. I'm a citizen of the United States.
And the 2nd doesn't specifically mention ANY guns by type or name so stfu

Granted, but there has never been a case to my knowledge that an AR-15 has been used in self defense by a civilian. I have no problem with the police using them to save lives, either. But, to imply that I need an AR-15 for self defense is totally delusional.

Here's one.

Three armed criminals, home invasion

Must have been an invisible Ar-15. Probably a "cloaking device"

Three armed men vs one...I wouldn't want anything but an AR15. Wouldn't you?

And before you say "that's unlikely"...it's significantly more likely than the mass shooting you would use to justify banning it.

I live in Tucson, which is where the "home invasion" took place. It was a drug deal gone bad. If you are doing drug deals, then, I think that you can say that you need an AR-15 to ward off a home invasion. If you are not dealing drugs, I would say that the odds of you having a home invasion by three people are less than your odds of being hit by lightning, twice.

Forum List

Back