Many hunters use AR15s...

US take my bolt over any rifle in any situation. Any.

You'd like my Sweet Sixteen...free-floated, vented aluminum handguard, 16 inch 1:9 twist bull barrel. It's not as dressed out as HereWeGoAgain 's but it's a tack driver just the same.

View attachment 179619

Nothing ugly about that.
Very nice... Just for future reference, Every AR... ever made, is free-floated and has a vented hand guard. That's how Ugene Stoner designed the AR-10 in 1956. The same design was utilized in the AR-15 shortly thereafter. People might look at you funny if you go around touting these specifics of 'your rifle'... Have fun with your gun & by all means have fun building them yourself in the future... very much like legos. Hard to stop once you start.

You just made an argument against them yourself. Why buy an AR-15 then if you are handicapped while hunting to have to use it in a similar fashion to normal hunting rifle?

Because I can use an AR15 in dual roles...home protection and hunting.

And it is modular, I can keep the lower and buy an upper in 300 blackout for deer hunting. (we have pretty good sized deer in Missouri)

Plus, I learned the platform inside and out when I was in the Army, including repair. I have a lever action 45 Colt that I would never consider repairing myself...driving out rolled pins to disassemble would be the first of many hindrances. But my AR, I can have it disassembled in minutes with the bare firing pin laying in my hand.

And, it is far easier to customize. The problem with discussing these things with you is you don't know the unfathomable depth of the knowledge you do not possess. You think one just grabs a rifle off the shelf, puts any old bullet in it and it's good to go. I would have to explain length of pull, maximum point blank range, bullet types and weights, charge throws, rifling turn rates and why a 1 in 8 might be better than a 1 in 9 or even 1 in 12 for an AR.

Suffice it to say, anything you can do yourself saves you a pile of money, and when it comes to length of pull, you used to be forced to permanently alter the stock to adjust to a shorter LOP meaning my 5'2" wife and I couldn't share a firearm...or fathers and sons/daughters..prior to the adjustable six position stock.

You don't need an AR-15 to protect your home, and the right to bear arms doesn't say an AR-15 is covered.
The first amendment doesn't specificlly mention your name...

It doesn't have to. I'm a citizen of the United States.
And the 2nd doesn't specifically mention ANY guns by type or name so stfu

Your analogy is totally off.

A better analogy would be that the first Amendment protects free speech, EXCEPT certain types like yelling fire in a crowded theater. So the second Amendment covers the right to bear arms... but it doesn't cover ALL firearms.

Because I can use an AR15 in dual roles...home protection and hunting.

And it is modular, I can keep the lower and buy an upper in 300 blackout for deer hunting. (we have pretty good sized deer in Missouri)

Plus, I learned the platform inside and out when I was in the Army, including repair. I have a lever action 45 Colt that I would never consider repairing myself...driving out rolled pins to disassemble would be the first of many hindrances. But my AR, I can have it disassembled in minutes with the bare firing pin laying in my hand.

And, it is far easier to customize. The problem with discussing these things with you is you don't know the unfathomable depth of the knowledge you do not possess. You think one just grabs a rifle off the shelf, puts any old bullet in it and it's good to go. I would have to explain length of pull, maximum point blank range, bullet types and weights, charge throws, rifling turn rates and why a 1 in 8 might be better than a 1 in 9 or even 1 in 12 for an AR.

Suffice it to say, anything you can do yourself saves you a pile of money, and when it comes to length of pull, you used to be forced to permanently alter the stock to adjust to a shorter LOP meaning my 5'2" wife and I couldn't share a firearm...or fathers and sons/daughters..prior to the adjustable six position stock.

You don't need an AR-15 to protect your home, and the right to bear arms doesn't say an AR-15 is covered.

A better analogy would be that the first Amendment protects free speech, EXCEPT certain types like yelling fire in a crowded theater. So the second Amendment covers the right to bear arms... but it doesn't cover ALL firearms.
Wouldn't it be more apt to say "but it doesn't cover aberrant usage of arms...shooting in town (pick your irresponsible usage)". It's a verb / action .... yelling fire... shooting inside building... etc. not a 'passive' thing such as ownership / possession (loose interpretation of "bearing arms".... IMHO

You'd like my Sweet Sixteen...free-floated, vented aluminum handguard, 16 inch 1:9 twist bull barrel. It's not as dressed out as HereWeGoAgain 's but it's a tack driver just the same.

View attachment 179619

Nothing ugly about that.
Very nice... Just for future reference, Every AR... ever made, is free-floated and has a vented hand guard. That's how Ugene Stoner designed the AR-10 in 1956. The same design was utilized in the AR-15 shortly thereafter. People might look at you funny if you go around touting these specifics of 'your rifle'... Have fun with your gun & by all means have fun building them yourself in the future... very much like legos. Hard to stop once you start.

I see what you're saying, but on this one, the handguard is not attached to the barrel, unlike the drop-in variety.

Put an anti gun lib in the wilderness with a revolver during bear breeding season and watch him beg for an AR15...

View attachment 179619

Nothing ugly about that.

I see what you're saying, but on this one, the handguard is not attached to the barrel, unlike the drop-in variety.
All hand guards are attached via the barrel nut threading to the 'upper receiver'... build a few and you'll see or find another hand guard that you might like and begin a collection for use on future builds... All AR's go together the same way... without exception

9.75-Inch-Midlength-Free-Float-Rail-System-for-Continuous-Top-Rail-VTQUADMIDFF.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 179619

Nothing ugly about that.

All hand guards are attached to the barrel nut... build a few and you'll see or find another hand guard that you might like and begin a collection for use on future builds... All AR's go together the same way... without exception

Learn something new every day. I thought I read about this and there was a difference, but I could be wrong. Haven't built one yet, but that's my next adventure.

I have a couple of Anderson stripped lowers on the way....you know, just in case. Thinking of building a 6.5 Grendel.

Wouldn't it be more apt to say "but it doesn't cover aberrant usage of arms...shooting in town (pick your irresponsible usage)". It's a verb / action .... yelling fire... shooting inside building... etc. not a 'passive' thing such as ownership / possession (loose interpretation of "bearing arms".... IMHO

No because they are both items. The first Amendment allows for free speech, however there are some types of speech not included. It's not just about yelling fire in a crowded theater. You also can't threaten people like the President. So the Second Amendment protects the right to bear arms, but it doesn't cover all types of arms, and as I said earlier in the thread, that was even backed by Justice Scalia who was one of the greatest proponents of fire arm ownership to ever serve on the Supreme Court.

Put an anti gun lib in the wilderness with a revolver during bear breeding season and watch him beg for an AR15...

I'm not a Lib but I'd carry bear repellent spray before I'd carry a gun just to kill the bears. No one here is saying you have to go hunting with a revolver either... that's a pretty piss poor attempt at a strawman.

Honestly he would be sheite out of luck with an AR-15... that .224" diameter bullet at an average of 40-60 grains is going to be like getting stuck by a porcupine (for the bear) even with most head shots (& good luck landing more than a couple of those). that bullet is designed for woodchuck size game and your stretching it using it on coyotes (and only if you have fragmenting or some types of hollow points) FMJ's are only designed to wound & glance off bone...bounce around (Geneva Convention rules frankly suck)...

One would be much better off with a large cal. revolver.... just look at those in bear country, they aint toting their varmint AR-15's around but they do have a .44mag, 45 casual type revolver on them just about 24/7

Last edited:
The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting nor self defense. You bringing it up to try and justify war weapons on Main St. is boring and lame.

I suspect that you know the facts of the matter. But you don't like them. Thus, you push ignorance
It's not about the fucking militia either.

So take that shot-down (see Heller), idiot argument and shove it up Diane Feinstein's crusty ass.

No because they are both items. The first Amendment allows for free speech, however there are some types of speech not included. It's not just about yelling fire in a crowded theater. You also can't threaten people like the President. So the Second Amendment protects the right to bear arms, but it doesn't cover all types of arms, and as I said earlier in the thread, that was even backed by Justice Scalia who was one of the greatest proponents of fire arm ownership to ever serve on the Supreme Court.
Still an overt "ACTION" not the mere 'existence of'...

The speech has to exist... you don't get thrown in jail for thoughts you don't share.

And? Most laws are looking to limit clip size as well, as they should. Do you need a 30 round clip to hunt deer? Do you plan on being attacked by 30 deer while sitting in your tree stand?
The magazine size myth. I get tired of debunking that bullshit, but gun-grabbers keep bringing it up, so:

The speech has to exist... you don't get thrown in jail for thoughts you don't share.
Exactly... you have to take the action of (verb) speaking / shouting.... an overt action... tantamount to taking the, (verb) overt action, of shooting irresponsibly...

If you are a "hunter" and you have to use an AR-15, you suck at hunting and need to stick to hunting in the butcher's market.

why do you put "hunter" in quote marks?

my husband tells me that an AR- (which is the company name Armorlite) 15 comes in many different calibers. He says it is a popular hunting weapon for the same reason it is a popular military weapon. it doesn't jam even when dirty and is reliable. Just what he said. I don't know personally, but I trust him on these issues. Personally think the key is in making sure magazines can't hold more than 10 shots. tighten up background checks, keep guns away from people who shouldn't have them and raise the age of purchase to 21.

then see what happens.

sometimes you need a scalpel to fix things and not a hatchet.
Those are progressive ideas, They don’t work in reality.

Forum List

Back