Mark Levin and Donald Sterling

If I bought a McDonald's franchise, would I be able to sell pasta there?

Depends on the contract, don't it?? And again, funny how the clause is not being put out there publicly, if it is so clear

Why would it be "put out there"?

To edify you?

Why?? Because the controversial issue would no longer be so controversial and their focus could be on their playoff revenue instead of negative press... for it would shut up critics... for it would show them being in a complete legal right instead of looking like reactionaries

Many reasons

If I bought a McDonald's franchise, would I be able to sell pasta there?

Depends on the contract, don't it?? And again, funny how the clause is not being put out there publicly, if it is so clear

To edify you?

To demonstrate the league is well within their rights.
I believe the document (the by laws) is available. I saw reference to it in an article.

Actually.. it has everything to do with property rights and contract law.. unless there is a specific clause limiting opinionated speech of owners (which I highly doubt), I doubt seriously they can force a sale of his property.. again, funny how the NBA is not making the clause public
What you doubt is of no concern, to the only thing that matters in this case, the NBA.

Well, you seem to think your opinion is valid.. except mine is based on logic and an educated guess of what is in the contract

Care to bet your username and a voluntary action to never post on this board again that there is no clause that is specific to a loss of ownership based on opinionated or unpopular speech??

Of course there's no "specific" clause about opinions or unpopular speech. There doesn't have to be.

There just has to be a clause that says "This contract is void and the signer will be forced to sell if his conduct reflects poorly on the organization he represents".

Boys, this is not a barn, in a field, off route 11 in Nebraska, that Farmer Brown painted an American flag on. This is a major retail store, that sells Coke, in very specific ways and under very specific conditions. If you fuck with Coke they fuck you up. That's how this works.

He was not forced to sign the contract but he was required to abide by it. They just decided that he did not. That is their call, not his, and he is SOL.

Last edited:
Actually.. it has everything to do with property rights and contract law.. unless there is a specific clause limiting opinionated speech of owners (which I highly doubt), I doubt seriously they can force a sale of his property.. again, funny how the NBA is not making the clause public

What you doubt is of no concern, to the only thing that matters in this case, the NBA.

Well, you seem to think your opinion is valid.. except mine is based on logic and an educated guess of what is in the contract

Care to bet your username and a voluntary action to never post on this board again that there is no clause that is specific to a loss of ownership based on opinionated or unpopular speech??

Actually it's not based on logic at all. You keep forgetting the NBA is allowing them to be in their league, and use their trademark. You can't have an NBA team if the NBA doesn't allow you in the league.
The NBA will vote him out, and they will have every right to which is what is stated in their constitution.
Or do you not think a lifetime ban can be used as a reason for voting out an owner?
No Dave, you do not use logic one bit.

Sent from my iPhone using the tears of Raider's fans.

To edify you?

I believe the document (the by laws) is available. I saw reference to it in an article.

Why should the league demonstrate that to you? The NBA doesn't give a shit whether or not Armchair Attorneys on message boards understand what their "rights" are.

They only have to demonstrate it to the courts, if Sterling fights it.

Please post the relevance of the contract signed 30 years ago.

Please post the text of the morals clause in his contract from 30 years ago, a clause you dont know exists but somehow you know the text of it because it's all boilerplate. And I guess unchanged since, 30 years ago? WW2? The founding of the nBA? The Magna Carta?

You are completely ignorant. Ludicrously so. You post stuff and then contradict yourself two posts later.

:lol:

Watching you dig yourself deeper and deeper is very entertaining.

Ask a lawyer about morals clauses. They've been boilerplate contract language since the 20s. The first sports contract to include one was Babe Ruth's.

No, watching you twist in the wind is most entertaining.

So Sterling's contract contained a morals clause, the text of which you dont know but swear it is boilerplate, that is the same as Babe Ruth;s? Are you going with that?

Did Ty Cobb's contract have a morals clause in it? Did the league ban him for being a racist?

RealClearSports - Top 10 Tarnished Baseball Reputations - 4. Ty Cobb

Wow! You really are that stupid.

Of course there's no "specific" clause about opinions or unpopular speech. There doesn't have to be.

There just has to be a clause that says "This contract is void and the signer will be forced to sell if his conduct reflects poorly on the organization he represents".

I would bet there is a moral clause of some sort.. and highly doubt that it is tied to forced sale, but indeed with other punitive action... and that forced sale would deal with crime, fraud, tampering, etc.. private people with good lawyers do not enter legal agreements so easily if they have very open subjective clauses with extreme financial consequences

ja2upu2y.jpg

You mean like this?
I might add, in another section it states they can use a violation of this to terminate his ownership with a vote.

There doesn't have to be. It's Good Will. See how that works?

Plus there is the whole thing about reflecting poorly in the NBA trademark.
He could probably keep his team, but i doubt the players would stay once they strip anything pertaining to the NBA from the team. I wonder if the Staple Center would allow them to play there after that?

That's why the NBA banned Dennis Rodman?
On November 5, 1999, Rodman and his then-wife, Carmen Electra, were charged with misdemeanors after police were notified of a domestic disturbance. Each posted $2,500 in bail and were released with a temporary restraining order placed on them.[111]

In December 1999 Rodman was arrested for drunken driving and driving without a valid license. In July 2000, Rodman pled guilty to both charges and was ordered to pay $2,000 in fines and was required to attend a three-month treatment program.[112]

He was arrested in 2002 for interfering with police investigating a code violation at a restaurant he owned; the charges were eventually dropped.[8] After settling down in Newport Beach, California, the police appeared over 70 times at his home because of loud parties.[8] In early 2003, Rodman was arrested and charged with domestic violence at his home in Newport Beach for allegedly assaulting his then-fiancee.[113]

In April 2004, Rodman pled nolo contendere to drunken driving in Las Vegas and was fined $1,000 and served 30 days of home detention.[114] On April 30, 2008, Rodman was arrested following a domestic violence incident at a Los Angeles hotel.[115] On June 24, 2008, he pled no contest to the misdemeanor spousal battery charges and was sentenced to one year of domestic violence counseling and three years probation. He received 45 hours of community service, which were to involve some physical labor activities.[116][117]

He could probably keep his team, but i doubt the players would stay once they strip anything pertaining to the NBA from the team. I wonder if the Staple Center would allow them to play there after that?

On November 5, 1999, Rodman and his then-wife, Carmen Electra, were charged with misdemeanors after police were notified of a domestic disturbance. Each posted $2,500 in bail and were released with a temporary restraining order placed on them.[111]

In December 1999 Rodman was arrested for drunken driving and driving without a valid license. In July 2000, Rodman pled guilty to both charges and was ordered to pay $2,000 in fines and was required to attend a three-month treatment program.[112]

He was arrested in 2002 for interfering with police investigating a code violation at a restaurant he owned; the charges were eventually dropped.[8] After settling down in Newport Beach, California, the police appeared over 70 times at his home because of loud parties.[8] In early 2003, Rodman was arrested and charged with domestic violence at his home in Newport Beach for allegedly assaulting his then-fiancee.[113]

In April 2004, Rodman pled nolo contendere to drunken driving in Las Vegas and was fined $1,000 and served 30 days of home detention.[114] On April 30, 2008, Rodman was arrested following a domestic violence incident at a Los Angeles hotel.[115] On June 24, 2008, he pled no contest to the misdemeanor spousal battery charges and was sentenced to one year of domestic violence counseling and three years probation. He received 45 hours of community service, which were to involve some physical labor activities.[116][117]

I'm sure the NBA could have banned Rodman, if they had wanted to.

No, they just waved him and he never played again. It's not so easy with an owner.

So earlier today I mentioned to another poster that sometimes I like to tune in to Conservative talk radio to hear what it is that Republicans are mad about that day and to see what talking points they've got circulating throughout their media.

Well on my way home I happened to turn on Mark Levin and he was talking about the Donald Sterling story and I listened up until just a few minutes ago when I got home. He was very passionate about the ordeal and so were his callers over their concerns about what was going on.

He actually made some great points! Can the NBA really just declare that a privately owned entity can be stripped from a citizen who is the lawful owner? What kind of precedent does that set? How can it be that in a country where ownership rights are protected by law that 31 owners can get together, call a vote, and then gang up on a private citizen and demand that his property be taken? Because of a PRIVATE conversation? :confused: :dunno:

And then I had another thought. These problems that Donald Sterling is having over this whole mess...

...sure seem like the type of things a union was designed to be able to help with :rofl: :lmao:

:thanks:

It has to be two thirds of the owners voting in favor for that to happen I believe while I do have real concerns over people being punished over things they say in private being recorded and then made public and used against them there are standards and rules of conduct that anyone buying a sports team agree to when purchasing a team if you break them these are the possible consequences and every potential owner knows that up front. I have no sympathy for Sterling but add him with CEO from Mozilla who got forced out for making a donation to a pro traditional marriage group in 2006 it starts to set a disturbing trend.

I'm sure the NBA could have banned Rodman, if they had wanted to.

Yep!
Plus there is fact the bylaws changed after the lock out.

The morals clause is a pretty unstable thing for the NBA to place their hopes on. There's contracts, there's laws and then there's the cost balance of enforcing it.

The NBA's moral clause is shaky if this goes to court because all that has to be brought up is all of the past players that also signed the same clause in their contracts to be brought up as examples of inaction by the NBA. You have to have morals in order for a morals clause to hold up. The NBA has proven in the past they don't really give a shit about morals.

The only way the NBA gets rid of Sterling with as little kick back as possible is money. And that price will be set by Sterling. All that's left to do is find that amount and this goes away.

To edify you?

Why should the league demonstrate that to you? The NBA doesn't give a shit whether or not Armchair Attorneys on message boards understand what their "rights" are.

They only have to demonstrate it to the courts, if Sterling fights it.

You understand this is entirely about public opinion and shaping it, right? I would bet most owners probably didnt have a problem with what Sterling said but could never admit to it.
So if the NBA wanted to demonstrate its rightness it would have specified the clauses Sterling violated etc. Unless they had a total incompetent like you running things.

To edify you?

Why?? Because the controversial issue would no longer be so controversial and their focus could be on their playoff revenue instead of negative press... for it would shut up critics... for it would show them being in a complete legal right instead of looking like reactionaries

Many reasons

The NBA isn't getting "negative press" for banning Sterling. In fact, they're getting a lot of positive press from it.

To edify you?

Many reasons

The NBA isn't getting "negative press" for banning Sterling. In fact, they're getting a lot of positive press from it.
Yep. Tossed him right under the bus and started driving, exactly as expected.

Forum List

Back