Media coverage of gang violence sure looks different when the perpetrators are white

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
Media coverage of gang violence sure looks different when the perpetrators are white - Vox

waco.0.0.0.0.jpg

Over the weekend, a shootout between three rival biker gangsat a bar in Waco, Texas, left at least nine gang members dead and 18 others hospitalized with gunshot and stab wounds.

It was a huge, devastating tragedy. The New York Times reported that law enforcement sources called it "the worst violence in the Waco area since the siege on the Branch Davidian compound in 1993 that left 86 people dead."

With the Waco incident, we got just the news — not the racial pathology
Those who are using what happened in Waco to start conversations about stereotypes and media biases against black people aren't complaining about the tenor of this weekend's media coverage. They're saying something a little different: thatby being pretty reasonable and sticking to the facts, this coverage highlights the absurdity of the language and analysis that have been deployed in other instances, when the accused criminals are black.

"9 killed in Waco biker gang shootout - where are the white leaders decrying this white-on-white violence?" #stuffthemedianeversays

Hey @CNN and @FoxNews: Are you gonna talk about white on white crime tonight. Waco is plagued with biker gang violence.

I blame Sons of Anarchy for glorifying white-on-white biker gang violence. #Waco #TwinsPeakShooting

Where are Dick Cheney and Newt Gingrich when their country needs them? This white violence must cease!!! #StopWhiteOnWhiteCrime

Another line of commentary that's predictable in media coverage and commentary surrounding violence involving black people has to do with black cultural pathology.

Politicians and pundits are notorious for grasping for problems in African-American communities — especially fatherlessness — to explain the kind of violence that, when it happens in a white community, is treated as an isolated crime versus an indictment of an entire racial group's way of life.

Has Rand Paul blamed the fatal shooting in Waco on the "lack of fathers," for in that community, yet?

Yep I guess these thugs are not rioting and looting...

So once again the far left drones and their narrative fall flat on it's face..

Wonder if Jay Z will give these guys bail to show he is a true liberal...

But then again show where all the rioters were arrested and had a million dollar bond put on them..

Show me ONE prominent person expressing sympathy for the frustration of these thugs, the way Obama and Sharpton did with Ferguson?

You fail again in your race baiting.

What? Oh you just tee'd up the second part....Its kinda hard to sympathize with people being treated so nicely. Like, aww man look how the cops just sat there and didnt beat them silly.

That's why some observers of the Waco tragedy have taken note of the fact that the gang members in the brawl weren't brutalized or killed by the police officers who arrested them, and actually appeared to be treated with a certain level of civility.

A writer at the blog Crooks and Liars lamented, "Check out the cell phones and smokes while they wait for the cops to process them. No rides in the paddy wagon for them. Just sit on the curb and wait until nice Mr. Policeman has a moment to process you."

That, of course, stands in contrast to what has happened in a string of high-profile cases involving the police-involved deaths of black men who, unlike the Waco bike gang members, were entirely unarmed.

Black culture seems devastated by crime and it's effects. As you libs admit with your discussions recently about the way incarceration contributes to fatherlessness.

White culture does not seem devastated by crime and it's effects. Such instances do seem more like isolated crimes and not social problems.

That being said, I would be surprised if those dead and arrested, hell, all the bikers are not more likely to be the children of single mothers than law abiding whites.

What? Oh you just tee'd up the second part....Its kinda hard to sympathize with people being treated so nicely. Like, aww man look how the cops just sat there and didnt beat them silly.

That's why some observers of the Waco tragedy have taken note of the fact that the gang members in the brawl weren't brutalized or killed by the police officers who arrested them, and actually appeared to be treated with a certain level of civility.

A writer at the blog Crooks and Liars lamented, "Check out the cell phones and smokes while they wait for the cops to process them. No rides in the paddy wagon for them. Just sit on the curb and wait until nice Mr. Policeman has a moment to process you."

That, of course, stands in contrast to what has happened in a string of high-profile cases involving the police-involved deaths of black men who, unlike the Waco bike gang members, were entirely unarmed.

Treated nicely? ROFL

You fool

Everybody — whites, blacks, conservatives, liberals, etc. — thinks what happened is wrong and that the participants are thugs.

And therein lies the difference, ladies and gentlemen, between liberals and conservatives.

We do not judge people by their race, but by their actions. So when white thugs engage in a shootout, we condemn them, race notwithstanding …

Treated nicely? ROFL

You fool

aptopix-waco-shooting.jpg

"ALRIGHTY GUYS! I know you were just involved in a deadly shootout but feel to update your Facebook statuses"​

Everybody — whites, blacks, conservatives, liberals, etc. — thinks what happened is wrong and that the participants are thugs.

And therein lies the difference, ladies and gentlemen, between liberals and conservatives.

We do not judge people by their race, but by their actions. So when white thugs engage in a shootout, we condemn them, race notwithstanding …

Yea I know that but wheres the discussions on the white race?? Fatherless homes? They even put threats out on the police. No biggie.

Black culture seems devastated by crime and it's effects. As you libs admit with your discussions recently about the way incarceration contributes to fatherlessness.

White culture does not seem devastated by crime and it's effects. Such instances do seem more like isolated crimes and not social problems.

That being said, I would be surprised if those dead and arrested, hell, all the bikers are not more likely to be the children of single mothers than law abiding whites.

One of the major differences is that these were gangs of white and Hispanic bikers shooting each other - not looting and burning down buildings, Of course I condemn them, everyone does. And I condemn the DNC news media for calling them "clubs" rather than "gangs." They are gangs, and violent ones.

But this was a gang fight, not a riot.

Yea I know that but wheres the discussions on the white race?? Fatherless homes? They even put threats out on the police. No biggie.

1. This is extremely rare
  2. It was gang fight, not a riot, they were not looting and burning
  3. They did not put hits on the police, you're lying.

Biker gangs are scum, bunch of meth dealers. No one defends them the way Obama and Sharpton defend thugs burning down Ferguson.

Show me ONE prominent person expressing sympathy for the frustration of these thugs, the way Obama and Sharpton did with Ferguson?

Well...the cops SHOT AND KILLED several. They havent announced how many...but several of the 9 dead were shot by the police. And rightfully so.

Plus...you dont see white leaders making excuses for this behavior. They're biker gang scum. Period.

You bring up Sons of Anarchy and ask why we dont blame that. Well....no one blamed The Wire for Baltimore. Your point?

Biker gangs are scum, bunch of meth dealers. No one defends them the way Obama and Sharpton defend thugs burning down Ferguson.

Yep. Itd be different if Rush Limbaugh showed up and was blaming blacks for the white gangs and saying he wants justice for the bikers that cops shot.

Rare? Who cares? I asked where are the white leaders?

Yeah they were only shooting, stabbing and killing. No biggie

Police said they did, but you dont even believe it because white people would never do that

Well...the cops SHOT AND KILLED several. They havent announced how many...but several of the 9 dead were shot by the police. And rightfully so.

Plus...you dont see white leaders making excuses for this behavior. They're biker gang scum. Period.

You bring up Sons of Anarchy and ask why we dont blame that. Well....no one blamed The Wire for Baltimore. Your point?

You're right, I dont see white leaders at all. You're right Bucs, why you didnt blame hip hop music at all Bucs! Cheerio, pip pip

9 people died and the white boys say "well at least they werent looting" LOL

Rare? Who cares? I asked where are the white leaders?

Why would white leaders (as if there are any) say anything about a gang fight between white and Hispanic meth dealers?

You're whacked.

Yeah they were only shooting, stabbing and killing. No biggie

Police said they did, but you dont even believe it because white people would never do that

Only each other, moron. Why do you care if a bunch of whites and Mexicans kill each other?

You don't grasp the difference between that and burning down a CVS after robbing it? :eek:

Forum List

Back