Minimum wage is already “livable”

I'm pretty open-minded. What do you think we should do?
Change the laws to let legal people work and make it harder for illegals.

Years ago, a student came to me for advice when she was applying for a job. She was applying for a minimum wage burger-flipper job like most high school students worked. The manager of the franchise called her and rescinded the job offer, because according to her SS number, she already worked for them. Now, how does a high school, with no money, fight identity theft by illegals?

I think it all boils down to jealousy of the rich. As long as there are multi-millionaires, billionaires, and maybe even trillionaires, then the poor aren't making a living wage.
What Bernie showed is that as long as there are people who have more money than him, he will be calling them villains. Bernie started out haranguing "millionaires and billionaires." Now that he's a millionaire, he only attacks billionaires.

Those are not restricted.

This is what they cannot buy with an EBT card, according to the USDA website...

• Beer, wine, liquor, cigarettes, or tobacco
  • Vitamins, medicines, and supplements. If an item has a Supplement Facts label, it is considered a supplement and is not eligible for SNAP purchase.
  • Live animals (except shellfish, fish removed from water, and animals slaughtered prior to pick-up from the store).
  • Foods that are hot at the point of sale

This was changed years ago.

Well said, Sir.
We may disagree on the solution. I'd simply tax corporations with a penalty if their workers didn't earn enough to not qualify for public assistance. It may be that a small biz in a rural market creates a public good in creating a low paying job, even a job at min wage.

A minimum wage definitely won't destroy our economy. I'm just arguing that the situation is better for poor people looking to develop their skills when they have more opportunities to work wherever they want for whoever they want and for however much money they want.
"for however much money they want."

Where is that happening? I think you may be confusing "taking what they can get" or even "making the best of a bad situation" with "however much they want".

The situation is better for poor people when they aren't working two jobs and 60+ hours a week just to stay poor.

It would increase labor costs across the board making automation to replace those humans more attractive. Automation is the largest blue-collar jobs killer in the country. No reason to put that on steroids.

They automate regardless of wage levels, always have; minimum wage doesn't change that ongoing pattern one iota. Hey if you're fine with Third World wage levels and lifestyles then just move to the Third World; according to the right wing narratives all those countries are economic Paradises, right? Labor costs next to nothing.

Last edited:
Why does the bottom 2% of workers need to be able to get their own place etc etc?

Why do crappy businessmen need to have such cheap labor? If they don't want to pay for labor then they need to build housing and provide food and clothing for their laborers instead of using govt. welfare programs to augment their crappy pay.

We may disagree on the solution. I'd simply tax corporations with a penalty if their workers didn't earn enough to not qualify for public assistance. It may be that a small biz in a rural market creates a public good in creating a low paying job, even a job at min wage.
A good solution until the lobbyists get ahold of it and start demanding carve outs for every major corporation and industry so that it only ends up applying to the small businesses that we'd rather save. Special interests can pervert it unless it's a simple mandate for everyone.

Not really the point of this discussion, but wouldn't you rather the companies they work for paid for these things instead of taxes
It's relevant because there is a significant level of comfort in this country. That context shouldn't be forgotten when having this conversation. Just to get a little more detailed here, what do you personally think the minimum wage should be?

"for however much money they want."

Where is that happening? I think you may be confusing "taking what they can get" or even "making the best of a bad situation" with "however much they want".

The situation is better for poor people when they aren't working two jobs and 60+ hours a week just to stay poor.
Minimum wage isn't going to improve options for poor people. It will reduce the variety of their options instead.

It's relevant because there is a significant level of comfort in this country. That context shouldn't be forgotten when having this conversation. Just to get a little more detailed here, what do you personally think the minimum wage should be?
A. Just because poor people.here are better off than they are on the Capetown Flats doesn't mean they are well off in absolute terms.

B. I do realize minimum wage is not necessarily one size fits all proposition, but if we don't make it one red state government will just throw it out. $15.00 is a good happy medium in my opinion. It's really more than needed for Kansas and the Midwest in general but it's not enough for anywhere on either coast.

'
The minimum wage is $7.25/hr in a lot of states

That equates to an annual salary of just over $14K for a 40hr per week job'

$14K....think about that

That is not a livable wage. Not even close...anywhere in this country

Last edited:
Why do crappy businessmen need to have such cheap labor? If they don't want to pay for labor then they need to build housing and provide food and clothing for their laborers instead of using govt. welfare programs to augment their crappy pay.
Are you against welfare programs?

Sure, some companies will fail. Others with better busy models will replace them. Most companies will adapt, and the market will be stronger for it. Starvation wages are not an opportunity for anyone.
I love the faith you commies have in the market's ability to tolerate whatever you morons subject it to. What if it was your business that failed?

I think it all boils down to jealousy of the rich. As long as there are multi-millionaires, billionaires, and maybe even trillionaires, then the poor aren't making a living wage.
Absolutely untrue. I'm certainly not rich, I'm part of the vanishing middle class. Raising the minimum wage will not change my situation at all.

Forum List

Back