Minimum wage is already “livable”

Why would it be the job of the employer to pay their employees enough to live on?
At a point in the past, the loyalty went both ways. You gave the employer a fair days work, and he ensured you could buy food and pay your mortgage. Thats why folks worked for one company for most of their lives, it was a give and take relationship with benefits for both parties. Corporate greed ended that.

How are they gonna do that of their employees starve to death? Do you seriously think that an employer has no duty to their employees at all?

The American dream is dead.
Their employees aren’t starving to death. They just need to share an apartment with a couple of other people If they’re earning low wages. Like I did 40 years ago. Like my Dad did 70 years ago. Like my grandfather did 100 years ago. Nobody starved.

It wasn’t until the last few years that leftists have defined “starving to death” as not being able to live a middle class lifestyle because someone has no job skills and no education.

At a point in the past, the loyalty went both ways. You gave the employer a fair days work, and he ensured you could buy food and pay your mortgage. Thats why folks worked for one company for most of their lives, it was a give and take relationship with benefits for both parties. Corporate greed ended that.

I got my first job at 15, should they have paid me enough to buy food and pay a mortgage?

Oh, please. In the past, my employer paid me enough to share an apartment. It wasn’t until my job talents matured into more value that I was able to buy my first place, several years later.

It's like you guys deliberately go outta your way to misunderstand what I'm talking about.

I give up, have a nice day.

Not at all, just showing you the weakness of your argument. At 17 I was doing the same thing that 30 year olds were doing. Should they have been paid more to do the same job because they had a family to support?

I'm on board with all of that and don't see any reason not to do both.
I just dont focus on "a livable wage" so much. I learned from a liberal labor guy on another board, but I just think the dems need to focus on "free clinics" giving more or less primary care to anyone, and forget this "giving" insurance to some who don't make enough, and dividing us into classes. and delivering food for working class kids in schools and such. And after school care.

Middle class in America is now 100,000 dollars at the bottom of the middle class. Under 100 grand forget about middle class.
That’s not true, unless you consider owning a 2,000 square foot townhouse in an affluent part of town, going on international vacations, eating out at upscale restaurants, and buying “bridge” clothes a lower-class life.

That’s not true, unless you consider owning a 2,000 square foot townhouse in an affluent part of town, going on international vacations, eating out at upscale restaurants, and buying “bridge” clothes a lower-class life.

Nobody is doing that on 100 grand. You seem to have no clue how much things actually cost.

Forum List

Back