🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Minority kids are stupid

No Jim, they have to take what they get. A lot of these kids come from broken homes, a lot of them have troubled histories from other schools, but they were next on the waiting list. Sometimes my daughter's school is their last chance before the county takes over. She has some pretty horrific stories.

This isn't an academy. It's just an option, and the school gets what it gets. Parents don't drive their kids from one end of the city to another every day for school and this is not in a good area of town, so there's nothing special about the kids.

Who put them on the waiting list? God just deemed it so?

You keep working so hard to prove our point!
I'm pretty happy with my point, and with the results my daughter's school is getting. And I'm happiest for the kids.

Those who have an interest in tearing those results down can do their best. No skin off my nose.

Believe in your daughter's school, but don't try to use them as an example of what every school should be. That is the point. You have a unique situation, be happy that you do. Just don't try to say that fish can learn to climb a tree.
I didn't. You went drama queen. I'm a big fan of maintaining standards & expectations for all. You don't have to be.

Yes, you did. Lying about it now just further proves our point that you are clueless when it comes to education, but fear not! Most people outside education are complete morons on the topic.
Cool, thanks.

That's sad and awful.
When did this weird paranoia about intelligence and education begin?

It really is okay to be intelligent and educated. Really.

I can't believe I just said that.

So in your estimation, being "intelligent and educated" means spewing back, literally, a bunch of random sounds and words for which you have no idea the meaning. And could not explain to anyone if your life depended on it.

That is no where near "learning"--it is mere rote memorization. Memorization has limited used when it is a building block for other knowledge, absolutely: IOW, multiplication tables. The Gettysburg Address in kindergarten is a performance trick.
I'll say it again:

It's not about what they are actually learning at that age. It's about teaching them how to learn.

It's about exercising their minds from different directions. Giving them lots of positive feedback. Constantly. Showing them they can do it.

That's the point. That's what this is all about. I would think that's huge.

If that's not good enough for you, then sorry.

Her point, which went screaming over your pointy little head, is that all you have is rote memorization which happens to be the lowest level of learning. Learning how to memorize is something even kids with severe mental handicaps usually can master.
And I made a contrary point.

Fortunately, I don't require your approval.

Your contrary point is a lie, proven to be so by years of educational research. Suck it up Mac, you are wrong!

That's what I've heard, anyway.

Just got back from a program in the kindergarten class my older daughter teaches at a Charter school. A class in which they know cursive, can read books, and can do third grade math by the time the year is over. In kindergarten.

Anyway, they recited all the states and the state capitols, both as a group and individually; they answered questions on American history and geography; they recited the first part of the Gettysburg Address. And they did one mean bunny hop a couple of times in between.

This class is about 80% black or brown.

This class isn't about your skin color or how much money your parents have. It's about maintaining standards and expectations, giving kids pride in their own achievements, and holding them accountable for their actions.

I'll bet we all know this. Some just refuse to admit it.
Unfortunately this is not going on and most of black schools, the main reason is the broken black family..

Sadly, that is the appropriate word when five year olds are learning the Gettysburg address and memorizing state capitols. "Grooming", not learning. Just memorizing and spewing, that's all. They cannot process that information. They do not understand how long ago one year was, let alone the Civil War. They do not understand how far away the next town is, let alone the next state.

Mac this is no remark on what kind of teacher your daughter is. She is probably having to teach in the iron grip of that Charter school and so it is. She is probably a phenomenal teacher. But that curriculum is not good for learning and ESPECIALLY not 21st century learning. I know that sounds like "liberal code buzz" or whatever but it's true. We don't need people who can memorize stuff that is meaningless to them.

We need people who can make meaning out of what was meaningless before. THAT take genius creativity. You don't get that by teaching five year olds the Gettysburg address.
I'm a little relieved that I'm not the only one left who thinks these kids are being pushed beyond their cognitive maturity.
It's not about what they are actually learning at that age. It's about teaching them how to learn.

It's about exercising their minds from different directions. Giving them lots of positive feedback. Constantly. Showing them they can do it.

That's the point. That's what this is all about. I would think that's huge.

They have not done anything. They have shown that young brains can, indeed, quickly regurgitate a bunch of random sounds at adult direction. Words they can't even understand.

Adults have manipulated this propensity of young children for their own advancement--in this case, to make the school look good for other adults who don't know better. To be honest, adults that know better, know it is a performance trick.
Okay, you're right. I think you should alert the authorities as soon as possible.

Hey if the parents want to put their kids in school where they think this is impressive, more power to them. It's a free country. I"m telling you these kids will hate school by second grade if not before, and they're not learning what they need to learn. And no adults should really be impressed by this. And I gave the reasons for why. These children are not being taught to THINK. They are being taught to spew without thinking.

Conservatives---THIS is why we should be against rote memorization as a means of "rigorous education". We need debaters, thinkers and creators, not a bunch of talking point spewing minions. THIS is how they are created. We have this all wrong, conservatives. I'm just saying.

This approach is also why we keep producing generations of mindless liberals. They memorized the Gettysburg Address in elementary school and never learned what it meant and then forgot the words as they got older. The net result is zero education.

This approach is also why we keep producing generations of mindless liberals. They memorized the Gettysburg Address in elementary school and never learned what it meant and then forgot the words as they got older. The net result is zero education.
And the biased partisan agenda exposes itself at last.

Slade3200, as we were discussing.

And the biased partisan agenda exposes itself at last.

Slade3200, as we were discussing.

Do often discuss education with morons like Slade?

I am sorry, but it is well known that people who are uneducated vote for liberals because they believe in "giverment". What can the government give me today? Tell me what I would get, and I'll vote for you!

Why would a high school dropout ever vote for a conservative against their own interests?

Just got back from a program in the kindergarten class my older daughter teaches at a Charter school. A class in which they know cursive, can read books, and can do third grade math by the time the year is over. In kindergarten.

Anyway, they recited all the states and the state capitols, both as a group and individually; they answered questions on American history and geography; they recited the first part of the Gettysburg Address. And they did one mean bunny hop a couple of times in between.

This class isn't about your skin color or how much money your parents have. It's about maintaining standards and expectations, giving kids pride in their own achievements, and holding them accountable for their actions.

Unfortunately this is not going on and most of black schools, the main reason is the broken black family..
The twenty foot high elephant in the room has a nickname: 'Bell Curve'.
The LIBs pretend not to know it's name and the REPs pretend the twenty foot high elephant in the room has no 'nickname'.
As long as that is the case NOTHING will EVER really get any better for the elephant. Everyone will keep pretending he doesn't exist.
And the negro on negro endemic crime wave will continue.
The inner city shithole schools will continue to fail their kids.
And there will continue to be nowhere in any inner city where whose living there will be able to purchase a carrot that doesn't come from a tin!

I could be wrong, but some of what you're telling me sounds pretty unbelievable. And it certainly isn't because I don't believe students can learn.
They are not starting with average students though,, you know? And it sounds like the parents are intent on heavily investing in their childrens education.
No, I didn't know charter school kids aren't "average." I guess I do now.
Well they vary from locale to local and from school to school, as I understand it.

What makes the kids above average is that their parents go to all the trouble of getting them into a better school.

Also, they tend to be specialized, at least all the ones I have encountered, which is all I know on the topic. So the kids usually got some talent that motivates the parent to take them instead of riding the daily school bus to the day care, I mean, public school.

What a nice story.

Golly! I remember my school hammering cursive writing into our heads as kids. It's importance was most stressed. Save my signature, I almost never use it today.
Because you are a moron. lol

/jk

If you read almost any historical works in their original form, like maybe the CONSTITUTION, you gotta know cursive, broski.

And besides, it is aa faster way to write, if you can read it afterwards.

Ever read the Constitution in the original form? The words "We the people .. " starts it, correct?

It is PRINTED, not in cursive!

The words "Article One"?

What is a Congrefs? An archaic way of writing "Congress" in cursive. Do you still do that?

Cursive was designed for people to write with quill pens because stopping and starting the letters made a horrible mess if they were not very large. Do you still write with a quill pen?

I can print faster than anyone can write in cursive because I have trained myself to do so. All it takes is practice, with time better spent on other subjects than teaching an archaic writing style.

Also, back in my youth, my mother taught me cursive before I started school. When I tried writing my answers in cursive, despite having excellent penmanship, the teachers said I had to print all of my answers because the other kids couldn't read it yet! That was back in the day where you had kids check each other's papers. When the novelty wore off, I never wrote in cursive again.

My 25 year-old daughter is an Army officer and cannot write in cursive to save her life, and it has had zero impact on her life. Wasted time was all it was to her.
As an amateur genealogist, I just worry about them not being able to read it. There are centuries of original primary documents written in cursive, including the censuses, that document our ancestors' lives, not to mention the history of everything else. The typewriter wasn't invented until 1867, and the census takers didn't haul one around to record information. People still wrote letters. etc. Town records are still written in longhand.

My son taught my granddaughter how to read cursive because it is not taught at her school any longer. Apparently it wasn't that hard. I doubt she can write it, though. And that's okay.

My son taught my granddaughter how to read cursive because it is not taught at her school any longer. Apparently it wasn't that hard. I doubt she can write it, though. And that's okay.
Writing in cursive takes practice. OMG I remember writing big spirals and little spirals to learn to control my pen, lol.

Writing in cursive takes practice. OMG I remember writing big spirals and little spirals to learn to control my pen, lol.
My daughter showed me a study that goes over how different subjects exercise the brain in different ways. For example, learning cursive stimulates the brain in the same ways that learning language, art and music do (as I recall). Math stimulates other areas, history other areas. The inputs are all organized in unique ways. So the goal is to stimulate all areas in different ways. So there is memorization, there is critical thinking practice, there is multiple choice, there is team activity, etc.

Pretty interesting.

What a nice story.

Golly! I remember my school hammering cursive writing into our heads as kids. It's importance was most stressed. Save my signature, I almost never use it today.

/jk

If you read almost any historical works in their original form, like maybe the CONSTITUTION, you gotta know cursive, broski.

Ever read the Constitution in the original form? The words "We the people .. " starts it, correct?

The words "Article One"?

What is a Congrefs? An archaic way of writing "Congress" in cursive. Do you still do that?

Cursive was designed for people to write with quill pens because stopping and starting the letters made a horrible mess if they were not very large. Do you still write with a quill pen?

I can print faster than anyone can write in cursive because I have trained myself to do so. All it takes is practice, with time better spent on other subjects than teaching an archaic writing style.

Also, back in my youth, my mother taught me cursive before I started school. When I tried writing my answers in cursive, despite having excellent penmanship, the teachers said I had to print all of my answers because the other kids couldn't read it yet! That was back in the day where you had kids check each other's papers. When the novelty wore off, I never wrote in cursive again.

My 25 year-old daughter is an Army officer and cannot write in cursive to save her life, and it has had zero impact on her life. Wasted time was all it was to her.
As an amateur genealogist, I just worry about them not being able to read it. There are centuries of original primary documents written in cursive, including the censuses, that document our ancestors' lives, not to mention the history of everything else. The typewriter wasn't invented until 1867, and the census takers didn't haul one around to record information. People still wrote letters. etc. Town records are still written in longhand.

You are absolutely correct! Does anyone realize how easy it is to learn to read cursive as opposed to learning to write it?

It's like my wife told me last night, "It isn't hard!"

My daughter showed me a study that goes over how different subjects exercise the brain in different ways. For example, learning cursive stimulates the brain in the same ways that learning language, art and music do (as I recall). Math stimulates other areas, history other areas. The inputs are all organized in unique ways. So the goal is to stimulate all areas in different ways. So there is memorization, there is critical thinking practice, there is multiple choice, there is team activity, etc.

Pretty interesting.

Rubbing yourself in the right places also stimulates the brain.

That's the kind of study that would disprove everything you seem to believe about learning, that teachers know already. because we take classes in the theory of learning, the psychology of learning, and nice little topics of which you seem to be unaware.

Unfortunately, your daughter doesn't seem to get that her curriculum is going against that study by promoting rote memorization.

Last edited:

Pretty interesting.

That's the kind of study that would disprove everything you seem to believe about learning, that teachers know already. because we take classes in the theory of learning, the psychology of learning, and nice little topics of which you seem to be unaware.
Good gawd.

I'm sorry this thread has upset you.

But I don't care.

What a nice story.

/jk

The words "Article One"?

You are absolutely correct! Does anyone realize how easy it is to learn to read cursive as opposed to learning to write it?

We were taught an "experimental" form of cursive that simplified some of the letters, like the capitol Q for instance. Fortunately, I missed the New Math experiments.

Pretty interesting.

Good gawd.

I'm sorry this thread has upset you.

But I don't care.

Upset? Who is upset? It is obvious you don't care, because you keep posting shit proving yourself wrong.

What a nice story.

/jk

The words "Article One"?

We were taught an "experimental" form of cursive that simplified some of the letters, like the capitol Q for instance. Fortunately, I missed the New Math experiments.

Back when I was in the Navy, my daughter learned cursive writing in Florida, and then we transferred to Rhode Island. The teachers informed my wife that my daughter was writing cursive incorrectly because they chose a different style. Imagine having to learn how to write cursive in a completely different style because some pinhead decided they didn't like the way a capital "f" looked in the style you were taught.

When it comes to education, it appears that one end of the spectrum would like to see Bible study interspersed between Sean Hannity podcasts, and the other end would like to see sensitivity training interspersed between microaggression awareness meetings.

For our kid's sake, and for our country's sake, I'm so happy schools like my daughter's exist.

Teachers are grossly underpaid.
Under-armed too. They need tazers

When it comes to education, it appears that one end of the spectrum would like to see Bible study interspersed between Sean Hannity podcasts, and the other end would like to see sensitivity training interspersed between microaggression awareness meetings.

For our kid's sake, and for our country's sake, I'm so happy schools like my daughter's exist.

Good for you! If ignorance is bliss, you should be very happy!

Forum List

Back