🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Minority kids are stupid

That’s amazing... kudos to your daughter for doing an excellent job grooming our youth!
Yes it is amazing finding a teacher actually teaching kids something they need instead of brainwashing them.
Most teachers are out there helping kids. Dont buy into the propaganda
That's why so many functional illiterates are graduating.

Many of them apparently post on this message board.

How much less does she make than a real teacher at a real school?
A real teacher at a real school?

Cool.
Yes I knew a woman who was a charter school teacher. She couldn't get a real teaching job. She didn't have the credentials. A charter school had no problem hiring her though.

The difference between a charter school and a real school is the parents care at a charter school. That's why they aren't sending them to the really shitty public school that's in their neighborhood.

Charter schools are better than Detroit Public Schools but not better than metro Detroit Public Schools.

And still teachers in Detroit Public Schools make more than charter school teachers.

Republican montra is a shitty job is better than no job at all. Doesn't matter that they can barely pay their bills and they aren't saving anything towards retirement. Retirement? What's that, says most Americans.
The school is in the state's 95th testing percentile, it's keeping standards & expectations high, it's creating highly educated students of all colors, and the parents love it, as evidenced by its long waiting list.

That's what I care about. The rest is noise.

Long waiting list = parent involvement.

That's what I've heard, anyway.

Just got back from a program in the kindergarten class my older daughter teaches at a Charter school. A class in which they know cursive, can read books, and can do third grade math by the time the year is over. In kindergarten.

Anyway, they recited all the states and the state capitols, both as a group and individually; they answered questions on American history and geography; they recited the first part of the Gettysburg Address. And they did one mean bunny hop a couple of times in between.

This class is about 80% black or brown.

This class isn't about your skin color or how much money your parents have. It's about maintaining standards and expectations, giving kids pride in their own achievements, and holding them accountable for their actions.

I'll bet we all know this. Some just refuse to admit it.
Teachers are grossly underpaid.
They are paid to much for the lousy job they do.

How the hell would you know? When was the last time you sat through a teacher's workday? Notice I said "workday" and not "school day"!

Also notice I said "sat", which is something teacher's rarely get to do during the workday.

Just got back from a program in the kindergarten class my older daughter teaches at a Charter school. A class in which they know cursive, can read books, and can do third grade math by the time the year is over. In kindergarten.

Anyway, they recited all the states and the state capitols, both as a group and individually; they answered questions on American history and geography; they recited the first part of the Gettysburg Address. And they did one mean bunny hop a couple of times in between.

This class isn't about your skin color or how much money your parents have. It's about maintaining standards and expectations, giving kids pride in their own achievements, and holding them accountable for their actions.

How the hell would you know? When was the last time you sat through a teacher's workday? Notice I said "workday" and not "school day"!

Also notice I said "sat", which is something teacher's rarely get to do during the workday.
It's pretty obvious isn't it? My two grand kids recently graduated high school and they know nothing about civil rights, who any local politicians are, voting, or history of how we got here.Young people are not learning much of anything they need to know. Even when my kids were in school it was obvious from my observations. The teachers refused to discipline the trouble makers because of liberal scum created policies that lead to the creation of more Nicholas Cruz monsters.

What a nice story.

Golly! I remember my school hammering cursive writing into our heads as kids. It's importance was most stressed. Save my signature, I almost never use it today.
Because you are a moron. lol

/jk

If you read almost any historical works in their original form, like maybe the CONSTITUTION, you gotta know cursive, broski.

And besides, it is aa faster way to write, if you can read it afterwards.

Ever read the Constitution in the original form? The words "We the people .. " starts it, correct?

It is PRINTED, not in cursive!

The words "Article One"?

It is PRINTED, not in cursive!

What is a Congrefs? An archaic way of writing "Congress" in cursive. Do you still do that?

Cursive was designed for people to write with quill pens because stopping and starting the letters made a horrible mess if they were not very large. Do you still write with a quill pen?

I can print faster than anyone can write in cursive because I have trained myself to do so. All it takes is practice, with time better spent on other subjects than teaching an archaic writing style.

Also, back in my youth, my mother taught me cursive before I started school. When I tried writing my answers in cursive, despite having excellent penmanship, the teachers said I had to print all of my answers because the other kids couldn't read it yet! That was back in the day where you had kids check each other's papers. When the novelty wore off, I never wrote in cursive again.

My 25 year-old daughter is an Army officer and cannot write in cursive to save her life, and it has had zero impact on her life. Wasted time was all it was to her.

It's pretty obvious isn't it? My two grand kids recently graduated high school and they know nothing about civil rights, who any local politicians are, voting, or history of how we got here.Young people are not learning much of anything they need to know. Even when my kids were in school it was obvious from my observations. The teachers refused to discipline the trouble makers because of liberal scum created policies that lead to the creation of more Nicholas Cruz monsters.

Do you know why? Schools are all about the high stakes testing demanded by conservatives for school accountability. The reason you don't know this is that you are completely unfamiliar with the environment in schools and the curriculum being taught.

Teachers do not have time for teaching them the names of the mayor, governor, etc. because they are too busy worrying about losing their jobs if the little morons cannot pass a test! History, science and other topics are all secondary to the reading, writing, and math scores that are demanded by conservatives to validate their politics of ignoring education.

Do you know why? Schools are all about the high stakes testing demanded by conservatives for school accountability. The reason you don't know this is that you are completely unfamiliar with the environment in schools and the curriculum being taught.

Teachers do not have time for teaching them the names of the mayor, governor, etc. because they are too busy worrying about losing their jobs if the little morons cannot pass a test! History, science and other topics are all secondary to the reading, writing, and math scores that are demanded by conservatives to validate their politics of ignoring education.
I see, you've gone full on media fed. Goodbye.

Dont worry, they will process it LATER.
There is no guarantee of that, and you're wasting time and brain space doing things that LOOK impressive, but aren't. It's the academic equivalent of riding a unicycle. Looks impressive but is a trick. Really. It's a trick.

Probably a third of them will use it in real life.

All of them will use it with advantage to learning more easily later as they continue their education in regular schools or private schools.

No education is ever wasted if it teaches truthful things.

That was a lie someone taught you no doubt.

Media fed? How about 21 years in the classroom and administration?

Part of the problem then.

I could be wrong, but some of what you're telling me sounds pretty unbelievable. And it certainly isn't because I don't believe students can learn.
They are not starting with average students though,, you know? And it sounds like the parents are intent on heavily investing in their childrens education.
No, I didn't know charter school kids aren't "average." I guess I do now.
No Jim, they have to take what they get. A lot of these kids come from broken homes, a lot of them have troubled histories from other schools, but they were next on the waiting list. Sometimes my daughter's school is their last chance before the county takes over. She has some pretty horrific stories.

This isn't an academy. It's just an option, and the school gets what it gets. Parents don't drive their kids from one end of the city to another every day for school and this is not in a good area of town, so there's nothing special about the kids.

Who put them on the waiting list? God just deemed it so?

You keep working so hard to prove our point!

I could be wrong, but some of what you're telling me sounds pretty unbelievable. And it certainly isn't because I don't believe students can learn.
They are not starting with average students though,, you know? And it sounds like the parents are intent on heavily investing in their childrens education.
No Jim, they have to take what they get. A lot of these kids come from broken homes, a lot of them have troubled histories from other schools, but they were next on the waiting list. Sometimes my daughter's school is their last chance before the county takes over. She has some pretty horrific stories.

This isn't an academy. It's just an option, and the school gets what it gets. Parents don't drive their kids from one end of the city to another every day for school and this is not in a good area of town, so there's nothing special about the kids.

I'm pretty happy with my point, and with the results my daughter's school is getting. And I'm happiest for the kids.

Those who have an interest in tearing those results down can do their best. No skin off my nose.

The other is the smell of the grass and dirt of my HS football practice field on a brutally hot humid Labor Day when coach wasn’t pleased with the team’s effort, so at the end after running more gassers than normal he topped it off with a long session of up-downs. It’s the most exhaustive experience I’ve ever had and every time my chin neared the ground I smelled grass, dirt, sweat, and whatever unlike anything I had ever smelled before or after again in 4 years of practicing on that field.
My third one is the smell of the printouts from the memeograph machine.
Now that you mention it that could be my third as well.

Part of the problem then.

Really? I should have ignored the instructions and laws given to me to me by Republican administrations in the local, state and federal education bureaucracies, just so I lose my job? Is that what I should have done?

Guess what? I was such a strict teacher and held my students accountable that almost every school always used the opt-out clause on my contract because parents complained that I was too demanding and I was too expensive to pay, even making less than $50,000 a year with 20 years experience.

The other is the smell of the grass and dirt of my HS football practice field on a brutally hot humid Labor Day when coach wasn’t pleased with the team’s effort, so at the end after running more gassers than normal he topped it off with a long session of up-downs. It’s the most exhaustive experience I’ve ever had and every time my chin neared the ground I smelled grass, dirt, sweat, and whatever unlike anything I had ever smelled before or after again in 4 years of practicing on that field.
My third one is the smell of the printouts from the memeograph machine.
Now that you mention it that could be my third as well.
Holy crap, I can still remember that smell.

I'm pretty happy with my point, and with the results my daughter's school is getting. And I'm happiest for the kids.

Those who have an interest in tearing those results down can do their best. No skin off my nose.

Believe in your daughter's school, but don't try to use them as an example of what every school should be. That is the point. You have a unique situation, be happy that you do. Just don't try to say that fish can learn to climb a tree.

Believe in your daughter's school, but don't try to use them as an example of what every school should be. That is the point. You have a unique situation, be happy that you do. Just don't try to say that fish can learn to climb a tree.
I didn't. You went drama queen. I'm a big fan of maintaining standards & expectations for all. You don't have to be.

That's sad and awful.
When did this weird paranoia about intelligence and education begin?

It really is okay to be intelligent and educated. Really.

I can't believe I just said that.

So in your estimation, being "intelligent and educated" means spewing back, literally, a bunch of random sounds and words for which you have no idea the meaning. And could not explain to anyone if your life depended on it.

That is no where near "learning"--it is mere rote memorization. Memorization has limited used when it is a building block for other knowledge, absolutely: IOW, multiplication tables. The Gettysburg Address in kindergarten is a performance trick.
I'll say it again:

It's not about what they are actually learning at that age. It's about teaching them how to learn.

It's about exercising their minds from different directions. Giving them lots of positive feedback. Constantly. Showing them they can do it.

That's the point. That's what this is all about. I would think that's huge.

If that's not good enough for you, then sorry.

Her point, which went screaming over your pointy little head, is that all you have is rote memorization which happens to be the lowest level of learning. Learning how to memorize is something even kids with severe mental handicaps usually can master.

That's sad and awful.
When did this weird paranoia about intelligence and education begin?

It really is okay to be intelligent and educated. Really.

I can't believe I just said that.

So in your estimation, being "intelligent and educated" means spewing back, literally, a bunch of random sounds and words for which you have no idea the meaning. And could not explain to anyone if your life depended on it.

That is no where near "learning"--it is mere rote memorization. Memorization has limited used when it is a building block for other knowledge, absolutely: IOW, multiplication tables. The Gettysburg Address in kindergarten is a performance trick.
I'll say it again:

It's not about what they are actually learning at that age. It's about teaching them how to learn.

It's about exercising their minds from different directions. Giving them lots of positive feedback. Constantly. Showing them they can do it.

That's the point. That's what this is all about. I would think that's huge.

If that's not good enough for you, then sorry.

Her point, which went screaming over your pointy little head, is that all you have is rote memorization which happens to be the lowest level of learning. Learning how to memorize is something even kids with severe mental handicaps usually can master.
And I made a contrary point.

Fortunately, I don't require your approval.

I didn't. You went drama queen. I'm a big fan of maintaining standards & expectations for all. You don't have to be.

Yes, you did. Lying about it now just further proves our point that you are clueless when it comes to education, but fear not! Most people outside education are complete morons on the topic.

Forum List

Back