🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Minority kids are stupid

What order do you assess blame? .....

I don't. I focus on improving things, not assessing blame. Only a dimwitted child focuses on blame instead of improving the situation.
So I was right.

If you were playin fuck,marry,kill you’d marry the teacher, fuck the kids and kill the parents right? Lol

Whatever the hell you’re talking about, keep it to yourself and stop trolling.

These kids are learning how to learn, in different ways, at a very early age. They're given constant positive feedback on their accomplishments all day. They're being provided foundational standards and expectations that might very well stick with them. They're scoring in the state's top 95%. Their chances of getting better grades throughout school are better. That would lead to a better chance of success into college and beyond. And they're destroying any bigoted myths about minority kids.

And I'm here trying to defend this. Holy crap. I'm done with that. If anyone here thinks there's something wrong here, too bad.

That’s amazing... kudos to your daughter for doing an excellent job grooming our youth!

Sadly, that is the appropriate word when five year olds are learning the Gettysburg address and memorizing state capitols. "Grooming", not learning. Just memorizing and spewing, that's all. They cannot process that information. They do not understand how long ago one year was, let alone the Civil War. They do not understand how far away the next town is, let alone the next state.

Mac this is no remark on what kind of teacher your daughter is. She is probably having to teach in the iron grip of that Charter school and so it is. She is probably a phenomenal teacher. But that curriculum is not good for learning and ESPECIALLY not 21st century learning. I know that sounds like "liberal code buzz" or whatever but it's true. We don't need people who can memorize stuff that is meaningless to them.

We need people who can make meaning out of what was meaningless before. THAT take genius creativity. You don't get that by teaching five year olds the Gettysburg address.
I'm a little relieved that I'm not the only one left who thinks these kids are being pushed beyond their cognitive maturity.

Not only that, but the time these children are taking memorizing the Gettysburg Address, OF ALL THINGS, is time taken away from real, actual learning appropriate for their age.

Which is really sad.
I sort of like the idea of getting kids familiar with beautifully written language like the Gettysburg Address--maybe not memorize it but hearing it anyway. I don't know if they'll always remember it, but I remember our little prayerlet we used to say at snack.....it seems a lot of the stuff you memorize at 5 sticks with you.

Back in my Dad's day, rote memorization was believed to be like mental push ups--the exercise itself of memorizing great honking poems or speeches was supposed to make your brain bigger or something. We no longer believe that, but memorizing stuff can come in handy. Dad could suddenly burst into Hamlet's Soliloquy or The Face on the Barroom Floor, word for word, with great expression, at the drop of a hat. It was fun for entertaining others, if nothing else.

These kids are learning how to learn, in different ways, at a very early age. They're given constant positive feedback on their accomplishments all day. They're being provided foundational standards and expectations that might very well stick with them. They're scoring in the state's top 95%. Their chances of getting better grades throughout school are better. That would lead to a better chance of success into college and beyond. And they're destroying any bigoted myths about minority kids.

And I'm here trying to defend this. Holy crap. I'm done with that. If anyone here thinks there's something wrong here, too bad.

Not everything is bad here Mac. The rigor is good, the expectations are good and the structure is probably good too. The curriculum sucks though. And from what you have said, they are not really learning to learn in different ways, are they? They're memorizing and working on fine motor skills that are far advanced beyond their years, which has to be incredibly frustrating for them. The thing about doing that is: you can labor at cursive for years and years and years-- or just wait until third grade and conquer the whole thing in four months. Since it's not really a viable skill in the 21st century, what are the kids getting out of all of that frustration that they would NOT get out of other endeavors that would a lot more appropriate and satisfying to them?

Oh right....see, performance tricks. Because Charter school, so we have to impress parents that don't know better. Until their kids hate the charter school. And they probably will. Really hate it.

Not everything is bad here Mac. The rigor is good, the expectations are good and the structure is probably good too. The curriculum sucks though. And from what you have said, they are not really learning to learn in different ways, are they? They're memorizing and working on fine motor skills that are far advanced beyond their years, which has to be incredibly frustrating for them. The thing about doing that is: you can labor at cursive for years and years and years-- or just wait until third grade and conquer the whole thing in four months. Since it's not really a viable skill in the 21st century, what are the kids getting out of all of that frustration that they would NOT get out of other endeavors that would a lot more appropriate and satisfying to them?

Oh right....see, performance tricks. Because Charter school, so we have to impress parents that don't know better. Until their kids hate the charter school. And they probably will. Really hate it.
The rigor is good, the expectations are good and the structure is probably good too. The curriculum sucks though.
Agreed.

That's what I've heard, anyway.

Just got back from a program in the kindergarten class my older daughter teaches at a Charter school. A class in which they know cursive, can read books, and can do third grade math by the time the year is over. In kindergarten.

Anyway, they recited all the states and the state capitols, both as a group and individually; they answered questions on American history and geography; they recited the first part of the Gettysburg Address. And they did one mean bunny hop a couple of times in between.

This class is about 80% black or brown.

This class isn't about your skin color or how much money your parents have. It's about maintaining standards and expectations, giving kids pride in their own achievements, and holding them accountable for their actions.

I'll bet we all know this. Some just refuse to admit it.

Key word: charter school.

They don't have to keep disruptive kids or those who do not perform. The parent(s) are engaged and supportive.

Why is this so hard for non-educators to understand?

Just got back from a program in the kindergarten class my older daughter teaches at a Charter school. A class in which they know cursive, can read books, and can do third grade math by the time the year is over. In kindergarten.

Anyway, they recited all the states and the state capitols, both as a group and individually; they answered questions on American history and geography; they recited the first part of the Gettysburg Address. And they did one mean bunny hop a couple of times in between.

This class isn't about your skin color or how much money your parents have. It's about maintaining standards and expectations, giving kids pride in their own achievements, and holding them accountable for their actions.

They don't have to keep disruptive kids or those who do not perform. The parent(s) are engaged and supportive.

Yes they do. This isn't an Academy. It's a Charter School, run under the rules of the state.

The teacher matters the most.

You cannot make chicken salad out of chicken shit, no matter how good the teacher is!

Yes they do. This isn't an Academy. It's a Charter School, run under the rules of the state.

Do your research and you will find there are Grand Canyons of differences. Your distinction is smoke and mirrors.

Do your research and you will find there are Grand Canyons of differences. Your distinction is smoke and mirrors.
Great, thanks.

I can tell you that my primary skills in kindergarten were farting and eating mud.
I was likewise most proficient in both of those activities!
We must strive to develop our best skills at the earliest possible age!

Never took a psychology of learning class, did you? That would prove that you are incorrect in many ways. Learning certain skills before a certain age is a waste of time and effort.

I'm sure your daughter is a great teacher. Kindergarteners usually do not have the fine motor skills to do cursive or even very good printing at age 5. It would take a lot of work prior to kindergarten to make them that advanced. Same with 3rd grade math. That has got to be cognitively above their functioning level. Maybe they can do it, but do they understand what they're doing?

I could be wrong, but some of what you're telling me sounds pretty unbelievable. And it certainly isn't because I don't believe students can learn.
I had sat in on her class before, so I was ready for it. Looking around the room, there were some parents whose minds were CLEARLY blown, though.

All true. Kids are sponges.

Some parents turn their kids into rocks long before teachers get them.

What kind of school?

Great, thanks.

You are welcome. I am glad I could enlighten you. Perhaps learning has taken place.

That’s amazing... kudos to your daughter for doing an excellent job grooming our youth!
Yes it is amazing finding a teacher actually teaching kids something they need instead of brainwashing them.

The only brainwashing that takes place is that people like you think that brainwashing is occurring in every school in the country and in every classroom.

Forum List

Back