Zone1 New poll shows Americans' confidence and belief in the Bible is at all-time low

Lots of Bible stories begin with the slaughter of innocents. Sort of weird.
Which makes sense. Even the terrified, primitive people that were alive then and inventing the myths had basic notions of morality.

They were faced with squaring a benevolent, all powerful God with all the horror in the world. Just as we are today.

"That God does not exist" not being an option, they went to work inventing myths to fit the square peg in the round hole.

Lots of Bible stories begin with the slaughter of innocents. Sort of weird.
The problem with reading those accounts as if the point of the account is that God is a meanie is that it is 100% at odds with how they described God. So, that can't be the point of those accounts. Which should make one want to investigate these accounts deeper.

Which makes sense. Even the terrified, primitive people that were alive then and inventing the myths had basic notions of morality.

They were faced with squaring a benevolent, all powerful God with all the horror in the world. Just as we are today.

"That God does not exist" not being an option, they went to work inventing myths to fit the square peg in the round hole.
No. It makes no sense whatsoever. It is 100% at odds with their stated perception of God. You are a hammer looking for a nail.

The problem with reading those accounts as if the point of the account is that God is a meanie is that it is 100% at odds with how they described God. So, that can't be the point of those accounts. Which should make one want to investigate these accounts deeper.

You mean like the firstborn of Egypt or Herod killing the two year olds.. Herod the Great was long dead. Probably didn't happen at all.

Seems like a poor reason for not believing intelligence created existence.
I dont necessarily doubt that. I just dont believe the god of the bible did it. For the reasons i just listed.
I read it for what it says. You say I need to look at it from someone elses perspective. I dont believe in doing that. I use that same belief on just about everything.
If im reading something but im supposed to read it another way, why didnt it just get written that way? Makes no sense.
Especially with something as important as the bible.

I dont necessarily doubt that. I just dont believe the god of the bible did it. For the reasons i just listed.
I read it for what it says. You say I need to look at it from someone elses perspective. I dont believe in doing that. I use that same belief on just about everything.
If im reading something but im supposed to read it another way, why didnt it just get written that way? Makes no sense.
Especially with something as important as the bible.
I didn't say to look at it from someone else's perspective. Look for the meaning of the passages (the message the author was intending to convey) within the context of the whole Bible and don't let yourself get distracted by embellishment and mythology within the passages.

I didn't say to look at it from someone else's perspective. Look for the meaning of the passages (the message the author was intending to convey) within the context of the whole Bible and don't let yourself get distracted by embellishment and mythology within the passages.
I understand that, man. The only message i get from the horror stories of the bible is, God is a homicidal maniac.

I understand that, man. The only message i get from the horror stories of the bible is, God is a homicidal maniac.
Then you are reading it wrong. Do you really believe it's just an accident that the universe popped into existence being hardwired to produce intelligence? Serious question.

Then you are reading it wrong. Do you really believe it's just an accident that the universe popped into existence being hardwired to produce intelligence? Serious question.
Its possible. I dont discount much of anything. Hek man, I dont even discount the astronaut theory for our origins. In fact, I think thats my favorite one lol

Its possible. I dont discount much of anything. Hek man, I dont even discount the astronaut theory for our origins. In fact, I think thats my favorite one lol
What's possible? It's just a happy coincidence? Or it was an intentional creative act?

WM = "so god killed the babies"
TN = Thank you so i was right when i said god killed the babies"
WM = god didnt kill the babies. He killed the babies of sinners"
This is about hwo this convo is going. Because you are such a nutter, you will say ANYTHING.
And so do mothers, soldiers, doctors, etc etc. All legally.
You only have a problem with God and don’t like the penalty for adultery.
Your choice, you can work it out with him

I don't see how it can't be one of these two mutually exclusive options. Either the universe was created intentionally or it's just a coincidence the universe popped into existence being hardwired to produce intelligence.
I wont argue with that

Forum List

Back