No historical Jesus

So you are, in part, basing your opinion on how good looking Ecce Homo was?

Perhaps you can provide us with a restoration.
There are many instances in TJS where a person's beauty is specified.
This is an important facet of a person when they choose a life of dedication to God as opposed to a life of narcisism.
" TJS" ? also what is your expertise in Religious studies?
The Jewish Scriptures.
My expertise in Judaism & TNT...Pretty heavy.
I can read Hebrew and Aramaic.
The Talmud is in Aramaic.
I spend about 30 hours a week reading, attending classes and listening to downloads.
Been studying since 1980.
Spent 1998-2003 studying TNT reading entire Cannon 5 times verse by verse.
That is very nice , I have taken many courses at the undergraduate and graduate level in religion to the point where it was a minor and have spent my entire adult life studying at various seminaries. I have studied this question and in the end Jesus did walk the earth. That is supported by primary sources such as the bible.

At thus juncture I will take a step back and present Harold W. Attridge:The Lillian Claus Professor of New Testament Yale Divinity School, who states:

"Speaking as a historian, why is it such a problem to know anything about the life of Jesus, and what are the sources you can draw on?

The problem in understanding Jesus as a historian begins with the fact that we have rather limited sources for reconstructing his life. Those sources are primarily the gospel traditions that we have in the New Testament, some apocryphal materials from the early Christian tradition, and some sources external to the New Testament. Those sources external to the New Testament are particularly valuable because they're not directly statements of faith, the way the New Testament materials are. Chief among those external sources is Josephus, a Jewish historian who wrote at the end of the first century and who in book 18 of his "Antiquities of the Jews," has a small passage about Jesus. He also reports about John the Baptist, and about James, the brother of Jesus. And those passages constitute the first external testimonies to the existence of Jesus by someone who was not a follower."

Jesus Many Faces - What Can We Really About Jesus | From Jesus To Christ | FRONTLINE | PBS

What you have is a Jewish Historian who clearly stated Jesus did walk the earth in addition to his brother et al. As of yet, you have not presented any evidence to the contrary.
jesus-leading-flock-of-sheep-smiley-emoticon.gif
Actually, what we have is Josephus and the Talmud telling various stories about people named Yeshua who could not possibly have been one person as the Tanai'm involved lived at different points in time.
Every scholar will come to his own and his boss's opinion.

Plus the Josephus "evidence" has been debunked time and again.
Shame on any Academian who utilizes it.
Josephus' Account of Jesus: The Testimonium Flavianum

You are going to have to source that much better and provide something more than an errant web site.

This is an important facet of a person when they choose a life of dedication to God as opposed to a life of narcisism.
The Jewish Scriptures.
I spend about 30 hours a week reading, attending classes and listening to downloads.
That is very nice , I have taken many courses at the undergraduate and graduate level in religion to the point where it was a minor and have spent my entire adult life studying at various seminaries. I have studied this question and in the end Jesus did walk the earth. That is supported by primary sources such as the bible.

At thus juncture I will take a step back and present Harold W. Attridge:The Lillian Claus Professor of New Testament Yale Divinity School, who states:

"Speaking as a historian, why is it such a problem to know anything about the life of Jesus, and what are the sources you can draw on?

The problem in understanding Jesus as a historian begins with the fact that we have rather limited sources for reconstructing his life. Those sources are primarily the gospel traditions that we have in the New Testament, some apocryphal materials from the early Christian tradition, and some sources external to the New Testament. Those sources external to the New Testament are particularly valuable because they're not directly statements of faith, the way the New Testament materials are. Chief among those external sources is Josephus, a Jewish historian who wrote at the end of the first century and who in book 18 of his "Antiquities of the Jews," has a small passage about Jesus. He also reports about John the Baptist, and about James, the brother of Jesus. And those passages constitute the first external testimonies to the existence of Jesus by someone who was not a follower."

Jesus Many Faces - What Can We Really About Jesus | From Jesus To Christ | FRONTLINE | PBS

What you have is a Jewish Historian who clearly stated Jesus did walk the earth in addition to his brother et al. As of yet, you have not presented any evidence to the contrary.
Actually, what we have is Josephus and the Talmud telling various stories about people named Yeshua who could not possibly have been one person as the Tanai'm involved lived at different points in time.

You are going to have to source that much better and provide something more than an errant web site.
Actually, the onus is on you.
You didn't even link to the chapter.

The Jewish Scriptures.

Cut the bullshit I sourced my position and those "qualified professionals" who rely upon that source

Last edited:
The Jewish Scriptures.

Cut the bullshit I sourced my position and those who "qualified professionals" who rely upon that source
You DO realize that Josephus was BORN at least 5 years after Yeshua DIED.
And Josephus was so impressed by the legends he...remained a Jew!
You'll have to do better.
As has been observed by many Orthodox Jews, the closer in time and place one gets to Yeshuah, the less evidence there is that "Jesus" existed.

This is a vanity website offered by a man who wishes to have his causes furthered.:dunno::bsflag:
I see you've never encountered an objective Jew prior to this discussion.
You are not objective, egotistical, but not objective nor qualified to give anything but an unfounded opinion.
Wash, rinse, repeat.
Nothing you have posted indicates any knowledge of TNT.
You post like a parrot.
And you haven't addresses my last posting utilizing your own knowledge or research.
I don't care if you BELIEVE in Jesus; that could be a beautiful thing.
There's simply ZERO historical proof.

Cut the bullshit I sourced my position and those who "qualified professionals" who rely upon that source
You DO realize that Josephus was BORN at least 5 years after Yeshua DIED.
And Josephus was so impressed by the legends he...remained a Jew!
You'll have to do better.
As has been observed by many Orthodox Jews, the closer in time and place one gets to Yeshuah, the less evidence there is that "Jesus" existed.
Me do better no. Josephus is highly regarded and relied upon by "qualified" historians and educators. For example, L. Michael White: Professor of Classics and Director of the Religious Studies Program University of Texas at Austin who states: "One of our most important sources for all the history of this period is the Jewish historian, Josephus." and Eric Meyers: Professor of Religion and Archaeology Duke University who states: "Josephus is our primary source for reconstructing history in the late second temple period and in the time of Jesus and the first century. Josephus is our Bible, he is our map. He is the guy we all turn to."

A Portrait Of Jesus' World - Josephus, Our Primary Source | From Jesus To Christ - The First Christians | FRONTLINE | PBS

I spent 5 years studying these blowhards and their "evidence".
I give them the same credence I give to those who try to pass off Reform and Conservative Judaism...No credence.
I know full well, for example, that you give ZERO credence to Liberal Academians.

Then you are making my point... your mind is made up and you are challenging me to change it... I can't. You win, I guess? :dunno:

The historical evidence that Jesus existed is out there, people have written about it and documented it and I've pointed you to their works but you don't want to hear what they have to say. So you've made up your mind to believe what you want to believe and nothing can change your mind. It is closed to information that contradicts your view.

Now you are free to run around saying you don't believe the evidence that Jesus existed... that's entirely your right. But you cannot argue that there's no evidence Jesus existed. You don't acknowledge the evidence but it's still there.
Au contrar...I studied TNT looking for what over a billiion other people had faith in.
There are zero dots connecting TJS to TNT.
I was left disappointed.

I don't know what TJS and TNT are in context of our argument on whether Jesus existed.

As I posted, most scholars believe Jesus existed and the evidence is overwhelming. You are in the minority... IF you are a scholar, which I doubt.
TNT = The New Testament
TJS = The Jewish Scriptures
Show me the evidence as the scholars haven't.
I find it fascinating how you pick and choose, based on agenda, the veracity of scholars.
I need demonstrable FACTS.

This is silly, we've already determined your mind is made up and you refuse to accept evidence from scholars on the subject. I can't make you change your mind, so what do you want me to show you? You're acting like a 2-year-old who needs a nap.

I didn't pick and choose any damn thing.. I cited my source, it was from the Jesus wiki page, it took me about 2 minutes to go there and find that most scholars consider this 'theory' to be bunk. I just copied and pasted the footnotes, including one scholar who does actually believe Jesus never existed but admits his perspective runs against the views of the majority of scholars.

I have no agenda... I don't profess your theory is wrong. It could be right. I'm not convinced but if you are, more power to ya! I'm not here to change your mind or dispute your theory, or support the Christian viewpoint or defend their religion. I just interjected the evidence of scholars who think you're a loon. Screws are loose... spent too much time with your head in the microwave... something.

So your theory is laughed at by the experts, you've really presented nothing to prove your case, and you've not even managed to convince me and I'm not even a Christian. Suddenly, you seem to think... in the middle of your argument... that I am supposed to change your mind and present evidence that you're wrong. You've gotten things turned around in your little head about how these things work... it's up to you to change MY mind, to present ME evidence... not the other way around.

This is a vanity website offered by a man who wishes to have his causes furthered.:dunno::bsflag:
You are not objective, egotistical, but not objective nor qualified to give anything but an unfounded opinion.
Wash, rinse, repeat.
You post like a parrot.
And you haven't addresses my last posting utilizing your own knowledge or research.
Here we go with wash rinse repeat and TNT

I have an opinion and then I post back up for that opinion. TNT is not the OP that what you want push forward.

I spent 5 years studying these blowhards and their "evidence".
I give them the same credence I give to those who try to pass off Reform and Conservative Judaism...No credence.
I know full well, for example, that you give ZERO credence to Liberal Academians.

Then you are making my point... your mind is made up and you are challenging me to change it... I can't. You win, I guess? :dunno:

The historical evidence that Jesus existed is out there, people have written about it and documented it and I've pointed you to their works but you don't want to hear what they have to say. So you've made up your mind to believe what you want to believe and nothing can change your mind. It is closed to information that contradicts your view.

Now you are free to run around saying you don't believe the evidence that Jesus existed... that's entirely your right. But you cannot argue that there's no evidence Jesus existed. You don't acknowledge the evidence but it's still there.
Au contrar...I studied TNT looking for what over a billiion other people had faith in.
I was left disappointed.

I don't know what TJS and TNT are in context of our argument on whether Jesus existed.

As I posted, most scholars believe Jesus existed and the evidence is overwhelming. You are in the minority... IF you are a scholar, which I doubt.
TNT = The New Testament
I find it fascinating how you pick and choose, based on agenda, the veracity of scholars.

This is silly, we've already determined your mind is made up and you refuse to accept evidence from scholars on the subject. I can't make you change your mind, so what do you want me to show you? You're acting like a 2-year-old who needs a nap.

I didn't pick and choose any damn thing.. I cited my source, it was from the Jesus wiki page, it took me about 2 minutes to go there and find that most scholars consider this 'theory' to be bunk. I just copied and pasted the footnotes, including one scholar who does actually believe Jesus never existed but admits his perspective runs against the views of the majority of scholars.

I have no agenda... I don't profess your theory is wrong. It could be right. I'm not convinced but if you are, more power to ya! I'm not here to change your mind or dispute your theory, or support the Christian viewpoint or defend their religion. I just interjected the evidence of scholars who think you're a loon. Screws are loose... spent too much time with your head in the microwave... something.

So your theory is laughed at by the experts, you've really presented nothing to prove your case, and you've not even managed to convince me and I'm not even a Christian. Suddenly, you seem to think... in the middle of your argument... that I am supposed to change your mind and present evidence that you're wrong. You've gotten things turned around in your little head about how these things work... it's up to you to change MY mind, to present ME evidence... not the other way around.
You could have posted that in perhaps 2-3 sentences.
In a court of law there is ZERO admissible evidence for Jesus.

Wash, rinse, repeat.
You post like a parrot.

I have an opinion and then I post back up for that opinion. TNT is not the OP that what you want push forward.

So here's where you glide from evidence and logic to ad hominems.
Present evidence admissable in court.
Pretend it's a Civil Suit.
You have no evidence.

Wash, rinse, repeat.
You post like a parrot.

So here's where you glide from evidence and logic to ad hominems.
Present evidence admissable in court.
Pretend it's a Civil Suit.
You have no evidence.
We are not in court and you have not established your position by any stretch of imagination.

I was left disappointed.

TNT = The New Testament

This is not a court room.

I was left disappointed.

TNT = The New Testament

This is not a court room.
Really!?
Someone with a Doctorate said something and has NO threshhold of evidence to maintain?
That's darn sad.

The Gospels are the sole source of information about a historical Jesus. Everything that we know about Jesus and Christianity depends on that source. Confucius 6th century BC Chinese sage and founder of Confucianism from the Analects “love thy neighbor as thyself. Do nothing to thy neighbor, which thou wouldst not have him do to thee hereafter”. These verses were not original to the gospels. Nobody knows when they were written or who wrote them. The Bible-based religions we now have (Catholic or Protestant) are nothing like the Hebrew religion of the church established at Jerusalem. The practices of this first Jewish church are not practiced by any major religion and they are almost unknown. In its place are doctrines of Christianity, which was begun by Constantine. In Matthew and Mark the Romans crucify Jesus, but in Luke and John it is the Jews who crucify him.

Numbers 23:19 states that God is not a man. God was not born, and God certainly did not die.

The Dead Sea Scrolls were being written in 150 BCE and continued until 70 CE, a period of 220 years. During those years 872 scrolls were written in Hebrew and Aramaic by the peoples of Qumran. The supposed life of Jesus was between 2 BCE and 36 CE (38 years) and the Great Temple of the Jews in Jerusalem was destroyed by the Romans in 70 CE. These dates are important for understanding the importance of what the Dead Sea Scrolls revealed. After scholars completed the translation work on the Dead Sea Scrolls a very important fact was obvious.

Nowhere in the Dead Sea Scrolls was the name of Jesus mentioned, and Christianity had no support in the translations. The Dead Sea Scrolls challenged the two most fundamental beliefs of Christianity: the uniqueness of Jesus Christ and Christianity as the embodiment of the message of Christ. The scrolls make no mention of Jesus or that the ‘Jesus message’ originated with him.
God is Imaginary - 50 simple proofs

The Gospels are the sole source of information about a historical Jesus. Everything that we know about Jesus and Christianity depends on that source. Confucius 6th century BC Chinese sage and founder of Confucianism from the Analects “love thy neighbor as thyself. Do nothing to thy neighbor, which thou wouldst not have him do to thee hereafter”. These verses were not original to the gospels. Nobody knows when they were written or who wrote them. The Bible-based religions we now have (Catholic or Protestant) are nothing like the Hebrew religion of the church established at Jerusalem. The practices of this first Jewish church are not practiced by any major religion and they are almost unknown. In its place are doctrines of Christianity, which was begun by Constantine. In Matthew and Mark the Romans crucify Jesus, but in Luke and John it is the Jews who crucify him.

Numbers 23:19 states that God is not a man. God was not born, and God certainly did not die.

The Dead Sea Scrolls were being written in 150 BCE and continued until 70 CE, a period of 220 years. During those years 872 scrolls were written in Hebrew and Aramaic by the peoples of Qumran. The supposed life of Jesus was between 2 BCE and 36 CE (38 years) and the Great Temple of the Jews in Jerusalem was destroyed by the Romans in 70 CE. These dates are important for understanding the importance of what the Dead Sea Scrolls revealed. After scholars completed the translation work on the Dead Sea Scrolls a very important fact was obvious.

Nowhere in the Dead Sea Scrolls was the name of Jesus mentioned, and Christianity had no support in the translations. The Dead Sea Scrolls challenged the two most fundamental beliefs of Christianity: the uniqueness of Jesus Christ and Christianity as the embodiment of the message of Christ. The scrolls make no mention of Jesus or that the ‘Jesus message’ originated with him.
God is Imaginary - 50 simple proofs
Do you watch movie scenes out of sequence?

So you are, in part, basing your opinion on how good looking Ecce Homo was?

Perhaps you can provide us with a restoration.
The Jewish Scriptures.

Did you miss this part? This is from your link...

"For the first time, it has become possible to prove that the Jesus account cannot have been a complete forgery and even to identify which parts were written by Josephus and which were added by a later interpolator.

Read about this discovery here!

Forum List

Back