NYC raises cigarette sales age to 21

Males do not fully mature mentally until 29 years old. 18 year old males are considered adults so they can be used in military service. At a young age humans kill more readily that an older male.

So basically males should be considered children until they are 29?

How far will you go to justify nanny state bullshit?

At least they won't be polluting their bodies.

Are you really this stupid?

Are you really that stupid? Explain how safe sex destroys the human body.
Explain how having an abortion destroys the human body.
Explain how a life time addiction to cigarettes does not destory the human body.

Having sex and getting abortions is a MORAL issue, not health risk, as long as the abortion is a safe medical procedure conducted by licensed physician. Teenagers having sex is a MORAL issue as long as they are engaging in safe sex.

Cigarettes are addictive and they damage the human body to a massive extent, not just the lungs. Most people who smoke do it all of their adult lives or for many years, damaging their bodies in ways than cannot be reversed, often shortening their life spans. Sex and abortions do neither of those things.

Then convince people to stop. Don't use a law that is nothing more than nanny state feel good bullshit. People underage will continue to smoke, now you just have the cover of "Well we BANNED it, its not OUR FAULT they keep breaking the law." Typical progressive crap where as long as it looks like you are doing something and CARING, the end results don't matter.

Explain how a life time addiction to cigarettes does not destory the human body.

Having sex and getting abortions is a MORAL issue, not health risk, as long as the abortion is a safe medical procedure conducted by licensed physician. Teenagers having sex is a MORAL issue as long as they are engaging in safe sex.

Cigarettes are addictive and they damage the human body to a massive extent, not just the lungs. Most people who smoke do it all of their adult lives or for many years, damaging their bodies in ways than cannot be reversed, often shortening their life spans. Sex and abortions do neither of those things.

Then convince people to stop. Don't use a law that is nothing more than nanny state feel good bullshit. People underage will continue to smoke, now you just have the cover of "Well we BANNED it, its not OUR FAULT they keep breaking the law." Typical progressive crap where as long as it looks like you are doing something and CARING, the end results don't matter.

I realize it will not stop kids from smoking, but it sends a strong message, which will have some effect. People break laws all the time--seat belt laws, using your cell phone while driving, driving while under the influence. But many people stop or limit such behavior because it is illegal. And it sends a message to them and to all people that such behavior is unsafe. Underage drinking is another example. It doesn't keep all teens from drinking, but it sends a message and it limits the behavior.

I realize it will not stop kids from smoking, but it sends a strong message, which will have some effect. People break laws all the time--seat belt laws, using your cell phone while driving, driving while under the influence. But many people stop or limit such behavior because it is illegal. And it sends a message to them and to all people that such behavior is unsafe. Underage drinking is another example. It doesn't keep all teens from drinking, but it sends a message and it limits the behavior.

All this does is teach disrespect for the law. Laws should be clear cut, and only enacted for serious situations, not to try to teach people how to live thier lives. And trust me, the 21 year old drinking law does NOTHING to curb underage drinking from my viewpoint. I did 21 shots on my 21st birthday, and the only way i survived that was LOTS of practice from 18 to 21.

Laws are not about messages. Use an ad campaign for that and stop messing with my schwerve.

Are you really that stupid?

Explain how safe sex destroys the human body.

Getting an abortion is a moral issue, not a health risk, as long as the abortion is a safe medical procedure conducted by a licensed physician.

Teenagers having sex is a MORAL issue as long as they are engaging in safe sex.

Cigarettes are addictive, and they damage the human body to a massive extent, not just the lungs. Most people who smoke do it all of their adult lives or for many years, damaging their bodies in ways that cannot be reversed, often shortening their life spans. Sex and abortions do neither of those things.

Well, technically abortions do pose a health risk to some of the entities involved, as it completely destroys/terminates the living fetus that is forming inside the female.

You can't forget about that, lol.

Last edited:
You can join the Military and fight and die for your Country but you can't buy a pack of cigarettes in NY.

What a weird comparison.

Why would anyone think that one compares to the other?

The point sailed right over your head didn't it?

If one is an adult at 18 and can enter into legal contracts, fight kill and die for country then why the hell can't he smoke?

Either make the age of majority 21 or not.

Are you really that stupid?

Explain how safe sex destroys the human body.

Getting an abortion is a moral issue, not a health risk, as long as the abortion is a safe medical procedure conducted by a licensed physician.

Teenagers having sex is a MORAL issue as long as they are engaging in safe sex.

Cigarettes are addictive, and they damage the human body to a massive extent, not just the lungs. Most people who smoke do it all of their adult lives or for many years, damaging their bodies in ways that cannot be reversed, often shortening their life spans. Sex and abortions do neither of those things.

You are missing the point. This law bans people under 21 from buying tobacco, so the obvious intent behind it is that people under 21 do not have the experience to realize tobacco is bad, and thus should not use it until they are "mature" enough.

Interestingly, alot of the same people who support this somehow think a 14 year old girl is perfectly capable of making an informed decsion on terminating a pregancy, all on her own, without anyone's interference.

Something does not compute here.

All this does is teach disrespect for the law. Laws should be clear cut, and only enacted for serious situations, not to try to teach people how to live thier lives. And trust me, the 21 year old drinking law does NOTHING to curb underage drinking from my viewpoint. I did 21 shots on my 21st birthday, and the only way i survived that was LOTS of practice from 18 to 21.

Laws are not about messages. Use an ad campaign for that and stop messing with my schwerve.

Smoking is not just a personal lifestyle choice. It is linked to all kinds of health care issues that raise the cost of health care FOR EVERYONE. Isn't that one of the big bitches in American, the cost of health care.

Smoking is linked to or causes:

•Asthma
•Buerger's Disease
•Cancer
•Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
•Diabetes
•Heart Disease and Stroke

-Trying to prevent kids from starting smoking is not a moral issue, it is a health issue. Teens are the largest group of people who begin smoking, starting a life time addiction to it and developing serious health issues.

People who smoke raise EVERYONE'S health care costs because of their health related problems.

And just because you were an idiot about drinking doesn't mean everyone is. A 21 year old age limit on drinking didn't stop me entirely from drinking, but it definitely limited it, especially not being able to go to bars and clubs where there was drinking. And, at 21, I didn't do something so stupid as to down 21 shots of anything. That's a matter of stupidity having nothing to do with laws against drinking until you are 21. No one can make laws against stupidity.

Last edited:
You can join the Military and fight and die for your Country but you can't buy a pack of cigarettes in NY.

What a weird comparison.

Why would anyone think that one compares to the other?

The point sailed right over your head didn't it?

If one is an adult at 18 and can enter into legal contracts, fight kill and die for country then why the hell can't he smoke?

Either make the age of majority 21 or not.

Agree w/you Spidey, as it's a double standard. If a person is old enough to be given a gun and trusted to make the right decisions abroad in war (life/death decisions involving innocent civilians, etc), he/she should probably should be considered old enough to make a decision on whether or not to smoke, lol. Let's be consistent here.

If anything, the age restrictions should be flipped (military 21 and smoking 18). Never should they be the other way around.

Smoking is not just a personal lifestyle choice. It is linked to all kinds of health care issues that raise the cost of health care FOR EVERYONE. Isn't that one of the big bitches in American, the cost of health care.

•Asthma
•Buerger's Disease
•Cancer
•Diabetes

-Trying to prevent kids from starting smoking is not a moral issue, it is a health issue. Teens are the largest group of people who begin smoking, starting a life time addiction to it and developing serious health issues.

People who smoke raise EVERYONE'S health care costs because of their health related problems.

At 18 one is legally an adult and no longer a "kid"

•Asthma
•Buerger's Disease
•Cancer
•Diabetes

So you dont do it, make sure you kids don't do it, preach to the choir that its bad, but dont legislate it unless you want to ban it for EVERYONE, or at least be consistent with the age of majority.

People who ski, do extreme sports, and play organized sports also raise the cost of healthcare for everyone, do you want to ban those things as well?

•Asthma
•Buerger's Disease
•Cancer
•Diabetes

Actually Esmerelda you're completely incorrect. Smokers generally die younger than non smokers and actually end up costing less per lifetime with regards to medical costs (look it up!). It's the people who live well into their nineties (given their extra 20+ years of life) who end up costing the system the most...

Last edited:

•Asthma
•Buerger's Disease
•Cancer
•Diabetes

Actually Esmerelda you're completely incorrect. Smokers generally die young and actually end up costing less per lifetime with regards to medical costs (look it up!). It's the people who live well into their nineties who end up costing the system the most...

First, you are making a knowledge claim, so YOU LOOK IT UP AND PRESENT THE EVIDENCE TO PROVE IT. It isn't up to me to research and verify your knowledge claim, it is up to your or provide evidence for it.

Second, you are most likely refering to lung cancer only, not all the other diseases related to smoking.

It might be part of the new social construct of extending adolescence to age 25. People are being infantilized upwards. That's why obamacare provides parents keeping adult children on their insurance policies to age 26. Because children are children until nearly 30.

The new directive is designed to extend the age range that child psychologists can work with from 18 years old up to 25.
It is hoped the initiative will stop children being 'rushed' through their childhood and feeling pressured to achieve key milestones quickly,

Read more: An adult at 18? Not any more: Adolescence now ends at 25 to prevent young people getting an inferiority complex | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

First, you are making a knowledge claim, so YOU LOOK IT UP AND PRESENT THE EVIDENCE TO PROVE IT. It isn't up to me to research and verify your knowledge claim, it is up to your or provide evidence for it.

Second, you are most likely refering to lung cancer only, not all the other diseases related to smoking.

No problem, check this out:
Smokers Cost Less in Long Run

The medical journal concludes that although smokers do cost more in the short term (because they are more disease prone), non smokers live longer and and up incurring more costs overall, mostly during the final years/advanced stages of life.

I don't believe they are studying lung cancer only; I think they are covering all diseases and costs.

Last edited:
BBC News - New York to raise cigarette sale age

Same liberals who think 13 year olds are mature enough to have sex and get abortions

you libs are a "clown funny" lot. :lmao: the youngsters will still get their smokes just like we did back in the 50's..., take a few from Dad's pack or we just went to a mechanical vending machine, drop in a quarter and pull a lever, out drops a pack of cigarettes with a nickel and two pennies inside the cellophane...., anyone here remember those "good old days" ??

Forum List

Back