Obama: religious schools block lasting peace in Northern Ireland

Perhaps Obama's comments have something to do with the fact Catholics and Protestants have been killing each other in Northern Ireland for hundreds of years...

Have they done so recently?

Yes. The Good Friday Agreement was only 15 years ago, and many splinter groups of the PIRA are still active to this day.

I bet you are one of those people who believes that Al Qaeda doesn't represent all Muslims...and yet you attribute the actions of the IRA to Catholics in general.

Nice.

Have they done so recently?

Yes. The Good Friday Agreement was only 15 years ago, and many splinter groups of the PIRA are still active to this day.

I bet you are one of those people who believes that Al Qaeda doesn't represent all Muslims...and yet you attribute the actions of the IRA to Catholics in general.

Nice.

I'm not attributing the actions of the IRA to Catholics in general. Where did you get that from?

Nice.

I'm not attributing the actions of the IRA to Catholics in general. Where did you get that from?

You are pathetic. You cite an IRA attack as evidence of violence between Catholics and Protestants in order to justify Obama's trashing of Catholic education. And then you play the innocent "who me" game.

Bad form, bub.

Nice.

You are pathetic. You cite an IRA attack as evidence of violence between Catholics and Protestants in order to justify Obama's trashing of Catholic education. And then you play the innocent "who me" game.

Bad form, bub.

Are you trying to deny that there has been an ongoing violent conflict between Catholics and Protestants in Northern Ireland for the last 400 years?

You're taking Obama's comments entirely out of context (giving a speech in Belfast), and attempting to twist it into an "attack" on religion. It's not.

Stating that there's a long history of violence between Catholics and Protestants in Northern Ireland is in no way trying to pin that violence on all Catholics (or for that matter, all Protestants).

Bad form, bub.

Are you trying to deny that there has been an ongoing violent conflict between Catholics and Protestants in Northern Ireland for the last 400 years?

You're taking Obama's comments entirely out of context (giving a speech in Belfast), and attempting to twist it into an "attack" on religion. It's not.

Thank you confirming my theory regarding your hypocrisy.

Bad form, bub.

What hypocrisy?

What hypocrisy?

I think that's the new RW talking point....but they run when asked to back it up. At least that's been my experience the last day or two.

Bad form, bub.

what about muslims and everyone else for the last few thousand

What hypocrisy?

Her own.
What you noted was perfectly clear -- it takes an outside stretch to append the statement to all Catholics, and that's dishonest.

Perhaps Obama's comments have something to do with the fact Catholics and Protestants have been killing each other in Northern Ireland for hundreds of years...

They haven't been killing each other for hundreds of years. They have been killing each other since 1922. But not because of religion. Because the Catholics for reasons having nothing to do with religious belief, supported the British and the protestants for reasons having nothing to do with religious belief wanted independence.

In 2005 hostilities ended when the IRA said it would pursue a united and independent Ireland through peaceful means. United Ireland, one free of British rule, that was the basis of the Irish fighting, not religion.

They haven't been killing each other for hundreds of years. They have been killing each other since 1922. But not because of religion. Because the Catholics for reasons having nothing to do with religious belief, supported the British and the protestants for reasons having nothing to do with religious belief wanted independence.

In 2005 hostilities ended when the IRA said it would pursue a united and independent Ireland through peaceful means. United Ireland, one free of British rule, that was the basis of the Irish fighting, not religion.

1922 was the year of official "independence" but the roots go back to the 17th century. (Cromwell? Irish Rebellion?) -- the English doing what they do best... kicking people out of their homeland (see le Grand Dérangement)-- Cromwell was selling off Irish slaves to the Caribbean, four and a half centuries ago.

However your point of the intertwining of politics and religion is accurate...
>> Cromwell's hostility to the Irish was religious as well as political. He was passionately opposed to the Catholic Church, which he saw as denying the primacy of the Bible in favour of papal and clerical authority, and which he blamed for suspected tyranny and persecution of Protestants in Europe.[40] Cromwell's association of Catholicism with persecution was deepened with the Irish Rebellion of 1641. << (Wiki)

-- politics and (organized) religion are two sides of the same coin that scratch each other's backs, to mix a metaphor. That's why it's so bizarre that some posters in other threads want to strip out "Islam" as if terrorism is an all-religion thing that exists in some political vacuum.

So yes, it is deeper than whether someone in Ulster is Catholic or Protestant. It has to do with what each one represents historically. And that history goes back a long way before 1922. If it didn't, there wouldn't be a 1922.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back