Question for Christians

Ok this is a two part question but it essentially deals with the same issue. Anyways here it is.

Part One: If in the next two to three decades we discover life on planets like Mars and Europa (simple life, such as single celled organisms living in the water close to the core of said planet(s) Would that shake your faith in the Bible and cause you to either change your perception of God to one that is outside the perception found in Christianity or even drop your religion and belief in the supernatural entirely? Or would your faith remain completely unaltered?

Part Two: Same question only applied to the discovery of complex or intelligent life to include contact with a sentient species with a society and intelligence rivaling our own.

My faith wouldn't be shaken under either circumstance. There's no reason why it should be. Just because the Bible focuses on God's relationship with His earthly creation (and most specifically mankind) doesn't mean that Christians MUST believe that there isn't some form other life elsewhere. I don't personally believe that there is but my faith in Jesus Christ wouldn't be shaken if I was proven wrong.

See!

the Bible teaches implicitly that the only things He created with intelligence are the angels, man, and the animals.

It is important to remember that the stars and planets were not created billions of years before Earth. According to the Bible, Earth is not the result of billions of years of stellar evolution during which many other planets were created. WRONG. Earth was created before any other planet or star existed. WRONG! Earth came into existence on the first day of Creation (Genesis 1:1). WRONG! God withheld the creation of the Sun, Moon and stars until the fourth day (Genesis 1:14-19). WRONG!

So of course life on other planets won't change your mind. Your belief in fairy tales is so far out there I doubt any facts would wake you up.

But the angels reside in Heaven which, at this time, is not on earth.

I've heard certain Athiests (not all of them) before tell me that Heaven couldn't be real because humans don't see it in the clouds or in the sky. And they thought the idea that Heaven could be in space or another dimension was absurd.

I've heard certain Athiests (not all of them) before tell me that Heaven couldn't be real because humans don't see it in the clouds or in the sky. And they thought the idea that Heaven could be in space or another dimension was absurd.

Just like not all theists are idiots, not all atheists are brilliant. But at least they don't believe a fairy tale when they hear one. I'll give them that.

Even we realize that "heaven", if one exists, is in a realm far far away. So do they expect that they would be able to look up and see their dead relatives in those clouds?

I'm going to go out on a limb and call bullshit. Only a theist would say or think something so dumb. Atheists are too logical to think something so stupid. Can you find one of them on USMB? Did they post this to you or did an atheist say this to you in person? I'm calling you out. I'm calling you a liar. :eusa_liar:

My faith wouldn't be shaken under either circumstance. There's no reason why it should be. Just because the Bible focuses on God's relationship with His earthly creation (and most specifically mankind) doesn't mean that Christians MUST believe that there isn't some form other life elsewhere. I don't personally believe that there is but my faith in Jesus Christ wouldn't be shaken if I was proven wrong.

See!

the Bible teaches implicitly that the only things He created with intelligence are the angels, man, and the animals.

It is important to remember that the stars and planets were not created billions of years before Earth. According to the Bible, Earth is not the result of billions of years of stellar evolution during which many other planets were created. WRONG. Earth was created before any other planet or star existed. WRONG! Earth came into existence on the first day of Creation (Genesis 1:1). WRONG! God withheld the creation of the Sun, Moon and stars until the fourth day (Genesis 1:14-19). WRONG!

So of course life on other planets won't change your mind. Your belief in fairy tales is so far out there I doubt any facts would wake you up.

We're talking about life on other planets, not the heavens stupid.

Fact. The Bible teaches implicitly that we are alone.

According to the Bible, Earth is not the result of billions of years of stellar evolution during which many other planets were also created. No, the bible says earth was created before any other planet or star existed. Earth came into existence on the first day of Creation and God withheld the creation of the Sun, Moon and stars until the fourth day.

Forget the fact that the bible is factually wrong. The men who wrote it didn't know science. They were just making it up or it was a story their forefathers told them and they were just passing on legend. They truly believed we were alone in the universe and special.

So if we found life elsewhere it SHOULD be a big blow to religion but it won't because they are a slippery bunch. Greatest bullshit story ever told.

Religion has been proven wrong a million times. It hasn't stopped them before and it won't when we find them wrong yet again. Hell look they are already trying to wiggle out of it just in case we do find life somewhere else. For the longest time they stayed firm and said we were alone. Today, with the more science we know, they are afraid we are going to find life somewhere else and they don't want that to blow their scam so they are already backing down on this just in case. :badgrin:

What about wormholes or teleportation?

That'd be so cool if we figured that stuff out one day. I want to see that movie where the woman uses more of her brain than was ever capable before and she can control people and things with her mind. That'd be cool if one day we could do that. Even if not with our minds with some technology someone invents.

People need to recognize that the church accepts scientific principles. After all, in 1822, the Catholic church accepted that Galileo's 1632 teachings that the earth circles the sun to be valid....

People need to recognize that the church accepts scientific principles. After all, in 1822, the Catholic church accepted that Galileo's 1632 teachings that the earth circles the sun to be valid....

I don't know any Christians who deny hard, factual, scientific evidence. Most of us don't pay much attention to the speculative kind of "science" because it's not true science. Science means knowledge and until something is truly known, it really isn't scientific fact.

So kind of them.

Dropping to his knees before the 10 cardinals of the Inquisition, dressed in the white shirt of penitence, Galileo Galilei was forced to retract his "heretic" theory that the Earth moved around the Sun. Threatened with torture and interrogated for 18 days, the scientist, who was imprisoned in the 17th century, promised to never again teach the theory and spent the rest of his life under house arrest in his small farmhouse outside of Florence.

Galileo's fate was very different from that of other scientists at the time of the Inquisition. Some were executed for threatening the church's teachings. Italian astronomer Giordano Bruno, an Italian philosopher who argued that the universe was infinite, was burned at the stake.

Vatican seeks to rebrand its relationship with science - CNN.com

I don't know any Christians who deny hard, factual, scientific evidence. Most of us don't pay much attention to the speculative kind of "science" because it's not true science. Science means knowledge and until something is truly known, it really isn't scientific fact.

True but you guys fight scientific theory all the time that ends up being true. Why do you fight it? Because it is consistently proving your religion wrong?

The story of Galileo reminds me of when the rabbi asked Jesus if he was god and when he said yes the rabbi ripped his shirt and yelled blasphemer! Fact is, the church is very close minded and is very slow to change even when it is wrong. I understand why. When you are telling the greatest bullshit story ever told, you don't want some scientist coming in and fucking up your racket. :eusa_shhh:

See!

According to the Bible, Earth is not the result of billions of years of stellar evolution during which many other planets were also created. No, the bible says earth was created before any other planet or star existed. Earth came into existence on the first day of Creation and God withheld the creation of the Sun, Moon and stars until the fourth day.

Forget the fact that the bible is factually wrong. The men who wrote it didn't know science. They were just making it up or it was a story their forefathers told them and they were just passing on legend. They truly believed we were alone in the universe and special.

So if we found life elsewhere it SHOULD be a big blow to religion but it won't because they are a slippery bunch. Greatest bullshit story ever told.

Religion has been proven wrong a million times. It hasn't stopped them before and it won't when we find them wrong yet again. Hell look they are already trying to wiggle out of it just in case we do find life somewhere else. For the longest time they stayed firm and said we were alone. Today, with the more science we know, they are afraid we are going to find life somewhere else and they don't want that to blow their scam so they are already backing down on this just in case. :badgrin:

Answered the OP in another post, freak. Answered your specific post after the fact. Learn to read you drug addicted bum.

You can't "prove religion wrong." Religion is a belief or state of mind. Damn you're an imbecile.

Watch out folks ... these numskulls drive cars.

So you really think our Faith in God is going to be shaken if we find life on other planets, when the scriptures testify that God has created Worlds without End?

The more life found in the Universe, the more likely there is a Creator and the less likely everything just happens by chance.

Um, if your faith is based on the Bible then yes I do. The Bible never makes mention of God creating "Worlds without End" quite the opposite in fact. It claims that the starts in the sky are all angels. In my opinion the discover that the celestial bodies in the night sky aren't angels but just chunks of rock and balls of gas is more than enough reason to stop believing.

You can't get there right now.
And I'm pretty sure the beings are called fallen angels.

Are you saying we can't get to Mars or Europa? Because the truth of the matter is the opposite. We can and have sent rovers to mars and craft to observe Jupiter and its moons (Europa included) and will someday soon begin to delve even deeper.

And do you mean to imply that any intelligent life we may find are fallen angels?

What freaks me out though is the closest possible other star that may have intelligent life on it is light years away. All those stars we see in the sky, can not be reached by man until we invent warp speed which might not be possible. Although my grandparents always said if it can be imagined it can be done.

NASA actually has a research project underway to explore the possibilities of warp technology.

Answered the OP in another post, freak. Answered your specific post after the fact. Learn to read you drug addicted bum.

You can't "prove religion wrong." Religion is a belief or state of mind. Damn you're an imbecile.

Watch out folks ... these numskulls drive cars.

Thank you for admitting basically god is all in your head. :eusa_clap:

Scriptures testify that God has created Worlds without End?

The more life found in the Universe, the more likely there is a Creator and the less likely everything just happens by chance.

Where does scripture say god created worlds without end? And if it does, that proves my point that the bible says a lot of things, often times contradictory things.

Because we have shown you that Genesis says god created only us, the angels and the animals. It also says he created us first then everything else. In other words we are the center of the universe. It implies we are it.

So if the good "bullshit' book says both things, that wouldn't surprise me. It says so many things you can find a quote for every occasion regardless of your position. Just keep reading because it's 1000 pages of god said this and god said that. I'm sure you can find something in it to back up your position just as I can mine.

So you really think our Faith in God is going to be shaken if we find life on other planets, when the scriptures testify that God has created Worlds without End?

This is fucking hilarious. You theists read the bible and don't even know what the fuck you are reading.

I found where it said "There is a world without end". Uh, I think he was talking about heaven?

You thought it said god created "world's without end"? Learn how to use a fucking comma. Learn how to comprehend.

This is fucking hilarious. You theists read the bible and don't even know what the fuck you are reading.

I found where it said "There is a world without end". Uh, I think he was talking about heaven?

You thought it said god created "world's without end"? Learn how to use a fucking comma. Learn how to comprehend.

There are no commas in the greek. Learn something and give it a rest.

A lot of things in science are theories and not fact.

Um, if your faith is based on the Bible then yes I do. The Bible never makes mention of God creating "Worlds without End" quite the opposite in fact. It claims that the starts in the sky are all angels. In my opinion the discover that the celestial bodies in the night sky aren't angels but just chunks of rock and balls of gas is more than enough reason to stop believing.

It is really a misquote. It is singular in the Bible.

What Bible are you referring to? There is no claim that the stars in the sky are angels. Angels were created by God.....there are no more being created, and they are not stars.

Forum List

Back