Question for Trump supporters: Would this be okay with you?

From what I'm hearing, the GOP establishment is trying to downplay the possibility of a brokered convention. Surely they know it would cause a huge revolt within their own party. And regardless, there's nothing they can do if he gets the required votes..

There would be a contested convention if no candidate wins 1237 votes on the first ballot. After that, the only thing that matters is that a candidate wins 1237 votes on subsequent ballots. If Trump - or any candidate - doesn't win 1237 votes, then they shouldn't be the candidate, full stop. And if Trump wins 1237 votes - like any other candidate - he should be the nominee.
Whoever has the most delegates should get the nomination. Anything else is thwarting the will of the people. That 1237 shit needs to be done away with.

There are 2472 delegates at the convention. 1237 is the majority of the delegates needed to win the nomination.

If any candidate gets at least 1237 delegates, he should be the nominee, including Trump. But if no candidate gets the majority of the candidates, no candidate is owed anything by anyone. It will be up to the delegates to vote however they wish after the first ballot.

If Trump ends up with 1199 and we end up with an Establishment pick, that might very well be within the rules.

Don't expect much support from the base, and all those record breaking turnouts? YOu can forget that too.

The delegates might want to consider that.

From what I'm hearing, the GOP establishment is trying to downplay the possibility of a brokered convention. Surely they know it would cause a huge revolt within their own party. And regardless, there's nothing they can do if he gets the required votes..

There would be a contested convention if no candidate wins 1237 votes on the first ballot. After that, the only thing that matters is that a candidate wins 1237 votes on subsequent ballots. If Trump - or any candidate - doesn't win 1237 votes, then they shouldn't be the candidate, full stop. And if Trump wins 1237 votes - like any other candidate - he should be the nominee.
Whoever has the most delegates should get the nomination. Anything else is thwarting the will of the people. That 1237 shit needs to be done away with.

There are 2472 delegates at the convention. 1237 is the majority of the delegates needed to win the nomination.

If any candidate gets at least 1237 delegates, he should be the nominee, including Trump. But if no candidate gets the majority of the candidates, no candidate is owed anything by anyone. It will be up to the delegates to vote however they wish after the first ballot.

If Trump ends up with 1199 and we end up with an Establishment pick, that might very well be within the rules.

Don't expect much support from the base, and all those record breaking turnouts? YOu can forget that too.

I think it's possible that (and this is just what I'm inferring from some of what I'm hearing) the more moderate/establishment sector of the party would literally rather lose than win with Trump.

That's not for sure, obviously, but with each statement like Romney's it's going to get more and more difficult for many to back Trump.

I think it's possible that (and this is just what I'm inferring from some of what I'm hearing) the more moderate/establishment sector of the party would literally rather lose than win with Trump.

That's not for sure, obviously, but with each statement like Romney's it's going to get more and more difficult for many to back Trump.

And what does that say about THEM?

The policies that Trump is pushing, what is so radical or dangerous about them?

Answer: NOthing.

That they are having such a hissy fit because Trump is not one of them, speaks volumes about them more than it does about Trump or his supporters.

That they are having such a hissy fit because Trump is not one of them, speaks volumes about them more than it does about Trump or his supporters.
Well, maybe they're factoring his behavior into this.

From what I'm hearing, the GOP establishment is trying to downplay the possibility of a brokered convention. Surely they know it would cause a huge revolt within their own party. And regardless, there's nothing they can do if he gets the required votes.

Also, Trump's supporters have made it pretty clear that they've had it with the GOP and really don't care what it thinks about Trump. Okay.

So here's my question: Would you mind if the "establishment" ran and backed a more moderate Republican, like a Romney or a Ryan or a Rubio, and ran them third party?

I would mind. They made a pact with Trump and they need to stick to their promise. On the same token, Trump needs to abide by his promise as well.

So he's uncouth and that's reason to throw the election?

LIke I said, you are asking the wrong question.

This is not about what is wrong with Trump, this is about what is wrong with the GOP Establishment.

Do they think that having HIllary define the Court for the next generation is a good thing?

If they don't have a problem with a Democrat President, then why the hell have they taken on the job of supposedly fighting against that?

IT IS THEIR JOB TO WIN ELECTIONS.

From what I'm hearing, the GOP establishment is trying to downplay the possibility of a brokered convention. Surely they know it would cause a huge revolt within their own party. And regardless, there's nothing they can do if he gets the required votes.

Also, Trump's supporters have made it pretty clear that they've had it with the GOP and really don't care what it thinks about Trump. Okay.

So here's my question: Would you mind if the "establishment" ran and backed a more moderate Republican, like a Romney or a Ryan or a Rubio, and ran them third party?
I would mind. They made a pact with Trump and they need to stick to their promise. On the same token, Trump needs to abide by his promise as well.
Well, this pact was vague at best, anyway, it's "rules" are completely subjective. The establishment is absolutely humiliated by this guy on multiple levels, and it's pretty clear that many are not going to support him at all. That's just a given going into November, so the question is how far they go.

This is not about what is wrong with Trump, this is about what is wrong with the GOP Establishment.

Do they think that having HIllary define the Court for the next generation is a good thing?

If they don't have a problem with a Democrat President, then why the hell have they taken on the job of supposedly fighting against that?

Yeah, no doubt even considering doing such a thing is huge. Obviously this all gets answered pretty quickly, but the RNC and the rest have some pretty big freaking decisions to make pretty quickly. Maybe they decide to put all their effort into Cruz.

Well, this pact was vague at best, anyway, it's "rules" are completely subjective. The establishment is absolutely humiliated by this guy on multiple levels, and it's pretty clear that many are not going to support him at all. That's just a given going into November, so the question is how far they go.

That is in fact the question. I wonder if they plan on screwing both Trump and Cruz over and going with Rubio. It will be a huge mistake, but hey, the GOP has been making huge mistakes since about 2006

If you don't mind Hillary as President, then there should be no objection.

Yeah, no doubt even considering doing such a thing is huge. Obviously this all gets answered pretty quickly, but the RNC and the rest have some pretty big freaking decisions to make pretty quickly. Maybe they decide to put all their effort into Cruz.

Do you consider their behavior appropriate?

As it pertains to Trump, you mean?

They're shitting bricks. It's beginning to look like they'd rather lose the general than back Trump. So outside of just bending over and taking it, this would be their only option.

I don't get it. Trump is saying exactly the same things that right wingers have been saying for years. I would think they should love having Trump for the nominee.
He supports much of the status quo that cost the country a lot of money

Please elaborate
he supports forced use of ethanol even though it's been shown to be worse than just gas

It's being forced on us now! Think Hillary would change that?
as I said, he supports that status quo.

and no, hillary won't remove any government control of our lives, she will, in fact, add many more

If they did that wouldn't that be like saying there is no Republican party? and voters really do not count?
They're shitting bricks. It's beginning to look like they'd rather lose the general than back Trump. So outside of just bending over and taking it, this would be their only option.

I don't get it. Trump is saying exactly the same things that right wingers have been saying for years. I would think they should love having Trump for the nominee.

That's the rabble saying it. Presidential nominees aren't supposed to say those things out loud. They are supposed to dog whistle that stuff.

As it pertains to the fact that they

a. Believe they have a Right to work against the wishes of the GOP voters.

b. Would rather lose than win.

c. appear to NOT be invested in advancing their supposed principles or the interests of the nation as they supposedly see them.

If they did that wouldn't that be like saying there is no Republican party? and voters really do not count?

That's the rabble saying it. Presidential nominees aren't supposed to say those things out loud. They are supposed to dog whistle that stuff.

Dog Whistle being Code for "we don't have any racism but we need some, so let us just make up crap".

c. appear to NOT be invested in advancing their supposed principles or the interests of the nation as they supposedly see them.
Well, with the caveat that I don't have a dog in the GOP hunt, I can understand their panic. I think the guy is a national embarrassment, a living, breathing, ranting illustration of the old term "Ugly American".

That said, I think they're still just stunned and don't quite know how to react. Yeah, it's their responsibility to promote the GOP nominee, you're right. That's why, given the options that appear to be available to them, I'm starting to think they'll minimize their support for him without being overtly hostile and concentrate more on House & Senate races.

IF, big "if" there, it's true that they would literally rather lose than have him in the White House....well, it's like jumping out of a burning building. They're fucked either way. They don't want this guy representing their party. They think they would damage the GOP brand even more. But then they'd have Hillary.

I'm just glad I'm not in their shoes.

...third party?

third parties are always a disaster and only for losers. :up:

That is your close minded opinion.

The fact that so many people like you believe that someone like me should either vote for either Republican candidate or the Democratic candidate or not vote at all is appalling, and I will go one step further and state you would prefer a one party system where it is only the Tea Party Caucus that the American voter can vote for.

A Third Party Candidate is for the voter that does not agree with the two bigger parties choices of candidate, and is not for a loser but for the true American that is not brainwashed into believing that you have to vote for one of the two big party ticket candidates.

What I find sad and pathetic is the partisan individual that believe they should only vote for one political party and vote straight ticket like a mindless drone.

I have no delusion of believing Gary Johnson will win the General Election but if enough people vote for him then it will send a bigger message to the two bigger parties that those like me have tired with the two party system that does nothing but play wedge issue games and get very little done to fix the problems this nation is facing and will face in the future.

Trump, Cruz and Clinton are the worst three choices for President the two big political parties have put up in recent memory and I have to go back to Gore and Bush or maybe Kerry and Bush and even then those candidates were better choices to me then the clown car I am seeing from the two bigger political parties.

So please keep on writing about how anyone that vote for a third party candidate is a loser because the real loser to me is the mindless partisan drone that vote straight ticket and believe their political party has the only answers that can fix this nation when the truth is this country would be better off with a few more political parties in the House and Senate to help get the two bigger parties to do their damn job for once!

Well, with the caveat that I don't have a dog in the GOP hunt, I can understand their panic. I think the guy is a national embarrassment, a living, breathing, ranting illustration of the old term "Ugly American".

That said, I think they're still just stunned and don't quite know how to react. Yeah, it's their responsibility to promote the GOP nominee, you're right. That's why, given the options that appear to be available to them, I'm starting to think they'll minimize their support for him without being overtly hostile and concentrate more on House & Senate races.

IF, big "if" there, it's true that they would literally rather lose than have him in the White House....well, it's like jumping out of a burning building. They're fucked either way. They don't want this guy representing their party. They think they would damage the GOP brand even more. But then they'd have Hillary.

I'm just glad I'm not in their shoes.

If the choice is the European track of liberal "muslim inundated" socialism or the ugly American track, call me "patriotic ugly". This 2016 election should be a clarifying moment in the direction of the US.

Forum List

Back