Republicans, here's your chance.

As I keep saying, we don't need to make cheap products with low-skilled labor jobs here. No American worker is going to accept a minimum wage job making refrigerators. That's just a simple fact.

And as I keep saying, the way America has always stayed ahead is by being innovative and training our students for the jobs of tomorrow, not the jobs of their forefathers.

Everything hinges on updating and improving our education system to maintain our edge.

That's hard work, and Trump and his predecessors were too lazy to do it. So they pound the populist drum and take the easy way out and go full leftist with protectionism.

You don't note what these jobs are and how they will come in the millions.

There's a lot of complaining going on about this spending and taxing program the Democrats are trying to get done. Nothing wrong with that. A strong debate about taxing and spending levels is an important conversation, even if all we seem to do is spend more regardless of the party in power.

So, Republicans, if you're convinced that the country wants lower taxes and lower spending, it seems to me that the 2022 election process is your chance to prove it. But there's just one thing you need to do, to be The Party of Fiscal Responsibility: Cut spending first, then cut taxes.

So here's how the 2022 campaigns would go: GOP candidates from coast to coast would run on first cutting Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, Welfare, several departments like the DOE, and then cutting taxes. Be honest with the American people. Be specific on what you would cut, by how much, and how it would affect everyday Americans.

If you win on that platform, you'll know that you have the ideas that America wants. You'll be able to overwhelm Biden with public opinion until you get the White House back in 2024. Then you'll truly be The Party of Fiscal Responsibility.

Agreed?
Ummmmmmmm, it's NOT fiscal responsibility to continue passing multi-trillion dollar bills one after another after another after another.

Ummmmmmmm, it's NOT fiscal responsibility to continue passing multi-trillion dollar bills one after another after another after another.
Correct. So wouldn't it be more responsible to cut spending first, instead of just talking about it?

Wouldn't that be a good campaign plank? Wouldn't it be honest and fair to describe the cuts in detail during the campaign?

Correct. So wouldn't it be more responsible to cut spending first, instead of just talking about it?

Wouldn't that be a good campaign plank? Wouldn't it be honest and fair to describe the cuts in detail during the campaign?
I gave you a plan in post #39 that you refuse to discuss

@@@@@@@@@@
government spending should be frozen at the current level and then gradually reduced year by year

Some repubs suggest 1% as a reasonable amount

Since you want to raise taxes, a deal could be made to allow dems to raise taxes each year by the same 1% till the budget was balanced

Since you want to raise taxes, a deal could be made to allow dems to raise taxes each year by the same 1% till the budget was balanced

That sounds like a great solution. Is anyone pushing this?

It was first proposed by rep will penny (r) years ago

But official washington has shown no interest

Washington will adamantly oppose it. It will only happen if we demand it - ie stop voting for tax-and-spend (or for that matter cut-taxes-and-spend) reps.

Washington will adamantly oppose it. It will only happen if we demand it - ie stop voting for tax-and-spend (or for that matter cut-taxes-and-spend) reps.
It would take too much power out of the hands on congress and personally cost them money in lost bribes and campaign contributions

It would take too much power out of the hands on congress and personally cost them money in lost bribes and campaign contributions
It won't change until we change our voting system. The lesser-of-two-evils mindset ensures we'll never break out of the two-party shitshow.

It won't change until we change our voting system. The lesser-of-two-evils mindset ensures we'll never break out of the two-party shitshow.
I would rather improve the republican party than start a 3rd party from scratch

Well, currently we've got Democrats in control of both branches of Congress and the presidency. So, yeah, let's talk about cutting spending. Democrats certainly aren't doing that.

Could we have imagined in 1975 the tens of millions of jobs in the computer industry coming in the future? Or the telecommunications industry?

Some of the jobs of the future will be in automated car services. Some will be in financial services. Some will be in nanotechnology. Some will be in energy. Many will be in fields we can't even imagine yet.

All will require heavy duty technical and engineering training.

Let's travel back in time 60 years...

FARMER: What will my toddler son do when he grows up if he isn't going to be a farmer, dad blast it?

PSYCHIC: (*peers into crystal ball*) Your son is going to be in charge of the maintenance for satellite uplink/downlink terminals at Verizon.

FARMER: What's a satellite, and WHAT THE HELL IS A VERIZON!?!

PSYCHIC: I don't know, but if I were you, I'd be whipping him with a switch if he doesn't get straight A's in mathematics and science.

FARMER: Will he be handsome? Will he be rich?

PSYCHIC: Que sera, sera. Whatever will be, will be. The future's not ours to see...

Welcome to part of the problem!
Trump pulled it off

He was basically a 3rd party candidate who had to fight dems and repubs in washingtion

A true third party president would have it even worse

Trump pulled it off

He was basically a 3rd party candidate who had to fight dems and repubs in washingtion
Nope. He was direct product of the two-party shitshow. We keep voting lesser and lesser. So we get lesser and lesser.
A true third party president would have it even worse
It depends entirely on the President in question. A real leader who focused on building consensus wouldn't face the kind of bitter partisan rancor that Trump has dealt with. But Trump isn't a real leader. He intentionally alienates people and then whines because they don't like him.

A real leader who focused on building consensus wouldn't face the kind of bitter partisan rancor that Trump has dealt with
I agree it was partisan rancor

But the rancor was professional washington swamp rats in both parties united against an outsider that they could not control

Forum List

Back