Ron Paul: Crimea Secedes. So What?...

Residents of Crimea voted over the weekend on whether they would remain an autonomous region of Ukraine or join the Russian Federation. In so doing, they joined a number of countries and regions — including recently Scotland, Catalonia and Venice — that are seeking to secede from what they view as unresponsive or oppressive governments.

These latter three are proceeding without much notice, while the overwhelming Crimea vote to secede from Ukraine has incensed U.S. and European Union officials, and has led NATO closer to conflict with Russia than since the height of the Cold War.

What's the big deal? Opponents of the Crimea vote like to point to the illegality of the referendum. But self-determination is a centerpiece of international law. Article I of the United Nations Charter points out clearly that the purpose of the U.N. is to "develop friendly relations among nations based on respect for the principle of equal rights and self-determination of peoples."

Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?

Critics point to the Russian "occupation" of Crimea as evidence that no fair vote could have taken place. Where were these people when an election held in an Iraq occupied by U.S. troops was called a "triumph of democracy"?

Perhaps the U.S. officials who supported the unconstitutional overthrow of Ukraine's government should refocus their energies on learning our own Constitution, which does not allow the U.S. government to overthrow governments overseas or send a billion dollars to bail out Ukraine and its international creditors.

Though the Obama administration has applied some minimal sanctions on selected Russian and Crimean individuals, neither the U.S. nor the EU can afford significant sanctions against Russia. Global trade provides too much economic benefit to both sides.

Indeed, international markets rallied on news that the sanctions would be thus far minimal. They understand that trade and economic engagement are the surest roads to peace and prosperity. Let's hope governments will follow their lead.

Ron Paul: Crimea secedes. So what?
DRUDGE REPORT 2014®

As normal Ron Paul is wrong on this....I am sure the Russian soldiers at the voting booth made for a very honest election...... Again Ron Paul shows he is weaker then Obama in foreign affairs which is pretty fucking amazing.

Even if the vote was corrupt, and there is no evidence that it was, what business is it of ours? Who appointed the USA as the moral police force of the world?

Paul is right, its none of our fuckin business and it has zero impact on the USA. and I ask you the same question: are you ready for ameican kids to die for it?
There is never evidence of fraud in a fixed election with a dictator! The fact that soldiers where walking up and down the streets and at the polls tells me all I need to know about the fraud.... Ron Paul is and always will be a coward liar.

If Crimea has voted to join the EU no one'd be sabre-rattling. It's simply sour grapes on the part of the EU and western powers they went to Russia. But at the end of the day anyone who ever thought of Crimea/Ukraine as anything BUT part of Russia is lying.

Oh really? Is that your opinion over there in Missouri? Think before you post.

There is never evidence of fraud in a fixed election with a dictator! The fact that soldiers where walking up and down the streets and at the polls tells me all I need to know about the fraud.... Ron Paul is and always will be a coward liar.

For all their sound fiscal ideas, libertarians sure do seem to go out of their way to make themselves look as such whenever it comes to foreign policy.

Even if the vote was corrupt, and there is no evidence that it was

Everything about it is evidence that it was corrupt, to say the least.

only the talking points from the idiots who want war with Russia. If you have some real proof, lets see it.

second question: are you ready to send american kids over there to die or get their arms and legs blown off because there may have been a corrupt vote?

Residents of Crimea voted over the weekend on whether they would remain an autonomous region of Ukraine or join the Russian Federation. In so doing, they joined a number of countries and regions — including recently Scotland, Catalonia and Venice — that are seeking to secede from what they view as unresponsive or oppressive governments.

These latter three are proceeding without much notice, while the overwhelming Crimea vote to secede from Ukraine has incensed U.S. and European Union officials, and has led NATO closer to conflict with Russia than since the height of the Cold War.

What's the big deal? Opponents of the Crimea vote like to point to the illegality of the referendum. But self-determination is a centerpiece of international law. Article I of the United Nations Charter points out clearly that the purpose of the U.N. is to "develop friendly relations among nations based on respect for the principle of equal rights and self-determination of peoples."

Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?

Critics point to the Russian "occupation" of Crimea as evidence that no fair vote could have taken place. Where were these people when an election held in an Iraq occupied by U.S. troops was called a "triumph of democracy"?

Perhaps the U.S. officials who supported the unconstitutional overthrow of Ukraine's government should refocus their energies on learning our own Constitution, which does not allow the U.S. government to overthrow governments overseas or send a billion dollars to bail out Ukraine and its international creditors.

Though the Obama administration has applied some minimal sanctions on selected Russian and Crimean individuals, neither the U.S. nor the EU can afford significant sanctions against Russia. Global trade provides too much economic benefit to both sides.

Indeed, international markets rallied on news that the sanctions would be thus far minimal. They understand that trade and economic engagement are the surest roads to peace and prosperity. Let's hope governments will follow their lead.

DRUDGE REPORT 2014®

As normal Ron Paul is wrong on this....I am sure the Russian soldiers at the voting booth made for a very honest election...... Again Ron Paul shows he is weaker then Obama in foreign affairs which is pretty fucking amazing.

And I'm sure the fact that an overwhelming majority of Crimean people wanting to be part of Russia just doesn't matter to you.

Even if the vote was corrupt, and there is no evidence that it was, what business is it of ours? Who appointed the USA as the moral police force of the world?

Paul is right, its none of our fuckin business and it has zero impact on the USA. and I ask you the same question: are you ready for ameican kids to die for it?

"dictator" are you now cliaming that Putin was not elected in Russia?

you ignored my other question: are you ready to send american kids over there to die or get maimed because you think the election might be rigged?

Even if the vote was corrupt, and there is no evidence that it was

only the talking points from the idiots who want war with Russia. If you have some real proof, lets see it.

second question: are you ready to send american kids over there to die or get their arms and legs blown off because there may have been a corrupt vote?
Fuck you. And fuck your lie that any who dont bow to your absurd close your eyes and hope it goes away mentality is for war! There is much we could have done before it even got this far! Much yet that can be done before Putin forces another world war!

DRUDGE REPORT 2014®

And I'm sure the fact that an overwhelming majority of Crimean people wanting to be part of Russia just doesn't matter to you.

right, for many this is about showing Putin that we can still kick his ass and that obama is not a pussy. our arrogance knows no bounds.

DRUDGE REPORT 2014®

It says more to the brave few who risked their lives to vote against the Russian annexation. Damn shames that most were not as brave.

you ignored my other question: are you ready to send american kids over there to die or get maimed because you think the election might be rigged?

Castro and Kim Jung are elected as well.

Fuck you. And fuck your lie that any who dont bow to your absurd close your eyes and hope it goes away mentality is for war! There is much we could have done before it even got this far! Much yet that can be done before Putin forces another world war!

The truth pisses you off, doesn't it? You claimed the vote in crimea was fixed---prove it.

Why should we have tried to prevent it? what was/is our national interest in keeping crimea from rejoining Russia?

what pisses me off is that Putin has made obama look like an incompetent boob in every international arena.

It says more to the brave few who risked their lives to vote against the Russian annexation. Damn shames that most were not as brave.

thats why people vote on things such as this. the majority decided. the minority can move to Ukraine if they don't want to stay in crimea.

The truth pisses you off, doesn't it? You claimed the vote in crimea was fixed---prove it.

Why should we have tried to prevent it? what was/is our national interest in keeping crimea from rejoining Russia?

what pisses me off is that Putin has made obama look like an incompetent boob in every international arena.
Dummy troops waling the streets and at the polls prove it was not a valid election.

So was Obama, whats your point?

thats why people vote on things such as this. the majority decided. the minority can move to Ukraine if they don't want to stay in crimea.

How old are you? Because I am old enough to remember the soviet union and have many family members FROM the Ukraine to tell me what it was like. Perhaps you need to brush up on history a bit.

Dummy troops waling the streets and at the polls prove it was not a valid election.

Were they looking over people's shoulders as they cast their ballots? were they telling the poll workers how to count the ballots? Or were they just keeping the peace?

How do you KNOW that the vote was not completely legitimate?

So was Obama, whats your point?

My point is that dictators are always shown to be elected....Always by intimidation and fraud....

Were they looking over people's shoulders as they cast their ballots? were they telling the poll workers how to count the ballots? Or were they just keeping the peace?

How do you KNOW that the vote was not completely legitimate?

Your ignorance is astounding.

If you care so much about Ukraine, you're welcome to suit up and head over to fight. You're also welcome to hand your own bank account over to em. But don't force all Taxpayers to pay for your misadventure. I don't give a rat's nuts about Ukraine. This conflict is between them and Russia. It has nothing to do with us. How many $Billions in Tax Dollars are gonna get flushed over there when it's all said and done? We should mind our damn business for once. I'm sick of my Country and Great Britain always meddling. It's time to change our Foreign Policy.

How old are you? Because I am old enough to remember the soviet union and have many family members FROM the Ukraine to tell me what it was like. Perhaps you need to brush up on history a bit.

probably older than you. I too remember the USSR and understand why it broke up.

You keep claiming that the vote was fixed but you have not provided one shread of evidence to support that claim.

Forum List

Back