Should the American GI be executed for killing the inocents in Afghanistan?

Should the US soldier face the death penalty for the murders in Afghanistan?

• Total voters
wow 4 tours wounded twice,but lets throw him under the bus!!. Kill him to save face?? We should not lower ourselves to their level.

The guy gets a fair trial no other way. The death penalty is for barbarians not Americans.

Spot on. I'd like to know who made the decision to send this man back into harms way if in fact he had previously been wounded and suffered a truamatic brain injury?

(What have we accomplished in our response to 9-11? What have been the costs, and what have been the benefits?)

wow 4 tours wounded twice,but lets throw him under the bus!!. Kill him to save face?? We should not lower ourselves to their level.

The guy gets a fair trial no other way. The death penalty is for barbarians not Americans.

Spot on. I'd like to know who made the decision to send this man back into harms way if in fact he had previously been wounded and suffered a truamatic brain injury?

(What have we accomplished in our response to 9-11? What have been the costs, and what have been the benefits?)

As he has been identified, and CBS, among others, online is starting to try him in the media, his attorney made a statement that the goal is to avoid the DP. Life or DP might be enough. Let him live outside? NO WAY. (Fox was first but with less information, which is not surprising.) I feel for his family, but him? NADA.

As he has been identified, and CBS, among others, online is starting to try him in the media, his attorney made a statement that the goal is to avoid the DP. Life or DP might be enough. Let him live outside? NO WAY. (Fox was first but with less information, which is not surprising.) I feel for his family, but him? NADA.

I'm not surprised that the media lynch mob is dutifully in full cry; the lives of enemy civilians and even enemy combatants are more valued in some quarters than those of American military personnel. Consider that a lovely legacy from another generation of "journalists" in Vietnam.I'm quite sure that the current object of the exercise will be duly convicted condemned and crucified in print and on the airwaves, without a peep of protest, long before he ever sees the inside of a military courtroom and receives such due process as the UCMJ affords. I wonder if any of the vultures will ask, in passing, along the way, whether it was wise to cut our military forces to the point that we have been forced to send troops on repeated combat deployments until they break, or if it matters that those who do usually just kill themselves, instead of those precious enemy civilians. No, probably not; better an overstretched military to deter any more intervention abroad the liberal elite doesn't like; more money for the favored victim groups that way, and what's a few dead or broken soldiers compared to that? So what, if we have our own "Breaker" Morant to sacrifice for the appeasement of friend, foe or both; does it matter, if an unstable, wounded man was sent back to combat? No, he's just one sergeant, just an animal; just shoot him; hell, let our enemies, er, I mean "allies", carve up his corpse when it's done (it's an Afghan tradition, after all, and we must be "culturally sensitive"). Make an example of him; have to keep our wars neat, clean and sanitary, and as politically correct as possible.

I know I'm in the minority on this, but while we prattle about morality, do you suppose we could discuss the morality of reducing our forces to the point that personnel have to be deployed to combat four, five, six, seven or eight times? How about the morality of sending the wounded back into the fight? No, that's OK, isn't it; I mean, after all, they DID volunteer; it's not like they were drafted, is it? If they do want to get out, and that's not convenient, we can make them stay anyway; that's what "stop-loss" orders are for, right? Let's cut their pay and benefits too; they don't deserve the former, and don't need the latter, not with Obamacare for all coming up; never mind the military, spend the money on THAT. Our soldiers should be grateful, after all, don't we applaud and cheer them in the airports now, instead of insulting them? Why, we even welcome them home and thank them! Then, we'll use them until we break them, and if they screw up when we break them we'll gleefully blame them; otherwise, I suppose we'll mostly ignore them.

I see, as usual, that the loudest voices of condemnation arise from those who have never served their country, worn the uniform, or ever fought a war, one of the privileges of which, as I learned from my tour in Vietnam, is having all the permanent civilians judge you for whatever they think you did (or didn't do), by their standards and with the benefit of hindsight. I'm used to being lied to, abused and misused by civilian commanders and politicians, and lied about by the media, and to tell the truth, I didn't appreciate any of that, but I got used to it; so why do I have this queasy feeling, that as bad as that was, in some ways what's being done to these troops today is worse?

SEATTLE (AP) -- A former platoon leader for the soldier accused of killing 16 Afghan civilians says the allegations are "100 percent out of character" for the man, whom he described as a model soldier who has saved other soldiers' lives.

Army Capt. Chris Alexander said Robert Bales worked as a stock trader before the Sept. 11 attacks motivated him to enlist in the Army.

<SNIP>

Alexander, 32, spent three years as Bales' platoon leader, including during Bales' second deployment to Iraq. He described Bales as "one of the best guys I ever worked with."

"He always made sure his team was ready, that they were briefed on the mission, that the equipment was checked," he said. "Anything he was given to do, you never had to worry about it getting done and done well."

Alexander said he and others who served with Bales were stunned by the allegations.

News from The Associated Press

I say YES. His victims were mostly women and children. 12 of them. The man should face the death penalty and his execution should be televised in Afghanistan in my opinion.

Dont judge someone before there is a trial.

It's my opinion. We all know he is guilty. It's just a matter of insanity at this point and that doesn't mean much to me unless he is truly insane. He shot then lit on fire 12 women and children. Sorry if I got no sympathy.

Frankly I think he should be executed as a kindness. I don't think there is any way we can punish him more than we already have or that he has done to himself. I think he deserves peace.

I say YES. His victims were mostly women and children. 12 of them. The man should face the death penalty and his execution should be televised in Afghanistan in my opinion.

It's my opinion. We all know he is guilty. It's just a matter of insanity at this point and that doesn't mean much to me unless he is truly insane. He shot then lit on fire 12 women and children. Sorry if I got no sympathy.
When his attorney says he is fighting the death penalty as his goal, that is a big hint he isn't going to use innocence as a defense.

I voted no and I'm willing to wait to find out the whole story about his brain injury and see if something may have snapped in him. What happened to the guy or guys who took part in that M&#7929; Lai Massacre? Do I think what he did was a good thing? Hell no. Do I think he should get a slap on the wrist? Hell no.
I think it sucked that they gave out his name and potentially put his wife and children at risk.

You dont know the facts of the case. If you judge then you excuse all the laws of this nation. Simple as that.

I find the death penalty rather barbaric but we may have to in order to keep the lid on Afghanistan until we can get out.

I think we should leave NOW. Leave air support behind to deal with the taliban and terrorists. Otherwise all we've done is to emulate Russia. But that's not why he should be put to death. Justice is and it needs to be on display for the barbarians and those they try to influence to see.

Like they would even give a shit, it won't make them "like" us any better. I agree that we should have left "yesterday", I also do recall plenty of republicans who were against "cutting and running", it's "Funny" how that attitude has seemed to change.

You dont know the facts of the case. If you judge then you excuse all the laws of this nation. Simple as that.

I am not a judge nor a jury member. Im an american with an opinion. Just like OJ was found not guilty but in my opinion he is guilty as one can be.

Frankly I think he should be executed as a kindness. I don't think there is any way we can punish him more than we already have or that he has done to himself. I think he deserves peace.

Doc, that thought had occurred to me as well.We don't know yet why this happened, but assuming that he snapped mentally somehow, and now understands what he did, he will have to live with that knowledge for the rest of his life, however long or short that is. Whatever the standing orders and ROE shoulda/woulda/coulda/ been, they are what they are, and thus according to the UCMJ, if he pulled the trigger, he is guilty of murder, unless he met the narrow definition of insanity at the time (inability to distinguish right from wrong). Otherwise, his mental state, whatever it was, is only a mitigating factor to be considered in passing sentence; enough to spare him execution perhaps, but not a life sentence; which, I agree with you, would not be showing him mercy; quite the contrary.That's why I think it is so vitally important to determine if this man was improperly sent back to combat improperly, if for no other reason than to keep that from happening to any more soldiers..

Everyone is trying to blame the G.I. for what happened.

What led up to this?

What has been happening at that villiage?

Nobody is asking the soldiers that are stationed there what's going on.

I would think that such a trial would include intensive psychological examinations of the solder, and that the results of such examinations would exonerate the defendant. Add his name to the long list of American soldiers whose lives and families were destroyed by the horrors of the wars Bush made them fight.

I would think that such a trial would include intensive psychological examinations of the solder, and that the results of such examinations would exonerate the defendant. Add his name to the long list of American soldiers whose lives and families were destroyed by the horrors of the wars Bush made them fight..

Bush, and Congress, and the majority of democrats.....(the war wouldn't have happened if Congress & dems were not in agreement!)
Besides that, this soldier should never have been made to go back to war after what he'd been through. I'll be very surprised though if the results show this and anyone else will take any blame for it.......

I would think that such a trial would include intensive psychological examinations of the solder, and that the results of such examinations would exonerate the defendant. Add his name to the long list of American soldiers whose lives and families were destroyed by the horrors of the wars Bush made them fight.

Seems like Obama is the prick doing that now.

Bush has been out of office 3.5 years dip-shit.

Forum List

Back