So, about the homeless.....

As someone who deals with homeless on a daily basis, here are my limited but personal observations. Many homeless, when offered the services of homeless shelters, will refuse them. Most of the homeless I meet are substance addicted and/or have mental instabilities. Some, preferring hospitals to homeless shelters, will present themselves to police in late evening and claim to be suicidal or intent on harming others so police are forced to arrest them and submit them to medical authorities for examination. This typically happens after midnight so the hospitals are forced to keep them until morning.

I wish there was an easy solution for this, but there isn't.
One type of homeless shelter is called the jail.

If they won't go voluntarily they can be rounded up and sent involuntarily.

I work in an area where there is a homeless assistance building and I pass it every day. They get their daily needs and then hang out in the park. No attempt to even try to pull it together. Put the to work for the city doing whatever they can, like cleaning police cars or something.

What daily needs do they get?

Food, clothing, not sure if they get a shower or not... but there is ample free water everywhere... public bathrooms etc. They get stuff people give away... bikes, backpacks (we are near a college), I have seem some that own dogs. WTF?

if proven to be homeless they should be guaranteed a minimum 40 hr / wk employment for periods of no less than 1 year duration's at the skill level of their chosing.
Many homeless are completely incapable of doing anything productive.

Therefore nobody in their right mind is going to hire them.

Therefore your solution is impractical and impossible.

But you keep smoking that pipe and having those pipe dreams.

Booyah.

Helping them to become employable is the solution.
Why is that a pipedream?

Many are mentally ill and/or have intellectual disabilities

You can still do menial physical labor ... many of those are the exception and not the rule. Many of these folks choose to live this way. They have no interest in work, they just want to live with their fellow junkies on the streets and stay high.....

if proven to be homeless they should be guaranteed a minimum 40 hr / wk employment for periods of no less than 1 year duration's at the skill level of their chosing.
Many homeless are completely incapable of doing anything productive.

Therefore nobody in their right mind is going to hire them.

Therefore your solution is impractical and impossible.

But you keep smoking that pipe and having those pipe dreams.

Booyah.

Helping them to become employable is the solution.
Why is that a pipedream?

Many are mentally ill and/or have intellectual disabilities

You can still do menial physical labor ... many of those are the exception and not the rule. Many of these folks choose to live this way. They have no interest in work, they just want to live with their fellow junkies on the streets and stay high.....

Very few choose to live this way. Different populations have different needs. You can be employed and still not afford housing. Hence, the push for affordable housing. What is the waiting list in your city or town for housing?

No, many can't do menial physical labor. Unless you plan to stay right behind them every step of the way and at that point why even bother.

If you have someone that is severely mentally ill, they need medication. Meds as a rule are not being handed out for free. It takes months to get them medication- if you can find an organization willing to work with you. Depending on the meds needed they may even work against you. It takes months for them to stabilize. That is if you can get them to take it on a regular basis. These are not an "exception". They are the rule. At a minimum 1/3 of the population has an untreated severe mental illness.

A lot of these people don't qualify for these programs. Many places will not hire you if you have no address. If you are homeless it is very possible that what ever paperwork you have will be stolen multiple times. There are states where you cannot even acquire an ID if you live in a shelter. That is a vicious cycle. There is also a push in many areas for storage lockers.

Many of these people don't stay in shelters because you will get whatever illness someone else has and you can be assaulted.

Last edited:
Like I said before I saw a lot of down and out people over the years. Being in charge of the maintenance of 80% of a state's rest areas for years I met a lot of people from all walks of life. The problem of the truly poor, the homeless and the working poor has grown since I semi retired in 1995.

As someone who deals with homeless on a daily basis, here are my limited but personal observations. Many homeless, when offered the services of homeless shelters, will refuse them. Most of the homeless I meet are substance addicted and/or have mental instabilities. Some, preferring hospitals to homeless shelters, will present themselves to police in late evening and claim to be suicidal or intent on harming others so police are forced to arrest them and submit them to medical authorities for examination. This typically happens after midnight so the hospitals are forced to keep them until morning.

I wish there was an easy solution for this, but there isn't.
One type of homeless shelter is called the jail.

If they won't go voluntarily they can be rounded up and sent involuntarily.

I work in an area where there is a homeless assistance building and I pass it every day. They get their daily needs and then hang out in the park. No attempt to even try to pull it together. Put the to work for the city doing whatever they can, like cleaning police cars or something.

What daily needs do they get?

Food, clothing, not sure if they get a shower or not... but there is ample free water everywhere... public bathrooms etc. They get stuff people give away... bikes, backpacks (we are near a college), I have seem some that own dogs. WTF?
Bonzi these people have a right to own a dog. I can't imagine being without one for both the protection and companionship, especially if I had to live on the streets. I actually slept in the car with the dog last fall in the KC area while attempting to re-established some artwork clientele down there (ironically there is a guy down there in the KC area that owes Rod and I thousands of dollars but he's is too busy lining his own pockets and partying to pay what he owes. I told him he'd become nothing more than a common thief in my mind when he attempted to pull another sob story on why he had not sent money and why equipment Rod had bought and left with him to sell in 2008 was sold but the money was he got for the equipment never sent to us and now he made some other bogus bs claims on a contract agreement we had...etc...< this type of crap is going down with a lot of people who should be paying a price but their time in judgment hasn't arrived yet so they remain comfy for the moment).

I again met a lot of different people just in that short period of time in KC. One lady offered me a place to stay with her daughter and son-in-law (she owned the house from what she said) and if nothing else I could use the bathroom facilities and wash clothes as needed. She told me where some of the homeless people had breakfast etc.. every morning. I did not take her up on the offer even though she seemed like a nice lady as I am kind of leery of people I do not know in a strange area. As a female I have been exceedingly cautious my entire adult life of strangers and after a very disturbing incident that happened at a family friend's house I am even leery of people known by family members. The hotel where I used to always stay and trade out work and pay employee rates had changed their policies so I could not afford the $100.00 a night for lodging in a safer area down there. I stayed in a church parking lot after getting permission from the people in the church as I know the police patrol regularly in that little town in the middle of the KC metro.

I can't imagine totally being in a position where I would need to find an area to live in a tent. Who knows as in the one video the young man stated it could happen to anyone at any time as nothing is for certain in this world. Back in 1995 I would have never imagined that the lawless would be able to do what they did to our finances and personal property here. If I had to find a place without having this place we own for the moment (God knows as we don't, the property taxes are tough to pay every year) we would also choose that wooded or open area over a shelter area enclosed with a bunch of whoever's and whatever's. It may disgust other people but they will just have to be disgusted as the ex-colonel says in the one video these homeless people in these tents need to maintain the minimal amount of personal dignity and freedom whether others like it or not.

If the cities or states would take a little initiative and help these people that have established some of these homeless camps that are trying to maintain some civilities it would be much more human and cheaper in the long run. If you watch the videos you should be able to come to that conclusion. Instead they have spent millions upon millions to create areas of entertainment that serves only a few and lines the pockets of even fewer. those women in that one video in Dallas look like they are trying pretty damn hard to maintain some type of decent life for their children will have a chance and the snobs don't want voucher housing in neighborhoods near them? The snobs must be more than willing though to have those children grow up being a bit resentful and possibly worse than that by being raised in shit neighborhoods.

If you have money and ability to humanistically take care of a dog, you can take care of yourself

If you have money and ability to humanistically take care of a dog, you can take care of yourself
They are taking care of themselves the best way they know how whether you like that or not is a different issue. For some of them they wouldn't leave their animals to live under a paid for roof.

They are taking care of themselves the best way they know how whether you like that or not is a different issue. For some of them they wouldn't leave their animals to live under a paid for roof.
We should not have to pay for that decision. We won't agree here for sure...

Or they are strays that adopted humans.

Or they are strays that adopted humans.
Either way they need one another too.

We should not have to pay for that decision. We won't agree here for sure...
We possibly won't agree but there is a lot more to having a dog than just for a pet and I do not think you have a full understanding of other peoples problems and issues are and can be, enough to be their judge.

Like I said before I saw a lot of down and out people over the years. Being in charge of the maintenance of 80% of a state's rest areas for years I met a lot of people from all walks of life. The problem of the truly poor, the homeless and the working poor has grown since I semi retired in 1995.

It's massive. I think there is this concept that there are all these programs out there but in reality there are few and what you can find is often in large metropolitan areas and many of those are inadequate. And full.

It's massive. I think there is this concept that there are all these programs out there but in reality there are few and what you can find is often in large metropolitan areas and many of those are inadequate. And full.
We had a guy come here last year to tell us we needed to get a homeless guy off our property up in Van Wert. We know the person (homeless guy well). He is a drug addict and a mess of a person. We tried helping him as Rod grew up with him. My patience with the guy ran out long before Rod's and he has caused a lot of problems for us over the years due to his resentment of Rod but I wouldn't kick him off of a vacant lot when he is living in a tent trying to survive. I ignored the city guy's plea to kick the guy off the property or tell the sheriff to have him removed from our property. So the city somehow transferred our property to someone else. Which they may have done anyhow because they are assholes too that have been trying to steal this property for years by rook or crook and they have also costs us thousands over the years.

Not all homeless people are druggies and they have varying issues whatever those may be that need to be considered. For some it may be a low iq, others it may a physiological issue that has been left undiagnosed, some simply refuse to go along with the programming this society throws out there at them. Personally there are a lot of things I would not do to make a living if I even suspected it was unethical, immoral or simply did not feel right about doing that job for whatever reason it may be.

We had a guy come here last year to tell us we needed to get a homeless guy off our property up in Van Wert. We know the person (homeless guy well). He is a drug addict and a mess of a person. We tried helping him as Rod grew up with him. My patience with the guy ran out long before Rod's and he has caused a lot of problems for us over the years due to his resentment of Rod but I wouldn't kick him off of a vacant lot when he is living in a tent trying to survive. I ignored the city guy's plea to kick the guy off the property or tell the sheriff to have him removed from our property. So the city somehow transferred our property to someone else. Which they may have done anyhow because they are assholes too that have been trying to steal this property for years by rook or crook and they have also costs us thousands over the years.

Not all homeless people are druggies and they have varying issues whatever those may be that need to be considered. For some it may be a low iq, others it may a physiological issue that has been left undiagnosed, some simply refuse to go along with the programming this society throws out there at them. Personally there are a lot of things I would not do to make a living if I even suspected it was unethical, immoral or simply did not feel right about doing that job for whatever reason it may be.

Nope, not all of these folks use drugs or drink. I ran into FXS which is hereditary. One guy was best described as missing part of his brain. His parents also were intellectually disabled. His siblings were intellectually disabled. So, there is no freaking support system. Anywhere.

It takes all kinds.

Nope, not all of these folks use drugs or drink. I ran into FXS which is hereditary. One guy was best described as missing part of his brain. His parents also were intellectually disabled. His siblings were intellectually disabled. So, there is no freaking support system. Anywhere.

It takes all kinds.
The Intellectually disabled shouldn't be allowed to have kids.

It takes all kinds.
The Intellectually disabled shouldn't be allowed to have kids.

And yet they do. I ran into that about six years ago. I knew about it only through someone that had known this family forever. It was like a shift in the universe. It was a whole different way of looking at people. I went from surely you have peeps to oh-never-mind.

Last edited:
Systems should be in place to weed out the people taking advantage of the system.
I think many are doing well enough they are not really motivated to progress, because of the assistance they get.

I would say this is more of the norm, not the exception.

Systems should be in place to weed out the people taking advantage of the system.
I think many are doing well enough they are not really motivated to progress, because of the assistance they get.

I would say this is more of the norm, not the exception.

Based on what?

Are you aware of what mechanisms are in place now? Is the little homeless program you spoke of earlier a part of your local government (unlikely) or is it a day center?

Forum List

Back