🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Some Patients Refuse to See Doctors of Different Race

I can understand why a white woman would be reluctant to let a black male doctor examine her.

Why?

Mandingo

mandingo2on1.jpg

Saw that movie at the drive in eons ago. Starred Ken Norton. Second rate actor. Third rate heavyweight.

Known for getting knocked out by the "real guys"......lol.

I prefer a male doctor over a female doctor

I prefer a Doctor in his40s to early 50s whose first language is English.

I recently had to find a new GP and did a meet and greet with 7 or 8 doctors. I passed on the ones with real heavy accents and finally found one I liked.

preferences and not bigotry

It is of utmost importance that one like and get along with, as well as be able to fully communicate with a primary care doctor and NP

Last edited:
I speak a little Spanish and am currently using the Rosetta Stone Italian course because we might be taking a trip to Tuscany this fall. But I am not fluent by any measure.

Do you think that an accent indicates poor communication skills or the inability to understand each other?

No. But a heavy accent has a effect on communication. I don't like to have to ask a doctor to repeat himself because of an accent.

And For those who American English is not a first language there are always some issues with idioms and vernacular and subtleties are missed by those for whom English is a second language.

When i go to a Doctor I am there for one thing; my health. I am proactive in that area and if there is any impediment to communication and understanding then I avoid it.

Hell If I were practicing medicine in France and I had only been speaking French for a few years I would understand if someone would choose a native Frenchmen for a Dr.

Have you considered that you might be choosing a less skilled and/or experienced doctor just because of this trepidation?

The title says different race but i bet most of the complaints involve negro race. Neither black nor white patients want an affirmative action baby attending them.

LOL, thanks for the laugh!!! What an ignorant statement. :lol:
I'm all in favor of people making their own personal choice as to who they want to take care of them. If it's not available due to all of that "affirmative action", then they are free to go somewhere else and get treatment.

I can understand why a white woman would be reluctant to let a black male doctor examine her.

LOL, I bet you would be more reluctant because of certain "fears" and "jealousy" you probably have about Black men and White women getting to know each other. Thanks for the LAUGH!!! :lol:

years ago i had a black Dr. in Butler, PA

I liked the guy. He was competent, was responsive and had a sense of humor.

but then he was an uncle tom and did not hate all white people like all the non-racists on this board

Saw that movie at the drive in eons ago. Starred Ken Norton. Second rate actor. Third rate heavyweight.

When I was a little kid I snuck down stairs and watched that movie when my parents were watching it on HBO. Boy did I get an education!! :lol: That's probably why guys like SJ have such fears.
Black men like to think all white women want to be with them, which probably explains why they think they have the right to rape them. As for my "fears", that's a fantasy of your's. Most white women I've seen with black men are fat and dumpy dogs. The ones white guys don't want.

years ago i had a black Dr. in Butler, PA

I liked the guy. He was competent, was responsive and had a sense of humor.

HAHAHA. Only a liberal would call that evidence!

Hey, I am browsing from the cell while rocking the kid.

Did ya have links above to class rankings of black doctors? Or even better recovery or survival times with white vs black doctors?

When I tore my ACL I had some revovery / back to work, and repair stats on different practices. I do not recall race being mentioned anywhere though.

When I was a little kid I snuck down stairs and watched that movie when my parents were watching it on HBO. Boy did I get an education!! :lol: That's probably why guys like SJ have such fears.

Im sure after that movie part that Norton crept into the psyche of quite a few insecure guys who were gone from home working the night shift...

Im sure after that movie part that Norton crept into the psyche of quite a few insecure guys who were gone from home working the night shift...
Then they must be married to the wrong woman.

Being African American, I have no problem with any colored doctor. Even if I was white, I would not care what color or race they are. If they can fix me up, so be it. I see no color when it comes to health, I see a skilled person who can help me. The patients that refuse doctors due to skin color and race are very foolish.

Some people would actually allow themselves to die than get an organ from a non white person. Like if someone needed a new organ for whatever reason, they want to have confirmation that it came from a white person. If it wasn't they refuse it. Humanity really needs to start accepting one another and stop with these stupid generalizations and lies about people like the media keeps making it out to be.

I can't understand people wanting a different doctor because you can't understand the doctor you are given. For people who have hearing problems, such as myself, having a doctor whose first language isn't English can be difficult.
I try to see a doctor I know can speak good English, so I can understand them. I know many doctors may speak with strong accents and be amazing doctors, but sometimes, the language barrier is an issue.

I would never refuse to see a doctor based solely on the color of their skin.

Do you think that an accent indicates poor communication skills or the inability to understand each other?

No. But a heavy accent has a effect on communication. I don't like to have to ask a doctor to repeat himself because of an accent.

And For those who American English is not a first language there are always some issues with idioms and vernacular and subtleties are missed by those for whom English is a second language.

When i go to a Doctor I am there for one thing; my health. I am proactive in that area and if there is any impediment to communication and understanding then I avoid it.

Hell If I were practicing medicine in France and I had only been speaking French for a few years I would understand if someone would choose a native Frenchmen for a Dr.

Have you considered that you might be choosing a less skilled and/or experienced doctor just because of this trepidation?

As I said I'm not equating skill or intelligence with one's proficiency in English. I don't assume someone with a heavy accent is a poor physician and I certainly don't assume one is a competent physician because he is American.

I check doctor's references regardless of skin color or accent. I also check where the doctor went to school and has privileges. I ask the doctor why they chose their specialty. I want a person who I can communicate with.

I once had a doctor who told me I had "muscles like a black man". Sitting perplexed, I asked what that meant. He was Korean and attempted to explained the best he could...his English was poor and my Korean was nil. I liked him nonetheless.

Forum List

Back