South Dakota Lawmaker Says Businesses Should Be Allowed To Ban Colored People

So a sitting South Dakota lawmaker recently voiced his belief that businesses should be able to discriminate against people of color. Obviously this guy saw the recent Supreme Court ruling as a green light to go full racist -- and more and more openly racist/bigoted people are feeling more embolden to run for office (mainly as Republicans).

so my question is -- How many people here wish the Civil Rights bill was never passed?

Because essentially, to try to argue that businesses should be allowed to discriminate on the basis of race is saying you are against the Civil Rights Act.

From the article:
In an interview with the Leader, Clark said he believed that business owners should be able to turn away certain customers if they would otherwise violate their religious beliefs.

"If it’s truly his strongly based belief, he should be able to turn them away," Clark told the Leader. "People shouldn’t be able to use their minority status to bully a business."

It's stunning to me that an elected state lawmaker- no matter what the state - can be so ignorant as to not know what the Civil Rights Act is and does.

Yeah conservatives are really feeling their racism now aren't they? They see a real opportunity to put their ideas of oppressing all non-white non-straight minorities across the board. It's ok, Hitler had his heyday too. The only question is how much damage will need to be fixed afterwards.

If there is a business owner who actually doesn't want certain people, based on skin color, in their business, I want to know who and where they are, so that I don't give them my business. I also want to know who would patronize such a place, for future reference.

So yeah, go ahead and do that, and advertise it.
The thing is, there was a time not so long ago when businesses openly advertised WHITES ONLY, and it not only did them no harm, they actually thrived.

We do not want to go backwards.
I think the best way to marginalize these cockroaches is to shine a light on them. It ain't pretty, it ain't easy, but it's better than letting them fester. It's partially what gave us TRUMP.
What gave us Trump should inform you that we could easily return to the days of Whites Only lunch counters, and that such businesses would thrive again.
I doubt it. When in doubt, I always defer to freedom of expression.

I want to know how the crazies are, and who agrees with them.

Why? Are you going to boycott them? Call them racists? Do anything?

You know who the racists are here at USMB. What have you done to help them evolve?

So a sitting South Dakota lawmaker recently voiced his belief that businesses should be able to discriminate against people of color. Obviously this guy saw the recent Supreme Court ruling as a green light to go full racist -- and more and more openly racist/bigoted people are feeling more embolden to run for office (mainly as Republicans).

so my question is -- How many people here wish the Civil Rights bill was never passed?

Because essentially, to try to argue that businesses should be allowed to discriminate on the basis of race is saying you are against the Civil Rights Act.

From the article:
In an interview with the Leader, Clark said he believed that business owners should be able to turn away certain customers if they would otherwise violate their religious beliefs.

"If it’s truly his strongly based belief, he should be able to turn them away," Clark told the Leader. "People shouldn’t be able to use their minority status to bully a business."

It's stunning to me that an elected state lawmaker- no matter what the state - can be so ignorant as to not know what the Civil Rights Act is and does.

Yeah conservatives are really feeling their racism now aren't they? They see a real opportunity to put their ideas of oppressing all non-white non-straight minorities across the board. It's ok, Hitler had his heyday too. The only question is how much damage will need to be fixed afterwards.
Really, and how are we trying to oppress non white, non straight minorities?

If there is a business owner who actually doesn't want certain people, based on skin color, in their business, I want to know who and where they are, so that I don't give them my business. I also want to know who would patronize such a place, for future reference.

The thing is, there was a time not so long ago when businesses openly advertised WHITES ONLY, and it not only did them no harm, they actually thrived.

I think the best way to marginalize these cockroaches is to shine a light on them. It ain't pretty, it ain't easy, but it's better than letting them fester. It's partially what gave us TRUMP.
What gave us Trump should inform you that we could easily return to the days of Whites Only lunch counters, and that such businesses would thrive again.

Most businesses care about only their bottom line and would not want such bad publicity anyways. Very few businesses (and no large businesses with shareholders) are going to be discriminating against anyone. That would be bad for business in today's day and age.

That doesn't excuse or negate the fact that a small amount of businesses would if they could.

Those are more likely to be in rural areas where there's no other business for the discriminated person to go to.

What are they supposed to do?

From the article:

Yes, a right to turn non-paying customers away is one we have. At least if you aren't starbucks that is.

From the article:

The law is not allowing them to have their heads, yet. There is no Hitler here. Just a tubby old fart who prefers very wealthy white folks. The jackals won't win.

Most businesses care about only their bottom line and would not want such bad publicity anyways. Very few businesses (and no large businesses with shareholders) are going to be discriminating against anyone. That would be bad for business in today's day and age.

That doesn't excuse or negate the fact that a small amount of businesses would if they could.

Those are more likely to be in rural areas where there's no other business for the discriminated person to go to.

This is the year 2018. To say they wouldn't have any other place to shop at even in a rural area is pretty naive.

Individuals and businesses should have the right to discriminate.
The government shouldnt be able to discriminate against anyone.
I don't understand why the distinction.
Because the government is public sector. The private sector is ran by individuals and owned by individuals.
I see. Yet if discrimination is alright with you for individuals, I don't see why it wouldn't also be alright with you for the government, which makes the laws.

This is the year 2018. To say they wouldn't have any other place to shop at even in a rural area is pretty naive.
We drive 90 miles to the nearest bakery if we don't know someone who makes them privately. We're used to it.

That's a perfect use of a public accommodation law. If they can jump in the car and get a product or service from a non-bigot three minutes away, that's one thing. If they can't, that's another.

The fact of the matter is that most businesses do not want ANY bad publicity, and they want to make money, and they don't care if you are black, white, yellow, green or purple as long as you choose to spend your money at THEIR business. And most bigger businesses are owned by shareholders who could be any color or any sex or hold any sexual preference and they wouldn't even have a way of knowing! Most bigger business have managers and employees, and most of the shareholders/owners are not even physically present. Business models are COMPLETELY different nowadays than they were back in the 40s and 50s and probably even 60s.

Besides that, most American citizens are NOT racists and do not want to discriminate against people. That is a small minority of the population here in 2018.

I doubt it. When in doubt, I always defer to freedom of expression.

I want to know how the crazies are, and who agrees with them.

Why? Are you going to boycott them? Call them racists? Do anything?

You know who the racists are here at USMB. What have you done to help them evolve?
By all means, have at it. Best of luck.

The fact of the matter is that most businesses do not want ANY bad publicity, and they want to make money, and they don't care if you are black, white, yellow, green or purple as long as you choose to spend your money at THEIR business. And most bigger businesses are owned by shareholders who could be any color or any sex or hold any sexual preference and they wouldn't even have a way of knowing! Most bigger business have managers and employees, and most of the shareholders/owners are not even physically present. Business models are COMPLETELY different nowadays than they were back in the 40s and 50s and probably even 60s.

Besides that, most American citizens are NOT racists and do not want to discriminate against people. That is a small minority of the population here in 2018.
Why do they seem to be all crowding onto USMB?

Why do they seem to be all crowding onto USMB?

Because it is a political messageboard on the internet that tends to attract more extremist views.

Because the government is public sector. The private sector is ran by individuals and owned by individuals.
I see. Yet if discrimination is alright with you for individuals, I don't see why it wouldn't also be alright with you for the government, which makes the laws.
The lawmaker in the OP's article is an individual. Yet he is in government. So is he within his rights to offer a racist opinion on behalf of his individual constituents?

We drive 90 miles to the nearest bakery if we don't know someone who makes them privately. We're used to it.

What if instead of a bakery -- its a doctor?

The people I see who are usually disinterested about the idea of businesses discriminating against people are usually people who don't belong to those historically oppressed demographics -- so its easy for those people to be dismissive about it...

Ironically, those are the same people clutching their pearls and crying they are being persecuted when Starbucks put Happy Holidays on their cups.

Privilege usually does that to a person

Thats precisely why, OL. They are the govt. They work for us. They shouldnt be discriminating against us.
If you still dont understand the difference, you dont "see" ;)

Forum List

Back