STATE COMPARES CHRISTIAN BAKER TO NAZIS

Gays can just buy a cake or donuts and call it a wedding cake or wedding donuts. Buy a cake. It will be put in a box right out of the display case. Problem solved.

The bakery in Persian Square has no problem telling gays they don't make wedding cakes. I was there when a gay couple made their demand. The couple just couldn't do it.
I hope then that they didn't actually make wedding cakes. If they did and that was me, I'd rename the shop I won in court Everybody's Bakery, gays welcome.

Actually they do make wedding cakes and made the cake for the wedding of my Iranian friends. It is just not advertised and takes a personal appeal. It is not a service available to the general public.

There's no restraining order in effect. It's exactly what happened when the two lesbians lost their case against me after I admitted that I in fact did paint commissioned art.

Could be. Now, we have the flip side, do we not? Homosexuals forcing people to follow their beliefs and using law to justify their actions.

Be careful who you "back". They could be the modern day version of slavers and Nazi's.

Mark

You meant to say 'demanding the same rights as the rest of us enjoy'.

In the context of this thread, they are pushing their "rights" onto someone else.

Nope. My analogy is correct.

Mark

Not if the law requires them to bake the frikken cake and not if the law does not state 'except gays'.

The state should not be in the business of trying to force the law to have one right trump another.

This is easily done. Simply say that each side has their own right and move on.

Mark

Saying you disagree with a law does not negate that law.

Don't like the law? Work to change it.

Meanwhile, no one has the "right" to decide which laws they will abide by and which they won't.

All of the above is, of course, dependent on what the law actually states.

I can have an opinion without a law change. If we couldn't, then gay rights wouldn't exist, would they?

Mark

Gays can just buy a cake or donuts and call it a wedding cake or wedding donuts. Buy a cake. It will be put in a box right out of the display case. Problem solved.

The bakery in Persian Square has no problem telling gays they don't make wedding cakes. I was there when a gay couple made their demand. The couple just couldn't do it.
I hope then that they didn't actually make wedding cakes. If they did and that was me, I'd rename the shop I won in court Everybody's Bakery, gays welcome.

Actually they do make wedding cakes and made the cake for the wedding of my Iranian friends. It is just not advertised and takes a personal appeal. It is not a service available to the general public.

There's no restraining order in effect. It's exactly what happened when the two lesbians lost their case against me after I admitted that I in fact did paint commissioned art.
At least you are making the lawyers happy.

No right should trump any other right.

Mark

Huh. What does that mean as applied to this case?

The right for gays to marry does not trump the right of a person to practice his religion. Matter of fact the baker is doing NOTHING to stop the gays from their rights, but they sure as hell are trying to stop him from practicing his rights.

Mark

Could be. Now, we have the flip side, do we not? Homosexuals forcing people to follow their beliefs and using law to justify their actions.

Be careful who you "back". They could be the modern day version of slavers and Nazi's.

Mark

In the context of this thread, they are pushing their "rights" onto someone else.

Mark

Not if the law requires them to bake the frikken cake and not if the law does not state 'except gays'.

The state should not be in the business of trying to force the law to have one right trump another.

Mark

So....'we don't serve black folks at this lunch counter' is perfectly legit in your estimation?

I'm not sure. I am leaning toward freedom for everyone. If you don't want to serve blacks, maybe you should be allowed not to do so.

Mark

Is there any doubt that Nazis and Slavers professed to be Christian and used that to justify their actions?

Mark

By forcing businesses working in the public sector to not discriminate against them for being that way? Not quite the same thing as forcing a belief on someone.

Since when does "business" invalidate a right? If a person has a right to freedom of religion, he has the right to exercise those beliefs in his day to day life.

He is not infringing on a gay couple by not baking them a cake, but they ARE infringing on his rights by using the force of law to compel him to bake one.

I see only one side here acting like the "Nazi's" people are claiming to see, and it isn't the baker.

Mark

So based on religion, what laws couldn't you ignore?

If a situation can be addressed by allowing BOTH rights, I don't see a problem. IOW's I can turn this around. I can say, "so, based on gay rights, what other rights would you ignore"?

Mark

No lawyers were happy. The gay guy handling the case for the lesbians lost and got nothing on his contingency. I took care of my own business. It was merely a enjoyable hobby. I already knew the outcome.

link?

Mark

The right for gays to marry does not trump the right of a person to practice his religion. Matter of fact the baker is doing NOTHING to stop the gays from their rights, but they sure as hell are trying to stop him from practicing his rights.
Baking wedding cakes is serving Profit, not God. A business is not a church, it's not that hard to understand, and that debate was settled decades ago.

Mark

Mark

So....'we don't serve black folks at this lunch counter' is perfectly legit in your estimation?

I'm not sure. I am leaning toward freedom for everyone. If you don't want to serve blacks, maybe you should be allowed not to do so.

Mark

If you don't want blacks in your restaurant don't open a restaurant. Open a catering company instead and limit your advertising.

Is there any doubt that Nazis and Slavers professed to be Christian and used that to justify their actions?

Mark

By forcing businesses working in the public sector to not discriminate against them for being that way? Not quite the same thing as forcing a belief on someone.

Since when does "business" invalidate a right? If a person has a right to freedom of religion, he has the right to exercise those beliefs in his day to day life.

He is not infringing on a gay couple by not baking them a cake, but they ARE infringing on his rights by using the force of law to compel him to bake one.

I see only one side here acting like the "Nazi's" people are claiming to see, and it isn't the baker.

Mark

Since they passed the anti-discrimination law. Yes, he is discriminating against them by refusing to bake them a cake simply because it will be used in a "Gay Wedding". They are not forcing their belief on him either.

Personally I'd never trust that baker (don't piss off your waiter).

The baker was never called or compared to a Nazi.

And? That "anti-discrimination law" cannot Constitutionally be valid if it try's to supersede other rights.

Mark

No lawyers were happy. The gay guy handling the case for the lesbians lost and got nothing on his contingency. I took care of my own business. It was merely a enjoyable hobby. I already knew the outcome.
Pride goeth... Carry on.

Mark

Mark

Mark

If you don't want blacks in your restaurant don't open a restaurant. Open a catering company instead and limit your advertising.
Even that won't do it. Your best option, don't open a business since they are required to follow Man's laws, not God's.

Bake the damn cake and pray to Jesus on Sundays. Baking cakes is about serving a profit, not serving God.

Your opinion does not make a rule. There are some that think that their entire life should be religious based, not just their private life. And the Constitution says they can.

Mark

Mark

Baking wedding cakes is serving Profit, not God. A business is not a church, it's not that hard to understand, and that debate was settled decades ago.

The debate settled decades ago never mentioned sin. It did cover race, gender, etc.

This is a new ball game.

Mark

Bake the damn cake and pray to Jesus on Sundays. Baking cakes is about serving a profit, not serving God.
Your opinion does not make a rule. There are some that think that their entire life should be religious based, not just their private life. And the Constitution says they can.
Running a business couldn't be further away from living a religious life. If you wish to serve Jesus then do, but making a profit has nothing at all to do with serving him, and he said so. Come and be fishes of men. The business they left behind with dad and the boat.

Do it our way or you will be punished.

Ironic, given the thread title.

Capitalism is regulated. So sad for you I guess.

This is not a question of capitalism, but religion. And again, you cannot demand anyone to give up their rights just for the privilege of being allowed the freedom to open a business.

And, FTR, you should hope it never happens.

Mark

Forum List

Back