Supreme Court upholds Obamacare subsidies

To be fair, in the past, the SCOTUS has never been willing to overturn an "entrenched law." So there is precedent.

Oh right, that's why they left all the VRA in place. NOT!

Right, Texas. The SCOTUS has never displayed a consistent history of overturning "entrenched laws." Believe it or not, Obamacare has been a law for 6 years, and is firmly entrenched in our healthcare system. I'm not defending it. In fact this was the last thing I wanted to wake up to, but I'm simply stating reality.

Other than those cases involving patently unconstitutional "entrenched laws" the rest of them have not been overturned.

So is this the end of the road for any more challenges to the ACA? Another question will GOP Presidential challengers be putting forward alternatives to the ACA or will they clarify what they want to change. Its all well and good having a problem with something but surely unless you can put forward viable alternatives then your argument loses some of its validity. As an onlooker from afar I'm still trying to get my head around why ACA has been so divisive, surely anything that expands health coverage and covers existing conditions can only help Americans. Am I missing something? Putting peoples politics aside and viewing this just objectively what exactly are the big problems with the ACA?
I can answer that.

The process of enrollment and reenrollment has issues that need to be addressed surrounding the applied tax credit assessment, verification, and 1095-A form accuracy.

Providers in red states are apprehensive to accept Obamacare plans, some for political reasons, and some for financial reasons, so the lower cost the plan, the narrower the provider network will be,

Those are the two biggest headaches for Obamacare policy holders

Thanks for your reply. Am I right in thinking that there are parts of the ACA that the majority of Americans support. So is it a case that the sensible thing for any future POTUS would be to tweek the ACA rather than get rid of it completely. Surely coverage of pre existing conditions cannot be removed now, morally that would be dreadful and inhumane.
The "things that Americans support" have little affect on reality for Obamacare policy holders.

Pre-existing condistions cannot be put back in place. It would be political suicide for those who do.

Here is the problem with any changes to Obamacare, which the SCOTUS has prevented.

The ACA has metastasized itself to our industry, you cannot dust off the old systems, policies, procedures, and hire everybody back, who left the industry, and left behind $10.hr customer service people. Those jobs went to the Phillipines and Mexico.

Chaging the way we do business for the ACA has been so traumatic, if they pulled the plug it would be cutting off the head, to cure the headache

Of course you can get them back. According to the left. Those employees were all absorbed by all of the major hospitals and are living happily ever after as worker bees never feeling the crunch of unemployment.

When is your delusional mind going to accept the fact that there are no national issues, only State issues and federal issues. The Constitution was supposed to draw very distinct lines between the two. Welcome to post-constitutional America.
Last time I checked we had something called National Security, or did you miss that part of reality, like most of the rest? Public Health is a national issue, period.

Commie concepts, we know, you love'em.
Reality tends toward the left, so sad for you...

So sad for all of us.
Not at all. If would would stop banging your head against the walls of reality it wouldn't hurt so much. The world doesn't spin backwards, only forwards...

Simple movement does not necessarily indicate progress.

Last time I checked we had something called National Security, or did you miss that part of reality, like most of the rest? Public Health is a national issue, period.

So sad for all of us.
Not at all. If would would stop banging your head against the walls of reality it wouldn't hurt so much. The world doesn't spin backwards, only forwards...

That's correct, but you want to go backwards, which is not a good thing.

This country is over when the supreme court makes decisions based on politics and political correctness rather than on the law and constitution.

We are going down the tubes and the libs are celebrating the demise of this great nation. Its truly sad.
Republicans are in charge of Congress and SCOTUS. They should fix things.

Clearly NOT the SCOTUS, and being in charge of Congress is meaningless when SCOTUS chooses to ignore the law.

Which law was ignored?

They interpreted the law. That is their job

Uhhh, no. Their job is to rule on what the law actually says, not what someone believes it should have said. Words have meanings. Laws are made of words and it is important that the laws say what they mean and mean what they say. If SCOTUS did their job of ruling on what the law actually said, then they would have found that subsidies couldn't be given. They instead bought into the administration's "oopsie", we didn't really mean what we said and that isn't their job. The correct answer was," your law does not match your intent. You are free to fix it. Until then, follow the law the way you wrote it."

To be fair, in the past, the SCOTUS has never been willing to overturn an "entrenched law." So there is precedent.

Oh right, that's why they left all the VRA in place. NOT!

Right, Texas. The SCOTUS has never displayed a consistent history of overturning "entrenched laws." Believe it or not, Obamacare has been a law for 6 years, and is firmly entrenched in our healthcare system. I'm not defending it. In fact this was the last thing I wanted to wake up to, but I'm simply stating reality.

Entrenched for 6 years, yet not fully in effect, something doesn't compute here.

IF Republicans are so damn opposed to the hated word "Subsidies", why do they need to give them to Oil Companies?

Because oil companies don't receive subsidies. Farmer receive them though.

Semantics pure and simple. The Oil Companies receive over Three Billion Dollars ($3,000,000,000.00) a year in U.S. Government Funded, U.S. Tax Payer Supported Subsidies each year. RePugs have to date refused to end those Subsidies.

IF Republicans are so damn opposed to the hated word "Subsidies", why do they need to give them to Oil Companies?

Because oil companies don't receive subsidies. Farmer receive them though.
On what planet? That's certainly not true on this one. Fossil Fuel Subsidies Overview - Oil Change InternationalOil Change International

There you go again. Using those pesky facts....you know Conservatives HATE facts.

It interfers with their somewhat limited and very questionable thought process.

Any bets that the existing State exchanges will disappear within two years?
Good, they aren't necessary. Health Care is a national issue. You know, One Nation Under God right?

When is your delusional mind going to accept the fact that there are no national issues, only State issues and federal issues. The Constitution was supposed to draw very distinct lines between the two. Welcome to post-constitutional America.

WHY IS IT MY RESPONSIBILITY TO KEEP YOU AND YOURS HEALTHY?

WHY IS THE PARASITIC MANIFESTO PROTECTED BY "NATIONAL SECURITY"??

OH , I TOTALLY FORGOT, THE PARASITES ARE NOW THE MAJORITY SO THEY GET TO DEFINE NATIONAL SECURITY.

Infants think only of themselves, hence you. The grownups can see that other people matter too...

IF OTHER PEOPLE MATTER , YOU STUPID SON OF BITCH, THEN WHY DON'T YOU BUY HEALTH INSURANCE FOR YOURSELF AND YOUR FOLKS

WHY DO YOU LEAVE IT TO TAXPAYERS TO TAKE CARE OF YOU?

IF HEALTH CARE IS IMPORTANT WHY THE FUCK DO YOU LET THE GOVERNMENT CONTROL IT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

The Prog victory dance is a temporary thang.

There is a big silver lining for conservatives: they don't have to hold their noses and bail out Obama for entrapping 6M people in ScobamaCare. Those 6M people may be grateful; but many time more than that are incredibly unhappy with ScobamaCare.

Yeah, keep those Obamacare doom-and-gloom predictions coming. They've panned out so well so far....

Wait till it fully kicks in come 2017, politics have forced your dear leader to delay the worst of it, it will come back to bite.

Yep. That's when prices go up big time.

So sad for all of us.

Really, you didn't mind Gurber doing it.

This country is over when the supreme court makes decisions based on politics and political correctness rather than on the law and constitution.

We are going down the tubes and the libs are celebrating the demise of this great nation. Its truly sad.
Republicans are in charge of Congress and SCOTUS. They should fix things.

Clearly NOT the SCOTUS, and being in charge of Congress is meaningless when SCOTUS chooses to ignore the law.
SCOTUS is clearly conservative, but W is probably kicking his own ass for making Roberts the chief justice.

Roberts is still a conservative. But not necessarily a social conservative on all issues

I don't see what in conservatism says you can't support a healthcare law.

Conservatism doesn't say you can't support a healthcare law. Conservatism does say that you need to enforce laws the way they are written. Otherwise, why should a cop pull you over for doing 50 in a 25 MPH zone. Hell, the sign with the 25 has a 5 in it and so does 50, so surely the intent was 50. See what SCOTUS had to do to get to their support today? "Feeling" the law isn't their job.

A couple of key statements in the majority opinion:

"Congress made the guaranteed issue and community rating requirements applicable in every State in the Nation, but those requirements only work when combined with the coverage requirement and tax credits. It thus stands to reason that Congress meant for those provisions to apply in every State as well."

And the second premise they used was pure intellectual dishonesty: they found the language to be "ambiguous" and that it should be interpreted in a way "that is compatible with the rest of the law."

I'm sitting here reading the opinion and laughing. What I read was "don't worry Obama, we got your back on this one."

So sad for all of us.

Really, you didn't mind Gurber doing it.
You mean retracting the truth he spoke? Yep, not big on that, ever. Make your case and move on but Americans hate to be told the truth, about anything...

This was a no-win situation.

The supes rule the other way, we're stuck with utter chaos and a Republican party that has its head up its ass.

The supes rule this way, we're stuck with this bureaucratic pig and $6,000 deductibles for people who don't have $6,000.

Just another massive blown opportunity, just drop it on the top of the stack.

This was a no-win situation.

The supes rule the other way, we're stuck with utter chaos and a Republican party that has its head up its ass.

The supes rule this way, we're stuck with this bureaucratic pig and $6,000 deductibles for people who don't have $6,000.

Just another massive blown opportunity, just drop it on the top of the stack.

The fix is Universal Single-Payer, which the US isn't ready for.

Forum List

Back