Ten Gun Myths and Memes-- Shot Down

so i checked with my cousin to, she said she didn't have to register either, and she owns a gun

I can care less if your boyfriend registers.

so i guess registering for the selective service has absolutely nothing at all to do with gun ownership and you are just talking out your ass as usual.

I never said registering for the selective service has anything to do with gun ownership. But it does remain the accepted definition that the "unorganized federal militia" represents all draft eligible individuals who can be called upon by the federal government to defend the country when necessary.

I can care less if your boyfriend registers.

so i guess registering for the selective service has absolutely nothing at all to do with gun ownership and you are just talking out your ass as usual.

I never said registering for the selective service has anything to do with gun ownership. But it does remain the accepted definition that the "unorganized federal militia" represents all draft eligible individuals who can be called upon by the federal government to defend the country when necessary.

One more time a militia member is required to supply their own weapon, selective service has absolutely nothing to do with the militia

One more time a militia member is required to supply their own weapon, selective service has absolutely nothing to do with the militia

Forget it. Big Fucking Goober has nothing intelligent to say here. Or anywhere. He is the classic "low information" poster on this site.

Anyone who has studied the constitution knows that all able bodied men between the ages of 18 and 45 constitute the militia. The selective service draft age cut-off is 28. There is no connection between the selective service and the militia.

Not to mention that a few would shoot themselves in the leg!

My brother, who is a certified gun nut and NRA worshiper, did exactly that, while practicing his fast draw. Fortunately, it was only a 22. He was doing pretty good, when he would draw, aim, and fire, but at some point he go mixed up and fired, drew and aimed, in that order.

If your brother is a "certified gun nut and NRA worshiper" he would know better than too quick draw with live ammo, so I call bullshit.

You would think so, wouldn't you? :eusa_drool:

My brother, who is a certified gun nut and NRA worshiper, did exactly that, while practicing his fast draw. Fortunately, it was only a 22. He was doing pretty good, when he would draw, aim, and fire, but at some point he go mixed up and fired, drew and aimed, in that order.

If your brother is a "certified gun nut and NRA worshiper" he would know better than too quick draw with live ammo, so I call bullshit.

You would think so, wouldn't you? :eusa_drool:

Actually I'd believe it, some people do some stupid things, when I took my CHL class they showed a cop giving a class to some school kids. He no sooner said he was the only one in the room qualified to handle his glock when he commenced to shoot himself in the foot.

Anyone who has studied the constitution knows that all able bodied men between the ages of 18 and 45 constitute the militia. The selective service draft age cut-off is 28. There is no connection between the selective service and the militia.

Put up your cowboy hat, run along and play paintball! I wouldn't mind sending a few welts your way.

184108_454378317962010_1293925485_n.jpg

Thanks Bfgrn, for ignoring Federalist Number 28.

From the Federalist Number 28, direct quote:

If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government, and which against the usurpations of the national rulers, may be exerted with infinitely better prospect of success than against those of the rulers of an individual state. In a single state, if the persons intrusted with supreme power become usurpers, the different parcels, subdivisions, or districts of which it consists, having no distinct government in each, can take no regular measures for defense. The citizens must rush tumultuously to arms, without concert, without system, without resource; except in their courage and despair. The usurpers, clothed with the forms of legal authority, can too often crush the opposition in embryo. The smaller the extent of the territory, the more difficult will it be for the people to form a regular or systematic plan of opposition, and the more easy will it be to defeat their early efforts. Intelligence can be more speedily obtained of their preparations and movements, and the military force in the possession of the usurpers can be more rapidly directed against the part where the opposition has begun. In this situation there must be a peculiar coincidence of circumstances to insure success to the popular resistance.

The smoke is being parted, like God parted the Red Sea.

Too Big to Fail, will Fail.

LOL...Hamilton in Federalist 28 is making an argument for national army in peace time.

Federalist 28 continues the discussion of standing armies in peace time with the admission that there may be times when a national government will be required to use force to suppress seditions and insurrections. If disturbances are small and contained within a portion of a State then State militias can quell the violence. However, as shown in Massachusetts and Pennsylvania when the insurrection pervades the whole state it becomes necessary for the State to raise troops to restore order. Logically then if the insurrection pervades an extent larger than a State a national force would be required to restore peace. Even critics opposing a standing national army in peace time must admit “there might sometimes be a necessity to make use of a force constituted differently from the militia to preserve the peace of the community and to maintain the just authority of the laws against those violent invasions of them which amount to insurrections and rebellions”.

- See more at: Federalist Papers Summary No. 28

Hi, I plugged my internet back in.

Btw, Only morons who ant to be deluded at this point will believe your argument. What part of

NATURAL RIGHT OF SELF DEFENSE

do you not understand?

He believes this natural right of self defense against tyranny is God given, regardless of any circumstance or conditions surrounding it.

At this point, let the viewers privately choose their own interpretation.

Patriots/Constituionalists THIS WAY
Redcoats/Loyalists THAT WAY

Also, your own link proved you wrong:
Independent of all other reasoning the safeguard against the use of a national army against the people is because the power of the proposed government is in the hands of the representatives of the people. If the representatives betray the people then the only recourse left is self defense where the people take up arms against the national force. But the people would be in a better position if the extent of the hostilities included a large region of the country for that would give opportunity to organize and mobilize a united force rather than in a single State where the battle may be over before the people are aware of it. State legislatures would quickly become aware of a national intrusion and alarm the people. The result of these arguments is that the people would be better able to defend themselves against a national army usurping power than an army raised by a State and the national army under control of the representatives from the entire country would be less likely to endanger the people, therefore the critics are wrong in resisting a national army in peace time.

Last edited:
• Myth #5: Keeping a gun at home makes you safer.
Fact-check: Owning a gun has been linked to higher risks of homicide, suicide, and accidental death by gun.
• For every time a gun is used in self-defense in the home, there are 7 assaults or murders, 11 suicide attempts, and 4 accidents involving guns in or around a home...​

I can definitely relate to this one. In the past I'd make these claims to people about owning guns. The statistical likely hood that you're more likely to kill yourself or be killed by your own gun than by an unknown person with a gun.

Family member of mine recently became a statistic. Gun enthusiast and quite well trained with them too(was trained police officer)... but all it takes is the pull of a trigger with a gun to end your life, when you're having bad thoughts or under the effects of certain medications.

:(

I guess we shouldn't worry about serial killers and other regular murderers... what with all the more important, more numerically superior non-violent causes of death out there.

When faced with a problem, it's always a wise idea is it not to compare that problem with a much larger problem in terms of pure numbers alone, and disregard the aforementioned problem?

What a way to think...

OK, you boast a vast knowledge of our Constitution. Please provide where it says in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights "all able bodied men between the ages of 18 and 45 constitute the militia"?

• Myth #5: Keeping a gun at home makes you safer.
Fact-check: Owning a gun has been linked to higher risks of homicide, suicide, and accidental death by gun.
• For every time a gun is used in self-defense in the home, there are 7 assaults or murders, 11 suicide attempts, and 4 accidents involving guns in or around a home...​

I can definitely relate to this one. In the past I'd make these claims to people about owning guns. The statistical likely hood that you're more likely to kill yourself or be killed by your own gun than by an unknown person with a gun.

Family member of mine recently became a statistic. Gun enthusiast and quite well trained with them too(was trained police officer)... but all it takes is the pull of a trigger with a gun to end your life, when you're having bad thoughts or under the effects of certain medications.

:(

I'm sure that was the gun's fault.

OK, you boast a vast knowledge of our Constitution. Please provide where it says in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights "all able bodied men between the ages of 18 and 45 constitute the militia"?

U.S. Code Title 10 Subtitle A Part I Chapter 13 § 311
§311. Militia: composition and classes
(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
(b) The classes of the militia are-
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.
(Aug. 10, 1956, ch. 1041, 70A Stat. 14; Pub. L. 85–861, §1(7), Sept. 2, 1958, 72 Stat. 1439; Pub. L. 103–160, div. A, title V, §524(a), Nov. 30, 1993, 107 Stat. 1656.)
10 USC 311: Militia: composition and classes

Thanks Bfgrn, for ignoring Federalist Number 28.

From the Federalist Number 28, direct quote:

The smoke is being parted, like God parted the Red Sea.

Too Big to Fail, will Fail.

LOL...Hamilton in Federalist 28 is making an argument for national army in peace time.

Federalist 28 continues the discussion of standing armies in peace time with the admission that there may be times when a national government will be required to use force to suppress seditions and insurrections. If disturbances are small and contained within a portion of a State then State militias can quell the violence. However, as shown in Massachusetts and Pennsylvania when the insurrection pervades the whole state it becomes necessary for the State to raise troops to restore order. Logically then if the insurrection pervades an extent larger than a State a national force would be required to restore peace. Even critics opposing a standing national army in peace time must admit “there might sometimes be a necessity to make use of a force constituted differently from the militia to preserve the peace of the community and to maintain the just authority of the laws against those violent invasions of them which amount to insurrections and rebellions”.

- See more at: Federalist Papers Summary No. 28

Hi, I plugged my internet back in.

Btw, Only morons who ant to be deluded at this point will believe your argument. What part of

NATURAL RIGHT OF SELF DEFENSE

do you not understand?

He believes this natural right of self defense against tyranny is God given, regardless of any circumstance or conditions surrounding it.

At this point, let the viewers privately choose their own interpretation.

Patriots/Constituionalists THIS WAY
Redcoats/Loyalists THAT WAY

Also, your own link proved you wrong:
Independent of all other reasoning the safeguard against the use of a national army against the people is because the power of the proposed government is in the hands of the representatives of the people. If the representatives betray the people then the only recourse left is self defense where the people take up arms against the national force. But the people would be in a better position if the extent of the hostilities included a large region of the country for that would give opportunity to organize and mobilize a united force rather than in a single State where the battle may be over before the people are aware of it. State legislatures would quickly become aware of a national intrusion and alarm the people. The result of these arguments is that the people would be better able to defend themselves against a national army usurping power than an army raised by a State and the national army under control of the representatives from the entire country would be less likely to endanger the people, therefore the critics are wrong in resisting a national army in peace time.

Reading without reflecting is like eating without digesting.
Edmund Burke

Your emotions are out of control. It is time to think, not emote.

You seem to lack even a basic knowledge of the purpose of the Federalist Papers. So let's start at the beginning. Please tell me what the Federalist Papers were? Why were they written? What was it that Hamilton, Madison and Jay were arguing FOR in the Federalist Papers?

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.
(Aug. 10, 1956, ch. 1041, 70A Stat. 14; Pub. L. 85–861, §1(7), Sept. 2, 1958, 72 Stat. 1439; Pub. L. 103–160, div. A, title V, §524(a), Nov. 30, 1993, 107 Stat. 1656.)

THAT is in the Constitution?

So Codes and laws aren't part of the law of the land?

So Codes and laws aren't part of the law of the land?

That is not the question. PaulS1950 said:
"Anyone who has studied the constitution knows that all able bodied men between the ages of 18 and 45 constitute the militia. The selective service draft age cut-off is 28. There is no connection between the selective service and the militia."

So SHOW ME where in the CONSTITUTION it says: ""all able bodied men between the ages of 18 and 45 constitute the militia"?"

Forum List

Back