Ten Gun Myths and Memes-- Shot Down

THAT is in the Constitution?
So Codes and laws aren't part of the law of the land?

That is not the question. PaulS1950 said:
"Anyone who has studied the constitution knows that all able bodied men between the ages of 18 and 45 constitute the militia. The selective service draft age cut-off is 28. There is no connection between the selective service and the militia."

So SHOW ME where in the CONSTITUTION it says: ""all able bodied men between the ages of 18 and 45 constitute the militia"?"

But codes and laws are part of the law of the land which also is the U.S. Constitution.

So Codes and laws aren't part of the law of the land?

"Anyone who has studied the constitution knows that all able bodied men between the ages of 18 and 45 constitute the militia. The selective service draft age cut-off is 28. There is no connection between the selective service and the militia."

So SHOW ME where in the CONSTITUTION it says: ""all able bodied men between the ages of 18 and 45 constitute the militia"?"

But codes and laws are part of the law of the land which also is the U.S. Constitution.

Why don't you try this novel approach. Just say PaulS1950 is wrong. It was not written in the Constitution, is was written in 1903.

Anyone who has studied the constitution knows that all able bodied men between the ages of 18 and 45 constitute the militia. The selective service draft age cut-off is 28. There is no connection between the selective service and the militia.

OK, you boast a vast knowledge of our Constitution. Please provide where it says in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights "all able bodied men between the ages of 18 and 45 constitute the militia"?

U.S. Code Title 10 Subtitle A Part I Chapter 13 § 311
§311. Militia: composition and classes
(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
(b) The classes of the militia are-
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.
(Aug. 10, 1956, ch. 1041, 70A Stat. 14; Pub. L. 85–861, §1(7), Sept. 2, 1958, 72 Stat. 1439; Pub. L. 103–160, div. A, title V, §524(a), Nov. 30, 1993, 107 Stat. 1656.)
10 USC 311: Militia: composition and classes

:eusa_whistle:

• Myth #5: Keeping a gun at home makes you safer.
Fact-check: Owning a gun has been linked to higher risks of homicide, suicide, and accidental death by gun.
• For every time a gun is used in self-defense in the home, there are 7 assaults or murders, 11 suicide attempts, and 4 accidents involving guns in or around a home...​

I can definitely relate to this one. In the past I'd make these claims to people about owning guns. The statistical likely hood that you're more likely to kill yourself or be killed by your own gun than by an unknown person with a gun.

Family member of mine recently became a statistic. Gun enthusiast and quite well trained with them too(was trained police officer)... but all it takes is the pull of a trigger with a gun to end your life, when you're having bad thoughts or under the effects of certain medications.

:(

I'm sure that was the gun's fault.

Never said it was, you fucking idiot.

The point was about the statistics... and also the extreme and sudden finality a gun offers somebody who might not be in the right frame of mind...

The same cannot be said for other methods of suicide.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2013/02/18/mccreadys-death-highlights-role-of-guns-in-suicide/1927815/ said:
While guns are involved in just 5.6% of suicide attempts, they account for 55% of suicide fatalities. That's because 85% of suicide attempts involving guns result in death, making firearms the leading method of suicide in the USA, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In comparison, taking pills results in death in 2% of cases.

If he didn't have a gun, he might not be dead. Especially given the Ambien induced irrational suicidal thoughts, he may not have even attempted any other suicide attempt, but happened to have a gun and so chose to use it on himself in a split moment of thought.

So fuuuuck you dude.

Last edited:

Why don't you try this novel approach. Just say PaulS1950 is wrong. It was not written in the Constitution, is was written in 1903.

No what I will say is that you are wrong and have been wrong from the beginning Is your argument now that codes and laws along with the constitution don't make up the law of the land?

OK, you boast a vast knowledge of our Constitution. Please provide where it says in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights "all able bodied men between the ages of 18 and 45 constitute the militia"?

U.S. Code Title 10 Subtitle A Part I Chapter 13 § 311
§311. Militia: composition and classes
(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
(b) The classes of the militia are-
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.
(Aug. 10, 1956, ch. 1041, 70A Stat. 14; Pub. L. 85–861, §1(7), Sept. 2, 1958, 72 Stat. 1439; Pub. L. 103–160, div. A, title V, §524(a), Nov. 30, 1993, 107 Stat. 1656.)
10 USC 311: Militia: composition and classes

:eusa_whistle:
Keep up please.

I can definitely relate to this one. In the past I'd make these claims to people about owning guns. The statistical likely hood that you're more likely to kill yourself or be killed by your own gun than by an unknown person with a gun.

Family member of mine recently became a statistic. Gun enthusiast and quite well trained with them too(was trained police officer)... but all it takes is the pull of a trigger with a gun to end your life, when you're having bad thoughts or under the effects of certain medications.

:(

The point was about the statistics... and also the extreme and sudden finality a gun offers somebody who might not be in the right frame of mind...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2013/02/18/mccreadys-death-highlights-role-of-guns-in-suicide/1927815/ said:
While guns are involved in just 5.6% of suicide attempts, they account for 55% of suicide fatalities. That's because 85% of suicide attempts involving guns result in death, making firearms the leading method of suicide in the USA, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In comparison, taking pills results in death in 2% of cases.

You cannot blame the gun because someone decided to kill himself. Sorry. It's a no go.

It is funny that people continue to quote "more likely to be used against you" argument. It is a non argument based on erroneous facts. You might as well say homes where toothbrushes are present are far more likely to burn down.

You cannot blame the gun because someone decided to kill himself. Sorry. It's a no go.

It is funny that people continue to quote "more likely to be used against you" argument. It is a non argument based on erroneous facts. You might as well say homes where toothbrushes are present are far more likely to burn down.

How fucking dumb are you? It's not about blaming the gun. It's about fucking acknowledging the role that guns play.

Sorry, but you're absolutely fucking wrong about the statistics I quoted being "erroneous facts." Show me how they are erroneous facts. fact of the matter is, a gun used in a suicide attempt is FAR more likely to succeed than any other method based on statistical data spanning many many years. There's nothing erroneous about that.

With a gun, you can't take back pulling that trigger. With hanging, you can take off the noose before you kick away the stool. With jumping, you can step back from the ledge. With vehicular suicide, you can just not start the car. With pills... you can spit them out or call 9/11 for a stomach pumping.

All it takes with a gun is a simple flexing of the finger. Especially for a gun enthusiast who keeps a loaded gun for self defense. There's so little effort involved. You don't have to be in any right place at the right time. No special planning you have to do in most cases. Just point and give a squeeze of your finger.

And all you want to say and do is cover your ears and go, "BLAH BLAH BLAH DON'T BLAME THE GUN THE GUN DID NOTHING WRONG, THE GUN DIDN'T CONTRIBUTE ANYTHING TO HIS DEATH WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE GUNS!"

Last edited:

How fucking dumb are you? It's not about blaming the gun. It's about fucking acknowledging the role that guns play.

Sorry, but you're absolutely fucking wrong about the statistics I quoted being "erroneous facts." Show me how they are erroneous facts. fact of the matter is, a gun used in a suicide attempt is FAR more likely to succeed than any other method based on statistical data spanning many many years. There's nothing erroneous about that.

You are blaming the gun. Implicitly you suggest that if he hadn't had a gun he would be fine. That's unprovable nonsense.
Guns are efficient at what they do. That's a big flash of the obvious.
The statistics quoted on this include families with a convicted felon, as well as suicides. I dont know about yoj, but I consider suicide to be something people generally have control over. Unlike, say, a home invasion.

No what I will say is that you are wrong and have been wrong from the beginning Is your argument now that codes and laws along with the constitution don't make up the law of the land?

So you choose to use obfuscation instead of honesty. That is your choice.

PaulS1950 SPECIFICALLY said: "Anyone who has studied the constitution knows that all able bodied men between the ages of 18 and 45 constitute the militia"

So it is fair to ask WHERE in the CONSTITUTION it says: "all able bodied men between the ages of 18 and 45 constitute the militia"

PaulS1950 SPECIFICALLY said: "Anyone who has studied the constitution knows that all able bodied men between the ages of 18 and 45 constitute the militia"

So it is fair to ask WHERE in the CONSTITUTION it says: "all able bodied men between the ages of 18 and 45 constitute the militia"

Your question is a red herring and irrelevant. Many things are not in the constitution explicitly. Get an adult to explain it to you.

You are blaming the gun. Implicitly you suggest that if he hadn't had a gun he would be fine. That's unprovable nonsense.
Guns are efficient at what they do. That's a big flash of the obvious.
The statistics quoted on this include families with a convicted felon, as well as suicides. I dont know about yoj, but I consider suicide to be something people generally have control over. Unlike, say, a home invasion.

I didn't say that he would be fine, you fucking insidious liar. I said he could be fine.

People, like my uncle, don't necessarily always have full control over their suicide. My uncle was taking Ambien... causing erratic behavior which his friends tried to get him to go to a hospital for. He was a trained police officer, he was a registered nurse. But something with the way the ambien was affecting his mind lead to a very bad end. I don't and never will know exactly what was going on in his head, because there was no note or anything. Just suicide with a gun while on Ambien.

A lot of factors were involved. The gun was one of them. To think that the gun should not ever even be considered a factor in regards to the end result is willful ignorance on your part.

I'm done talking with your stupid ass on this subject. I come in this thread posting something with personal impact to me and you're right up my asshole trying to dismantle it with your bullshit and protectionism of cold steel over human life.

Last edited:

The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U.S. | Mail Online

Anyone who has studied the constitution knows

You really want too go with this as an argument that he said it was in the Constitution? He didn't say that it was written in the Constitution now did he? That is if you're looking for specifics

Your question is a red herring and irrelevant. Many things are not in the constitution explicitly. Get an adult to explain it to you.

It is not a red herring because PaulS1950 SPECIFICALLY said: "Anyone who has studied the constitution knows that all able bodied men between the ages of 18 and 45 constitute the militia"

So if it is not written in the Constitution, anyone who HAS studied the constitution would NOT know that all able bodied men between the ages of 18 and 45 constitute the militia"

It is not a red herring because PaulS1950 SPECIFICALLY said: "Anyone who has studied the constitution knows that all able bodied men between the ages of 18 and 45 constitute the militia"

So if it is not written in the Constitution, anyone who HAS studied the constitution would NOT know that all able bodied men between the ages of 18 and 45 constitute the militia"

Did he say it was written in the Constitution? That is if you're looking for specifics.

The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U.S. | Mail Online

You really want too go with this as an argument that he said it was in the Constitution? He didn't say that it was written in the Constitution now did he? That is if you're looking for specifics

He most definitely did. He said "Anyone who has studied the constitution knows..."

So study the Constitution and come back and tell me what specific Article and Section states: "all able bodied men between the ages of 18 and 45 constitute the militia"

He most definitely did. He said "Anyone who has studied the constitution knows..."

So study the Constitution and come back and tell me what specific Article and Section states: "all able bodied men between the ages of 18 and 45 constitute the militia"

Your reading skills suck. He did not say it was in the Constitution. The right to privacy is part of the COnstitution but nowhere mentioned. Studying the constitution means more than reading just the words in the document.
You really are hobbled by that 3rd grade education of yours.

You wanted specifics show me specifically where he said that it was written in the Constitution?

Your reading skills suck. He did not say it was in the Constitution. The right to privacy is part of the COnstitution but nowhere mentioned. Studying the constitution means more than reading just the words in the document.
You really are hobbled by that 3rd grade education of yours.

He just got punked by his own game of being specific.:clap2:

Forum List

Back