Terrorism and Privilege: Understanding the Power of Whiteness

White privilege=black paranoia.

When people get to know each other, preconceived notions about race, ethnicity, religion disappear.

Race is an artifice. When it comes down to it, people are just people.

Complaining about abstract concepts of privilege is a masturbatory exercise.

Ironically, skin color is the one thing blacks have going for them. It helps them to build a coalition of moochers. If they were white slouches, they couldn't garner gifts based upon false narratives.

Tim Wise » Terrorism and Privilege: Understanding the Power of Whiteness

Now the semantics are being debated if one can be both "white" and "Muslim". The two are not "mutually exclusive".

OK Poet if you want to play this game.

How many uncles of NONWHITE terrorists came out in the media and asked for forgiveness and offered to ask the families himself personally, and demanded the nephew take PERSONAL responsibility for his crimes?

How do you know that taking this level of responsibility INDIVIDUALLY isn't linked to being raised WHITE, where the linear family line carries weight of authority and responsibility, and the "social responsibility" isn't spread out over the collective identity like the "village mentality" where blaming racism on color masks taking individual responsibility?

Did you see any families of other terrorists stating in public that their sons SHAMED THEIR FAMILIES AND COUNTRY. Was this due to culture or color? What else was different in this case? Was it that the media focused on the uncle because he is a White American, while the apologetic mother of the 9/11 terrorist was a foreign woman, so nobody focused on her?

Personally I thought it was because there were fewer people involved, so people could identify and follow them BY NAME that made the difference. But if you are saying race is a major factor, please be sure to include both the good sides of that equally not just the bad.

WTF??? If you only could make sense, I could answer. And I don't play games...least of all with people (and I use the term "loosely) I don't know.

OK let me try again
1. how do you know these terrorists are not treated differently because the family especially the uncle are making personal statement in the media about taking PERSONAL responsibility that are helping to humanize the issue and see people as individuals
2. how do you know the white culture or race of the family isn't an influencing factor making a positive difference in the perception of taking individual responsibility
so people don't go on a profiling scare

is that more clear?
1. how do you know there aren't other factors besides race making this difference
2. and if there are other factors, such as taking personal individual responsibility,
what if this is connected with the race or perception of race as positive factors
making a difference in how the public responds

if not, JakeS can you please help out?
Can you spell out for Poet what I'm asking here, more to the point? Thanks!!

And here we have it....the apologist and political correctness gone wild comes out again.
Let's ignore the fact that hundreds and hundreds of terrorist attacks world-wide and concentrate on a handful and say there is no connection because of it. That we should ignore 99.8% of reality to favor the .2% of exception.
Damn.

Apologist and political correctness gone wild? Sorry, you will have to break that down for me.
I don't see anything Poet has written that puts him in either category!

Moving on: Who is ignoring the fact that hundreds and hundreds of terrorist attacks are taking place world-wide? Not Poet! His op focuses on domestic terrorism committed by white perps and the effect or non effect on whites in America. That is the topic! If you want to discuss other acts of terrorism not related to this topic there are dozens of other threads that will accommodate you.

That's what they're called. Or would you rather persist with the misnomer of serial killers?

That's what YOU call it.

Rudolph and McVeigh definitely had a political and religious agenda.

The book's still out on Loughner.

McVeigh, the son of a democratic union member would be influenced by the teachings of his father.

No, a character like McVeigh would be more inclined to rebel against the teachings of his father.

Dear Poet: Does subjecting entire neighborhood sections of Watertown to searches under threat of force without warrants count as a form of "profiling" -- these people were "singled out" due to proximity to the area, not because of any association they had or might have had with the bombers or bombing either. Does this count as people suffering from profiling regardless of the perceived race of the terrorists?

"White privilege is knowing that even if the Boston Marathon bomber turns out to be white, his or her identity will not result in white folks generally being singled out for suspicion by law enforcement, or the TSA, or the FBI.

Now the semantics are being debated if one can be both "white" and "Muslim". The two are not "mutually exclusive".

Poet is a racist

No, actually not. Me, pointing out "white privilege" and double standards in America, does not translate to racism on my part. I understand how you might feel that way, though. Rarely, if ever, have you confronted a black man, let alone a gay black man, who would stand up to criticism from white Neanderthals, who spend their time swilling beer at wet t-shirt contests, to oblivion, thinking that they own the world, and everyone else should bow down before them, because in their pea-sized brains, they believe they represent the best and the brightest in America.
A) You're a retarded reject, resting on your "white privilege" to see you through.
B) You didn't do well in school, by virtue of the fact that your commentary is reduced to "one-liners", which any 6th grader could come up with.
3) You think your avatar is sexy
4) You couldn't out-think a bag of rocks.
Now that we've cleared that up, you can resume your regular programming.

What makes you a racist is that you are only pointing out one race, never mind about other races

Or if you are going to discuss issues connected to a particular race, do you only focus on the negative angles, or do you balance that with positive aspects, too? Or just focus on the justifications that fit your agenda or argument?

in general, I find the real issue behind complaints of racial, religious or political bias
is that there are unforgiven issues people have, in their own backgrounds or relationship history, and if these are not resolved, the negative perceptions and emotions are "projected" onto others. Then these projections find expression in terms of blaming a group, whether identified by race, religion, party, etc. It is usually caused by a projection of unforgiven issues. Whereas people who are healed of such issues do not see people this way, but tend to see the common struggle of humanity regardless of race or class etc.

Last edited:

When people get to know each other, preconceived notions about race, ethnicity, religion disappear.

Ironically, skin color is the one thing blacks have going for them. It helps them to build a coalition of moochers. If they were white slouches, they couldn't garner gifts based upon false narratives.

LOL. Totally "laughable". A coalition of moochers? How is that not bigoted, and a lie, to boot? White slouchers??? They garner gifts based on false narratives, "daily". What the heck do you think "white privilege" is, or entails? Fiction? Fantasy? Fairy tales? You're exercising "white privilege" as we speak, because you expect to be taken for face value, as correct, knowledgeable, and true, when that simply isn't the case.

Dear Poet: Does subjecting entire neighborhood sections of Watertown to searches under threat of force without warrants count as a form of "profiling" -- these people were "singled out" due to proximity to the area, not because of any association they had or might have had with the bombers or bombing either. Does this count as people suffering from profiling regardless of the perceived race of the terrorists?

"White privilege is knowing that even if the Boston Marathon bomber turns out to be white, his or her identity will not result in white folks generally being singled out for suspicion by law enforcement, or the TSA, or the FBI.

Please. Welcome to my world. How many times have I been stopped for driving or walking, "while black"? And ain't no victimology, but reality. I have zero sympathy.

LOL. Totally "laughable". A coalition of moochers? How is that not bigoted, and a lie, to boot? White slouchers??? They garner gifts based on false narratives, "daily". What the heck do you think "white privilege" is, or entails? Fiction? Fantasy? Fairy tales? You're exercising "white privilege" as we speak, because you expect to be taken for face value, as correct, knowledgeable, and true, when that simply isn't the case.

It's not bigoted at all. If we're gonna have a racial discussion then we need to call it how we see it.

LOL @ the idea that white privilege implies intellectual superiority as a given. If I were racist like you want to pretend; I'd actually agree with that. But that's not what I'm saying and you know it.

It's not bigoted at all. If we're gonna have a racial discussion then we need to call it how we see it.

LOL @ the idea that white privilege implies intellectual superiority as a given. If I were racist like you want to pretend; I'd actually agree with that. But that's not what I'm saying and you know it.

Well, Sparky, you'll have to prove that your comment, "a coalition of moochers" wasn't bigoted or racist, because you didn't distinguish between individuals but "blanket indicted" a whole race....the definition of racist and bigoted.
"Call it how we see it"???? Sounds like more 'white privilege" to me. How about calling it the way it is, and not how "you" see it? Forgive me if I don't trust your eyes.
And are you a moron, or what? White privilege, in no way, implies "intellectual superiority".
It implies "manipulating the system", so that it gives you (white people) a 'clear', unfair (and undeserved) advantage, based on your skin color. Exactly what some of you claim affirmative action does to "whites". The difference being "white privilege" tips the scales in your favor...from a "level" playing field, and affirmative action tips the scales to "balanced" from an "unleveled" playing field.
I have no idea what you're trying to say, as you contradict and misrepresent, constantly, as you have in this very post.

^^^

Please. If I had the intelligence that I have and black skin, there would be so many open doors for me due to affirmative action. Don't lecture me about fair.

Perhaps, you should stop playing the victim and walk through some doors. Or does a little hard work scare you?

And absolutely, there is a moocher class. I break it down to a mindset that anyone can have. But clearly, blacks are infected with it at much higher levels. And why? Because people give them shit. If that gravy train dried up, they would change their tune quickly.

Truth is, Democrats want you to stay down. They want you to see them as heroes who are helping you out. Really, they are perpetuating poverty and ignorance.

No, actually not. Me, pointing out "white privilege" and double standards in America, does not translate to racism on my part. I understand how you might feel that way, though. Rarely, if ever, have you confronted a black man, let alone a gay black man, who would stand up to criticism from white Neanderthals, who spend their time swilling beer at wet t-shirt contests, to oblivion, thinking that they own the world, and everyone else should bow down before them, because in their pea-sized brains, they believe they represent the best and the brightest in America.
A) You're a retarded reject, resting on your "white privilege" to see you through.
B) You didn't do well in school, by virtue of the fact that your commentary is reduced to "one-liners", which any 6th grader could come up with.
3) You think your avatar is sexy
4) You couldn't out-think a bag of rocks.
Now that we've cleared that up, you can resume your regular programming.

What makes you a racist is that you are only pointing out one race, never mind about other races

Or if you are going to discuss issues connected to a particular race, do you only focus on the negative angles, or do you balance that with positive aspects, too? Or just focus on the justifications that fit your agenda or argument?

in general, I find the real issue behind complaints of racial, religious or political bias
is that there are unforgiven issues people have, in their own backgrounds or relationship history, and if these are not resolved, the negative perceptions and emotions are "projected" onto others. Then these projections find expression in terms of blaming a group, whether identified by race, religion, party, etc. It is usually caused by a projection of unforgiven issues. Whereas people who are healed of such issues do not see people this way, but tend to see the common struggle of humanity regardless of race or class etc.

No, honey, it doesn't. I'm addressing, actually, the negative mindsets in this forum, and often, in the country, at-large. Make no mistake, ideology and beliefs, are at the core of my contention, having nothing to do with race, per se. I "side with", admire, socialize with, and share ideologies and beliefs with many white liberals. I believe them to be inherently "good" and well-meaning. I don't believe that of "white conservatives" (and Republicans), whom I believe to be largely, racist, bigoted, heartless, self-serving, and often, downright "evil". I, in fact, believe most white Americans fall on the liberal side, if only by their commitment to decency, fair play, tolerance, and everyone's right to pursue the American Dream. Did you get that?????? Most White Americans.
The aforementioned "misfits" are but a fraction of White America....as the last election proved. They liken themselves to represent the core of White America, with their hate and hypocrisy. They are not. Most white Americans are peaceful, loving, tolerant and sane. Did you get that? Because I'm lied upon, constantly, and falsely portrayed as a hard core, black racist. I am not. I don't blanket indict a whole race, as some do here. There are wonderful and admirable white people...just not too many up in here.

No, honey, it doesn't. I'm addressing, actually, the negative mindsets in this forum, and often, in the country, at-large. Make no mistake, ideology and beliefs, are at the core of my contention, having nothing to do with race, per se. I "side with", admire, socialize with, and share ideologies and beliefs with many white liberals. I believe them to be inherently "good" and well-meaning. I don't believe that of "white conservatives" (and Republicans), whom I believe to be largely, racist, bigoted, heartless, self-serving, and often, downright "evil". I, in fact, believe most white Americans fall on the liberal side, if only by their commitment to decency, fair play, tolerance, and everyone's right to pursue the American Dream. Did you get that?????? Most White Americans.
The aforementioned "misfits" are but a fraction of White America....as the last election proved. They liken themselves to represent the core of White America, with their hate and hypocrisy. They are not. Most white Americans are peaceful, loving, tolerant and sane. Did you get that? Because I'm lied upon, constantly, and falsely portrayed as a hard core, black racist. I am not. I don't blanket indict a whole race, as some do here. There are wonderful and admirable white people...just not too many up in here.

In other words, he don't hate all whites just white conservatives.

That would be the same as someone saying they didn't hate all blacks just black liberals.

I don't believe that of "white conservatives" (and Republicans), whom I believe to be largely, racist, bigoted, heartless, self-serving, and often, downright "evil".

We just have to replace white conservatives with Jews and then we'd definitely have something that Hitler would say.

^^^

Please. If I had the intelligence that I have and black skin, there would be so many open doors for me due to affirmative action. Don't lecture me about fair.

Perhaps, you should stop playing the victim and walk through some doors. Or does a little hard work scare you?

And absolutely, there is a moocher class. I break it down to a mindset that anyone can have. But clearly, blacks are infected with it at much higher levels. And why? Because people give them shit. If that gravy train dried up, they would change their tune quickly.

Truth is, Democrats want you to stay down. They want you to see them as heroes who are helping you out. Really, they are perpetuating poverty and ignorance.

I really don't know why I'm still talking to you. But I must admit...I'm running out of patience. How racist and condescending for you to suggest that "if I had the intelligence and black skin....." anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What? That implies, to me, that you couldn't possibly imagine that any black person could possess your intelligence, or more. Hello? Many do...and far exceeding yours.
I have never used or employed affirmative action to get a job or to be admitted to a university....I have rested on my merits, which, evidently are "considerable". Not all blacks (or browns) or women use affirmative action to get ahead, contrary to popular belief.
However, there is this: FOR WHITES ONLY - A Long History of Affirmative Action

And no matter how many times you play the "Poet is a victim" card, there is no truth in it.
I'm not a victim...I'm an activist. And butt kicker. A victim sulks in a corner somewhere, "silent" and afraid. Have you seen that from me? No, you haven't.
Hard work? I worked for approximately 25 years...and "hard". I'm still working, just not for "the man". You don't know what I do, though I've shared it....admit that you don't care. You'd rather, as others here, stereotype, "spin", lie, and pat each other on the back for being able to shoot off "one-liners" and give me my comeuppance, "un-equipped", as you are. Who are you? The Great Gatsby??? You know he is a fictional character...and there is a remake movie coming out about him, portrayed by Leonardo diCaprio. Are you him? I'm inclined to think not. Are you afraid to say who you really are? Or is that yet another example of "white privilege" ("I can be whomever I choose to be...fictional character, dead people, living people, mythological creatures, or human qualities, or even Roman emperors....why? Because I'm white and I said so")?

And yes, indeed, there is a "moocher class", but it is not defined by any one race. There are plenty of "white moochers", and statistics confirm that more whites are on welfare than any other group...and there is no need to qualify it or quantize it by suggesting that the numbers are skewed by percentage of the population of individual groups...another "tactic" you people use to dismiss your unflattering distinction.
And please, if you do no other thing....list all of the shit people give to blacks, that whites aren't getting as well. I can think of no other insult greater than suggesting blacks are on some "Gravy Train". Blacks aren't dogs, and I personally prefer sushi. Give me some sushi...Where the fuck is my sushi and an endless supply of Skyy vodka? That's the free stuff I want. I can take care of the rest.
And please stop with that same ol' tired mantra of "the Democrats just want to keep you down and tethered". I enjoy being a Democrat, because they espouse my beliefs...I'm not down or tethered to anyone or anything but my husband. Yes, I said it.
And no one that I know believes what you say is true.
You're the one kept ignorant and "sheep-like" by the Republican Party. They favor the wealthy, and your stupid ass votes for them. You got any money to speak of? Or, are you like me and everyone else, struggling to get by? What has the Repub Party done for you, lately? Well, I can tell you, The Democratic Party doesn't pay my rent, put food on my table, buy my vodka, pay for my cable tv or internet, put fashionable clothes on my back, and get me through the city from point a to point b. I built that. So what free stuff are you talking about?

I really don't know why I'm still talking to you. But I must admit...I'm running out of patience. How racist and condescending for you to suggest that "if I had the intelligence and black skin....." anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What? That implies, to me, that you couldn't possibly imagine that any black person could possess your intelligence, or more. Hello? Many do...and far exceeding yours.

Your lack of comprehension is staggering. I did not say that I'm smarter than every black person. I stated that black skin would only greatly enhance my potential. The fact that you greatly mis-comprehend such simple matters shows why you are in constant disarray and why you can believe anything that tickles your racism.

'
I'm beginning to think that you're JakeStarkey's 'black' alter ego.

Your response would only make sense if I knew Jake Starkey and his stance. As it stands, I don't. Fail.

Are you sure? He's on your "ignore" list.:tongue:

Apparently...but I don't know him any better than I know you. All I know is he's there because he pissed me off....and you're heading that way, yourself. And you've revealed yourself as "obsessed" with whatever I'm doing. Get yo' life.

White privilege is knowing that even if the bomber turns out to be white, no one will call for whites to be profiled as terrorists as a result, subjected to special screening, or threatened with deportation.
White privilege is knowing that if the bomber turns out to be white, he or she will be viewed as an exception to an otherwise non-white rule, an aberration, an anomaly, and that he or she will be able to join the ranks of pantheon of white people who engage in (or have plotted) politically motivated violence meant to terrorize — and specifically to kill — but whose actions result in the assumption of absolutely nothing about white people generally, or white Christians in particular......And white privilege is knowing that if this bomber turns out to be white, the United States government will not bomb whatever corn field or mountain town or stale suburb from which said bomber came, just to ensure that others like him or her don’t get any ideas. And if he turns out to be a member of the Irish Republican Army we won’t bomb Belfast. And if he’s an Italian American Catholic we won’t bomb the Vatican.
In short, white privilege is the thing that allows you (if you’re white) — and me — to view tragic events like this as merely horrific, and from the perspective of pure and innocent victims, rather than having to wonder, and to look over one’s shoulder, and to ask even if only in hushed tones, whether those we pass on the street might think that somehow we were involved.
It is the source of our unearned innocence and the cause of others’ unjustified oppression.
That is all. And it matters."

Perhaps you could petition the USMB admin to create a Racist Forum and call it the Poet Zone. :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back