the Bible alone

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
I've met alot of people who go to church after church looking for one that teaches the Bible alone. And when they start at the church they go until they find something that seems to be contrary to the bible and then go to the next one. I've had people say to me how they've had a hard time finding a church true to the bible.

I was pondering this and it seems like there is a flaw with this thinking. They can't find a church that teaches the bible alone because this concept is foreign to the bible.

The new testament church was not a bible alone church. The Lord gave the apostles authority to give the gift of the Holy Ghost. That gift allowed all those who receive it to obtain revelation from God and the Spirit of prophecy. Thus it allows them to live off every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.

They didn't have a complete Bible. They looked to those who had been given authority and to direct revelation from God. It was from those revelations that the Apostles wrote the Bible.

The Bible has wisdom from the beginning of man. It contains the revelation and testimony of our forefathers . We would learn much from its daily study. But when we make a claim that Bible alone all there is we cut ourselves off from the possibility of real communication with God. Without that communication its impossible to know God or His Son.

I encourage everyone to ponder this. To read the scriptures and seek the Lord daily. Exercise faith and deny not the gift and power of God in your lives.

I've met alot of people who go to church after church looking for one that teaches the Bible alone. And when they start at the church they go until they find something that seems to be contrary to the bible and then go to the next one. I've had people say to me how they've had a hard time finding a church true to the bible.

I was pondering this and it seems like there is a flaw with this thinking. They can't find a church that teaches the bible alone because this concept is foreign to the bible.

The new testament church was not a bible alone church. The Lord gave the apostles authority to give the gift of the Holy Ghost. That gift allowed all those who receive it to obtain revelation from God and the Spirit of prophecy. Thus it allows them to live off every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.

They didn't have a complete Bible. They looked to those who had been given authority and to direct revelation from God. It was from those revelations that the Apostles wrote the Bible.

The Bible has wisdom from the beginning of man. It contains the revelation and testimony of our forefathers . We would learn much from its daily study. But when we make a claim that Bible alone all there is we cut ourselves off from the possibility of real communication with God. Without that communication its impossible to know God or His Son.

I encourage everyone to ponder this. To read the scriptures and seek the Lord daily. Exercise faith and deny not the gift and power of God in your lives.
I'm still trying to figure out how Noah got Kangaroos and other marsupials from Australia, all the way to his boat and back again afterwards. Can you help?

I'm still trying to figure out how Noah got Kangaroos and other marsupials from Australia, all the way to his boat and back again afterwards. Can you help?

Probably FedEx or UPS.

so where does the kolob stuff fit in?

This is a good way to get yourself brainwashed.

I on the other hand encourage people to first learn Philosophy, and Aquinas' 5 proofs of God.

From there they can then decide which major world religion most appeals to them. In comparative religion, Jesus' "Sermon On The Mount" is normally taken as Christianity's fundamental tenants, as opposed to Judaism, which instead involves quotes from Exodus like "The 10 Commandments".

There is also Buddhism, Confucianism, Shinto, Zen, and Islam, as well as others.

Once you make that major world religion choice, then the next step is to choose a sect within it. Each one contains numerous sects. For example the Muslims have Sunni and Shia. Sunni is Arabian whereas Shia is Persian.

Christianity has Catholicism, Eastern Orthodox, and Protestantism.

Within Protestantism there are hundreds more, including the "Restorationists" which includes your own sect -- the LDS. Not to be confused with LSD however.

It is most likely that Moses (Moshe in Hebrew) adapted this flood story from the Epic Of Gilgamesh which dates back 500 years before Moses in Egypt. Moses would have learned about this from his scribe teachers when he was adopted by the daughter of Pharaoh Of Egypt.

The Bible alone, I'm afraid, would tell a story that is foreign to most Christians.

Read cover to cover, believers would find continuity from Genesis to Revelation, rather than a new covenant between Creator and Creation when Jesus comes and a disruption in the continuity when Revelation begins.

The Bible is more about a Messiah than a Savior. It is more about God gathering His people to establish His kingdom on the earth than it is about Him saving people so that when they die they can go to heaven.

The Bible alone, I'm afraid, would tell a story that is foreign to most Christians.

Read cover to cover, believers would find continuity from Genesis to Revelation, rather than a new covenant between Creator and Creation when Jesus comes and a disruption in the continuity when Revelation begins.

The Bible is more about a Messiah than a Savior. It is more about God gathering His people to establish His kingdom on the earth than it is about Him saving people so that when they die they can go to heaven.
Hebrews and Revelation are 2 books that have long been discredited, starting with Eusebius.

These two books are frauds.

If you take them seriously you have not done much study.

Hebrews and Revelation are 2 books that have long been discredited, starting with Eusebius.

The more I consider Revelation, the more seriously I take it, and the more admiration I have for the Kingdom of heaven on the earth, i.e., the Christian Church.

CS Lewis wrote about this in The Screwtape Letters, and he was very insightful.

"You mentioned casually in your last letter that the patient has continued to attend one church, and one only, since he was converted, and that his not wholly pleased with it. May I ask what you are about? Why have I no report on the causes of his fidelity to the parish church? Do you realize that unless it is due to indifference it is a very bad thing? Surely you know that if a man can't be cured of churchgoing, the next best thing is to send him all over the neighbourhood looking for a church that "suits" him until he becomes a taster of connoisseur of churches.

The reasons are obvious. In the first place the parochial organisation should always be attacked, because, being a unity of place and not of likings, it brings people of different classes and psychology together in the kind of unity the Enemy desires. The congregational principle, on the other hand,makes each church into a kind of club, and finally, if all goes well, into a coterie or faction. in the second place, the search for a "suitable" church makes the man a critic where the Enemy wants him to be a pupil. What He wants of the layman in church is an attitutde which may, indeed, by critical in the sense of rejecting what is false and unhelpful, but which is is wholly uncritical in the sense that it does not appraise - does not waste time in thinking about what it rejects, but lays itself open in uncommenting humble receptivity to any nourishment that is going."

The purpose of church is to make us better Christians and bring us into a closer personal relationship with God. It does this by bringing us into contact with a wide variety of other believers, so that we can hear and learn from their experiences, insights, and revelations about the everday application of Christianity to their lives. The teachings of the Bible MUST be the direct underpinning of all the insights, but the false belief that you should not talk about and learn from things outside the Bible that have grown from the Bible is just one of the ways that Christians are led into behaviors and attitudes that shut them off from any learning and growth.

Any sermon, by definition, is going to be about expanded thinking on the themes of the Bible. If that isn't allowed, then it merely becomes a blank reading of the text, which can be gotten from listening to an audiobook at home and doesn't really do much for you.

jesus did not fulfill the messianic prophecies.
Jesus did not embody the personal qualifications of the Messiah.
Biblical verses "referring" to Jesus are mistranslations.
Jewish belief is based on national revelation.

Why Jews Don't Believe In Jesus

It is most likely that Moses (Moshe in Hebrew) adapted this flood story from the Epic Of Gilgamesh which dates back 500 years before Moses in Egypt. Moses would have learned about this from his scribe teachers when he was adopted by the daughter of Pharaoh Of Egypt.
Everyone here so far has said that the bible isn't true. Doesn't anyone believe in the bible anymore?

Everyone here so far has said that the bible isn't true. Doesn't anyone believe in the bible anymore?
Not so. The Bible is quite true.

If you read the N.T. in Greek then you get a pretty good picture. You need to throw away Hebrews and Revelation though.

And when you read the comments of St. Paul you need to recognize that a lot of it is just his opinion -- about hair, women, etc.

The more I consider Revelation, the more seriously I take it, and the more admiration I have for the Kingdom of heaven on the earth, i.e., the Christian Church.
That's just fine because it is a fiction written by a "John" who was not one of Jesus' disciples during Jesus' lifetime. It was another creative writer sometime in the 3rd Century A.D.

...The Bible is quite true.
The hand of Gawd did not reach down from Heaven and write it.

People did. And people make mistakes.
You set an excellent example.

Can you pull from my quote where I said That God wrote the Bible?
You sound like a Protestant.

They all think Gawd wrote the Bible in English with pen and ink.
I hear they call you yochipsahoy. What you put into other people's mouths isn't always so chocolatey sweet.

...The Bible is quite true.
The hand of Gawd did not reach down from Heaven and write it.

People did. And people make mistakes.
You set an excellent example.

Can you pull from my quote where I said That God wrote the Bible?
You sound like a Protestant.

They all think Gawd wrote the Bible in English with pen and ink.
I hear they call you yochipsahoy. What you put into other people's mouths isn't always so chocolatey sweet.
He/she is a nasty lil' thing isn't it. They don't get or comprehend what that which is born of the spirit is capable of.

Forum List

Back