The Flint Water Crisis: An insight into Republicanism.

There is an eerie silence on these boards about the ongoing water scandal in Flint Michigan with good reason. This crisis uncovers a republican tendency to do things that end up being detrimental to their constituents and everyone living near them.

The Snyder administration sparked the chain of events that led to the crisis back in April, 2014 amid a financial downturn. To save money, the decision to switch Flint's water source from Lake Huron to the Flint River was made on the ill fated advise of a state sanctioned emergency manager to Flint.

Noteworthy is the revelation that the Flint River had long had a reputation for being nasty when the state made the switch.. But the burgeoning indifference doesn't stop there. A 2011 study indicated that Flint River water had to be treated with anti- corrosion agents before it could be fit for human consumption. That didn't happen. Therein lies the culpability...the republicans dropped the ball and, either through abject stupidity or indifference, they failed those who put their trust ini them.

There is more. The callousness of these Michigan republicans underlines the inclination of the GOP to put material interests above human interests. Michael Pitt, a member of the law team representing the victims, puts it this way:

"He further lambasted state officials who, he alleged, learned of elevated lead levels in children's blood in 2014 and did nothing."

"They were staring at a public health emergency, and they sat on it for over 10 months," he said, further criticizing leaders who assured residents the water was safe when they knew it wasn't true"..

If what Pitt said is true, there is an element of criminality here.

Although these developments are shocking, I am not surprised by the cold insensitiveness of the Michigan republicans towards the people of Flint. Republicans have been against everything that makes America a better place to live for all classes of Americans. Some of the things republicans have tried to undermine is social security, MEDICARE and, ironically, the EPA. If they had their way there would be NO safety nets and the Great Depression might never have ended. Child labor would still be an ongoing phenomenon.

Given the historical agenda of republicanism...it should be clear that their actions speak louder than their words. If Trump wins, I fear the Flint water crisis gives us a glimpse of things to come. With a GOP congress, and GOP USSC to compliment Trumps in the White House..... be afraid...for nothing you breathe, drink or eat will be safe.

In the past it wasn't so much a problem with Republicans as it has been with the far right wing conservatives who overly rely on the free market and believe that any government is bad for society. This type of Republicanism did not exist under Eisenhower, Nixon, Ford, and even Reagan to a certain extent. This really has developed slowly since Reagan as the far right conservatives have completely taken over the party.

I beg to differ sir. You had Granholm. A Canuck liberal. How has that worked out for you?
That's just the blame game. How can she stop bush sending all our great paying manufacturing jobs overseas because we make too much. That's OK. Then we all make too much. Happy now?
You defend Granholm?:wtf:
Do you blame granholm?
One of the worst governors Michigan has ever had. She doesn't even live here anymore

There is an eerie silence on these boards about the ongoing water scandal in Flint Michigan with good reason. This crisis uncovers a republican tendency to do things that end up being detrimental to their constituents and everyone living near them.

The Snyder administration sparked the chain of events that led to the crisis back in April, 2014 amid a financial downturn. To save money, the decision to switch Flint's water source from Lake Huron to the Flint River was made on the ill fated advise of a state sanctioned emergency manager to Flint.

Noteworthy is the revelation that the Flint River had long had a reputation for being nasty when the state made the switch.. But the burgeoning indifference doesn't stop there. A 2011 study indicated that Flint River water had to be treated with anti- corrosion agents before it could be fit for human consumption. That didn't happen. Therein lies the culpability...the republicans dropped the ball and, either through abject stupidity or indifference, they failed those who put their trust ini them.

There is more. The callousness of these Michigan republicans underlines the inclination of the GOP to put material interests above human interests. Michael Pitt, a member of the law team representing the victims, puts it this way:

"He further lambasted state officials who, he alleged, learned of elevated lead levels in children's blood in 2014 and did nothing."

"They were staring at a public health emergency, and they sat on it for over 10 months," he said, further criticizing leaders who assured residents the water was safe when they knew it wasn't true"..

Although these developments are shocking, I am not surprised by the cold insensitiveness of the Michigan republicans towards the people of Flint. Republicans have been against everything that makes America a better place to live for all classes of Americans. Some of the things republicans have tried to undermine is social security, MEDICARE and, ironically, the EPA. If they had their way there would be NO safety nets and the Great Depression might never have ended. Child labor would still be an ongoing phenomenon.

Given the historical agenda of republicanism...it should be clear that their actions speak louder than their words. If Trump wins, I fear the Flint water crisis gives us a glimpse of things to come. With a GOP congress, and GOP USSC to compliment Trumps in the White House..... be afraid...for nothing you breathe, drink or eat will be safe.

In the past it wasn't so much a problem with Republicans as it has been with the far right wing conservatives who overly rely on the free market and believe that any government is bad for society. This type of Republicanism did not exist under Eisenhower, Nixon, Ford, and even Reagan to a certain extent. This really has developed slowly since Reagan as the far right conservatives have completely taken over the party.

Republicans have nothing to do with Detroit..

That may be a good thing if Detroit hope to retain over watrch of clean water, food and other necessities of life.

If you stop with the politics you would have so many hit the ground running to return. I didn't know one man at Saturn who in a heart beat wouldn't have gone back home if the bloody government had not driven the jobs out of the state.

Wolverines till the day they died.
I don't think you will have to wait too much longer. The auto industry is rebounding...

That may be a good thing if Detroit hope to retain over watch of clean water, food and other necessities of life.
Your post proves you're a dumbass

Welllllll....Deteroit isn't trying to save money by tapping into the Flint River....:lol:

But that could change, now that Snyder has put an EM in charge of Detroit!
Hey moron Detroit had the manger first. its been over now for more than a year where you been:dunno:

I'm going to lay it on the line. I was white working a lot of blues bands and the Mayor said straight out I wasn't welcome. My bands were not welcome. ****** city. Thats all that dude wanted.

Now I went south and not a problem for me but I didnt ever understand that mayor ever. Got my bands to memphis but I really never understood this crazy ass asshole.

Cripes even Barry bailed on him. When Motown leaves Motown you know you have a problem.
Who duggan? Tell me more. What did he say to you and why? You're leaving a lot out

What do you want to know?

I did major bands back then. Ask away.
What mayor told you to beat it? And why?

Coleman told white peoeple to get steppin across 8 mile

I beg to differ sir. You had Granholm. A Canuck liberal. How has that worked out for you?
Soon as her term was over she hightailed it out to Cali ..That bitch

She did all she could do here.

Sounds a lot like Palin only granholm finished her term.

And did you know Cruz and granholm were neighbors? In Canada! Lol

Are you "blown away"?

Im going to have to leave this thread. If they dare suggest liberals and Democrats did this to flint, then you are talking to people so stupid and brainwashed.

This reminds me of how bush lied us into Iraq and they say Democrats voted for it. We remember being conned into that.

So I can't take a non Michigander stupid fucking right wingers blaming poor people in flint when the Republicans completely own this problem. Snyder could even be sued criminally if he knew and did nothing.

I'm in Michigan and a Detroiter. Where you from boy? The reason why Michigan was in a tail spin before the Republicans took over is partly because of too many idiots like you in this state:slap:
We know you probably mean metro Detroit. Lots of whites claim they're from Detroit but they are not.

Or you're one of the hipsters who've moved back down recently.

You certainly didn't live in my neighborhood, unless you are black BC I was the only white in my neighborhood

Southwest Detroit boy Chadsey highschool :thup:
My middle school was in the top ten worst schools in Detroit when we left. My middle school and 9 highschool. Emerson middle school

Are you black? What percent black was your school.

The big 3 hired a lot of blacks from Detroit in the 70s 80's 90's & today. Dan Gilbert has fixed up 1 small part of Detroit. 95% still needs jobs. It's a big place.
I'm Jewish that's a Jew fro...LOL ...My highschool was 75% black. I know Emerson, wasn't that where they sent all the bad kids?..LOL ..Dan Gilbert is buying lots of buildings for rehab He's investing 100s of millions in Detroit :cool:

If I didn't love the wild so much. I've been looking at all the properties and going "I could make a killing". Fine old homes. I just happen to love the wild more.

That may be a good thing if Detroit hope to retain over watch of clean water, food and other necessities of life.

Welllllll....Deteroit isn't trying to save money by tapping into the Flint River....:lol:

How do we even know he didn't poison us?

What attrocity does a Republican have to commit to be considered incompetent negligible and unfit to serve?

The one tough nerd golly geez oh shucks bullshit worked on most but not me.

The sneaky way he passed right to work. He lied when he ran then passed right to work in a lame duck session.

But it served Michiganders right. They either didn't vote or voted for Snyder's. Unions only have themselves to blame.

What? So you really don't know? That's the law. That's how it works.

TREASURY - How a Financial Emergency Works

Directly from the Michigan governments website:

Step Nine: Within 7 days after confirmation of a financial emergency, the governing body of the local government must select one of the following:

Consent Agreement option.
Emergency Manager option.
Neutral Evaluation Process option.
Chapter 9 Bankruptcy option.

Except as otherwise provided in the Act, a local government may not utilize any of the foregoing options more than once. A local government that does not select one of the above options is required to proceed under the Neutral Evaluation Process option.
Now who is laughing moron? :D

Flint picked option 2. They did it. Welcome to reality stupid. How long will you be staying?
Oh, I WILL be around for a long time.... You still didn't produce a link or documentation showing that the local Flint government requested an EM. Now chew on this while I continue snickering:

Flint has been under emergency Management off and on since 2011.

Governor Snyder has changed EMs several times, apparently to negate the 18 month provision after which 2./3 of the local government can oust an EM

The Rachel Maddow show had a town meeting in Flint and nothing on that show indicated the Em was selected by the elected officials of Flint. I got a sense that they felt railroaded into having to accept an EM.

(4) Subject to section 9(6)(c) and (11), unless authorized by the governor, a local government shall not utilize 1 of the local options listed in subsection (1)(a) to (d) more than 1 time.

Nice try; but, like Paul Harvey says, here is the REST of the story: The Michigan Treasurer's ad hoc syllabus doesn't mention the following excerpt form the actual LAW. That being Act # 436 under Enrolled Senate Bill no. 865

Sec. 25. (1) A neutral evaluation process may be utilized as provided for in this act. The state treasurer may, in his or her own discretion, determine that the state monitor the neutral evaluation process initiated by a local government under this section and may identify 1 or more individuals who may attend and observe the neutral evaluation process. A local government shall initiate the neutral evaluation process by providing notice by certified mail of a request for neutral evaluation process to all interested parties.I f the local government does not provide notice under this subsection to all interested parties within 7 days after selecting the neutral evaluation process option, the treasurer may require the local government to go into receivership and proceed under section 9. ( not chapter 9 the bankruptcy option but Section 9(6)(c) of Act#436 = Emergency Management)
https://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2011-2012/publicact/pdf/2012-PA-0436.pdf

I have seen NO documentation showing the local government of Flint chose the EM option or any of the 4 options listed. Nor have I seen documentation outlining how the financial crisis was determined in the first place. If you have such evidence put up and I will acknowledge it. Until then I 'll keep laughing.

I have seen Snyder's correspondence in placing an EM over the all White city of Allen Park MI. It doesnt look like that city opted for an EM either. But they got one!

MLIVE...a local media outlet is a link I used in a previous post to shwo how Snyder and his gang lied and engaged in a cover up. Do you expect anyone with an ounce of objectivity to believe what is posted on a State of Michigan Department website?

Don't make me laugh any more than I already have....
Flint is bankrupt.... Detroit was bankrupt. Now they are coming back. Thanks to Snyder, the EFM and corporate investors. Certainly not any leftist nutjobs and crooked liberals
At what expense? So cheap you give us lead poison?

Oh, and now that he gave all the corporate tax breaks he says we're broke and has to raise our taxes.

One more thing. If corporations are so good at solving all of our problems why did Rick Snyder run to the federal government 4 100 billion dollars and not run to corporations to solve the problem in Flint?

Republicans have been complaining that Obama is a dictator (laugh) but it looks to me like a manmade disaster such as there is in the Flint poisoning doesn't qualify for federal funds
BUT
it also looks to me like Obama is looking for ways to manipulate the federal disaster rules in an attempt to wring some money out of federal funds to help get MI out of a jam.

The last time a state begged Obama for aid for a disaster that didn't qualify for federal funds, Obama found a way to help TX with the manmade West, TX disaster - what's with Republican Governors who complain about Obama, then coming to Obama on bended knee begging for help?

I wonder if Snyder will give Obama a big ol' Christie type hug?

Excerpts below from:
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2016/01/14/snyder-asks-obama-declare-federal-emergency-flint/78831312/

While the president can declare any incident that causes damage beyond the ability of state and local governments to handle as a major disaster, doing so in the case of a man-made public health crisis like the one in Flint would be rare, if not unprecedented

Gov. Rick Snyder has asked President Barack Obama to declare a federal emergency in Flint and expedite $96 million in disaster relief for Genesee County as a result of the city’s lead-contaminated water crisis.

“I have determined that this incident is potentially of such severity and magnitude that effective recovery is beyond the capabilities of the State of Michigan and the affected local governments and that federal relief assistance is necessary,” Snyder wrote in a nine-page letter to Obama that came nine days after he declared a state emergency in the city.

Documents show the Snyder administration’s request includes:

■$54.6 million for the repair of damaged lead service lines on private property.

■$10.3 million for 90 days of water.

■$31 million for a year’s worth of filters and other water supplies.

Obama gave Flint 5 million..He paid Iran 1.5 billion of tax payer money :uhoh3:

Snyder's man made disaster relief needs to be funded by the state of Michigan. He is lucky to get 5 million in federal funds.

Step Nine: Within 7 days after confirmation of a financial emergency, the governing body of the local government must select one of the following:

Except as otherwise provided in the Act, a local government may not utilize any of the foregoing options more than once. A local government that does not select one of the above options is required to proceed under the Neutral Evaluation Process option.

Flint picked option 2. They did it. Welcome to reality stupid. How long will you be staying?
Oh, I WILL be around for a long time.... You still didn't produce a link or documentation showing that the local Flint government requested an EM. Now chew on this while I continue snickering:

Governor Snyder has changed EMs several times, apparently to negate the 18 month provision after which 2./3 of the local government can oust an EM

The Rachel Maddow show had a town meeting in Flint and nothing on that show indicated the Em was selected by the elected officials of Flint. I got a sense that they felt railroaded into having to accept an EM.

(4) Subject to section 9(6)(c) and (11), unless authorized by the governor, a local government shall not utilize 1 of the local options listed in subsection (1)(a) to (d) more than 1 time.

Nice try; but, like Paul Harvey says, here is the REST of the story: The Michigan Treasurer's ad hoc syllabus doesn't mention the following excerpt form the actual LAW. That being Act # 436 under Enrolled Senate Bill no. 865

Sec. 25. (1) A neutral evaluation process may be utilized as provided for in this act. The state treasurer may, in his or her own discretion, determine that the state monitor the neutral evaluation process initiated by a local government under this section and may identify 1 or more individuals who may attend and observe the neutral evaluation process. A local government shall initiate the neutral evaluation process by providing notice by certified mail of a request for neutral evaluation process to all interested parties.I f the local government does not provide notice under this subsection to all interested parties within 7 days after selecting the neutral evaluation process option, the treasurer may require the local government to go into receivership and proceed under section 9. ( not chapter 9 the bankruptcy option but Section 9(6)(c) of Act#436 = Emergency Management)
https://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2011-2012/publicact/pdf/2012-PA-0436.pdf

I have seen NO documentation showing the local government of Flint chose the EM option or any of the 4 options listed. Nor have I seen documentation outlining how the financial crisis was determined in the first place. If you have such evidence put up and I will acknowledge it. Until then I 'll keep laughing.

I have seen Snyder's correspondence in placing an EM over the all White city of Allen Park MI. It doesnt look like that city opted for an EM either. But they got one!

MLIVE...a local media outlet is a link I used in a previous post to shwo how Snyder and his gang lied and engaged in a cover up. Do you expect anyone with an ounce of objectivity to believe what is posted on a State of Michigan Department website?

Flint is bankrupt.... Detroit was bankrupt. Now they are coming back. Thanks to Snyder, the EFM and corporate investors. Certainly not any leftist nutjobs and crooked liberals

Oh, and now that he gave all the corporate tax breaks he says we're broke and has to raise our taxes.

One more thing. If corporations are so good at solving all of our problems why did Rick Snyder run to the federal government 4 100 billion dollars and not run to corporations to solve the problem in Flint?

Republicans have been complaining that Obama is a dictator (laugh) but it looks to me like a manmade disaster such as there is in the Flint poisoning doesn't qualify for federal funds
BUT
it also looks to me like Obama is looking for ways to manipulate the federal disaster rules in an attempt to wring some money out of federal funds to help get MI out of a jam.

The last time a state begged Obama for aid for a disaster that didn't qualify for federal funds, Obama found a way to help TX with the manmade West, TX disaster - what's with Republican Governors who complain about Obama, then coming to Obama on bended knee begging for help?

Excerpts below from:
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2016/01/14/snyder-asks-obama-declare-federal-emergency-flint/78831312/

While the president can declare any incident that causes damage beyond the ability of state and local governments to handle as a major disaster, doing so in the case of a man-made public health crisis like the one in Flint would be rare, if not unprecedented

Gov. Rick Snyder has asked President Barack Obama to declare a federal emergency in Flint and expedite $96 million in disaster relief for Genesee County as a result of the city’s lead-contaminated water crisis.

“I have determined that this incident is potentially of such severity and magnitude that effective recovery is beyond the capabilities of the State of Michigan and the affected local governments and that federal relief assistance is necessary,” Snyder wrote in a nine-page letter to Obama that came nine days after he declared a state emergency in the city.

■$54.6 million for the repair of damaged lead service lines on private property.

Just in case you were not aware, all that money that Iran is getting is Iran's money. We froze those assets, but none the less, those assets belong to Iran. Iran does have some claims against the US that the US will have to pay, but that is because we kept something that wasn't ours as part of the sanctions that were placed against Iran.

BUT

Excerpts below from:

Snyder's man made disaster relief needs to be funded by the state of Michigan. He is lucky to get 5 million in federal funds.

I could not agree more. Make the taxpayers of Michigan eat this. Then they can cry about electing a moron for governor.

Detroit is awesome. Well if you knew it when. When I was hitting my high point in rock Detroit was hitting what they called the Renaissance. It was amazing. You have no idea.

BUT

Excerpts below from:

Get the corporations to solve it! Government can't do anything right, right?

And do what trump would do. Get the corporations to pay for it and they'll thank us

BUT

Excerpts below from:

I could not agree more. Make the taxpayers of Michigan eat this. Then they can cry about electing a moron for governor.

The issue is not about a governor. Not at all. And they know it now.

BUT

Excerpts below from:

Just in case you were not aware, all that money that Iran is getting is Iran's money. We froze those assets, but none the less, those assets belong to Iran. Iran does have some claims against the US that the US will have to pay, but that is because we kept something that wasn't ours as part of the sanctions that were placed against Iran.
Wrong Einstein..Why do you people post ignorance.... interest payment our money

The U.S. State Department announced the government had agreed to pay Iran $1.7 billion to settle a case related to the sale of military equipment prior to the Iranian revolution, according to a statement issued on Sunday.

BUT

Excerpts below from:

You like your Republican governor Toledo boy?

Oh and the latest virus Zika. Man made. A couple of years I went on a wrang attack including messages to all our top talkers over scientists trying to eradicate so called dengue fever.

They genetically modified skeeters. To take out something we had not even faced. NOW we have Zika. I warned Rush at the time. He was all into getting rid of skeeters. Over some stupid shit called Dengue.

Now no pollinaters and now Zika. Lord help us.

Please provide a link to your outrageous assertion that the City Council or Mayor requested an EM or "opted" to have one! I have already debunked that in previous posts so go on, make my day, and post your source....

You can delay your embarrassment if you simply review my posts in this link to see the rebuttal...Save us both time if you did... just sayin'

hey diiot
LOL

The people at the treatment plant were Republicans and didn't know how to treat the water..............LOL

They have no responsibility.............lol
The Flint River had been tapped on previous occasions BEFORE Snyder was governor and before EM was sent to usurp power from the city government but no crisis materialized...WHY NOT? Apparently the democrats treated the water for corrosion before THEY tapped the Flint River temporarily. One more thang...Can I get a witness? :lol:
Im going to have to leave this thread. If they dare suggest liberals and Democrats did this to flint, then you are talking to people so stupid and brainwashed.

This reminds me of how bush lied us into Iraq and they say Democrats voted for it. We remember being conned into that.

So I can't take a non Michigander stupid fucking right wingers blaming poor people in flint when the Republicans completely own this problem. Snyder could even be sued criminally if he knew and did nothing.

I'm in Michigan and a Detroiter. Where you from boy? The reason why Michigan was in a tail spin before the Republicans took over is partly because of too many idiots like you in this state:slap:
Grew up 6 & evergreen. Live on a lake now.

Unions made this state. Spineless ignorant greedy voters like you sent our good paying jobs to china and mexico

Remember Ford had record profits in 1999. My dad got record profit sharing. My kind afford you the luxury to be stupid

An old Jewish neighborhood back in the day now look at it. You people sent our jobs overseas and why do you support unlimited immigration into this country at the expense of American workers?
This doesn't make sense. You say we sent jobs overseas. Why, because we made too much?

But isn't the only thing wrong with the economy is that all those factory workers who lost their good paying jobs took a step backward?

That's why people aren't doing as well under Obama than they did under bush. Don't forget 700,000 jobs a month were leaving the country in Bush's last year. No shit those people aren't doing as well. Wasn't that the gop's goal? To lower wages?

Hey moron Detroit had the manger first. its been over now for more than a year where you been:dunno:

That ol' Flint Manager is hanging in Detroit like a 50 lb bugger. Maybey not replacing the city government completely but he sure is wreaking havoc in the Detroit school system. He is STILL an EM!

Detroit teachers face off with EM Earley over legality of 'sick-outs' Monday

Forum List

Back