The House has Passed Two Stimulus Bills. The Senate has not acted.

I'm struck by the line in Hamilton. Madison and Jefferson wanted the Capitol in the South. Hamilton wanted to create the national bank. It was two separate issues.

I'm going from memory here so it may not be 100% accurate:

BURR: And Madison responds with Virginian insight
MADISON: Maybe we can solve one problem with another and win a victory for the Southerners, in other words
JEFFERSON: Oh ho
MADISON: A quid pro quo
JEFFERSON: I suppose
MADISON: Wouldn't you like to work a little closer to home
JEFFERSON: Actually, I would
MADISON: Well, I propose the Potomac
JEFFERSON: And you'll provide him his votes
MADISON: Well, we'll see how it goes

If the President is going to be involved and his approval of action is important to the Senate it would seem as though such a thing could be hammered out. Probably not the wall since it's so contentious but there are a plethora of other things I'm sure the House would consider. Remember the infrastructure bill?

Why not put that into the mix. The House gets it's relief in whatever measure is decided, the infrastructure bill the President couldn't get off the ground gets done...

Unless, the Senate R's are just not that interested in giving this President what he wants.... That looks more and more the case really. Because in the end, it's a dollar amount we're talking about; when there are two amounts, the obvious thing to do is find the midpoint. Easy. But I'm not too sure the Senate R's are completely on board with Trump any longer. It sure seems that way.
why not just send a clean single item bill???

sounds so easy even a caveman can do it,,,

Well, for one thing, that would require another vote. There is no guarantee that Speaker Pelosi could get the looney left to go along with it to make it happen.

What the Senate does have right now are two bills the Looney Left agreed on and passed. The Senate could take it up today, strip it down to the single item and pass it. The R's have the majority.

And then then the conference committees are formed and they hammer out the differences. Pelosi can appoint anyone she wants to the committees--we haven't had one in so long, I may be wrong about that--but it will be democratic party controlled and she can appoint whatever DEMS she wants at least. The looney left need not apply! If it passes the CC, then the looney left AOC faction will have to vote against aid. Something that they probably would have trouble doing.

What it comes down to is calling the House's bluff..."you passed a bill, here is our version"

IF, and this isn't a small thing, it does in the CC, that's great. But at least the Senate showed up. Right now...they're not showing up.
What's your time frame for getting this done? Seems you're just as much of the problem as your (how did you put it?) "Looney Left."

The Senate could do this today. Preferably, they could have done it in May. But no time like the present.

I'm struck by the line in Hamilton. Madison and Jefferson wanted the Capitol in the South. Hamilton wanted to create the national bank. It was two separate issues.

MADISON: Maybe we can solve one problem with another and win a victory for the Southerners, in other words

If the President is going to be involved and his approval of action is important to the Senate it would seem as though such a thing could be hammered out. Probably not the wall since it's so contentious but there are a plethora of other things I'm sure the House would consider. Remember the infrastructure bill?

Why not put that into the mix. The House gets it's relief in whatever measure is decided, the infrastructure bill the President couldn't get off the ground gets done...

Unless, the Senate R's are just not that interested in giving this President what he wants.... That looks more and more the case really. Because in the end, it's a dollar amount we're talking about; when there are two amounts, the obvious thing to do is find the midpoint. Easy. But I'm not too sure the Senate R's are completely on board with Trump any longer. It sure seems that way.
WTF??????
We're in the middle of a pandemic, not a time to be playing games, Candy.
Don't let common sense bitch slap you in the face.

Playing what games? Doing their job?

The did their job. They sent it back with NO approval as in NO vote.

That isn't sending anything back...
The House doesn't have a Senate bill to consider.

WTF??????

Their not doing their jobs. If they were, they would put together a serious Bill that
the Senate could take serious.

Well, for one thing, that would require another vote. There is no guarantee that Speaker Pelosi could get the looney left to go along with it to make it happen.

What the Senate does have right now are two bills the Looney Left agreed on and passed. The Senate could take it up today, strip it down to the single item and pass it. The R's have the majority.

And then then the conference committees are formed and they hammer out the differences. Pelosi can appoint anyone she wants to the committees--we haven't had one in so long, I may be wrong about that--but it will be democratic party controlled and she can appoint whatever DEMS she wants at least. The looney left need not apply! If it passes the CC, then the looney left AOC faction will have to vote against aid. Something that they probably would have trouble doing.

What it comes down to is calling the House's bluff..."you passed a bill, here is our version"

IF, and this isn't a small thing, it does in the CC, that's great. But at least the Senate showed up. Right now...they're not showing up.

The Senate can strip the bill but they would have to send it back to the House for approval. Wonder if the House would approve a stand alone Covid Relief bill or try to stuff some of the pork back in and Send it back.
We already know the answer to that.... remember the millions that went to the Kennedy Center in the first relief bill

Republicans are being blamed for Americans facing multiple financial problems because they refuse to negotiate an agreement. They keep trying to convince us we do not need a quality Post Office service during an epidemic during an election and cities don't need help meeting payrolls supporting police and fire departments, public transportation, and even soup kitchens.

Shouldn't both houses get together and hammer out a bill and then send it to the President?

The House was getting together with the President's team to hammer out a bill.
The Dems kept loading it with crap, so the President walked away.

Correct. Which is why I'm asking about the Congress. Where is the Senate?

The Senate won't waste their time discussing a non-serious bill.
They have a new justice to confirm.

They've had it since May....5 months before the justice vacancy was there.

Yes, a non-serious bill that isn't improving with age.

WTF??????

Seriously you lost all credibility by quoting a Broadway musical as to how to run a country

The Senate can strip the bill but they would have to send it back to the House for approval. Wonder if the House would approve a stand alone Covid Relief bill or try to stuff some of the pork back in and Send it back.
We already know the answer to that.... remember the millions that went to the Kennedy Center in the first relief bill
I remember the bail out of the LA Lakers and Ruth's Chris Steak House.

We don't know the answer to what will happen...because the Senate will not act.

Shouldn't both houses get together and hammer out a bill and then send it to the President?

Which is why they can change the bill any way they want. You do know how a bill becomes a law, right?

WTF??????

No its their own bill. The Senate sends it back and the House has to work on it again. Once they pull the pork out they send it back to the Senate. With no pork and a stand alone Covid relief bill the Senate will pass it into law.

WTF??????

Seriously you lost all credibility by quoting a Broadway musical as to how to run a country

Oh lord...

It was an example of the compromise the founding fathers came up with...using one problem to solve another.

the senate did act,,,

Which is why they can change the bill any way they want. You do know how a bill becomes a law, right?

Sure they can change it but it has to go back to the House so the house can approve it then send it back to the Senate so they can vote on it and pass it into law.

Jesus It ain't rocket science.

maybe the dems can call them out and send a clean bill that only includes the relief package,,,

Are your sure that could happen - even on YOUR planet?
I am sure the dems are not capable of sending a clean bill,, which would prove they dont care about the people,,,
So let the Senate act on the legislation they've had since the Spring and prove it.

I pretty much agree with you on this...I don't think Pelosi could get a single-issue bill through the House. Thats the beauty of the bill the Senate has right now....she wouldn't have to.

What's your time frame for getting this done? Seems you're just as much of the problem as your (how did you put it?) "Looney Left."

The Senate could do this today. Preferably, they could have done it in May. But no time like the present.
You're just being silly. Getting a committee together hashing it out, eh? :laughing0301:
Months, Candy, months. Nobody is as stupid as what you're playing in this thread. I've seen
much better posts from you in a serious OP. You're just being obtuse. Good day

the senate did act,,,
What was the outcome of the vote on the Senate bill?

Republicans are being blamed for Americans facing multiple financial problems because they refuse to negotiate an agreement. They keep trying to convince us we do not need a quality Post Office service during an epidemic during an election and cities don't need help meeting payrolls supporting police and fire departments, public transportation, and even soup kitchens.
What's the point? Do you think Trump would sign a pork-laden bill for illegals and shitholes?

Nancy has to take this at least as serious as her hairdo.

Forum List

Back