The Low Voter Turnout,.

Blah, blah, blah, no compromise...blah, blah, blah, obstruction, blah, blah, blah, bullshit.

Well, at least you quit trying to call the bullshit Republicans were pulling "compromise". I suppose that is an improvement. Now, let's see if you can actually do something other than pass the 473rd repeal of Obamacare that will never see the light of day - or, what the rest of us like to call governing.

Except I did not say that.
Something got messed up there in the quote.

Blah, blah, blah, no compromise...blah, blah, blah, obstruction, blah, blah, blah, bullshit.

Well, at least you quit trying to call the bullshit Republicans were pulling "compromise". I suppose that is an improvement. Now, let's see if you can actually do something other than pass the 473rd repeal of Obamacare that will never see the light of day - or, what the rest of us like to call governing.

That's because I don't bother debating logical fallacies. What you did say amounted to blah, blah, blah, lemme change the subject, move the goalpost, and introduce a red herring. You see, your argument was supposed to be about Republican Compromise. Yet, when I pointed out that what Republicans were doing was anything but compromising, you suddenly decided to insist that for Obama to expect any sort of compromise was silly.

So, yeah. I chose not to bother wasting time dignifying your response with anything other than acknowledgement that, at least, you had given up on your "we want to compromise" bullshit.

There were more Blacks, Latinos, Asians and young people who usually vote Dem, voted Repub this time.
Your argument does not wash.
There is always a low voter turn out for mid terms.
Actually that's a misleading claim. Actually, about the same number of Blacks, Asians, young people, and women voted for Republicans as vote for Republicans in every election. That's kinda what the Republicans have going for them. Their base is steady. They can always count on them, in every election.

However, since fewer Blacks, Latinos, Asians, women, and especially young people voted in this election - as often happens during a mid-term election - the percentage of those demographics which "voted Republican" were, understandably higher.

My premise still stands.
No indeed.Your premise is flawed. The election was a tidal change. All the demographics that did vote, except blacks, voted in higher percentage for Republicans compared to previous elections, including women, Hispanics and youth. Your penultimate paragraph is rather convoluted so I am not sure if you were covering your ass on this. If you were, then that premise would also be flawed.

Last edited:

That's because I don't bother debating logical fallacies. What you did say amounted to blah, blah, blah, lemme change the subject, move the goalpost, and introduce a red herring. You see, your argument was supposed to be about Republican Compromise. Yet, when I pointed out that what Republicans were doing was anything but compromising, you suddenly decided to insist that for Obama to expect any sort of compromise was silly.

So, yeah. I chose not to bother wasting time dignifying your response with anything other than acknowledgement that, at least, you had given up on your "we want to compromise" bullshit.

No what you did was make it look like that is what I said when I didn't.
It is against the form rules to quote a member with your words.
That is a no no rule for this form.
Just because you don't like what I said does not give you the right to quote me with your words.

My point was they should not compromise with a big bill that the majority of this nation does not want.
It was despicable how the Dem's passed this bill just because they had majority of 3 branches and the Republicans have the right to fight it and not compromise.

Just because you don't like what I said does not give you the right to quote me with your words.

My point was they should not compromise with a big bill that the majority of this nation does not want.
It was despicable how the Dem's passed this bill just because they had majority of 3 branches and the Republicans have the right to fight it and not compromise.
And that's fine. But you don't get to use that as a reason to do nothing. Republicans fought the bill. They lost. They fought the bill in court. They lost. They fought the bill on re-eleftion. They lost. To claim that "the majority of the nation" does not want Obamacare is actually misleading. The majority of American voters want insurance to cover kids until 25. Most of American Voters want pre-existing conditions gone. Most of Americans Voters want the insurance exchanges. In short most of American voters want all of the things that Obamacare does. You know what most American Voters don't want? Obamacare - as in the brand. But, when you remove the brand, they actually want all of the things that Obamacare actually does. So, the only thing that the statistics showing that most American voters "don't want Obamacare" proves is that Democrats have allowed Republicans, again, to set the narrative, and define the rhetoric.

However, that is all irrelevant as your altered claim now, is that making the defunding of Obama care is "fighting for your constituency". Except it's not. it is trying to extort from the president what you failed to get through votes.

What you tried to pull was kinda like this:

Hey, Thom, did you know we're out of food?

No. Why don't you go buy some.

Well, Thom, I'd be happy to buy food, if you'll let me use the car for my date Friday night.

Uh...no. Your date has nothing to do with whether or not we eat.

You're right. But, if you won't let me use the car, then I won't let us get any food. Tell you what. How about you just pay for my cab for my date, then I'll get food for the house.

Uh...no? Why would I pay for your date?

So that we can eat. That's fine, if you won't compromise I guess we won't eat.

Well, I guess we won't eat then.

And the insane part is that you guys have been insisting that it is the fault of the guy that refuses to be blackmailed, that these two gentlemen starved to death.

Most of the people who didn't vote are voting against A and B. The Democrats in Congress have done practically nothing in the last 2 years primarily because Republicans have stopped them. Likewise Republicans have done nothing but block Democrat legislation.

So at a cost of $30 millions a day congress spent two years creating bills they know will never become law, meeting with staff, meeting with reporters, meeting with constituents, attending committee meetings, meeting with lobbyist, holding press conferences, and of course, campaigning for the next election. The one thing they have not done is their job, creating meaningful legislation and next two years don't look any better.
Most of the legislation congress does manage to create is not meaningful nor productive. I would kind of prefer that congress and the president remain at a stalemate rather than creating crappy law.
America doesnt
Sadly, much of the USA accepts crappy law.

The fact is that most Americans be them Republicans, Democrats, or whatever depend on government.
No, most do not.
Republicans promise a small less expensive government but they have no intention of delivering on that promise. Notice how McConnell is backing off from his promise to repeal Obamacare now that Republicans control the Senate.
Most Republicans have become nothing but Democrat 'Light', only slightly less liberal than democrats. That's the reason I left the republican party

To make substantial cuts in government means cutting spending in areas such as defense, Medicare, Medicaid, Homeland Security, federal welfare programs, food stamps, health insurance subsidies, education, and thousands of programs that directly benefit both voters, and businesses. People will support government cuts as long as those cuts don't effect them. Americans may hate big government but they love those healthcare subsidies, Medicare and Medicaid benefits, food stamps, free and reduced school lunches, large defense contracts, new roads and bridges, government disaster aid, and protection from terrorist attacks. What Americans really want is all the goodies that big government provides without having to pay the piper.
The federal government was never intended to spend on Medicare, Medicaid, Homeland Security, federal welfare programs, food stamps, health insurance subsidies, education, free and reduced school lunches, disaster aid, and thousands of other programs.
Not yours to give.

I have heard various incarnations of the following statement, the last few days: "America rejected your agenda......get over it." The reson for this is that the premise goes as follows:

We had a record low turnout in this years election. The "reason" for that record low turnout is that American voters chose to stay home, and not vote to demonstrate their rejection of "the Progressive agenda". Okay. Let's try a little logic, and reason, shall we?

One is faced with two ideological proposals in an election. If one decides to reject ideology "A" in favor of Ideology "B", is the reasonable, logical decision to sit at home, do nothing, and hope that enough other people show their support for ideology "B" that it is adopted, or is the reasonable logical course of action to go out, and actively demonstrate one's support of ideology "B" with one's vote to ensure that it is the ideology that is adopted? I think the answer is fairly obvious.

Thus it makes no sense to suggest that America "demonstrated its rejection" progressivism by doing nothing. So, why did a vast majority of Americans not vote? Well, I do agree that some of the reason is voter suppression, and the various voter ID laws around the nation. However, I think that is only a small part. Let's face it, if "independent" voters truly felt that Democrats were standing up, and fighting for them, the only effect all of these restrictive voter ID laws would have had would have been to piss them off, and make them more determined than ever to make their votes heard, and get the people elected to office that were going to fight to have such restrictions repealed.

No. Much ore to the point was that independents saw Republicans attacking Democrat candidates over, and over, not for any legislative decisions that the candidates, themselves, had made, but simply for the "crime" of being associated with president Obama. In reply these independents saw the Democratic candidates...do nothing! They watched them throw Obama under the bus. The watched them run from Obama as fast as their cowardly little legs would take them. They watched Obama fold on Single Payer. They watched Obama fold on Immigration, and take the coward's route of waiting until after the elections to demand action from the House. They watched Obama continue, and expand the Republican practices of the NRA. They watched Obama continue, and expand the Republican practices of QE. They watched Obama employ the Republican strategies of Middle East aggression. They watched all of this and chose to stay home, rather than vote for Democrats that they had no reason to believe would support their ideologies.

So, if you want to gloat over the fact that Democrats lost, that's fine. They did. But, please do not fool yourselves into thinking that they lost because Americans suddenly embraced your conservative ideologies. That is the same stupidity that causes you to presume that everyone hates Obamacare for the same reasons that you do - which they don't. The vast number of progressives hate Obamacare because they see Obamacare as a betrayal of Progressivism, and an attempt at Conservative appeasement. Believe it, or not, ladies and gentlemen, when Progressives criticise the President, and Democrats, most of the time it is not because they have magically become Conservatives in their sleep; rather it is to send the message that the President, and Democrats have not been Progressive enough for their taste.

you might want to talk to Barry about his comments that Cons should get to the "back of the bus" because we lost 6 years ago (and 2 years ago).

And that's fine. But you don't get to use that as a reason to do nothing. Republicans fought the bill. They lost. They fought the bill in court. They lost. They fought the bill on re-eleftion. They lost. To claim that "the majority of the nation" does not want Obamacare is actually misleading. The majority of American voters want insurance to cover kids until 25. Most of American Voters want pre-existing conditions gone. Most of Americans Voters want the insurance exchanges. In short most of American voters want all of the things that Obamacare does. You know what most American Voters don't want? Obamacare - as in the brand. But, when you remove the brand, they actually want all of the things that Obamacare actually does. So, the only thing that the statistics showing that most American voters "don't want Obamacare" proves is that Democrats have allowed Republicans, again, to set the narrative, and define the rhetoric.

However, that is all irrelevant as your altered claim now, is that making the defunding of Obama care is "fighting for your constituency". Except it's not. it is trying to extort from the president what you failed to get through votes.

What you tried to pull was kinda like this:

Hey, Thom, did you know we're out of food?

No. Why don't you go buy some.

Well, Thom, I'd be happy to buy food, if you'll let me use the car for my date Friday night.

Uh...no. Your date has nothing to do with whether or not we eat.

You're right. But, if you won't let me use the car, then I won't let us get any food. Tell you what. How about you just pay for my cab for my date, then I'll get food for the house.

Uh...no? Why would I pay for your date?

So that we can eat. That's fine, if you won't compromise I guess we won't eat.

Well, I guess we won't eat then.

And the insane part is that you guys have been insisting that it is the fault of the guy that refuses to be blackmailed, that these two gentlemen starved to death.

It is still being fought in the Supreme Court so it is not a done deal.

That is not what I said.
If you want to go down that route it is the Dems that blackmailed the Republicans and the American people on a Health Care Bill that does nothing on what they promised us.
Heck even the architect of the bill says he and Obama lied to the people and relied on them to remain stupid about what was really in it.
If the Dems had read what was in the bill even a large amount of them would have been against the bill.

And what you did is list the very few things that the majority Americans like in the bill.
While the vast majority of the bill does great harm.
They don't like the huge taxes, they don't like the mandates, they don't like the 700 billion taken out of Medicare, the young hates being forced to buy health insurance, they hate the medical device tax, they hate government knowing their personal medical information that should be between them and their Doctors.
They hate the new huge bureaucracy created, they hate the very expensive web site that still is not working and will continue to not work, that site is nothing but a money sieve. They hate that the vast majority of Americans will and have lost their good health insurance that they liked. They hate that they lost their Doctors.
They hate that they were lied to about it.
In the end there will be the same amount of people uninsured.

In other words there is much more that they don't like and a handful of things that they do like.
This bill needs to be scraped and add the things that they do like and actually get something that really lowers the costs of health care and not make it more expensive.
This bill is nothing but big government control over the health care system as well as the people and is great for the subsidy insurance programs.

Last edited:
The fact is that most Americans be them Republicans, Democrats, or whatever depend on government. Republicans promise a small less expensive government but they have no intention of delivering on that promise. Notice how McConnell is backing off from his promise to repeal Obamacare now that Republicans control the Senate.

To make substantial cuts in government means cutting spending in areas such as defense, Medicare, Medicaid, Homeland Security, federal welfare programs, food stamps, health insurance subsidies, education, and thousands of programs that directly benefit both voters, and businesses. People will support government cuts as long as those cuts don't effect them. Americans may hate big government but they love those healthcare subsidies, Medicare and Medicaid benefits, food stamps, free and reduced school lunches, large defense contracts, new roads and bridges, government disaster aid, and protection from terrorist attacks. What Americans really want is all the goodies that big government provides without having to pay the piper.
Where do you get your "facts"? Most people I know would rather not pay into SS and have their own plan. Same with insurance. Most people want welfare? You are confusing your opinions for facts.
Polls.
When Republicans tried to prioritize Social Security, American came out strongly in favor of maintaining the current system. When asked if people should be allowed to invest only a portion of their Social Security taxes in Stocks, respondents said no, by a slight majority .

In a Gallop poll, respondents were asked if payment of benefits cause a major financial problem for the government, should benefits be reduced. 56% said no.

CBS News Poll
. Jan. 17-21, 2014. N=1,018 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 3.
"Overall, do you think the benefits from Social Security are worth the cost of the program for taxpayers?"
73% - Yes.

CNN/ORC Poll. Sept. 23-25, 2011. N=1,010 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 3.
"Would you say that the Social Security system has been good for the country, has been bad for the country, or has had no effect on the country?"
79% - Good.

CNN/ORC Poll. Sept. 9-11, 2011.
N=1,038 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 3.
"The Social Security system has been described as a 'monstrous lie' and as a failure. Do you think those phrases are an accurate description of the Social Security system, or don't you think so?"
Not Accurate - 72%

Social Security
Social Security Gallup Historical Trends
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
As ideologues, of course, most republicans aren't interested in the facts or wishes of the American people.

wow, the Majority of the people was against OscamCare did you all LISTEN TO THEM? hell know YOUR party passed it without ONE Republican voting for it. so knock off your BS. your mad so what, stop lying
A lot of people don't like Obamacare yet just 29 percent say it should be repealed and replaced with a GOP alternative or nothing at all. What American really hate about the law is the mandates on individuals and business but they like what the law provides, guaranteed issue of policies, tax credits to small businesses, closing the Medicare doughnut hole, extension of dependent coverage, subsidies to individuals, Medicaid expansion, health insurance exchanges, and Medical loss ratios.

Capturing the House and Senate without the Presidency or a super majority in Congress just insures the status quo will continue. There will be no change to Obamacare and probably no immigration reform or any other major legislation.

Since there will be no democrat legislation passed, Obama will certainly use executive orders to accomplish a few things. The republican controlled congress will devote their efforts to creating legislation that they know will never become law.

Which is more unpopular Obamacare or repealing Obamacare PolitiFact

Obamacare 8217 s most popular provisions are its least well known - The Washington Post

I have heard various incarnations of the following statement, the last few days: "America rejected your agenda......get over it." The reson for this is that the premise goes as follows:

We had a record low turnout in this years election. The "reason" for that record low turnout is that American voters chose to stay home, and not vote to demonstrate their rejection of "the Progressive agenda". Okay. Let's try a little logic, and reason, shall we?

One is faced with two ideological proposals in an election. If one decides to reject ideology "A" in favor of Ideology "B", is the reasonable, logical decision to sit at home, do nothing, and hope that enough other people show their support for ideology "B" that it is adopted, or is the reasonable logical course of action to go out, and actively demonstrate one's support of ideology "B" with one's vote to ensure that it is the ideology that is adopted? I think the answer is fairly obvious.

Thus it makes no sense to suggest that America "demonstrated its rejection" progressivism by doing nothing. So, why did a vast majority of Americans not vote? Well, I do agree that some of the reason is voter suppression, and the various voter ID laws around the nation. However, I think that is only a small part. Let's face it, if "independent" voters truly felt that Democrats were standing up, and fighting for them, the only effect all of these restrictive voter ID laws would have had would have been to piss them off, and make them more determined than ever to make their votes heard, and get the people elected to office that were going to fight to have such restrictions repealed.

No. Much ore to the point was that independents saw Republicans attacking Democrat candidates over, and over, not for any legislative decisions that the candidates, themselves, had made, but simply for the "crime" of being associated with president Obama. In reply these independents saw the Democratic candidates...do nothing! They watched them throw Obama under the bus. The watched them run from Obama as fast as their cowardly little legs would take them. They watched Obama fold on Single Payer. They watched Obama fold on Immigration, and take the coward's route of waiting until after the elections to demand action from the House. They watched Obama continue, and expand the Republican practices of the NRA. They watched Obama continue, and expand the Republican practices of QE. They watched Obama employ the Republican strategies of Middle East aggression. They watched all of this and chose to stay home, rather than vote for Democrats that they had no reason to believe would support their ideologies.

So, if you want to gloat over the fact that Democrats lost, that's fine. They did. But, please do not fool yourselves into thinking that they lost because Americans suddenly embraced your conservative ideologies. That is the same stupidity that causes you to presume that everyone hates Obamacare for the same reasons that you do - which they don't. The vast number of progressives hate Obamacare because they see Obamacare as a betrayal of Progressivism, and an attempt at Conservative appeasement. Believe it, or not, ladies and gentlemen, when Progressives criticise the President, and Democrats, most of the time it is not because they have magically become Conservatives in their sleep; rather it is to send the message that the President, and Democrats have not been Progressive enough for their taste.
I think you are brilliant

The fact is that most Americans be them Republicans, Democrats, or whatever depend on government. Republicans promise a small less expensive government but they have no intention of delivering on that promise. Notice how McConnell is backing off from his promise to repeal Obamacare now that Republicans control the Senate.

Where do you get your "facts"? Most people I know would rather not pay into SS and have their own plan. Same with insurance. Most people want welfare? You are confusing your opinions for facts.
Polls.
When Republicans tried to prioritize Social Security, American came out strongly in favor of maintaining the current system. When asked if people should be allowed to invest only a portion of their Social Security taxes in Stocks, respondents said no, by a slight majority .

In a Gallop poll, respondents were asked if payment of benefits cause a major financial problem for the government, should benefits be reduced. 56% said no.

CBS News Poll
. Jan. 17-21, 2014. N=1,018 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 3.
"Overall, do you think the benefits from Social Security are worth the cost of the program for taxpayers?"
73% - Yes.

CNN/ORC Poll. Sept. 23-25, 2011. N=1,010 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 3.
"Would you say that the Social Security system has been good for the country, has been bad for the country, or has had no effect on the country?"
79% - Good.

CNN/ORC Poll. Sept. 9-11, 2011.
N=1,038 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 3.
"The Social Security system has been described as a 'monstrous lie' and as a failure. Do you think those phrases are an accurate description of the Social Security system, or don't you think so?"
Not Accurate - 72%

Social Security
Social Security Gallup Historical Trends
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
As ideologues, of course, most republicans aren't interested in the facts or wishes of the American people.

wow, the Majority of the people was against OscamCare did you all LISTEN TO THEM? hell know YOUR party passed it without ONE Republican voting for it. so knock off your BS. your mad so what, stop lying
A lot of people don't like Obamacare yet just 29 percent say it should be repealed and replaced with a GOP alternative or nothing at all. What American really hate about the law is the mandates on individuals and business but they like what the law provides, guaranteed issue of policies, tax credits to small businesses, closing the Medicare doughnut hole, extension of dependent coverage, subsidies to individuals, Medicaid expansion, health insurance exchanges, and Medical loss ratios.

Capturing the House and Senate without the Presidency or a super majority in Congress just insures the status quo will continue. There will be no change to Obamacare and probably no immigration reform or any other major legislation.

Since there will be no democrat legislation passed, Obama will certainly use executive orders to accomplish a few things. The republican controlled congress will devote their efforts to creating legislation that they know will never become law.

Obamacare 8217 s most popular provisions are its least well known - The Washington Post
Then what happened? Just removed the mandate which is cool for some I get it. Trumps small business owners who work for themselves. Or people who’s employers don’t offer healthcare and you’re forced to pay $300 a month when you don’t make shit. Insurance is too expensive. Have republicans done anything about that?

Polls.

CBS News Poll. Jan. 17-21, 2014. N=1,018 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 3.
73% - Yes.

Then what happened? Just removed the mandate which is cool for some I get it. Trumps small business owners who work for themselves. Or people who’s employers don’t offer healthcare and you’re forced to pay $300 a month when you don’t make shit. Insurance is too expensive. Have republicans done anything about that?
No, and they are not likely to. The reason is simple. There is no way to win politically with major healthcare legislation. It is far better politically to make minor changes such as republicans did in eliminating the very unpopular mandate in Obamacare and claiming major changes.

Creating a healthcare system that will provide quality healthcare for all Americans at an affordable price without large government expenditures is not possible. Republicans could certainly create a system in which insurance companies could reject those that need insurance the most and eliminate the most costly procedures. That would certainly make insurance more affordable but that would not be quality insurance for all and would certainly reduce the number insured.

The number of American without healthcare insurance today stands at 11.3% compared to 18.9% in 2009. Without universal healthcare, the lowest figure believed possible is about 8 or 9%. Obamacare did an excellent job of increasing the number of insured and providing high quality insurance for everyone. It failed in producing lower cost healthcare because democrats in congress were not willing to put more government dollars into healthcare with the huge deficit spending to offset the effects of the recession.

I feel certain that when democrats once again control government, they will pump more money into healthcare to lower cost without sacrifice of quality of coverage or the number insured.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back