The rich get richer and the poorer remain poorer?

While America certainly has its share of people in chronic poverty and those with vast wealth, we are an economically mobile society. There are no class or cast systems that might prevent anyone with initiative from bettering their station in life. IRS data tracking the same group of taxpayers between 1999 and 2007 showed that Americans can move from one economic group to another fairly quickly.For example, nearly 60% of taxpayers who began in the lowest income group in 1999, moved to a higher income group by 2007. Conversely, roughly 40% of taxpayers who started out in the highest income group moved to lower income groups within eight years.
Official Statistics on Inequality, the Top 1%, and Redistribution | Tax Foundation

Can you explain why these are the 5 worst places for upward mobility?

5 Worst Cities in America for Class Mobility

Tennessee, Alabama and Mississippi.

Republicans like to say they do things better than us liberals but these are 3 very conservative/red/republican states.
And life in these small towns proves what?
BTW, Memphis, Atlanta and Charlotte are liberal controlled cities.
Just curious:

Are you now going to claim that state government has no impact on cities?
No. You said that.
IN states where Dillon's Rule is the law, legally, yes.
Politically, no. Cities are autonomous.
Examples. Many states have GOP controlled legislatures. Yet there are urban centers controlled by democrats.....In fact this is the case in over 30 states.
Your point?
I don't believe you have supported the notion that cities aren't affected by the states in which they exist.

Nor do I think that is possible.

Issues of infrastructure, health care, recreational drugs, marriage, etc., can't be fully addressed by cities independently. Other issues simply aren't allowed to be addressed independently - as you point out.
My bro lived in Switzerland for 4 years. Beautiful. I said, "why can't America be like this?" And the answer is ghettos. Switzerland doesn't have huge ghettos.

Poor people need to lower their birth rate. By multiplying like they do they don't realize they're doing it to themselves. Supply and demand

It's real simple people, though some of you are too locked into your dogma that you'll never except the simple truth, but here it is:

The rich keep getting richer and the poor keep getting poorer because the rich continue to do the things that made them rich and the poor continue to do the things that made them poor. It's not rocket science, it's just that simple.
... exactly so!

And, to add to that, if the poor would begin doing the things that the rich do to make themselves rich, they, too, can climb the financial ladder.
So they should buy politicians?

It's real simple people, though some of you are too locked into your dogma that you'll never except the simple truth, but here it is:

The rich keep getting richer and the poor keep getting poorer because the rich continue to do the things that made them rich and the poor continue to do the things that made them poor. It's not rocket science, it's just that simple.
... exactly so!

And, to add to that, if the poor would begin doing the things that the rich do to make themselves rich, they, too, can climb the financial ladder.

Correct.

If you are poor in america you will remain poor. If you are rich, you will get richer. It has always been this way. It matters not the work ethic, etc. That's the big lie NO politician will ever come out and say......america you ain't so great.

Except it ISN'T that way, and it never has been.

Only about 1% of the American population remains permanently in the lowest 20% income bracket their whole lives. About that same percentage remains permanently in the highest income bracket. Everyone else moves back and forth among the brackets throughout their lives.

People make more money as their career progresses. If you worked a job for 8 years and weren't making more money you should probably change careers.

Or have a college or craft school affordable enough to go into a better job. Not that America allows to much of that. :(
there are plenty of ways to attend college

go part time and work full time
join the national guard and get in state tuition free
go to a community or state college the first 2 years then transfer to a better school

etc etc

Nowadays, there's also the option to take classes online. Those classes are usually cheaper than classroom courses, plus offering the advantage of doing it on your own schedule.

Depending on what you want to study, you can also look for jobs with employers who offer tuition reimbursement. Typically, that reimbursement is dependent on you studying something that they might find useful to them, so a BA in underwater basket weaving is probably out.

supply side economics simply bails out the rich who are deemed too big to fail; and then trickles down. the right wing complains about the trickle part for the poor, not the supply side for the rich.

supply side economics simply bails out the rich who are deemed too big to fail; and then trickles down. the right wing complains about the trickle part for the poor, not the supply side for the rich.

You are trying to complicate something that is simple.

You can lie to yourself all you want to. What I gave you are the facts. Accept them or not, they are the facts.

you idiot that's INDIVIDUAL tax returns not business tax returns
Link? Most of the wealthy even hire professionals, to help with tax avoidance.
so what?

That stat is actual paid taxes

and you avoid as much income tax as possible too don't you?
1 Percenters Pay 24 Percent and Top 10 Percent Pay 53.3 Percent of All Federal Taxes
1 Percenters Pay 24 Percent and Top 10 Percent Pay 53.3 Percent of All Federal Taxes
How much did Mr. Trump pay in real person, personal income tax?
don't know don't care
how much did you pay?
How can it be true, that the real, one percent, pays the most in personal income taxes?

because even the 1% have to file tax returns you IDIOT

Wow!

PLEASE tell me you didn't use my tax dollars to be this wrong !!

You can lie to yourself all you want to. What I gave you are the facts. Accept them or not, they are the facts.
The facts are, the rich get bailed out and get to keep their multimillion dollar bonuses while on means tested corporate welfare. the poor don't get to keep their bonuses.

Link? Most of the wealthy even hire professionals, to help with tax avoidance.
so what?

That stat is actual paid taxes

and you avoid as much income tax as possible too don't you?
How much did Mr. Trump pay in real person, personal income tax?
don't know don't care
how much did you pay?
How can it be true, that the real, one percent, pays the most in personal income taxes?

because even the 1% have to file tax returns you IDIOT
so, how many of the actual and real, one percent actually paid income tax?

We can use Mr. Trump as an example.

Donald J. Trump declared a $916 million loss on his 1995 income tax returns, a tax deduction so substantial it could have allowed him to legally avoid paying any federal income taxes for up to 18 years, records obtained by The New York Times show.--http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/02/us/politics/donald-trump-taxes.html

Wow!

I am not wrong; you are simply clueless and Causeless. Are you on the right?

The facts are, the rich get bailed out and get to keep their multimillion dollar bonuses while on means tested corporate welfare. the poor don't get to keep their bonuses.

I've never gotten bailed out in my entire life. What I gave you are the facts. You don't want to learn than stay stiupid and continue to blame everyone else.

... and the world passed you by while you were out getting peanuts, right?

Wow!

Wow!

that's me --- on the side of right, on the side of educated discussion, and on the side favoring euthanasia for the terminally ignorant (you better watch out)

I've never gotten bailed out in my entire life. What I gave you are the facts. You don't want to learn than stay stiupid and continue to blame everyone else.
You don't have any facts, only right wing fantasy. Your fallacies prove it.

... and the world passed you by while you were out getting peanuts, right?
nothing but diversion as that form of fallacy; why does the right wing believe, they have more than right wing fantasy at their disposal.

Wow!

Wow!

that's me --- on the side of right, on the side of educated discussion, and on the side favoring euthanasia for the terminally ignorant (you better watch out)
why not simply draft the rich to public office, and shoot them if they do a bad job?

Wow!

Wow!

why not simply draft the rich to public office, and shoot them if they do a bad job?

Man oh man ... stupidity carries the day at your house, huh?

Forum List

Back