Votes: 74 29.7%
  • Bigoted

Votes: 25 10.0%
  • Crazy

Votes: 105 42.2%
  • Christian

Votes: 45 18.1%

• Total voters
As DC has no skyline to speak of (altitude regulations for structures), the Mormon temple adds a bit of good spice to driving on the beltway. It's pretty prominent.

templeindc.jpg

Mitt Romney is yummy.

Good point! For a politician - definitely one of the better looking ones.

And..... an intelligent man. Personally, I think he might make a decent POTUS. I would have given serious thought to voting for Mitt last time around. Economically, probably the smartest of the bunch last time around.

I wonder if he'll run in '12?

A girl in my old high school class became a Mormon back in those dark old ages of my "yute." I discussed Latter Day Saints theology with her a couple of times, but could not pursue it since she was a bit too deeply immersed in it for my taste. She said that part of the religious belief of the Mormons was that we can all ultimately be Gods (or part of the One God?) She wasn't entirely clear on it, and when I learned that it was also a very sexually repressed religion, I ran away.

A couple of other times in my life some "missionaries" came a knockin' at my door to talk about Jesus in the New World.

I lost interest in such chats WAY early.

I cannot buy any part of the Gold Tablets story. Too convienently "lost" for me to give it any credence.

What I know about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints could thus fill a thimble, well, partly.

What I do know about it, I find unpersuasive.

On the other hand, Mormonism beats the living snot out of Islam which I consider to be a truly vile and depraved religion.

No offense.
That's pretty much my take - they seem really repressed, not only sexually, but in just enjoying some simple and harmless things in life.

Although, the Mormons that I have met have all been pretty decent folks. We just had little in common.

I agree. Except when they (like some other prechy religions) come knocking on the door to talk about God with me, I kinda like them.

They tend to be good simple honest warm folks.

Their history is a bit messed up.

But that was then.

They are an adaptable lot.

Why would a Christian denomination call its major cathedral a "tabernacle?"

Isn't that more of a Judaic thing?

I think its a word used for large congregational houses of wordhip...

I'm sure that's it.

I guess maybe the Latter Day Saints were/are a bit NON-AntiSemitic in some ways?

Main Entry: 1tab·er·na·cle
Pronunciation: \ˈta-bər-ˌna-kəl\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin tabernaculum, from Latin, tent, from taberna hut
Date: 13th century
1 a often capitalized : a tent sanctuary used by the Israelites during the Exodus b archaic : a dwelling place c archaic : a temporary shelter : tent
2 : a receptacle for the consecrated elements of the Eucharist; especially : an ornamental locked box used for reserving the Communion hosts
3 : a house of worship; specifically : a large building or tent used for evangelistic services

— tab·er·nac·u·lar \ˌta-bər-ˈna-kyə-lər\ adjective
tabernacle - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Mitt looks like a movie star. My only fear of him running for POTUS is that he is so drop dead gorgeous that he must have a Monica in his past. In fact did I mention my real name is Monica? :eusa_whistle:

Mitt-Romney-10.jpg

It IS a great thread!

I bet the Mormons don't look too kindly on drug runners. I could be wrong, though, as I'm still learning about Mormons.

Mormons, as I understand their religion, don't even drink coffee.
You are right. No nicotine, either. Hell, one can't even buy certain items in Berrien County, MI (Mormon county) - no ciggies, no alcohol - it's a dry county.

Forum List

Back