The U.S. NOT founded upon Christianity

Except of course the words of the founders and the Declaration of Independence, which is the first document which presents the US to the world.

Allie. Cbrist is not mentioned in the Declaration of Independence,( which was before we were a government) and there is not God in the Consitution.

The Treaty of Tripoli clearly states that we are NOT a Christian nation.

We are a government of human beings, not supernatural forces.

The Constitution, the golden standard of American law, never mentions God or even anything about religion (Butler 159). This is considered ‘one of the most secular documents of the modern world’ (Butler 159). Article six must definitely contribute to this notion; it states that ‘no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office of public Trust under the United States’ (Butler 159). Some argue that the Constitution is an explicitly Christian document. In actuality, Article Six explicitly states that the United States must never be a Christian nation, or any other religious nation for that matter. If this is not convincing, the First Amendment to the Constitution, passed by the first congress in 1791, should be ‘Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof’ (Butler 148). Thomas Jefferson made clear his position that the First Amendment was in place to create a ‘wall of separation between church and state’ (Butler 148).

Thomas Jefferson's Declaration of Independence was also a very secular document. Although religion did enter the Declaration of Independence its focus was clearly to address the offenses of British politicians. No religious issues were included in the ‘history of repeated injuries and usurpations’ section of the Declaration (Butler 133). I do not believe this was an accident or that Jefferson somehow forgot to mention them.

The only religious phrases found in the Declaration of Independence are not specifically Christian. As an example, the phrase ‘the laws of nature and nature's God’ shows that Jefferson did not think our rights are not given to us by a divine being but rather by the natural law. ‘Divine providence’ is used to reference that which Americans would rely on for protection (Butler 133). A ‘Supreme Judge of the world’ who would judge the ‘rectitude of our intentions’ was also mentioned (Butler 133). ‘God’ or ‘Christ’ were never mentioned.
Young Freethought: America Is Not A Christian Nation

The Constitution, the golden standard of American law, never mentions God or even anything about religion (Butler 159). This is considered ‘one of the most secular documents of the modern world’ (Butler 159). Article six must definitely contribute to this notion; it states that ‘no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office of public Trust under the United States’ (Butler 159). Some argue that the Constitution is an explicitly Christian document. In actuality, Article Six explicitly states that the United States must never be a Christian nation, or any other religious nation for that matter. If this is not convincing, the First Amendment to the Constitution, passed by the first congress in 1791, should be ‘Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof’ (Butler 148). Thomas Jefferson made clear his position that the First Amendment was in place to create a ‘wall of separation between church and state’ (Butler 148).

Thomas Jefferson's Declaration of Independence was also a very secular document. Although religion did enter the Declaration of Independence its focus was clearly to address the offenses of British politicians. No religious issues were included in the ‘history of repeated injuries and usurpations’ section of the Declaration (Butler 133). I do not believe this was an accident or that Jefferson somehow forgot to mention them.

The only religious phrases found in the Declaration of Independence are not specifically Christian. As an example, the phrase ‘the laws of nature and nature's God’ shows that Jefferson did not think our rights are not given to us by a divine being but rather by the natural law. ‘Divine providence’ is used to reference that which Americans would rely on for protection (Butler 133). A ‘Supreme Judge of the world’ who would judge the ‘rectitude of our intentions’ was also mentioned (Butler 133). ‘God’ or ‘Christ’ were never mentioned.
Young Freethought: America Is Not A Christian Nation

Only another opinion which flies in the face of the facts.

This is not, nor ever has been, a Christian nation.

However, the European immigrants and their descendants have overwhelming been Christian.

Thus, the U.S. is a nation of Christians, whose values are often reflected in the local, state, and national laws.

Except of course the words of the founders and the Declaration of Independence, which is the first document which presents the US to the world.

But...where does the DoI sound like the Gospels?

"All men are created equal?" Where does Christ say this?

Why would the DOI sound like the gospel?

You mentioned the DOI as representative of a document that the founders wrote.

I wondered where in it they'd borrowed from the Gospels, Christ's Teachings, which would give credance to your argument that the founders based the US Government on Christianity.

Oh my god.
I refer you back to what I've already said. I'm tired of covering the same ground over and over.

I've offered plenty of evidence, and MULTIPLE links, to things other than opinion pieces. To the words of the founders themselves about what they envisioned for our country, and what they were modeling the new country after.

So now you provide some evidence, HARD evidence, that the OP is true, and the US is NOT founded on Christian principles. NOT on the bible, NOT as a theocracy, but that it ISN'T FOUNDED ON CHRISTIAN VALUES AND TENETS.

Then provide some evidence that the US is NOT a Christian nation. Be sure to provide numbers.

AllieBaba, no, kiddo, no, America was not founded as a Christian nation.

Now go away, please.

Why on earth would I do that? Did I say the Declaration used language from the gospels?
Nope, I didn't. So if you don't mind, I won't waste time looking up stupid shit to justify things I never said because you want me to.

You go ahead, though.

Why on earth would I do that? Did I say the Declaration used language from the gospels?
Nope, I didn't. So if you don't mind, I won't waste time looking up stupid shit to justify things I never said because you want me to.

You go ahead, though.

Ok let's pretend you never mentioned DOI.

What, if anything, does the US Government have in common with the Gospels?

Bible:

Mat 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Constitution:

'Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion...'

Bible:

Mat 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Constitution:

See, that would be the opposite of something in the gospels being like what is in the DOI.

Bible:

Constitution:

Huh? Not even close.

Bible:
3 Jesus replied, "And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition?
4 For God said, 'Honor your father and mother' and 'Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death.'

Constitution:
Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Forum List

Back