The Uniqueness of Christ

He had good PR. Something people like you keep carrying on with. While your faith is yours and I have no issue with it, you do understand it is just yours, right?

And all people don’t “adore” him. He was a nice enough jewish rabbi though. Said some good things.

But tell me — why isn’t the temple rebuilt? Why haven’t we had a thousand years of peace? If the messiah was here, those prophesies would have been fulfilled.

And is there some reason that religious zealots can’t just live by their faith and stop harranging everyone else? If it were Muslims who did this all
Day every day, you’d be ranting and raving.

My only attempt here was to point out just how unique he actually was.

As for the theology behind my beliefs in terms of the veracity of the Bible, those are easily researched if you are interested.

Is he unique? Or better publicized? There were probably a hundred Jews at the time calling themselves messiah. They were pretty much all crucified by Rome because to Rome it was an issue of rabble rousers threatening their power.

Was Yeshua more charismatic than most? Probably. Did he have a certain je ne s’ait quoi? Probably. But he didn’t fulfill the prophesies and what was supposed to happen after the coming of the messiah didn’t occur. So I don’t think he’s so unique.

Your bible isn’t mine. The New Testament is not capable of proof. And your faith is faith. Also not capable of proof. And as to yeahua being revered by all people. Not by the majority of the planet. Again you’re entitled to your belief. But your presumption that it is capable of proof as fact is pretty much absurd. If it could be proven as fact, it wouldn’t require faith. So your whole fact checking thing is kind of silly. Tell me, did you fact check the council of Nicea?

And for the record, those of us who do not subscribe to your brand of religion think your religion is false. And I am always kind of astounded by the arrogance of anyone who thinks theirs is the only true religion without realizing that if we didn’t believe the same about our own belief systems, we wouldn’t subscribe to the beliefs we hold
Unique. He wasn't more publicized until after his death like the other "messiah's" were while alive.

Jesus warns of false messiahs and prophets (Matt. 24:5, 11, 24). These individuals, whom John refers to as false teachers and prophets (Rev. 2:14-15;19:29) were not in short supply. Josephus reports that the Zealots suborned many false prophets to rally the people against Rome (Wars 6.5.2).

One individual who seduced a large following was Theudas, a self-proclaimed prophet whom Josephus calls a magician. This man deluded several souls into following him to the Jordan River, which he promised to divide in order to provide passage through as they retreated. It didn't work; Fadus sent troops after him and his band and captured and slew them. Theudas ended up beheaded.

Another false messiah who rose shortly after Christ was Judas the Galilean, who led a failed messianic movement to protest tribute to Rome. Josephus doesn't relate the death of Judas but does record the execution of his two sons (Antiquities 20.5.2), and calls him a teacher of his own peculiar sect, referring to the Zealots (not from one of the philosophical schools like the Pharisees, Sadducees, and Essenes were (Wars 2.8.2)). Judas was of a school that Josephus mocks as self-aggrandizing.

Doubts persist as to whether this Theudas and Judas of whom Josephus writes are the same as the two individuals of whom Luke writes in the Book of Acts (5:36-37), but in either case, these false teachers came to nothing. Their lives mattered not a whit to the world at large.

Luke records the fate of another false prophet, Bar-Jesus, after he opposes the Gospel that Paul and Barnabas preach (Acts 13:6-12). His life also came to nothing.

The last false messiah during the Jewish Wars, though certainly not the last imposter to ever claim to be Christ, was Simon bar Kokhba, who led his insurgents against Roman occupation in Judea after the Great Revolt and Kito's War ended in failure for the Jews. History estimates that over half a million Jews were killed in this third and final campaign, directly at the hands of the Romans and due to famine and disease. Bar Kokhba died in the fortress of Betar, and, like all the false messiahs before him, was laid to rest without effecting the change he intended. Rome maintained its presence and the Jewish political state came once and for all all to a complete collapse.

The false teachers who rose up to liberate Israel and Judea from their pagan overlords wooed followers with their boastful language and military prowess. They envisioned themselves claiming victories and returning home as heros. They saw themselves ensconced in history as mighty warriors and faithful servants who would restore the glory of their homeland. They would all fail.

From Jesus of Nazareth we get a rather different portrait of what Messiah ought to be. In Jesus we have neither a military leader nor a self- proclaimed savior. Jesus did not promise a restored and glorified Israel. He did not die a hero's death or win the favor of his countrymen. Quite the opposite. In his unique, humble way, he promised the kingdom of God to a new people under a new covenant and then died a slave's death. His mission was not to suffer merely for the salvation of Israel but for the salvation of the world. And he succeeded.

did jesus warn about false messiahs? probably... that's a very jewish concept.

humble? I'm pretty sure there was nothing humble about the guy who went into Jerusalem and tried to get them to oust the romans.

but if that makes you feel happy.

and you're right, he wasn't publicized when he was alive because he was considered another fake self-proclaimed messiah.

he became truly famous when Constantine's mommy decided she was a Christian and like a good son, Constantine put together the teachings of the jewish Christians with the beliefs of his roman pagans. they came up with some good stories, too.
Naw, Jesus Christ became famous when he rose from the dead and was seen by so many witnesses, then when the Holy Spirit came down later and birthed the Church.

who is the "HOLY SPIRIT"---male or female----was it an easy labor. I had a hard time----I ended up in the Operating room-----with a C-section. Want to see my scar?

I don't get this. Why are people so miserable and snarky about other people's joy in their faith? If someone's religion brings them closer to God, shouldn't we all be celebrating?

"ALL" ??? do you celebrate that muslims feel close to
"god" when tying a bomb to the behind of a 16 year old
for the purpose of smashing the brains out of babies?

Do you celebrate with muslims JOYFULLY march around
their meteorite chanting "DEATH TO _____,,, <<<this or that?

As for the theology behind my beliefs in terms of the veracity of the Bible, those are easily researched if you are interested.

Is he unique? Or better publicized? There were probably a hundred Jews at the time calling themselves messiah. They were pretty much all crucified by Rome because to Rome it was an issue of rabble rousers threatening their power.

Was Yeshua more charismatic than most? Probably. Did he have a certain je ne s’ait quoi? Probably. But he didn’t fulfill the prophesies and what was supposed to happen after the coming of the messiah didn’t occur. So I don’t think he’s so unique.

Your bible isn’t mine. The New Testament is not capable of proof. And your faith is faith. Also not capable of proof. And as to yeahua being revered by all people. Not by the majority of the planet. Again you’re entitled to your belief. But your presumption that it is capable of proof as fact is pretty much absurd. If it could be proven as fact, it wouldn’t require faith. So your whole fact checking thing is kind of silly. Tell me, did you fact check the council of Nicea?

And for the record, those of us who do not subscribe to your brand of religion think your religion is false. And I am always kind of astounded by the arrogance of anyone who thinks theirs is the only true religion without realizing that if we didn’t believe the same about our own belief systems, we wouldn’t subscribe to the beliefs we hold
Unique. He wasn't more publicized until after his death like the other "messiah's" were while alive.

Jesus warns of false messiahs and prophets (Matt. 24:5, 11, 24). These individuals, whom John refers to as false teachers and prophets (Rev. 2:14-15;19:29) were not in short supply. Josephus reports that the Zealots suborned many false prophets to rally the people against Rome (Wars 6.5.2).

One individual who seduced a large following was Theudas, a self-proclaimed prophet whom Josephus calls a magician. This man deluded several souls into following him to the Jordan River, which he promised to divide in order to provide passage through as they retreated. It didn't work; Fadus sent troops after him and his band and captured and slew them. Theudas ended up beheaded.

Another false messiah who rose shortly after Christ was Judas the Galilean, who led a failed messianic movement to protest tribute to Rome. Josephus doesn't relate the death of Judas but does record the execution of his two sons (Antiquities 20.5.2), and calls him a teacher of his own peculiar sect, referring to the Zealots (not from one of the philosophical schools like the Pharisees, Sadducees, and Essenes were (Wars 2.8.2)). Judas was of a school that Josephus mocks as self-aggrandizing.

Doubts persist as to whether this Theudas and Judas of whom Josephus writes are the same as the two individuals of whom Luke writes in the Book of Acts (5:36-37), but in either case, these false teachers came to nothing. Their lives mattered not a whit to the world at large.

Luke records the fate of another false prophet, Bar-Jesus, after he opposes the Gospel that Paul and Barnabas preach (Acts 13:6-12). His life also came to nothing.

The last false messiah during the Jewish Wars, though certainly not the last imposter to ever claim to be Christ, was Simon bar Kokhba, who led his insurgents against Roman occupation in Judea after the Great Revolt and Kito's War ended in failure for the Jews. History estimates that over half a million Jews were killed in this third and final campaign, directly at the hands of the Romans and due to famine and disease. Bar Kokhba died in the fortress of Betar, and, like all the false messiahs before him, was laid to rest without effecting the change he intended. Rome maintained its presence and the Jewish political state came once and for all all to a complete collapse.

The false teachers who rose up to liberate Israel and Judea from their pagan overlords wooed followers with their boastful language and military prowess. They envisioned themselves claiming victories and returning home as heros. They saw themselves ensconced in history as mighty warriors and faithful servants who would restore the glory of their homeland. They would all fail.

From Jesus of Nazareth we get a rather different portrait of what Messiah ought to be. In Jesus we have neither a military leader nor a self- proclaimed savior. Jesus did not promise a restored and glorified Israel. He did not die a hero's death or win the favor of his countrymen. Quite the opposite. In his unique, humble way, he promised the kingdom of God to a new people under a new covenant and then died a slave's death. His mission was not to suffer merely for the salvation of Israel but for the salvation of the world. And he succeeded.

humble? I'm pretty sure there was nothing humble about the guy who went into Jerusalem and tried to get them to oust the romans.

and you're right, he wasn't publicized when he was alive because he was considered another fake self-proclaimed messiah.

he became truly famous when Constantine's mommy decided she was a Christian and like a good son, Constantine put together the teachings of the jewish Christians with the beliefs of his roman pagans. they came up with some good stories, too.
Naw, Jesus Christ became famous when he rose from the dead and was seen by so many witnesses, then when the Holy Spirit came down later and birthed the Church.

who is the "HOLY SPIRIT"---male or female----was it an easy labor. I had a hard time----I ended up in the Operating room-----with a C-section. Want to see my scar?

my kabbalah teacher said it was both.

"ALL" ??? do you celebrate that muslims feel close to
"god" when tying a bomb to the behind of a 16 year old
for the purpose of smashing the brains out of babies?

Do you celebrate with muslims JOYFULLY march around
their meteorite chanting "DEATH TO _____,,, <<<this or that?

None of the Muslims I know have ever shouted, Death to anyone. They have asked if they could come to my classroom during lunch during the Ramadan fast so that they would not be tempted to eat. They have asked me if they could do their mile run in the cool of the morning rather than the heat of the afternoon during their fast month. I have never found it a problem to accommodate or encourage any of them.

I walk past their place of worship on the way to my place of worship. All at peace, all respectful.

I find it unbelievable that the first thing that comes to your mind about Muslims is the fringe. There are many faithful, peaceful Muslims. Give them a break if not your respect.

Should I ever come across a Muslim shouting, "Death" they will receive the same response as I give those who insist "Destination Hell" to those outside their denomination.

I'm pretty sure it's because people like the o/p think their religion is the one true religion.... and people like me call BS. :thup:

Why not say what is right about your faith instead of what is wrong about someone else's?

I'm pretty sure it's because people like the o/p think their religion is the one true religion.... and people like me call BS. :thup:

Why not say what is right about your faith instead of what is wrong about someone else's?

why would I do that? I don't proselytize. I'm not permitted to proselytize. how about arrogant jerks just understand that everyone else feels as strongly about their religions as they do? because, ultimately, that's the only issue. I don't need to sell anyone else on my beliefs

why would I do that? I don't proselytize. I'm not permitted to proselytize. how about arrogant jerks just understand that everyone else feels as strongly about their religions as they do? because, ultimately, that's the only issue. I don't need to sell anyone else on my beliefs

Nor do I try to convert others. But isn't bashing another's faith just as bad? Can you not simply tell others what you believe, what strengthens you and brings joy to your life without trying to convert anyone to your faith? Wouldn't that be an improvement over stomping on a faith someone else obviously also feels as strongly about as you do yours?

Nor do I try to convert others. But isn't bashing another's faith just as bad? Can you not simply tell others what you believe, what strengthens you and brings joy to your life without trying to convert anyone to your faith? Wouldn't that be an improvement over stomping on a faith someone else obviously also feels as strongly about as you do yours?

I didn't bash his faith. I simply pointed out that his beliefs do not make it fact and other people feel as strongly about their own beliefs.

I don't think I have to pander to someone who thinks they have the one true religion.

who says he rose from the dead? his followers?

in the gospel of mary, conveniently omitted at the council of nicea, she said his body 'disappeared'.
Yes, his disciples, and the Apostle Paul said Jesus was seen by 500 witnesses after he rose from the dead.

in the gospel of mary, conveniently omitted at the council of nicea, she said his body 'disappeared'.
Yes, his disciples, and the Apostle Paul said Jesus was seen by 500 witnesses after he rose from the dead.

and if you want to believe that, that's fine. :thup:

but understand that you can't use scripture to prove the veracity of scripture. mmmkay?

The Holy Spirit is Spirit. Therefore, not a human being. Therefore, neither male or female.

but understand that you can't use scripture to prove the veracity of scripture. mmmkay?
I can do whatever I want.

The Holy Spirit is Spirit. Therefore, not a human being. Therefore, neither male or female.

that is what *you* believe. I was taught it is both.

you have that right.

but it does make it a lot of nonsense that no one will believe except for people who already believe what you believe.

but it doesn't legitimize those beliefs.

You were taught error. God is a Spirit. God doesn't have sex organs, except for Jesus, who has a glorified male body.

you have that right.

but it does make it a lot of nonsense that no one will believe except for people who already believe what you believe.

but it doesn't legitimize those beliefs.
You say it's nonsense. You're one person with one opinion. That's pretty much nonsense to me.

Who else fed us when we hungered and healed us when we were sick?

Tell that to the hungry and ill.
Go to a church and eat a fragment of a saltine. His cracker flesh will have you satisfied for weeks.
Only if you believe, TN.

The power of Christ is not given to just any jack-a-nape.

The power of Christ compels you! The power of Christ compels you! The power of Christ compels you!

You were taught error. God is a Spirit. God doesn't have sex organs, except for Jesus, who has a glorified male body.

you can be wrong. that's your right. but it's kind of pathetic to question other people's faiths.... which is as valid to others as yours is to you. frankly, I find your beliefs silly. but it's your right to believe them.

now perhaps you should learn about things other people believe:

Shekinah is the English spelling of a grammatically feminine Hebrew word that means the dwelling or settling, and is used to denote the dwelling or settling divine presence of God, especially in the Temple in Jerusalem. The Shekinah is held by many to represent the feminine attributes of the presence of God.

Shekinah - Crystalinks

Forum List

Back