The War On Everyday Americans: Why Jobs Are Disappearing, & why universal basic income is our future

Jobs aren't necessarily 'disappearing.' Statistically speaking, the country is currently at 'Full Employment.' So the jobs are there. The real question is, are they good jobs? And sadly, for the most part they aren't.

Cant say that in my industry. We are currently looking for over 30,000 drivers we can't find. Americans don't want to do that kind of work for any money. Some of them are very good paying; close to six figures in some cases.

Drugs are a huge problem in this country. A shipper at a company that we pickup from often told me they need 14 new employees, so they had a seminar for new applicants that had about 45 people. The HR person conducting the seminar told everybody right up front that they drug screen all employees. Over half of the people walked out at that point. He went on further to say that their drug screening uses hair samples, and another 15 walked out.

They hired about six people, and none of them made it past the first few weeks. They were unproductive workers, always texting instead of working, incapable of understanding basic concepts of system operations.

The job starts out at $15.50 per hour, but he told me you quickly move up to $19.50 per hour as you learn new processes in the company. It's a union job as well, so if you're willing to work, they are willing to pay you.
Workers elsewhere have a lot more privacy than we do, and drug and alcohol testing is prohibited. Thanks GOP.
U.S. Drug-Testing Rules Do Not Translate Overseas

Drug testing has been going on for the last couple of decades. WTF do you mean "thanks GOP?" WTF does a political party have to do with private industry drug testing applicants and employees?
Everything Reagan started drug testing the government workers and contractors... Where have you been?
The GOP's Drug-Testing Dragnet

I actually agree with you for the most part on drug testing in the workplace. It's gotten out of control. Predictably, it's being abused. It's become an invasion of privacy overreach.

I mean, drug testing a lowly Walmart worker? They're already being degraded enough, accepting such a shitty job. I can understand drug testing with certain occupations, but it's clearly being abused now. Thankfully, more & more businesses are moving towards ditching the practice.

A lowly Walmart worker drives a forklift.

You get your foot run over by one by a drug addict and tell us how it feels.

according to research, a UBI of 1K per month would increase GDP by 12 percent because it would enable poor folks to spend more and increase overall demand!

in 2017, only 33 percent of Americans were engaged at work, 16 percent were miserable, and 51 percent were just physically present.

Cant say that in my industry. We are currently looking for over 30,000 drivers we can't find. Americans don't want to do that kind of work for any money. Some of them are very good paying; close to six figures in some cases.

Drugs are a huge problem in this country. A shipper at a company that we pickup from often told me they need 14 new employees, so they had a seminar for new applicants that had about 45 people. The HR person conducting the seminar told everybody right up front that they drug screen all employees. Over half of the people walked out at that point. He went on further to say that their drug screening uses hair samples, and another 15 walked out.

They hired about six people, and none of them made it past the first few weeks. They were unproductive workers, always texting instead of working, incapable of understanding basic concepts of system operations.

The job starts out at $15.50 per hour, but he told me you quickly move up to $19.50 per hour as you learn new processes in the company. It's a union job as well, so if you're willing to work, they are willing to pay you.
Workers elsewhere have a lot more privacy than we do, and drug and alcohol testing is prohibited. Thanks GOP.

Drug testing has been going on for the last couple of decades. WTF do you mean "thanks GOP?" WTF does a political party have to do with private industry drug testing applicants and employees?
Everything Reagan started drug testing the government workers and contractors... Where have you been?

I actually agree with you for the most part on drug testing in the workplace. It's gotten out of control. Predictably, it's being abused. It's become an invasion of privacy overreach.

I mean, drug testing a lowly Walmart worker? They're already being degraded enough, accepting such a shitty job. I can understand drug testing with certain occupations, but it's clearly being abused now. Thankfully, more & more businesses are moving towards ditching the practice.

A lowly Walmart worker drives a forklift.

You get your foot run over by one by a drug addict and tell us how it feels.

It's become an invasion of privacy overreach. It's being abused. McDonalds and Walmart jobs are degrading enough. Let them at least hang onto some of their dignity, by preserving their right to privacy.

Thankfully, more & more businesses are moving away from mandatory drug testing. Folks need to have some dignity and have their right to privacy respected. When it comes to accepting shitty Walmart and McDonalds jobs, that's all they have left to hope for.

people are literally starving to death. we can do better. THAT'S NOT MY AMERICA!

i'm gonna raise the dreaded word: "IQ"...you have to be pretty high on the IQ scale to have to be trainable for the jobs that are created...Amazon just automated their warehouses, for example

i'm gonna raise the dreaded word: "IQ"...you have to be pretty high on the IQ scale to have to be trainable for the jobs that are created...Amazon just automated their warehouses, for example

Amazon has developed a pretty nasty reputation in regards to how it treats its workers. They not only endure shitty wages, they're constantly harassed by management. Their every movement is electronically tracked. They're basically slaves.

$10-11 an hour and constantly harassed, isn't a pleasant way to spend your day. Meanwhile, Amazon continues to rake in $Billions. So i can understand folks' frustration about having their privacy invaded as well. No one wants to be a slave.

some studies say 50 percent of jobs will be lost to automation. the OECD says it will be 10 percent.

we dont have to have "universal". the affluent need not get money. but the poor and the needy need basic income!

Hmmm...how about getting a fricken job.
His claim is that there won't be any jobs at those levels anymore, yet the wild unprotected sex creating millions of babies goes on and on and on. I view the UBI as the same message that open borders and sanctuary cities gives out. It's a bad message that destroys the merit base incentive system that has been in place for decades.

Jobs aren't necessarily 'disappearing.' Statistically speaking, the country is currently at 'Full Employment.' So the jobs are there. The real question is, are they good jobs? And sadly, for the most part they aren't.

People shouldn't be working high no matter where they work. I can't believe you actually have taken a position like that in concerns of the nation needing a drug free workplace.

You want your wife and kids being waited on by someone high at their station in the Walmart ?? I don't.

3 to 6 million good technical jobs are going begging because the GOP blocks cheap training and education for them, all to save the rich from paying taxes, dumbass.

The block is in your head. The GOP never blocked anything. Anybody that wants such training can get it. Take a loan out, work for a few years and save money. But just because taxpayers won't fund it doesn't mean it's blocked except to Commies.
So according to your ridiculous brainwashed give away to the rich ideology, just watch the middle class and the non-rich go to hell along with the rest of the country, as amazingly we lose out to countries with very few natural resources, through Sheer idiocy... Great job!

You commies might not believe this, but people can do just fine without government wiping their ass every time they go to the bathroom. If you want to be rich, work at it, nobody is stopping you. If you want an advanced education, pay for it, nobody is stopping you, if you want to learn a trade, learn it, nobody is stopping you.

If you people had to live without government one day in your life you'd starve to death. Our founders would be ashamed with such a society today.

Are you rich? Do you have an advanced education? No, you drive a truck. And without government you have nothing. Where you going to drive that truck with no roads?

Government is good for some things but not most. That's why our founders listed in the Constitution what our federal government is responsible for. Government is supposed to provide good for all people--not people of a particular party or group while ignoring or taking away from others.
Exactly what the GOP has been doing the last 35 years, a giveaway to the rich and screwing the rest d u h....

any transfer of wealth from a rich person to a poor person is a good thing!

People shouldn't be working high no matter where they work. I can't believe you actually have taken a position like that in concerns of the nation needing a drug free workplace.

You want your wife and kids being waited on by someone high at their station in the Walmart ?? I don't.
Of course not, don't be ridiculous..

a UBI would be cheaper and more effective than what we do now, economically. If you take the total amount we spend on anti-poverty programs and divide by the number of poor people, there should be no poor people!

Poor people aren’t lazy, they’re trapped in the current system. A UBI is not contingent on staying poor, so it would both lift people out of poverty and flatten out the benefits cliff. Of course, this means that the new UBI would be instead of existing programs, rather than a supplement, and not everyone agrees with that.

Finally, there is crude "realpolitik." Plenty of very wealthy people already live in the US, and the new economy is likely to create inequality on steroids. In a democracy, the poor and middle class have many tools to “negotiate” redistribution at gunpoint.
Jobs are disappearing because everybody has two of them, or so I hear.

Reagan's favorite thing was the earned income tax credit. its pro-work and anti-poverty!

Any job except maybe rocket science or the medical profession can be broken down or simplified for anyone with a functional brain cell to understand and then do.

I'd say 85% of the jobs in America can be simplified, and learned then worked by anyone who graduated the 8th grade if one applies their God given talent along with that education. Of course higher education is much better in order to make life easier for the people who go on to excell to their max potential, but most jobs are actually complicated for class separation, and monitary value in order to create class levels in society.

Nothing wrong with putting merit based doorways in place to push people to be there very best in life, but let's face it folks, most of the jobs are actually hipe instead of being actual jobs that take highly educated individuals to work them.

3 to 6 million good technical jobs are going begging because the GOP blocks cheap training and education for them, all to save the rich from paying taxes, dumbass.

The block is in your head. The GOP never blocked anything. Anybody that wants such training can get it. Take a loan out, work for a few years and save money. But just because taxpayers won't fund it doesn't mean it's blocked except to Commies.
So according to your ridiculous brainwashed give away to the rich ideology, just watch the middle class and the non-rich go to hell along with the rest of the country, as amazingly we lose out to countries with very few natural resources, through Sheer idiocy... Great job!

You commies might not believe this, but people can do just fine without government wiping their ass every time they go to the bathroom. If you want to be rich, work at it, nobody is stopping you. If you want an advanced education, pay for it, nobody is stopping you, if you want to learn a trade, learn it, nobody is stopping you.

If you people had to live without government one day in your life you'd starve to death. Our founders would be ashamed with such a society today.

Are you rich? Do you have an advanced education? No, you drive a truck. And without government you have nothing. Where you going to drive that truck with no roads?

Government is good for some things but not most. That's why our founders listed in the Constitution what our federal government is responsible for. Government is supposed to provide good for all people--not people of a particular party or group while ignoring or taking away from others.
We used to have the greatest generation and unions to to protect the non rich, now we need the government.

He didn't make it the law of the land and businesses didn't start doing it because of Reagan. You blame thunderstorms on Reagan because you know nothing about politics. Businesses get cheaper rates on Workman's Compensation insurance if they drug test. That's what it's all about. It's why teachers, police officers and firemen don't take drug tests in many cases; because government doesn't care about saving taxpayers money.
And that's how the GOP got everybody drug testing d u h...

Amazon has developed a pretty nasty reputation in regards to how it treats its workers. They not only endure shitty wages, they're constantly harassed by management. Their every movement is electronically tracked. They're basically slaves.

$10-11 an hour and constantly harassed, isn't a pleasant way to spend your day. Meanwhile, Amazon continues to rake in $Billions. So i can understand folks' frustration about having their privacy invaded as well. No one wants to be a slave.
Yes, in a situation like that the workers need to be unionized.

Exactly what the GOP has been doing the last 35 years, a giveaway to the rich and screwing the rest d u h....

What exactly is being "given" to the rich? Are you referring to the income they earned? Regarding the poor, we spent a trillion dollars on them last year. What the hell happened?

Forum List

Back