Theses Senators who voted against Betsy DeVos, send their kids to private schools, not public....

Vouchers is the main thing she wants. How can you support her without supporting vouchers? And how can you say she is going to do any better for public schools when Michigan's public school system has done so poorly? They ranked 34th in one report and got a C- grade in another.

You want to list Michigan public schools DeVos was assisting? Blaming her is pretty funny.

Her entire qualification for her position as Secretary of Education came from what she did to help education in Michigan... well at least that's what we've been told. When in actuality it was because her family has donated over $200 million to the Republican party.

How do the kids get to these private schools? Do they have busing?

Probably piss off the chauffer...

Seriously, we had to arrange transportation. Usually we did it ourselves. It was an opportunity to see the staff daily. If we had been a couple of blocks closer, the kids would have walked. The public schools will bus a kid two blocks to school.
Most states have established a two mile limit; that is they consider up to two miles a reasonable distance for children to walk to school. However, districts are allowed to make exceptions for various reasons. In areas the district considers unsafe for children to walk or places with very bad weather conditions, or the need to transport disabled children are common reason for having bus stops within the limit. The maximum distance is usually the school attendance boundary, however there are always exceptions.

Because I really do like Care4All

Property taxes have millages attached. This is a percentage of the property's value and is used to help fund schools. The money is collected locally and sent to the state, which in turn divides the money and sends it back to schools.

The amounts is the same per student and a count is taken twice a year to see how many are in the school. Amount per student times the number of students. Locally schools can ask for more money through additional millages. Say for new buses, buildings, sports or other programs.

The question then becomes can that money be retasked for private or selective schools? Aka vouchers. Nothing about paying for schools through property ownership is fair. You pay whether you have kids or not. You pay regardless of where your kids attend school. For example schools of choice let kids from one town go to another town's school.

I never made a fuss, because it was our choice to do something different and supporting our local school at least economically was what a good citizen does. Interestingly though, it was sad when people said I should have no say in what our local schools were, since I sent my kids elsewhere. Really?

Her entire qualification for her position as Secretary of Education came from what she did to help education in Michigan... well at least that's what we've been told. When in actuality it was because her family has donated over $200 million to the Republican party.

It came from her experience with better nonpublic schools.

How do the kids get to these private schools? Do they have busing?

Probably piss off the chauffer...

Seriously, we had to arrange transportation. Usually we did it ourselves. It was an opportunity to see the staff daily. If we had been a couple of blocks closer, the kids would have walked. The public schools will bus a kid two blocks to school.
Most states have established a two mile limit; that is they consider up to two miles a reasonable distance for children to walk to school. However, districts are allowed to make exceptions for various reasons. In areas the district considers unsafe for children to walk or places with very bad weather conditions, or the need to transport disabled children are common reason for having bus stops within the limit. The maximum distance is usually the school attendance boundary, however there are always exceptions.

I walked to school, probably what made me the unreasonable person I am today. :)

Because I really do like Care4All

Property taxes have millages attached. This is a percentage of the property's value and is used to help fund schools. The money is collected locally and sent to the state, which in turn divides the money and sends it back to schools.

The amounts is the same per student and a count is taken twice a year to see how many are in the school. Amount per student times the number of students. Locally schools can ask for more money through additional millages. Say for new buses, buildings, sports or other programs.

The question then becomes can that money be retasked for private or selective schools? Aka vouchers. Nothing about paying for schools through property ownership is fair. You pay whether you have kids or not. You pay regardless of where your kids attend school. For example schools of choice let kids from one town go to another town's school.

I never made a fuss, because it was our choice to do something different and supporting our local school at least economically was what a good citizen does. Interestingly though, it was sad when people said I should have no say in what our local schools were, since I sent my kids elsewhere. Really?
Trust me, I know how unfair property taxes are that fund the local schools, the hubby and I were never able to have kids together, and we have been paying for everyone elses kids for several decades now, and we too felt it was our civic duty, at least during child bearing years and k-12 years of our marriage, but now that we are older and only one of us is still working and our income is limited, we find it a bit unfair....th whole idea of property tax....paying year after year after year after year a tax on the property we own for other people's kids to go to school and whatever else they use the money for.... we don't even have a police department or fire department in my town, have no idea what they use the money for....they don't even plow my road, because it is a private road and the main road down the way is the last to get plowed! I guess, I am just in my "tax bitchin' mood"!

hahahaha! :D

Trust me, I know how unfair property taxes are that fund the local schools, the hubby and I were never able to have kids together, and we have been paying for everyone elses kids for several decades now, and we too felt it was our civic duty, at least during child bearing years and k-12 years of our marriage, but now that we are older and only one of us is still working and our income is limited, we find it a bit unfair....th whole idea of property tax....paying year after year after year after year a tax on the property we own for other people's kids to go to school and whatever else they use the money for.... we don't even have a police department or fire department in my town, have no idea what they use the money for....they don't even plow my road, because it is a private road and the main road down the way is the last to get plowed! I guess, I am just in my "tax bitchin' mood"!

Sorry about giving you a rough time earlier. :smiliehug:

Owning a home seems like a good thing for society. Permanency, responsible and self reliant are good things. I can see if you are renting out a house, have a vacation home or second one. Sort of a luxury deal.

I always like sales tax, because the consumer has a say in what or how much they consume.

Vouchers is the main thing she wants. How can you support her without supporting vouchers? And how can you say she is going to do any better for public schools when Michigan's public school system has done so poorly? They ranked 34th in one report and got a C- grade in another.

You want to list Michigan public schools DeVos was assisting? Blaming her is pretty funny.

She is there to promote school choice which is a very small part of the responsibilities of the DOE. People like her are figure heads. Trump will nominate two people as her deputies and about dozen under secretaries and assistance to the secretary of secretary to be approved by the Senate. These people will be political appointments with hopeful some experience in education but of course not required.

Beneath this tower of political bull shit, lies the career employees, that actual run the government and make most of the important decisions.

She is there to promote school choice which is a very small part of the responsibilities of the DOE. People like her are figure heads. Trump will nominate two people as her deputies and about dozen under secretaries and assistance to the secretary of secretary to be approved by the Senate. These people will be political appointments with hopeful some experience in education but of course not required.

Beneath this tower of political bull shit, lies the career employees, that actual run the government and make most of the important decisions.

Obamacare didn't really address affordability or quality of care either. Looking to government to fix educationis a fool's errand.

So RICH DEMOCRATS send their kids to private school and are smart enough to know that destroying public educations hurts their constituents more than any other group, they are trying to protect the children they represent.

Notice how the bullshit thread manages to totally ignore how many RICH CONSERVATIVES send their kids to private schools...conservative bullshit at it's finest.
So Conservatives decided that the following are the best credentials in which to guide and run public education in this country:
Never attended a public elementary school.
Never attended a public middle school.
Never attended a public high school.

Children never attended a public elementary school.
Children never attended a public middle school.
Children never attended a public high school.

Was never a teacher in a public elementary school.
Was never a teacher in a public middle school.
Was never a teacher in a public high school.

Was never an administrator in a public elementary school.
Was never an administrator in a public middle school.
Was never an administrator in a public high school.

Has no undergraduate teaching education.
Has no Master's level teaching education.
Has no PhD level teaching education.

Has no knowledge of how schools are funded.
Has no knowledge of special education funding.
Has no knowledge of special education performance or IEP.
Has no knowledge of school performance measures.

Has no knowledge of the field at all.

So this is who the republicans decided was the MOST QUALIFIED person in the United States to run education in this country.

Start a thread on that...

So RICH DEMOCRATS send their kids to private school and are smart enough to know that destroying public educations hurts their constituents more than any other group, they are trying to protect the children they represent.

Notice how the bullshit thread manages to totally ignore how many RICH CONSERVATIVES send their kids to private schools...conservative bullshit at it's finest.
So Conservatives decided that the following are the best credentials in which to guide and run public education in this country:
Never attended a public elementary school.
Never attended a public middle school.
Never attended a public high school.

Children never attended a public elementary school.
Children never attended a public middle school.
Children never attended a public high school.

Was never a teacher in a public elementary school.
Was never a teacher in a public middle school.
Was never a teacher in a public high school.

Was never an administrator in a public elementary school.
Was never an administrator in a public middle school.
Was never an administrator in a public high school.

Has no undergraduate teaching education.
Has no Master's level teaching education.
Has no PhD level teaching education.

Has no knowledge of how schools are funded.
Has no knowledge of special education funding.
Has no knowledge of special education performance or IEP.
Has no knowledge of school performance measures.

Has no knowledge of the field at all.

So this is who the republicans decided was the MOST QUALIFIED person in the United States to run education in this country.

Start a thread on that...

Might be a record deflection post.

Owning a home seems like a good thing for society. Permanency, responsible and self reliant are good things. I can see if you are renting out a house, have a vacation home or second one. Sort of a luxury deal.

I always like sales tax, because the consumer has a say in what or how much they consume.
We have property tax, sales tax, and an income tax here in Maine....by far, our property tax hurts the most cuz we are not that big of spenders, though we just bought a new car and the sales tax on that hurt....and since I stopped working our income tax is not as high with just 1 income....but that stupid property tax, stays the same or goes up, even with earning less...at least we don't have a mortgage...paid cash for the home...but the property tax is like having a forever mortgage that never gets paid off....

Obamacare didn't really address affordability or quality of care either. Looking to government to fix educationis a fool's errand.
The Dept of Education can not fix education. Only schools can do that. The Dept. provides service to schools, districts and states.
It's has four main functions:
To process and approve financial aid to education which provides financial support for 73% of students attending college.

• To mange the giant portfolio of federal college loans which are over a trillion dollars.
  • To evaluate and mange grant applications from schools, districts, and states which provide seed money for new programs.
  • To resolve civil rights complaints so they do not end up in court.
  • To establish standards for data collection and maintain databases of educational data for research purposes, the national report card, and grading of individual school performance.

The Dept of Education can not fix education. Only schools can do that. The Dept. provides service to schools, districts and states.
It's has four main functions:
To process and approve financial aid to education which provides financial support for 73% of students attending college.

• To mange the giant portfolio of federal college loans which are over a trillion dollars.
  • To evaluate and mange grant applications from schools, districts, and states which provide seed money for new programs.
  • To resolve civil rights complaints so they do not end up in court.
  • To establish standards for data collection and maintain databases of educational data for research purposes, the national report card, and grading of individual school performance.

...and the cost of college is outrageous. Thanks government loan program. You made it possible for colleges to over charge and still make it seem okay.

We have property tax, sales tax, and an income tax here in Maine....by far, our property tax hurts the most cuz we are not that big of spenders, though we just bought a new car and the sales tax on that hurt....and since I stopped working our income tax is not as high with just 1 income....but that stupid property tax, stays the same or goes up, even with earning less...at least we don't have a mortgage...paid cash for the home...but the property tax is like having a forever mortgage that never gets paid off....
There are advantages and disadvantages to all taxes. Property taxes provide the most steady income flow for school districts. This allows school districts to mange more effectively.

Yes...the democrats will condemn minority kids to hell holes for schools.......and happily send their own kids to private schools...from the salaries we pay them....

Well, well, well........the fake indian princess sent her kids to private schools....

Senators Opposed Vouchers Backer DeVos, Send THEIR Kids To Posh Private School

Sen. Al Franken, a Democrat representing Minnesota who was once an unfunny comedian with bit parts on “Saturday Night Live,” has two children who attend The Dalton School in New York City — 1,018 miles from Minneapolis and 226 miles from Washington, D.C.

The cost of a single year of tuition for students in kindergarten through 12th grade at Dalton is $44,640. This amount, which represents slightly more than the average household income in the state of Alabama, is “among the lowest of our peer schools,” the posh Upper East Side school trumpets. On Friday, lunch at Dalton scrumptiously featured sustainable green tea salmon, anasazi bean salad, fresh organic papaya yogurt and a pasta bar with both marinara sauce and puttanesca sauce.

Dalton is most famous because its administration called off this year’s ice-skating party after a large group of parents refused to send their children to the Trump Wollman Rink in Central Park for political reasons. (RELATED: ‘Liberal Moms’ Make Fancypants Manhattan Prep School Cancel Ice Skating Party At Trump Rink)

Elizabeth-Warren-Getty-Images-Kris-Connor-GOOD.jpg

Sen. Elizabeth Warren, a Democrat representing Massachusetts, has a granddaughter who rubs shoulders with the children of movie stars at the trendy Harvard-Westlake School in Los Angeles, California. Tuition at Harvard-Westlake costs $35,900 each year. There’s also a $2,000 fee for new students.

Harvard-Westlake offers a bevy of amazing opportunities for students including study-abroad programs in Spain, France, China, Italy and India. There’s also the Mountain School, “an independent semester program that provides high school juniors the opportunity to live and work on an organic farm in rural Vermont.”

Sheldon-Whitehouse-public-domain.jpg

Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, a Democrat representing Rhode Island and himself a private boarding school product, has two children. His daughter attended the Wheeler School, a coed day school in Providence where a single year of tuition for sixth grade through 12th grade currently costs $35,215.

Sixth graders at Wheeler spend a segment of the school year romping around at a 120-acre farm owned by the school. The “unique, place-based experience” includes “vigorous scientific leaf studies” and “examinations of poetry, art, and mathematical models deepened through the context of” the school-owned farm.

Whitehouse, who has owned stock in a for-profit charter school company, also sent his son to a St. George’s School, a private boarding school in a gorgeous hamlet on the seaside.

Annual tuition at St. George’s is currently $39,900. Boarding students pay $58,000.

St. George’s offers a special program which allows students to sail around the world for several week on a 69-foot sailboat “traveling in a grand loop from Rhode Island across to the Azores and Spain, through the Mediterranean to Italy and Greece, back to the Canary Islands and Puerto Rico.”

Kirsten-Gillibrand-public-domain.jpg

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, a Democrat representing New York and herself an alumna of the tony Emma Willard School, sends her two school-age children to Capitol Hill Day School, according to The Washington Post. Tuition at the private, progressive bastion currently runs $30,300.00 per year for sixth through eighth grades, $28,700.00 per year for first through fifth grades and $28,000.00 per year for preschoolers.

Instruction in French and Spanish begins in preschool at Capitol Hill Day School. Also, performing arts is a big deal. There are “operas based on children’s books,” for example, and the sixth graders put on a musical theater production.

Richard-Blumenthal-public-domain.jpg

Sen. Richard Blumenthal, a Democrat representing Connecticut, sent one of his four children to Brunswick School, a private, all-boys day school in Greenwich, according to the Connecticut Post. A year of high school tuition at Brunswick currently costs $40,450. Tuition for preschoolers costs $30,930 per year.

On Tuesday, grade school kids at Brunswick will enjoy a delicious lunch of barbecue antibiotic-free chicken sandwiches on Texas rolls.

Blumenthal sent another one of his kids to Greenwich Academy, an all-girls day school where high school tuition currently runs $41,890. A single year of prekindergarten at the private institution costs $37,470.

Tuesday’s lunch at Greenwich Academy includes potato leek soup, baked macaroni and cheese and braised red cabbage.

Maggie-Hassan-public-domain.jpg

Sen. Maggie Hassan, a Democrat representing New Hampshire, has two children. Her daughter attended Phillips Exeter Academy, one of the most notable fancypants private schools in the United States. Hassan’s husband, Thomas, was the principal of Phillips Exeter at the time. The cost for a year of tuition and fees at Phillips Exeter is currently $37,875. Boarding students pay $48,550.

The lunch menu at Phillips Exeter features “authentic recipes from around the world” and “more than 5,000 recipes in regular rotation.” Dinner selections for boarders include “grilled steak tips, fettuccine alfredo, palak paneer or quinoa with nuts.” Also, all dining staffers — “from chefs to dishwashers” receive “training in food allergens.”

Bob-Casey-public-domain.jpg

Sen. Bob Casey, a Democrat representing Pennsylvania, sent his daughters to Scranton Preparatory School, a private Jesuit school where a year of tuition costs $13,400. Casey is also an alumnus of Scranton Prep.

Every classroom at Scranton Prep offers cutting-edge technology and contains “the very latest in interactive instructional technology.” There’s also a very impressive 34,000-square-foot building dedicated to the arts and sciences which features “state-of-the-art science classrooms and laboratories as well as a magnificent theater that seats 875 people.”

Read more: Senators Opposed Vouchers Backer DeVos, Send THEIR Kids To Posh Private School
So...you don't believe in School Choice.

I believe in school choice for all American kids......even poor kids trapped in the very schools these democrats have destroyed.......that is why those poor kids should get vouchers for the full expense of their public education and should be able to attend the same schools the kids of these Senators go to......
First of all, School vouchers are a joke.

Like some poor kid 's voucher will get him into one of your mentioned schools. This is thew lie you & the DeVos is telling.

They tried to pass school vouchers here in PA. At first, they targeted the lower 144 school districts & then opened it to all based on income.

A study found that 8% of the money would go to kids in those poorer 144 districts. 65% would go to parents whose kids were already in private school.

The money from these vouchers come out of the budgets of the schools where these kids live. AS you pat yourself on the back for saving a couple of kids, you abandon the rest in a poor district with now less money.

The amount of these vouchers do not cover 100% of the tuition. How many poor kid's parents can afford the balance?

Yes...the democrats will condemn minority kids to hell holes for schools.......and happily send their own kids to private schools...from the salaries we pay them....

Well, well, well........the fake indian princess sent her kids to private schools....

Sen. Al Franken, a Democrat representing Minnesota who was once an unfunny comedian with bit parts on “Saturday Night Live,” has two children who attend The Dalton School in New York City — 1,018 miles from Minneapolis and 226 miles from Washington, D.C.

The cost of a single year of tuition for students in kindergarten through 12th grade at Dalton is $44,640. This amount, which represents slightly more than the average household income in the state of Alabama, is “among the lowest of our peer schools,” the posh Upper East Side school trumpets. On Friday, lunch at Dalton scrumptiously featured sustainable green tea salmon, anasazi bean salad, fresh organic papaya yogurt and a pasta bar with both marinara sauce and puttanesca sauce.

Dalton is most famous because its administration called off this year’s ice-skating party after a large group of parents refused to send their children to the Trump Wollman Rink in Central Park for political reasons. (RELATED: ‘Liberal Moms’ Make Fancypants Manhattan Prep School Cancel Ice Skating Party At Trump Rink)

Sen. Elizabeth Warren, a Democrat representing Massachusetts, has a granddaughter who rubs shoulders with the children of movie stars at the trendy Harvard-Westlake School in Los Angeles, California. Tuition at Harvard-Westlake costs $35,900 each year. There’s also a $2,000 fee for new students.

Harvard-Westlake offers a bevy of amazing opportunities for students including study-abroad programs in Spain, France, China, Italy and India. There’s also the Mountain School, “an independent semester program that provides high school juniors the opportunity to live and work on an organic farm in rural Vermont.”

Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, a Democrat representing Rhode Island and himself a private boarding school product, has two children. His daughter attended the Wheeler School, a coed day school in Providence where a single year of tuition for sixth grade through 12th grade currently costs $35,215.

Sixth graders at Wheeler spend a segment of the school year romping around at a 120-acre farm owned by the school. The “unique, place-based experience” includes “vigorous scientific leaf studies” and “examinations of poetry, art, and mathematical models deepened through the context of” the school-owned farm.

Whitehouse, who has owned stock in a for-profit charter school company, also sent his son to a St. George’s School, a private boarding school in a gorgeous hamlet on the seaside.

Annual tuition at St. George’s is currently $39,900. Boarding students pay $58,000.

St. George’s offers a special program which allows students to sail around the world for several week on a 69-foot sailboat “traveling in a grand loop from Rhode Island across to the Azores and Spain, through the Mediterranean to Italy and Greece, back to the Canary Islands and Puerto Rico.”

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, a Democrat representing New York and herself an alumna of the tony Emma Willard School, sends her two school-age children to Capitol Hill Day School, according to The Washington Post. Tuition at the private, progressive bastion currently runs $30,300.00 per year for sixth through eighth grades, $28,700.00 per year for first through fifth grades and $28,000.00 per year for preschoolers.

Instruction in French and Spanish begins in preschool at Capitol Hill Day School. Also, performing arts is a big deal. There are “operas based on children’s books,” for example, and the sixth graders put on a musical theater production.

Sen. Richard Blumenthal, a Democrat representing Connecticut, sent one of his four children to Brunswick School, a private, all-boys day school in Greenwich, according to the Connecticut Post. A year of high school tuition at Brunswick currently costs $40,450. Tuition for preschoolers costs $30,930 per year.

On Tuesday, grade school kids at Brunswick will enjoy a delicious lunch of barbecue antibiotic-free chicken sandwiches on Texas rolls.

Blumenthal sent another one of his kids to Greenwich Academy, an all-girls day school where high school tuition currently runs $41,890. A single year of prekindergarten at the private institution costs $37,470.

Tuesday’s lunch at Greenwich Academy includes potato leek soup, baked macaroni and cheese and braised red cabbage.

Sen. Maggie Hassan, a Democrat representing New Hampshire, has two children. Her daughter attended Phillips Exeter Academy, one of the most notable fancypants private schools in the United States. Hassan’s husband, Thomas, was the principal of Phillips Exeter at the time. The cost for a year of tuition and fees at Phillips Exeter is currently $37,875. Boarding students pay $48,550.

The lunch menu at Phillips Exeter features “authentic recipes from around the world” and “more than 5,000 recipes in regular rotation.” Dinner selections for boarders include “grilled steak tips, fettuccine alfredo, palak paneer or quinoa with nuts.” Also, all dining staffers — “from chefs to dishwashers” receive “training in food allergens.”

Sen. Bob Casey, a Democrat representing Pennsylvania, sent his daughters to Scranton Preparatory School, a private Jesuit school where a year of tuition costs $13,400. Casey is also an alumnus of Scranton Prep.

Every classroom at Scranton Prep offers cutting-edge technology and contains “the very latest in interactive instructional technology.” There’s also a very impressive 34,000-square-foot building dedicated to the arts and sciences which features “state-of-the-art science classrooms and laboratories as well as a magnificent theater that seats 875 people.”

Read more: Senators Opposed Vouchers Backer DeVos, Send THEIR Kids To Posh Private School
What does that have to do with DeVos being qualified or not

There are advantages and disadvantages to all taxes. Property taxes provide the most steady income flow for school districts. This allows school districts to mange more effectively.

It would take years to transition, but I wonder if you could collect income taxes from graduating students? That would reward schools that produce better educated students or at least a lot of graduates.

First of all, School vouchers are a joke.

Like some poor kid 's voucher will get him into one of your mentioned schools. This is thew lie you & the DeVos is telling.

They tried to pass school vouchers here in PA. At first, they targeted the lower 144 school districts & then opened it to all based on income.

A study found that 8% of the money would go to kids in those poorer 144 districts. 65% would go to parents whose kids were already in private school.

The money from these vouchers come out of the budgets of the schools where these kids live. AS you pat yourself on the back for saving a couple of kids, you abandon the rest in a poor district with now less money.

The amount of these vouchers do not cover 100% of the tuition. How many poor kid's parents can afford the balance?

I'd pay for some remedial grammar classes for you if it helps.

What does that have to do with DeVos being qualified or not

They voted against her because the unions don't support school vouchers.....it takes money away from the unions, who launder it for the democrat party.

Forum List

Back