Time for a new system

frigidweirdo

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2014
Okay, simple fact, the last Republican presidential candidate to win an election not as the incumbent was way back in 1988. Yeah, go figure.

However that's not the main reason I want proportional representation. I've been talking about it for a while.

Proportional Representation is real democracy. It's the will of the people.

What happened on Tuesday was not the will of the people. Most people seems to hate Hillary AND Trump and voted for one or the other because they didn't want the other to get in. That's a pretty shitty system. It's clearly the people who control everything pushing you into a decision you don't want.

PR allows you to vote for whoever you want and if that party reaches the threshold (like in Germany it's 5%) then they get a member of parliament.

The Presidential vote should get rid of the electoral college, it's so outdated it's ridiculous. Have a "whoever gets the most votes wins" and a run off election, so people can vote whoever they like in round one, and then the top two get to go in a run off (or potentially any candidate who gets more than 33% goes into the next round).

This is the only way for people to have a say.

People wanted change with Trump, there is no change. In 8 years time it'll be back to the same old, same old.

Okay, simple fact, the last Republican presidential candidate to win an election not as the incumbent was way back in 1988. Yeah, go figure.

However that's not the main reason I want proportional representation. I've been talking about it for a while.

What happened on Tuesday was not the will of the people. Most people seems to hate Hillary AND Trump and voted for one or the other because they didn't want the other to get in. That's a pretty shitty system. It's clearly the people who control everything pushing you into a decision you don't want.

PR allows you to vote for whoever you want and if that party reaches the threshold (like in Germany it's 5%) then they get a member of parliament.

The Presidential vote should get rid of the electoral college, it's so outdated it's ridiculous. Have a "whoever gets the most votes wins" and a run off election, so people can vote whoever they like in round one, and then the top two get to go in a run off (or potentially any candidate who gets more than 33% goes into the next round).

People wanted change with Trump, there is no change. In 8 years time it'll be back to the same old, same old.

You'll need a constitutional amendment.

Best of luck.

It's very simple. The Presidency needs to be changed to a popular plurality election. However, you're only crying about this right now because your candidate lost.

A democracy requires safeguards. The constitution and the bill of rights are our safeguards. Pure democracy can be a very bad thing. Haven't you ever seen Lord of the Flies? What are they teaching in our schools? Proportional representation? no thanks.

Best of luck.

Yes, I know. But first it needs support of the people. Get enough people behind it, and the amendment isn't so hard.

Problem is, the voters seems to be more interested in the entertainment side of the election process. They couldn't give a rat's ass about whether they have democracy or not, as long as they can complain about it when it doesn't suit them.

It's very simple. The Presidency needs to be changed to a popular plurality election. However, you're only crying about this right now because your candidate lost.

No, I'm not. If you had seen my posts over the last few months, and even before, I've spoken about PR a lot. I've been saying all along, Trump isn't real change, when people say Hillary isn't change, because the system doesn't change, nothing changes, even if you have Trump.

But hey, just fling the attacks at me based on not knowing anything about me.

A democracy requires safeguards. The constitution and the bill of rights are our safeguards. Pure democracy can be a very bad thing. Haven't you ever seen Lord of the Flies? What are they teaching in our schools? Proportional representation? no thanks.

Then again I'm not talking about "pure democracy".

PR WORKS in many countries.

It works in Germany much better than the US system. They still have a stable system, and it allows people to make their own choices.

You're basically saying you like being told who to vote for, and yet many Trump voters (are you one of these people?) have been screaming the election is rigged. Now Trump won, oh, all of a sudden it's not rigged any more.

"Okay, simple fact, the last Republican presidential candidate to win an election not as the incumbent was way back in 1988. Yeah, go figure."

You mean the last one who won the "popular" vote.

Oh yeah, thanks for point that out.

The Electoral College MUST Stay

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2000/12/p-andrew-sandlin/why-the-electoral-college/
The Electoral College Creates a Consensus

When the Constitution was drafted, America was still an almost entirely rural society. There were no up-to-the-minute political news flashes, inside-the-Beltway talking-head TV programs, or even daily newspaper accounts of the latest national political goings-on. It was sometimes weeks, or even months, before political news from other states arrived in one's home state.

In this atmosphere, the Founders were concerned that a popular regional candidate in a populous area may be able to garner enough votes to win the election, particularly if several other candidates divided the balance of the vote. This regionally popular first candidatewould not likely have the interests of the entire number of states – the nation itself – at heart. If a candidate needed to win only the popular vote, it would possible for him to be elected President without winning a majority of anything. He would not have been elected on the basis of any sort of consensus of the states, but simply on his popularity in a particular state or in two or three heavily populated areas. Forcing a candidate to win a majority of the states' electoral votes obliges a candidate to appeal to the entire nation – or at least to a wider portion of the population than simply a few densely populated cities or areas. It is not sufficient for a candidate to be hugely popular in Philadelphia or New York City, for example. He needs to make his case in other places in order to garner the electors necessary to gain the Presidency.

Article 2 of the Constitution and its 12th Amendment stipulate that the President is chosen by electors, who are themselves chosen by the state, "in such manner as the legislature thereof may direct … equal to the whole number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress."

True (and true.)

Better yet why don't we trash winner takes all states and go to electors by congressional district and over all winner get the two electors that represent senators of the state.

True (and true.)

I don't think the president should be elected by NY, Calif and the NE region.

When the Constitution was drafted, America was still an almost entirely rural society. There were no up-to-the-minute political news flashes, inside-the-Beltway talking-head TV programs, or even daily newspaper accounts of the latest national political goings-on. It was sometimes weeks, or even months, before political news from other states arrived in one's home state.

In this atmosphere, the Founders were concerned that a popular regional candidate in a populous area may be able to garner enough votes to win the election, particularly if several other candidates divided the balance of the vote. This regionally popular first candidatewould not likely have the interests of the entire number of states – the nation itself – at heart. If a candidate needed to win only the popular vote, it would possible for him to be elected President without winning a majority of anything. He would not have been elected on the basis of any sort of consensus of the states, but simply on his popularity in a particular state or in two or three heavily populated areas. Forcing a candidate to win a majority of the states' electoral votes obliges a candidate to appeal to the entire nation – or at least to a wider portion of the population than simply a few densely populated cities or areas. It is not sufficient for a candidate to be hugely popular in Philadelphia or New York City, for example. He needs to make his case in other places in order to garner the electors necessary to gain the Presidency.

Article 2 of the Constitution and its 12th Amendment stipulate that the President is chosen by electors, who are themselves chosen by the state, "in such manner as the legislature thereof may direct … equal to the whole number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress."

Wow, amazing how the people have changed so quickly.

Two days ago it was CHANGE, CHANGE, CHANGE, it's corrupt, it's wrong. Now it's "it must say" because.... well because people have been told to say that it should stay because it's good for the main two parties. We don't want change any more.

Oh, yeah, let's be like Europe. That's brilliant.

ummmm... no.

Wow, amazing how the people have changed so quickly.

Two days ago it was CHANGE, CHANGE, CHANGE, it's corrupt, it's wrong. Now it's "it must say" because.... well because people have been told to say that it should stay because it's good for the main two parties. We don't want change any more.

Asked and answered.

Best of luck.

Yes, I know. But first it needs support of the people. Get enough people behind it, and the amendment isn't so hard.

Problem is, the voters seems to be more interested in the entertainment side of the election process. They couldn't give a rat's ass about whether they have democracy or not, as long as they can complain about it when it doesn't suit them.

We are a Republic, not a democracy.

You want mob rule then, many more states voted for trump. If Hildabeast wins the popular vote it would be California that would push her over the top. No way in hell should California be dictating what goes on in this country. What are you stupid in the head or what?

Then again I'm not talking about "pure democracy".

PR WORKS in many countries.

It works in Germany much better than the US system. They still have a stable system, and it allows people to make their own choices.

You're basically saying you like being told who to vote for, and yet many Trump voters (are you one of these people?) have been screaming the election is rigged. Now Trump won, oh, all of a sudden it's not rigged any more.
We need nothing from Europe, Europe is a incestuous socialist society. Take European socialism and shove it up your ass then move there. Lol

Forum List

Back