Trump Admits His Threat To Lock Up Hillary Was Just For Show

Yes. It is a stretch to think that millions of people could believe things that aren't true and use that belief to make a voting decision.

Things like Trump promising to jail Clinton. Things like Trump building a wall and deporting all undocumented immigrants. Things like Hillary Clinton being crooked or on her death bed.

Who'd believe these things? Why....clearly intelligent people who have America's best interests at heart, that's who.

Straight up......Clinton didn't earn her negative approval rating. She wasn't able to overcome it.....but she shouldn't have had to. Gullible people.....and lots of people who didn't invest enough time.....perceive her to be dishonest and corrupt. And...as Meathead has so clearly stated in this thread....that perception is all that matters.
Hillary's own actions reinforced the perception that she is a sleaze and, as you put it, on her death bed. Fainting in public on September 11th and unbridled mendacity is not the way to put those perceptions to rest.

Perception and elections do indeed matter. This latest general election bore witness to just that.

If you are sophisticated enough to understand that Hilary was not going to be locked up, then I am surprised you call the meme a wasted effort when it was in fact very successful in reinforcing and reminding of the larger meme of "Crooked Hillary".
It just plays into what I've believed all along: There is no reason to believe a thing that a partisan says.

My concern is that we have real problems that need to be addressed, and blatant, rampant, open, constant dishonesty isn't usually the way to fix problems.

And by the way, I also don't believe for a moment that there aren't plenty of Trumpsters in those rallies who were taking this "Lock Her Up" thing seriously.
I'm going to break something to you here Mac. I hope you're sitting down for this one.

There is no Santa Clause, not even an Easter Bunny!

Sorry.
You may want to tell that to the Trumpsters who will be disappointed by this development.

And please, let's not call them "sophisticated" again.
The "sophistication" I referred to was about you and in the conditional.
Ah, okay. I'm just not as sophisticated as a Trumpster, stipulated.

I do know enough not to believe partisans, though, and that includes Trumpsters' spin to cover their disappointment. Here's what is actually happening:

‘Hillary for Prison’ Crew Turns on Donald Trump

Trump told the Times, regarding his supporters, “I don’t think they’ll be disappointed.”

He thought wrong.

Many of Trump’s more high-profile fans, surrogates, and allies are angry about this about-face and insist “Crooked Hillary”—as Trump dubbed her throughout the campaign—be locked up.

“I’m hearing from people who are livid at Hillary, they’re still mad,” Rush Limbaugh, the famous conservative talk show host, said on Tuesday afternoon. “There are a lot of people who really thought that when Trump said ‘You oughta be in jail,’ that they agreed with that and thought that she should be!”

“Whoa! I thought we elected [Donald Trump] president,” Ann Coulter, conservative pundit and one of Trump’s most loyal media boosters, tweeted in response to the news. “Did we make him the FBI, & DOJ? His job is to pick those guys, not do their jobs.

“As happy as I am that our long national nightmare’s over, NO president [should] be blocking investigators from doing their jobs. #EqualUnderLaw,” she continued.

Coulter wasn’t alone in her frustration. Calls to imprison Clinton, wasn’t a passing idea in the Trump campaign—it was a central tenet. After all, this reversal comes after a long campaign during which Trump and his allies and his surrogates had made “LOCK HER UP!” chants and “Hillary for Prison” swag staples of Trump rallies.

“BROKEN PROMISE,” declared Breitbart—a far-right website previously run by Stephen Bannon, Trump’s incoming White House chief strategist.

Former tea-party congressman Joe Walsh, who tweeted in July that “Hillary Clinton should be in prison,” didn’t seem too pleased, either.

“When he said ‘Lock her up’ what he really meant was ‘Help her heal,’” Walsh tweeted sarcastically on Tuesday.

Sophistication, Mac, precludes sourcing dingbat sites, especially one of many scrambling to make excuses for failure, in support of an argument.

It just plays into what I've believed all along: There is no reason to believe a thing that a partisan says.

My concern is that we have real problems that need to be addressed, and blatant, rampant, open, constant dishonesty isn't usually the way to fix problems.

And by the way, I also don't believe for a moment that there aren't plenty of Trumpsters in those rallies who were taking this "Lock Her Up" thing seriously.
I'm going to break something to you here Mac. I hope you're sitting down for this one.

There is no Santa Clause, not even an Easter Bunny!

Sorry.
You may want to tell that to the Trumpsters who will be disappointed by this development.

And please, let's not call them "sophisticated" again.
The "sophistication" I referred to was about you and in the conditional.
Ah, okay. I'm just not as sophisticated as a Trumpster, stipulated.

I do know enough not to believe partisans, though, and that includes Trumpsters' spin to cover their disappointment. Here's what is actually happening:

‘Hillary for Prison’ Crew Turns on Donald Trump

Trump told the Times, regarding his supporters, “I don’t think they’ll be disappointed.”

He thought wrong.

Many of Trump’s more high-profile fans, surrogates, and allies are angry about this about-face and insist “Crooked Hillary”—as Trump dubbed her throughout the campaign—be locked up.

“I’m hearing from people who are livid at Hillary, they’re still mad,” Rush Limbaugh, the famous conservative talk show host, said on Tuesday afternoon. “There are a lot of people who really thought that when Trump said ‘You oughta be in jail,’ that they agreed with that and thought that she should be!”

“Whoa! I thought we elected [Donald Trump] president,” Ann Coulter, conservative pundit and one of Trump’s most loyal media boosters, tweeted in response to the news. “Did we make him the FBI, & DOJ? His job is to pick those guys, not do their jobs.

“As happy as I am that our long national nightmare’s over, NO president [should] be blocking investigators from doing their jobs. #EqualUnderLaw,” she continued.

Coulter wasn’t alone in her frustration. Calls to imprison Clinton, wasn’t a passing idea in the Trump campaign—it was a central tenet. After all, this reversal comes after a long campaign during which Trump and his allies and his surrogates had made “LOCK HER UP!” chants and “Hillary for Prison” swag staples of Trump rallies.

“BROKEN PROMISE,” declared Breitbart—a far-right website previously run by Stephen Bannon, Trump’s incoming White House chief strategist.

Former tea-party congressman Joe Walsh, who tweeted in July that “Hillary Clinton should be in prison,” didn’t seem too pleased, either.

“When he said ‘Lock her up’ what he really meant was ‘Help her heal,’” Walsh tweeted sarcastically on Tuesday.

Sophistication, Mac, precludes sourcing dingbat sites, especially one of many scrambling to make excuses for failure, in support of an argument.
Okay, we can pretend that Trumpsters weren't taking this seriously, you win. I'm on USMB right now, I can pretend anything.

Yes. It is a stretch to think that millions of people could believe things that aren't true and use that belief to make a voting decision.

Things like Trump promising to jail Clinton. Things like Trump building a wall and deporting all undocumented immigrants. Things like Hillary Clinton being crooked or on her death bed.

Who'd believe these things? Why....clearly intelligent people who have America's best interests at heart, that's who.

Straight up......Clinton didn't earn her negative approval rating. She wasn't able to overcome it.....but she shouldn't have had to. Gullible people.....and lots of people who didn't invest enough time.....perceive her to be dishonest and corrupt. And...as Meathead has so clearly stated in this thread....that perception is all that matters.
Funny thing is...NO ONE BELIEVES A WORD HILLARY SAYS...BUT YOU STILL VOTED FOR HER.

Last edited:
Those 4 dead americans were used by slimy hypocrites pretending to care for them.
Those "slimey hypocrites" ensured that those men did not die in vain and saw to it that a price was paid for the scumbags who lied about the reasons for their murder because of a political agenda. There was no person more directly responsible than the Beast and perhaps Susan Rice.

It was a job well done.
Pretzel "logic".

President-elect Donald Trump on Friday acknowledged his threat to imprison Hillary Clinton for using a private email server during her time as secretary of state was simply an appeal to win voters.

As Trump spoke at a rally in Grand Rapids, Michigan, as part of his post-election “Thank You Tour,” some supporters began chanting “lock her up” ― a common refrain during the Republican convention and Trump’s campaign events.

“No, it’s okay,” Trump said as the crowd jeered a reference to Clinton. “Forget it. That plays great before the election. Now, we don’t care, right?”

More: Trump Admits His Threat To Lock Up Hillary Was Just For Show

Everything about Trump is "just for show"...
Hillary lied every time she opened her mouth, but millions of Americans still voted for her. Are those Americans stupid in your mind and deserving of scorn?

Funny thing is...NO ONE BELIEVES A WORD HILLARY SAYS...BUT YOU STILL VOTED FOR HER.

You've done it again.

Well, let's be clear now, one of the strengths and sources of frustration by some in regards to The Donald is that you just don't know. He says things publicly that is often meant to confuse and keep people off balance. I don't think he is going after Clinton, but much of this is out of his hands, unless he is going to issue a pardon. This is up to the FBI, AG and others to decide if there has been a crime.

What will really harm his support and disenchant his supporters, would be a realisation that the core of his campaign promises were also for show. If that's the case, you can be sure the Democrats will reverse power in the WH within two years, complete the overhaul in four. He has to keep his promises. When you repeat your policies over and over like a marketing campaign, it sticks in peoples minds and they expect action.

Well, let's be clear now, one of the strengths and sources of frustration by some in regards to The Donald is that you just don't know. He says things publicly that is often meant to confuse and keep people off balance. I don't think he is going after Clinton, but much of this is out of his hands, unless he is going to issue a pardon. This is up to the FBI, AG and others to decide if there has been a crime.

What will really harm his support and disenchant his supporters, would be a realisation that the core of his campaign promises were also for show. If that's the case, you can be sure the Democrats will reverse power in the WH within two years, complete the overhaul in four. He has to keep his promises. When you repeat your policies over and over like a marketing campaign, it sticks in peoples minds and they expect action.

I would have agreed with that in the past. But...now...the facts really don't matter.

Agreed.

We had only two choices for POTUS and both were bad. Thing is the D choice was a well known bad choice and no one could seriously believe ANYTHING she said. Trump was change and many Americans want change. She was the status quo candidate...and many Americans are sick of Big Ears...so she lost. The election was as much about her as BO.

On the bright side, the lib MSM will hold Trump to his campaign promises and vigorous attack him if he reneges, unlike what they have done in blowing Obama every day.

President-elect Donald Trump on Friday acknowledged his threat to imprison Hillary Clinton for using a private email server during her time as secretary of state was simply an appeal to win voters.

As Trump spoke at a rally in Grand Rapids, Michigan, as part of his post-election “Thank You Tour,” some supporters began chanting “lock her up” ― a common refrain during the Republican convention and Trump’s campaign events.

“No, it’s okay,” Trump said as the crowd jeered a reference to Clinton. “Forget it. That plays great before the election. Now, we don’t care, right?”

Sorry he let you down.

No not everything appears to be a show. He was also talking about KILLING the special interests that have been plaguing Washington for years. Such as ex politicians going to work for foreign companies or domestic companies
that they deal with while in office. IT Could just be, that Trump realizes there are some more important things to take care of. Going after Hillary would put the skids on helping Americans where they need the help. When money
starts coming back into the US, you'll see infrastructure being upgraded in these cities like Detroit and Chicago.
Hillary never would do any of this, as it turns out, she's just a 'Good O'l Boy' after all. If your really upset about her
escaping incarceration though, you should just invite her out to the Rez, and bury her neck deep in one of those red ant piles for an hour or two. Maybe time to handle things the real American way.
Congress could pass a law to prevented ex-congressmen from registering as lobbyist. You could not keep them for working for foreign countries.

Sorry he let you down.

No not everything appears to be a show. He was also talking about KILLING the special interests that have been plaguing Washington for years. Such as ex politicians going to work for foreign companies or domestic companies
that they deal with while in office. IT Could just be, that Trump realizes there are some more important things to take care of. Going after Hillary would put the skids on helping Americans where they need the help. When money
starts coming back into the US, you'll see infrastructure being upgraded in these cities like Detroit and Chicago.
Hillary never would do any of this, as it turns out, she's just a 'Good O'l Boy' after all. If your really upset about her
escaping incarceration though, you should just invite her out to the Rez, and bury her neck deep in one of those red ant piles for an hour or two. Maybe time to handle things the real American way.
Congress could pass a law to prevented ex-congressmen from registering as lobbyist. You could not keep them for working for foreign countries.
How about ex-presidents and SoS giving speeches,

Should we drain the swamp?

Well, we'll see if Sessions agrees with Comey, won't we?

Of course he will. All the previous investigations were nothing more than an effort to discredit her for the election. The election is over. All that circus has already folded it's tent.

One of two things have to happen before a legal case is final, a jury verdict, or the statute of limitations expire. Neither have occurred in her case. Also the investigations into the foundation and pay to play are still ongoing. She's a long way from out of the woods at this point. Oh I almost forgot, the congressional referral for perjury is still pending.
She is not going to be charged with anything as long she doesn't run for office. If she had announced that she would not run in 2016, the House investigation would have dried up for for lack of interest and there would have been no FBI investigation. The House Government and Oversight Committee has now shifted it's focusing on Trump and his vast financial entanglements.

Of course he will. All the previous investigations were nothing more than an effort to discredit her for the election. The election is over. All that circus has already folded it's tent.

One of two things have to happen before a legal case is final, a jury verdict, or the statute of limitations expire. Neither have occurred in her case. Also the investigations into the foundation and pay to play are still ongoing. She's a long way from out of the woods at this point. Oh I almost forgot, the congressional referral for perjury is still pending.
She is not going to be charged with anything as long she doesn't run for office. If she had announced that she would not run in 2016, the House investigation would have dried up for for lack of interest and there would have been no FBI investigation. The House Government and Oversight Committee has now shifted it's focusing on Trump and his vast financial entanglements.
You are probably right, but that does not make it right.

It is naive to think the elites are subject to the same level of law enforcement as the rest of us. Clearly she is above the law and this is an indication that justice in American is not blind.

Clearly she is above the law and this is an indication that justice in American is not blind.

There is no justice in America at all. Practically zero.

Were you under the impression that the law is justice? It is anything but.

None of Trumps business are in conflict with any law dealing with your imaginary entanglements.

Haven't given up hopes for the indictment for killing Vince Foster, have you?

Forum List

Back